"My doctrinal opinion is true; you're doctrinal opinion is false." - Got it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"My doctrinal opinion is true; you're doctrinal opinion is false." - Got it?

Say what?

Or worse...

"Who should I believe, you, or the Word of God?" (in reference to a man-made doctrinal opinion)

Basically, playing the "God card" to win a doctrinal argument. "How will you top that?"

Why do we treat each other this way?

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IDOLATRY. Christendom is filled with IDOLATRY. Their IDOL is their doctrine.

I just finished a Bible Study entitled "Three Strands." We discussed this very point in some detail. The human condition cannot seem to stick to the simplicity of the Gospel. It is so simple.
  1. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
  2. Love God with your all and others as yourself.
  3. Forgive others as your Heavenly Father has forgiven you.
Not to say there is not more in the 66 books but these make up the heart of it. One more major point I ought to add is the EGO, the doorway to spiritual growth is humility, to die to self. Because of the EGO, because people like to muck up the simple by complicating the heart of it, we have pervasive IDOLATRY.

The CJB makes it clear what we call the 1C & 2C are truly tied. False gods and idols, including man-made or even man-held doctrines, are prohibited. One of the biggest IDOLS in Christianity, although not the biggest, is the IDOLATRY of a translation.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IDOLATRY. Christendom is filled with IDOLATRY. Their IDOL is their doctrine.

I just finished a Bible Study entitled "Three Strands." We discussed this very point in some detail. The human condition cannot seem to stick to the simplicity of the Gospel. It is so simple.
  1. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
  2. Love God with your all and others as yourself.
  3. Forgive others as your Heavenly Father has forgiven you.
Not to say there is not more in the 66 books but these make up the heart of it. One more major point I ought to add is the EGO, the doorway to spiritual growth is humility, to die to self. Because of the EGO, because people like to muck up the simple by complicating the heart of it, we have pervasive IDOLATRY.

The CJB makes it clear what we call the 1C & 2C are truly tied. False gods and idols, including man-made or even man-held doctrines, are prohibited. One of the biggest IDOLS in Christianity, although not the biggest, is the IDOLATRY of a translation.
Awesome post, thanks.
This needs to be SHOUTED loud and clear.
"Christendom is filled with IDOLATRY. Their IDOL is their doctrine." - @Wrangler

Same thing can happen with the Bible. Bibliolatry. I ask these fine folks,
"What would become of your faith if you put your library on the curb on trash day?"
Don't get me wrong, I use the Bible every day, but it's not my God.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awesome post, thanks.
This needs to be SHOUTED loud and clear.
"Christendom is filled with IDOLATRY. Their IDOL is their doctrine." - @Wrangler

Same thing can happen with the Bible. Bibliolatry. I ask these fine folks,
"What would become of your faith if you put your library on the curb on trash day?"
Don't get me wrong, I use the Bible every day, but it's not my God.
Clever word, Bibliolatry, but essentially meaningless.

Why would anyone throw away God's word? It isn't anyone's God, but it is the words of God, not garbage.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrangler's comment that "Christendom is filled with IDOLATRY. Their IDOL is their doctrine" is nonsense.

An idol is an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship. I have never seen anyone put their Bible on a stand and bow down to it (although KJVOs come close).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Basically, playing the "God card" to win a doctrinal argument. "How will you top that?"
Let's get real. There is sound doctrine and there is false doctrine. If you hold to sound doctrine, no one in their right mind can (or will) object. But if you promote false doctrine, then you will need to be corrected. If you refuse correction it is at your own peril. And all sound doctrine is found in the written Word of God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would anyone throw away God's word? It isn't anyone's God, but it is the words of God, not garbage.
Do you need an intervention? - LOL

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's get real. There is sound doctrine and there is false doctrine. If you hold to sound doctrine, no one in their right mind can (or will) object. But if you promote false doctrine, then you will need to be corrected. If you refuse correction it is at your own peril. And all sound doctrine is found in the written Word of God.
Yes, let's get real.
There is no consensus on "sound doctrine", or "false doctrine".
Whose opinion on "sound doctrine" and "false doctrine" should we use?

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a world where hundreds of groups twist the Bible to their bent:

“…What is truth?” (John 18:38)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whose opinion on "sound doctrine" and "false doctrine" should we use?
No opinions. Just what is revealed in the Bible. Let's take the doctrine of the deity of Christ? Do all Christians believe that Jesus is God? Absolutely. Is that clearly spelled out in the Bible? Absolutely. Do all cults reject that doctrine? Absolutely. So you can join the Christians or you can join the cults.

• Haha
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No opinions. Just what is revealed in the Bible. Let's take the doctrine of the deity of Christ? Do all Christians believe that Jesus is God? Absolutely. Is that clearly spelled out in the Bible? Absolutely. Do all cults reject that doctrine? Absolutely. So you can join the Christians or you can join the cults.
How about baptism? Do all Christians agree?
Salvation? Gifts of the Spirit? Eschatology? Eternal security? Works? The law? Shall I continue?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An idol is an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
Jim, you're actually on the right track here. Theology/doctrine is an intellectual or conceptual model used to understand what God is like and what He wants from us. Model <=> image/representation. I would almost claim that this type of idolatry is pretty much unavoidable, because finite humans cannot understand an infinite God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did I claim that God's word is paper and ink?

You are ready to throw your Bible in the garbage.
Post #4 quoted below.

I don't use a paper and ink Bible.

What form of God's word could be thrown away? (put in the garbage) Paper and ink.

You have avoided the ACTUAL question. Are you ready to answer now?

(I'm not asking you to do that, but to consider whether you are a Bibliolator)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
finite humans cannot understand an infinite God.

“Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things.” (Proverbs 28:5)

Theology/doctrine is an intellectual or conceptual model used to understand what God is like and what He wants from us

“He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” (Micah 6:8)