My take on the Baptism in the Spirit...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alley Oop

Mar 30, 2022
Western Hemisphere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 2: 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save JESUS CHRIST,AND HIM CRUCIFIED.

Any thing other than this brings about those who reject the BHS and how He works in the believer!
That is all he could preach being babes and carnal -
I Corinthians 3
And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
1 Corinthians 2: 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save JESUS CHRIST,AND HIM CRUCIFIED.

Any thing other than this brings about those who reject the BHS and how He works in the believer!

Can you explain this a bit more given that a large part of Paul's teaching was not about the crucifixion specifically.

Alley Oop

Mar 30, 2022
Western Hemisphere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all he could preach being babes and carnal -
I Corinthians 3
And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
@Carl Emerson - this answers your question on why Paul could only speak to them about Christ Crucified. They could not handle meat. Just like Jimmy Swaggart, always talking about the CROSS.

Alley Oop

Mar 30, 2022
Western Hemisphere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you not a Christian yourself?

If you are then you will know that death is not the end.
so you plan on dying physically, even though II Corinthians 5:4 states NOT that we want to be unclothed, but clothed upon.
The death-cults of christianity are safe with you.
No "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Romans 12:2) for those in the Wide Gate to Death - Matthew 7:13

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
One lives with the Hope of the Resurrection - this is not a matter of 'planning to die' as you claim...

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Lets get bak to the subject of the thread...

Is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit provided by God for those choosing to serve Him effectively today ???

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets get back to the subject of the thread...
Precious friend, Great Idea, but my problem is the choice of words:

1) Baptism/baptized in the Spirit = not found in Scripture

2) Baptism/baptized of the Spirit = not found in Scripture

IF these are not in Scripture, how can there be a fruitful discussion?

3) Baptism/baptized With The Holy Ghost =
Mat_3:11; Mar_1:8; Luk_3:16; Acts_11:16

4) Baptism/Baptized BY One Spirit = 1 Corinthians 12:13

So, studying/analyzing these as to God's Purpose for each,
and to whom each is administered should be fruitful, Correct?

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: Enoch111

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All others would receive a temporary blessing of the presence of the Spirit but Jesus received this permanently.

I liked your post. The above is the only thing I had issue with. The baptism with the Holy Spirit could not happen to others until after Jesus died and was resurrected. Both were necessary.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, Great Idea, but my problem is the choice of words:

1) Baptism/baptized in the Spirit = not found in Scripture

2) Baptism/baptized of the Spirit = not found in Scripture

IF these are not in Scripture, how can there be a fruitful discussion?

3) Baptism/baptized With The Holy Ghost =
Mat_3:11; Mar_1:8; Luk_3:16; Acts_11:16

So, studying/analyzing these as to God's Purpose for each,
and to whom each is administered should be fruitful, Correct?

GRACE And Peace...

Acts 1
5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

The point is, no matter how you say it, we MUST be indwelt with the Holy Spirit to become born again, and also be free from sin.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

Is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit provided by God for those choosing to serve Him effectively today ???

We have adversaries in the heavens, what are mere humans supposed to do about them? God's benefits are too great, and I know I am too weak on my own. I doubt someone would last very long if they were able to advance the Kingdom but didn't have the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Recall the work of Jesus in Luke 22:31-32, which is the encouragement we can expect now from the Holy Spirit. "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I agree, I don't recall saying otherwise.
\
I'm sorry, I thought you were implying that people received a temporary baptism of the Holy Spirit from John the Baptist's repentance baptism.

You had said: All others would receive a temporary blessing of the presence of the Spirit but Jesus received this permanently.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
3) Baptism/baptized With The Holy Ghost =Mat_3:11; Mar_1:8; Luk_3:16; Acts_11:16
Good point and very important. Here Christ Himself is the Baptizer, and this "baptism" is in fact "the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38) to those who repent and believe. Thus Paul says that the Holy Spirit is poured out ("shed on us") upon those who have been saved by grace (Titus 3:6) which results in the New Birth.
Here the Holy Spirit is the Baptizer and here it is the "immersion" of the believer into the Body of Christ. Both baptisms are spiritual and simultaneous upon conversion. Thus the believer is "in Christ" and remains "in Christ", and also has the indwelling Holy Spirit.

The term "baptism in the Holy Spirit" is not found in Scripture but is part and parcel of the Pentecostal doctrine of speaking in tongues as a "sign" of the fullness of the Spirit. Thus these tongues-speakers are called "Spirit-filled" (which would mean that those who have not spoken in modern tongues are NOT Spirit-filled). Which creates a problem. Christ never spoke in tongues but He was Spirit-filled from the date of His conception. So was John the Baptizer, who rebuked Herod while Spirit-filled.

But what Scripture shows is that those who were Spirit-filled spoke the Word of God with boldness (Acts 4:13,29,31). So to be "Spirit-filled" is to walk in the Spirit and do what Christ did as noted in Luke chapter 4:1 and 4:18,19, and preach the Gospel to "every creature".

A. And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness...

This is when Christ defeated the temptations of Satan with the Sword of the Spirit (the Word of God). He spoke the Word boldly.

B.
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Here we have a summation of the ministry of Christ, which should be the ministry of every Spirit-filled believer. "He hath anointed me" is a reference to "Messiah" (Heb Mashiach) which means "the Anointed One". We should also recall that according to Daniel's prophecy "Messiah was cut off, but not for Himself" and John the Baptist was "cut off" very early in his ministry by Herod. Also, all the apostles were martyred.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
\
I'm sorry, I thought you were implying that people received a temporary baptism of the Holy Spirit from John the Baptist's repentance baptism.

You had said: All others would receive a temporary blessing of the presence of the Spirit but Jesus received this permanently.

It was common for the Holy Spirit to empower the folks temporary for a task under the old covenant. That was not the same as a permanent anointing that comes when one is Baptised with the Spirit under the New Covenant..

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Freely Choosing to Submit to Gods Baptism of the Holy Spirit, is a Service of man unto God.
The Service itself (according to Gods Order and Way), IS the precise way, a man Reveals his True Love for God, By agreeing to lay down his own life, (crucified with Christ) For God.

John 15:
[13] Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Thereafter, a man can DO WORKS, that glorify God, and such WORKS that DO Glorify God, shall be rewarded, BY the Son of man.

How does a man, who has laid down his life, and Become a Servant, KNOW what WORKS he shall do?

Matt. 13:
[34] For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.

The Scriptures are full of what works to do...speak Gods word, tell others Gods word, Give God credit and thankfulness for His blessings and Gifts, Worship and Praise God, Give Charity, ie ministering aid to the poor in spirit, accrediting God.
(I am not talking about man-made welfare, freebies, donating used things you no longer want.)
Gods Word IS a saved mans Precious Possession IN that man. Giving Gods Word to others, IS a WORKS, of giving others WHAT IS your Precious Possession.
(The World OF men is exponentially trying to remove God, His Word, from daily speech, leaning toward forbidding He or His Word to be spoken and leaning toward threatening punishments and in some instances have punished people for speaking of God and His Word.)

Such is the case; 2,000 years ago, and today...as was in question and answered by Scripture.

Acts 5:
[28] Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
[29] Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Acts 5:
[40] And to him they (council of men) agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they (council of men) commanded that they (apostles) should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
[41] And they (the apostles) departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
[42] And daily in the temple, and in every house, they (the apostles) ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

Rev 22:
[12] And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus Baptised me with the Holy Spirit 17 years after I was born again.
You could say that you received the fulness of the Spirit at that time. If you recall the eleven apostles received the gift of the Holy Spirit on the day that Christ rose from the dead (John 20:22). But they received the fulness of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). So when you were born again you received the gift of the Holy Spirit (like all believers as in Acts 2:38).

When we turn to Titus 3:4-7, we see a number of spiritual realities coming together at the time of salvation, including the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

1. SALVATION IS BASED UPON THE KINDNESS AND LOVE OF GOD
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared...

2. WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS DO NOT SAVE ANYONE
...not by works of righteousness which we have done...

3. SALVATION IS PURELY BASED UPON THE MERCY OF GOD
...but according to his mercy he saved us...

4. REGENERATION (THE NEW BIRTH) IS A PART OF SALVATION
....by the washing of regeneration... [Note: this is a spiritual internal washing or cleansing]

5. THE HOLY SPIRIT CREATES A NEW PERSON IN CHRIST
...and renewing of the Holy Ghost... [Note: "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation"]

6. THIS IS THE BAPTISM WITH (OR GIFT OF) THE HOLY SPIRIT BY CHRIST HIMSELF
Which [Holy Spirit] he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

7. AND IT ACCOMPANIES JUSTIFICATION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH
...That being justified by his grace...

8. AND WE IMMEDIATELY BECOME HEIRS OF GOD
...we should be made heirs...

9. WHEN WE RECEIVE THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE
...according to the hope of eternal life.

As anyone can see above, God does an amazing supernatural work when He saves a soul from Hell.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You could say that you received the fulness of the Spirit at that time. If you recall the eleven apostles received the gift of the Holy Spirit on the day that Christ rose from the dead (John 20:22). But they received the fulness of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). So when you were born again you received the gift of the Holy Spirit (like all be

Why do you feel to avoid using the Biblical term "Baptism with the Spirit"

John said Jesus would Baptise with the Spirit and He does...