My take on the Baptism in the Spirit...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here the Holy Spirit is the Baptizer and here it is the "immersion" of the believer into the Body of Christ. Both baptisms are spiritual and simultaneous upon conversion. Thus the believer is "in Christ" and remains "in Christ", and also has the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Until you have experienced the second move of the Spirit in your life, you will continue to deny the existence thereof. when we are Born again we receive an "earnest" of the Spirit, which is literally a down payment, then later in our walk we receive a fulness of the Spirit. When Jesus Speaks of the virgins and the Oil in Matthew 25:1-13 this is what he is speaking of (Having enough oil).

I grew up in fundamentalism, and they do not teach this, to their own detriment. When I was young I had the Baptism of the Spirit in my Baptist church, I tried to express this to the adults in my church and was told to not say anything. They were afraid of this. Therein IMO lies the problem in modern fundamentalism, a spirit of fear rather than the fulness of the Spirit.

I encourage you as a fundamentalist to let go of this spirit of fear and move onto the fulness of the Holy Spirit.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, Great Idea, but my problem is the choice of words:

1) Baptism/baptized in the Spirit = not found in Scripture

2) Baptism/baptized of the Spirit = not found in Scripture

IF these are not in Scripture, how can there be a fruitful discussion?

3) Baptism/baptized With The Holy Ghost =
Mat_3:11; Mar_1:8; Luk_3:16; Acts_11:16

4) Baptism/Baptized BY One Spirit = 1 Corinthians 12:13

So, studying/analyzing these as to God's Purpose for each,
and to whom each is administered should be fruitful, Correct?

GA,
The Apostles received the Spirit When Christ breathed on them in John 20:22, they received the Spirit in fulness at Pentecost. These are two different events in the life of the believer. We see this play out in the writing of Paul as well, particularly in his prayer found in Ephesians 3:14-21, where he encourages the Ephesian church to be filled with the fulness of God.

I am not talking the wacky charismatic stuff here that we see in some churches, but a real and vitalizing move of the Spirit in your self, in your "inner man". (Ephesians 3:16) Pray that prayer in Ephesians, meditate on those words and what they imply. Paul wrote this to a church, a body of believers that had the earnest of the Holy Ghost encouraging them... " that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." (Ephesians 3:19)

God bless.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Thr pillar of cloud and fire lead Israel through the waters which is Christ's death and the water baptism. They were saved from the egyptians this day.

When they lacked faith to enter the promised land the cloud remained with them. It lead them through the wilderness those 40 years. As the Holy Spirit is patient with us, transforming us. As one generation died and another was born. The work that was started was eventually finished. We can be confident that the work God began in us will be completed as well.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 28:
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
14 Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.
15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.
18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.
19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report.
20 For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it.

Matthew 24:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.