Need some help on this verse...binding things on earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you all...I probably should have asked ...in defining what it means
could you use synonyms to bind and loosed...Let me see if I have this right, because if I do
it is an easy verse...
So if I let go of an offense to me...in Heaven it will be let go of...like, it will be forgotten and gone?
Thus, I would be free of it...
If I hang onto an offense to me ...in Heaven I will be hanging onto to it, still,
thus, be burdened by
this thing I have not let go of? (in Heaven?)

Can someone correct that for me?
No, that is not what He meant. It is not about us [really]. It is about Christ reigning "in us" to bring all things in heaven and earth under submission, to "make the earth His footstool" as it were.

So, then, using your example: If you let go of an offense to you...and it is not you who has done it, but Christ who lives in you...then Christ (in you) has judged for the offender and they are set free of the offense. And if you hang onto an offense to you, then Christ has judged against the offender, and they are condemned.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that is not what He meant. It is not about us [really]. It is about Christ reigning "in us" to bring all things in heaven and earth under submission, to "make the earth His footstool" as it were.

So, then, using your example: If you let go of an offense to you...and it is not you who has done it, but Christ who lives in you...then Christ (in you) has judged for the offender and they are set free of the offense. And if you hang onto an offense to you, then Christ has judged against the offender, and they are condemned.
Whoa!!! This' deep! Thank you...and I was an Eng minor...
and I didn't get it!
I hope others comment.

(bb----'zing'....right! Yeah? hahahaha, I'm starting to like you!)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoa!!! This' deep! Thank you...and I was an Eng minor...
and I didn't get it!
I hope others comment.

(bb----'zing'....right! Yeah? hahahaha, I'm starting to like you!)
PS,

Collaboration:

1 Corinthians 6:2
Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?

These are the times of our reign with Christ upon the earth.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you hang onto an offense to you, then Christ has judged against the offender,
and they are condemned.

'hmm'

I hope this sentence gets addressed, also.

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wow, i don't get this at all, yet it is obviously pertinent lol. hafta sleep on this one, ty.

Maybe this will help: We loose the oppressed and bind them to the Vine.

John 15:5-8 KJV
[5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. [6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. [7] If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. [8] Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"No, that is not what He meant. It is not about us [really]. It is about Christ reigning "in us" to bring all things in heaven and earth under submission, to "make the earth His footstool" as it were."

Thank you! Such an encouraging and beautiful way of seeing, ScottA.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you hang onto an offense to you, then Christ has judged against the offender,
and they are condemned.

'hmm'

I hope this sentence gets addressed, also.
The catch is...if it is the old you running the show...then no one gets condemned, and you go away with a headache, get taken off the "Used by the Lord" list, and get a talking to later.

If it is Christ in you speaking/acting...it's eternal.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The catch is...if it is the old you running the show...then no one gets condemned, and you go away with a headache, get taken off the "Used by the Lord" list, and get a talking to later.

The "old you" doesn't run the show, the Holy Spirit does, you are a new creation and by faith, you stand. The "talking to" is tender while we are shown the error of our ways and with that, we too can comfort each other because we don't want to see anyone in emotional pain because of what they did wrong toward us.

2 Corinthians 1:4, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

Reactions: ScottA

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context, as 'Dcopymope' said, is dealing with sin within the church. The church is still, at this point, future. It follows that if the offender has been treated his opportunity through all other methods, (Matt. 18:15-17), then it is taken before the church. Christ now delegates authority, gives His authority, to the church during His absence. (Matt. 18:18-19) Thus the binding and losing.

This 'binding and losing' is predicated on 'agreement'. (Matt. 18:19) The believers who will be the church must be in agreement with the binding or losing. Irregardless of how many are in the church, concerning this matter, they must be in agreement. For any decision of God will manifest itself through unanimity by His Spirit in His people.

And this authority, as great as it is, was not given to just the disciples or apostles. It was not given to just a certain 'class' of priests. But it was given wherever "...two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Needless to say, the church has neglected this authority. Why? Because it doesn't show them as loving and forgiving. We just must love this erring brother. Our love will bring him back and correct him. Instead of following the word of the Lord in treating this one as an heathen, (17) the church does just the opposite because they don't have the wherewithal as men to do the work Christ gave them to do.

And everyone bemoans the condition of the church. Yet refuse to do what they should do.

