Should Christians Love Everyone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians Love Everyone Regardless Of Anything?

• Absolutely Yes!

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No, Not Necessarily.

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should Christians who are taught to be forgiving and Loving to their neighbors and even bless our enemies and pray for them...so does that mean that we become passivists? Turn the other cheek? Be totally accepting to all?

I heard one time a guy say, one who turns the other cheek too far, gets it in the neck,,,and that makes sense to me, lol. So I voted no. Our fight is not with flesh and blood anyway, it is with principalities and powers, all types of evil spirits and demons. But that doesn't mean that you can not righteously defend yourself against an attack. When someone is trying to harm you or kill you is not the time to evangelize to them. They at least have to be a non-threat to be evangelized to. That's my way of thinking.

"Understand that the enemy is not the enemy in his own eyes. Remember this for it may offer you an opportunity to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate, and quickly."
Lazarus Long. (Robert Heinlein.)

What say ye? Because this is a dangerous time in history and everyone's television is screaming at them to...accept the gays, accept the immigrants, accept less rights, accept more control, be loving christians and accept accept accept, just like Jesus would do...

See the difference?

Reactions: St. SteVen

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for posting this question.

Christians have the two great commandments to guide them: Love God and Love Thy Neighbor. The latter implies we are to be gentle & kind to our neighbors, as well as care for them and share (resources) with them.

Jesus famously said we are to love our enemies, which implies even our enemies are our neighbors.

When his enemies plotted to kill him, Jesus fled (Matthew 12: 14,15) as did the Apostle Paul (Acts 9: 23-25).

Thus, a Christian’s choices seem to be to flee from enemies or to stand and suffer.

Historically, Christians fled from persecution in e.g., Europe, to a safe haven in the U.S.

So, if our safe havens are no longer safe, where does that leave Christians?

Peace and blessings.

Reactions: Cassandra

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think 'should' is not needed. We will respond according to the compassion or lack of that we have.
He who has been forgiven much, loves much.

Reactions: amadeus

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for posting this question.

Christians have the two great commandments to guide them: Love God and Love Thy Neighbor. The latter implies we are to be gentle & kind to our neighbors, as well as care for them and share (resources) with them.

Jesus famously said we are to love our enemies, which implies even our enemies are our neighbors.

When his enemies plotted to kill him, Jesus fled (Matthew 12: 14,15) as did the Apostle Paul (Acts 9: 23-25).

Thus, a Christian’s choices seem to be to flee from enemies or to stand and suffer.

Historically, Christians fled from persecution in e.g., Europe, to a safe haven in the U.S.

So, if our safe havens are no longer safe, where does that leave Christians?

Peace and blessings.

Everything you said is true and I agree, but Jesus did not always flee! He used to scream at those scribes and pharisees, Hypocrites! Vipers! He even made him a sort of cat o nine tails and beat the money exchangers in the temple and turned over their tables and booted them out. All those people were human flesh & blood. True enough He forgave all of them but to their face He was in their face and confrontational with them. So that got me to thinking that there might be more to the two greatest commandments than a simple, love everyone.

Some people when you meet them, you are not in combat. But you may be able to tell if you can not trust this person. Just a gut feeling I've got before. It happens to others at times. Can we love someone and not trust them?

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think 'should' is not needed. We will respond according to the compassion or lack of that we have.
He who has been forgiven much, loves much.

I also think you're right. I have such a different kind of heart than I used to like say when I was 20 or 25. It didn't happen real fast but I noticed it over time. I began reacting differently than I used to. I used to look for humor in sad movies. I was the guy who didn't cry when Old Yeller got shot. 26 years married and never cried to one chick flick that the wife made me watch, lol.

But I did the first time when I watched the Passion of the Christ for the first time. Not only that but reacting to life situations showed non-typical reactions from me. It almost like, all things have become new. Like the old man is dead and I am a new man compared to how I was. I think I know what did it too. It had to be reading the bible consistently, every day.

I got to thinking one day that one day I will stand before Jesus, we all will. And the thought occured to me, what if Jesus says, did you read my book? And I had read much of it before bits and pieces in church or study. But not cover to cover. And I thought how embarassed am I going to be if I have to say no I didb't Lord?! So I started reading it cover to cover. Every day. 3 chapters per day and you will complet the bible in one year, incl both old and new testaments.

I have to say, when you read scripture every day, it has an effect upon you. Pretty much supernatural and profound. It wasnt hard to notice it! I'm on my 4th time cover to cover this year? I think so, 4 or 5. I think it must be something to do with the saanctification process which takes time. Reading your Bible every day will change your heart into a better person.

Not that I'm perfect at all though. This is like spiritual boot camp on earth, special forces for sure! And it's designed for us to fail the course. What does make us pass the course is by reading the Field Manual (Bible) diligently and calling in on the Radio (Prayer) to headquarters for help because we can see that we will fail unless He fights for us...Right?

King David, a man after God's own heart! David committed adultrey with His employees wife and then had the guy murdered to cover it up, remember? David & Bathsheba. This is the same man who is a man after God's own heart! (How is this possible?) Simple. He owned up to it. Asked forgiveness and repented of it and most importantly, David turned back to the Lord.

We all are destined to fail but how many times do we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and get reconciled with the Lord. That is what makes David a man after God's own heart.

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should Christians who are taught to be forgiving and Loving to their neighbors and even bless our enemies and pray for them...so does that mean that we become passivists? Turn the other cheek? Be totally accepting to all?

I heard one time a guy say, one who turns the other cheek too far, gets it in the neck,,,and that makes sense to me, lol. So I voted no. Our fight is not with flesh and blood anyway, it is with principalities and powers, all types of evil spirits and demons. But that doesn't mean that you can not righteously defend yourself against an attack. When someone is trying to harm you or kill you is not the time to evangelize to them. They at least have to be a non-threat to be evangelized to. That's my way of thinking.

"Understand that the enemy is not the enemy in his own eyes. Remember this for it may offer you an opportunity to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate, and quickly."
Lazarus Long. (Robert Heinlein.)

What say ye? Because this is a dangerous time in history and everyone's television is screaming at them to...accept the gays, accept the immigrants, accept less rights, accept more control, be loving christians and accept accept accept, just like Jesus would do...

See the difference?

If, and since it is true, that "some have entertained angels unawares", certainly the same is true of demons.

Reactions: MA2444

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are living in a time where the true meaning of love has been perverted, Jesus said love your neighbor, not to critique him, to turn the cheek was a symbolic way of saying turn the page, start anew, forgetting the pass, a huge effort of faith has to be made to even attempt that when you know ones will hurt, dislike you and plot against you, however ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD

This being MLK day how appropriate this question, one of his quotes state
"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend."

With this first being a commandment from God, we as Christians should press toward the mark of the high calling, being wise as serpents

Reactions: amadeus and MA2444

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything you said is true and I agree, but Jesus did not always flee! He used to scream at those scribes and pharisees, Hypocrites! Vipers! He even made him a sort of cat o nine tails and beat the money exchangers in the temple and turned over their tables and booted them out. All those people were human flesh & blood. True enough He forgave all of them but to their face He was in their face and confrontational with them. So that got me to thinking that there might be more to the two greatest commandments than a simple, love everyone.

Some people when you meet them, you are not in combat. But you may be able to tell if you can not trust this person. Just a gut feeling I've got before. It happens to others at times. Can we love someone and not trust them?
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, it was John Baptist who called them vipers. Did Jesus scream “Hypocrites” at them, or sternly reprimand them?

Also, Jesus did not whip money changers! (He turned over their tables.) He used a whip of cords to drive sheep and cattle from the temple (stinging the rump of a couple would have gotten the bunch moving out, which would have routed the money changers and knocked over tables in the process). See Matthew 21:12; Mark 11:15; John 2:15.

Reactions: MA2444 and Pearl

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord loves all people... but excepts very few.

That's because very few actually turn away from their sin and walk with Him.

Without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14)

2 Corinthians 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Holiness is turn away from sin and being set apart unto the Lord and not whoring around with the world.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't forget the Golden Proverb:

You don't need to like someone to be kind to them, and you don't need to keep being kind to be liked (selah)

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, it was John Baptist who called them vipers. Did Jesus scream “Hypocrites” at them, or sternly reprimand them?

Also, Jesus did not whip money changers! (He turned over their tables.) He used a whip of cords to drive sheep and cattle from the temple (stinging the rump of a couple would have gotten the bunch moving out, which would have routed the money changers and knocked over tables in the process). See Matthew 21:12; Mark 11:15; John 2:15.

Are you saying that Jesus did not get angry at them?

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget the Golden Proverb:

You don't need to like someone to be kind to them, and you don't need to keep being kind to be liked (selah)

That's a good thought at this time of the morning, lol. I've heard men say of their wives, I love her but I dont like her.

Robert Heinlein commented pretty close also.

"Understand that the enemy is not the enemy in his own eyes...
This may offer you an oppurtunity to make him your friend.
If not, you can kill him without hate, and quickly."

Reactions: Gottservant

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Should Christians Love Everyone Regardless Of Anything?​

That statement is like being half way around a race track believing what’s sought is at the end of the track, when in fact it’s still the beginning.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that Jesus did not get angry at them?
Thank you for your question.

Isn’t anger an internal state? God, too, became angry with people (Exodus 22: 22-24; et seq.). Might He be angry about something you or I have done? As for Jesus’ action in the temple, see John 2: 17.

Surely it is what we do with our anger that will separate us from God. God says: do not contemplate vengeance, nor hold grudges, or bear anyone ill will. Let go of your anger and animosity. The commandment is to be gentle and kind.

Peace and blessings.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If, and since it is true, that "some have entertained angels unawares", certainly the same is true of demons.

I must've missed your post before, sorry.

That's a good point. Personally, because of ephesians 6 I wonder if the earth is so saturated with spiritual beings (of both kinds) that most of mankind do not realize the extent of the demonic oppression on earth. Maybe you or I have a demon? How would we even know it?

I bet most mental illnesses are directly caused by demons. Some may not be, I dont know. Other infirmities are prolly linked to demonic activity, like cancer maybe. Others might be due to the curse of the earth at the fall of man?

I think the BTGQ's and trans, and gays all their ilk are all possessed by demons which they need deliverance from. It's prolly a group of demons working together. The spirit of lust, the spirit of depravity, spirit of homosexual? Who knows how many different ones they are. They didn't have the demon at first. They werent always gay. But they had that gay friend which brought it up, and the kid, wanting to be a good friend, accepted what the gay guy was saying to keep the peace. Because it was at that point that he should have thrown the a=gy man out of his house! But he didnt, so he came into agreement with that spirit and the spirit entered him also...

Coming into agreement with any form of evil opens a door for demons to come in. They need cast out. Derek Prince in his teaching videos tells about casting out many many of these evil spirits from people. He said all of them pretty much said thay their fingers tingled when the spirit left them. So when they are cast out, it goes out of their fingertips.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Letting go of anger is not possible because emotion isn’t an object or possession.
Allowing an interpretation to change, such that anger is no longer felt, is possible.
Acknowledging the emotion disappointment feels slightly better.
Mental illness & demons are terms which really mean not acknowledging emotions already felt.
They’re thoughts, concepts believed to make sense of the emotions felt, which don’t.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your question.

Isn’t anger an internal state? God, too, became angry with people (Exodus 22: 22-24; et seq.). Might He be angry about something you or I have done? As for Jesus’ action in the temple, see John 2: 17.

Surely it is what we do with our anger that will separate us from God. God says: do not contemplate vengeance, nor hold grudges, or bear anyone ill will. Let go of your anger and animosity. The commandment is to be gentle and kind.

Peace and blessings.

Hmm. But those people needed thrown out right then. Not with left behind grudges, just get out. Someone has to have zeal enough to do the right thing and sometimes all that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Love him on his way out the door by speaking truth to him and standing for what is right.