Stranger

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, he did say "if" there...
huh?

what's eternal?
Not all who are born again of the spirit of God have faith to act within their new creation, and therefore, linger and continue in their own form of purgatory to bury the dead they should have shed, and live, as they say, as if "It's a process." These are the unprofitable servants, the seed which landed on rocky soil.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Not all who are born again of the spirit of God have faith to act within their new creation, and therefore, linger and continue in their own form of purgatory to bury the dead they should have shed, and live, as they say, as if "It's a process." These are the unprofitable servants, the seed which landed on rocky soil.
man, you don't think overcoming is a process? And isn't "born again" an act of faith?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
man, you don't think overcoming is a process? And isn't "born again" an act of faith?
It depends on the context. If you draw things out, then it can take a lifetime. But if we believe the scriptures, then it is instant: we "have" been made new...old things "have" passed away.

Being born again, is not philosophical or physiological, or even a matter of faith in ones inner being. It is the birth of a new creation, a new being, and a new home for your mind.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
old things "have" passed away.
i tend to be sceptical of this one, but then i went the "seven spirits worse" route, so i tend to assume everyone does i guess
Being born again, is not philosophical or physiological, or even a matter of faith in ones inner being. It is the birth of a new creation, a new being, and a new home for your mind.
everyone seems to be touching a diff part of the elephant though, huh

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New little confusion, need help with....from the Prayer forum....Healing in Jesus' Name.
"We bind every abnormality and sickness that is trying
to make a home in the body of those listening."

I would think that abnormality and sickness should be loosed! Oy....will I ever really
get this verse?!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i tend to be sceptical of this one, but then i went the "seven spirits worse" route, so i tend to assume everyone does i guess
Many resort to the "It's a process" lie against everything that we have been told. Good thing for the prodigal son and the eleventh hour grace allowance.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Many resort to the "It's a process" lie against everything that we have been told.
hmm. if one is "saved," why mess with overcoming? i doubt your characterization here tbh, in light of the Exodus message. Briefly, if the First Passover = "salvation in Christ," over a million Jews did that part; yet only two made it to the Promised Land.
Good thing for the prodigal son and the eleventh hour grace allowance.
not one but two diff subjects imo, even if i agree they might be worked into the argument. We do not know how God might work on us right before we die, yes. But this does not really apply to the point, as neither does the PSon, imo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm. if one is "saved," why mess with overcoming? i doubt your characterization here tbh, in light of the Exodus message. Briefly, if the First Passover = "salvation in Christ," over a million Jews did that part; yet only two made it to the Promised Land.

not one but two diff subjects imo, even if i agree they might be worked into the argument. We do not know how God might work on us right before we die, yes. But this does not really apply to the point, as neither does the PSon, imo
The Jew's deal is different. They are chosen (or not), die in their sins, and are raised up in the resurrection.

Those who are grafted in, are grafted in by belief in Christ, rather than just being chosen.

Overcoming, on the other hand, is a matter of staying the course, whether as with the Jew's and their faith in the coming of Messiah, or with those outside the camp who are grafted in by belief, whether before the cross that He will come or after the cross that He has come. So, if either wake up one day and say, Nah, what was I thinking, I don't really believe", then they have not overcome and are not saved.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The Jew's deal is different
not buying, sorry
They are chosen (or not), die in their sins, and are raised up in the resurrection.

Those who are grafted in, are grafted in by belief in Christ, rather than just being chosen.
there are no Jew/Gentile in the kingdom, Scott
Overcoming, on the other hand, is a matter of staying the course
not buying this either, sorry. Change your mind is not staying the course
whether as with the Jew's and their faith in the coming of Messiah
um, i guess you meant their lack of faith in that; their false belief
or with those outside the camp who are grafted in by belief
ha now alla sudden where i would put faith you are saying belief lol
whether before the cross that He will come or after the cross that He has come.
hmm. if you are saying here that grace was as available to Job as to Paul, i agree.
There was no change, except the one required to "draw all men unto Him."
So, if either wake up one day and say, Nah, what was I thinking, I don't really believe"
or "have faith" anyway...arg already
, then they have not overcome and are not saved.
ergo, if they decide that they do "believe" the next day, they're back in, huh.

Beliefs truly are a pimple on the forehead of understanding imo

Last edited: