Neither Catholic or Protestant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that makes me a heretic.... OH boy... LOL

Martin Luther was correct.

The RCC frowned on reading the Bible - even killed those caught with a Bible in any non Latin translation, limiting bible reading mostly to the priests, who could read Latin - unfortunately for them a Catholic priest named ML decided to read the letter Paul wrote to the Roman church, and discovered just how far the RCC had strayed from biblical truth - the rest is history.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The RCC frowned on reading the Bible - even killed those caught with a Bible in any non Latin translation, limiting bible reading mostly to the priests, who could read Latin - unfortunately for them a Catholic priest named ML decided to read the letter Paul wrote to the Roman church, and discovered just how far the RCC had strayed from biblical truth - the rest is history.
The reason I made the comment about being a heretic is because according to your definition which I found interesting ( never thought of it in that light )... you would be correct in that a protestant is someone who has left the Catholic faith... thus protest(ant). That made logistical sense to me.

I am a former Catholic... and so according to the church.... because I ONCE KNEW the TRUTH... and have abandoned the faith... I am going to hell.
Two days after my mother died in 2007... I made an appointment to see the priest that resided over her funeral and told him I wanted his blessing to NEVER have to step into a Catholic church AGAIN... He was gracious enough to tell me that if the Church had hurt me that deeply that I felt the need to leave... that YES I could in good conscience do so without the risk of hell. I know his words were empty and without AUTHORITY... but it is after this that my FREEDOM came.... the next step for me was battling the lies of the legalists... who would dare tamper with the security of my Salvation... I have just RECENTLY found complete freedom in WHO I AM in CHRIST... and it is GLORIOUS.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would suggest that there have been those who protested the errors of the Papacy since it's inception. And the papal church persecuted them because of it. And not all of them were ex Catholics. Catholicism, despite rumors emanating from Rome to the contrary, was not the only shop in town, in fact, there is much evidence that there were numerous Christian churches having nothing to do with the Pope and his emissaries, that existed throughout Europe and Asia and North Africa, and at one time or another, most of them eventually came face to face with Rome's self appointed authority... And protested against it by denying it.
Some of these, according to the definitions in this thread, were defined as heretics because they were once in the church such as Wickliffe and Tindale , yet curiously some, who had never been connected to Rome at all, were persecuted, denounced, and became victims as well, such as the Waldenses.
So while Luther was absolutely a prime landmark in the Protestant cause, the objections against the errors and perversions of Rome were around a lot earlier than Luther. One could even go back as far as the debates and verbal sparring between Jerome and Lucian in the fifth century.

Oh PS. earlier than that of course was the debate between Arius and Alexander. That resulted in much protesting I would imagine, particularly from the thousands who would have suffered at the hands of the Pope's prime benefactor, the pagan emperor who presided over that whole sorry saga.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Backlit ... I think the term is fitting for both ex Catholics and all others who are NOT Catholic...

It all stems from protesting AGAINST the Roman Catholic Church. So... your suggestion is DIGESTED and sits well with me.

Reactions: Brakelite

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is a splintering, but I don't feel I am wrong about calling it a controversy. Would you tell me it isn't controversial? If so, why is this thread going on?
Yes... In a broad sense, as the definition implies. But relax... I wasn't being all that serious about that answer to begin with.
Okay, but here's the thing - if it IS still a "controversy" - then people are STILL protesting the Catholic Church and it's teachings.
Ergo, they are Protestants.

Are ALL non Catholic Christians protesting the Catholic Church directly? Judging from this forum and using it as a microcosm for Christianity - I would have to say "YES". That's why threads like this thrive on this and other forums.

I'm not saying this to argue - but simply as a fact.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay, but here's the thing - if it IS still a "controversy" - then people are STILL protesting the Catholic Church and it's teachings.

Are ALL non Catholic Christians protesting the Catholic Church directly? Judging from this forum and using it as a microcosm for Christianity - I would have to say "YES". That's why threads like this thrive on this and other forums.

Kenneth Copeland and his cronies aren't protesting. So what are they?

Reactions: amigo de christo

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I SO SOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOO want to answer that question... but I might just get BANNED...so I will exercise my
attempt at self-control... and regret that I saw this ALERT....

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I SO SOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOO want to answer that question... but I might just get BANNED...so I will exercise my
attempt at self-control... and regret that I saw this ALERT....
Hahaha. You know those gifs where some unrecognisable creature is rolling around on the floor laughing and crying and thumping his fists on the floor at the same time with tears streaming from his eyes? No, I don't mean Copeland's head deacon during a Sunday night crusade.
That's me right now.

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hahaha. You know those gifs where some unrecognisable creature is rolling around on the floor laughing and crying and thumping his fists on the floor at the same time with tears streaming from his eyes? No, I don't mean Copeland's head deacon during a Sunday night crusade.
That's me right now.
I don't know why I follow the threads that ANGER me to no end... It's like a moth to light I guess.... but in this case... NOPE... just not worth it... believe me... I could write a novel about what I think about this very topic... Word of Faith/Prosperity/Roman Catholic Church.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is actually a misconception that the word Protestant stems from the idea of protesting against something, even though that in effect is what was taking place, however, the Protestants themselves considered they were pro the truth. For truth. Their whole agenda and focus was not to uncover errors for the sake of curling the church, because remember, they were reformers. They had teachings they believed was truth, and were promoting that truth, with the idea that the church embrace those same truths. Thus be reformed. Protesting has a negative connotation that doesn't altogether belong to the word, Protestant.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said non-Catholic CHRISTIANS.
Kenneth Copeland is a Oneness Pentecostal who rejects the very nature of God as revealed in the Trinity.

Christians are Trinitarian by definition.
there are many quasi-Christian sects outside of this.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
On June 24th, 2014.... Kenneth Copeland and his wife... John Arnott and his wife ( Toronto Blessing )... James Robison and his wife...
met with Pope Francis for over 3 hours to discuss Christian Unity.

I have aptly named this meeting the JUDAS KISS....as it is the BEGINNING of this FALSE Christian unity... and One World Religion.

So....for a guy that rejects the very nature of God.... it's odd that he was invited to meet with the pope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jostler

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On June 24th, 2014.... Kenneth Copeland and his wife... John Arnott and his wife ( Toronto Blessing )... James Robison and his wife...
met with Pope Francis for over 3 hours to discuss Christian Unity.

I have aptly named this meeting the JUDAS KISS....as it is the BEGINNING of this FALSE Christian unity... and One World Religion.

So....for a guy that rejects the very nature of God.... it's odd that he was invited to meet with the pope.
And he has also met with Muslim and Jewish leaders to discuss unity.
This isn't unity of doctrine - but unity as people who seek God.

As I explained in another thread . . .

ALL religions have stark contrasts - yet ALL have similar purposes (love, peace,, tranquility, etc.). Those are the things we share - and there is where we should find understanding with each other. Otherwise - HOW do you follow Christ's command to love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:31)?

THAT'S
what Pope Francis was doing.
It's not about "One World Religion" . . .

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@BreadOfLife ... I joined these forums a year ago... that is when I first met you. I have worked very hard to stay away from direct communication with you because I find your arrogance and utter disdain for many you communicate with... to be offensive and unappealing... however I am not the judge of you... God is.

With the above said... I hope you understand that this is why I did not tag you when I made my last comment on this thread.

You are responsible for what you believe and how you speak... I am responsible for what I believe and how I speak.

I am also wise enough to know when conversation is fruitless. Therefore... I am respectfully choosing not to respond to your
comment.

I am fully aware that my thoughts and opinions of the Roman Catholic Church are not positive. I have learned to keep my thoughts to myself
for the most part. This topic caught my eye because of a comment that Curtis made about the definition of protestant.

And here we are.... These words have come from my heart BOL... and are not meant as an attack... but rather an honest reflection.

God Bless you. Addy

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think I understand what you are saying. I absolutely agree that people are still protesting the Catholic Church. Absolutely this thread is evidence. Did I suggest otherwise?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife ... I joined these forums a year ago... that is when I first met you. I have worked very hard to stay away from direct communication with you because I find your arrogance and utter disdain for many you communicate with... to be offensive and unappealing... however I am not the judge of you... God is.

With the above said... I hope you understand that this is why I did not tag you when I made my last comment on this thread.

You are responsible for what you believe and how you speak... I am responsible for what I believe and how I speak.

I am also wise enough to know when conversation is fruitless. Therefore... I am respectfully choosing not to respond to your
comment.

I am fully aware that my thoughts and opinions of the Roman Catholic Church are not positive. I have learned to keep my thoughts to myself
for the most part. This topic caught my eye because of a comment that Curtis made about the definition of protestant.

And here we are.... These words have come from my heart BOL... and are not meant as an attack... but rather an honest reflection.

God Bless you. Addy
That strikes me as a massive cop-out - but you're entitled to bow out of the conversation if you wish.
Just know that I will expose you if I read any other falsehoods aimed at the Catholic Church.

Truthful exchange is ONE things - but I don't have any tolerance for lies . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I understand what you are saying. I absolutely agree that people are still protesting the Catholic Church. Absolutely this thread is evidence. Did I suggest otherwise?
Not really - I guess it was your initial denial of the term, "Protestant".
However, I guess clarity is more important than agreement - and it is clear that there is still a LOT of protesting going on, as you indicated.

Reactions: FHII

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I said non-Catholic CHRISTIANS.
Kenneth Copeland is a Oneness Pentecostal who rejects the very nature of God as revealed in the Trinity.

Christians are Trinitarian by definition.
there are many quasi-Christian sects outside of this.
The Trinity as defined by the church no doubt. So anyone not in agreement with the church, therefore is not a Christian? So those who believe in the Godhead as revealed in scripture, and only scripture, without the defining machinations and formulas devised by the schools and institutions of the church, they miss out? So the church is therefore the sole arbiter of truth and heresy and decides who is saved and who is not.

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That strikes me as a massive cop-out - but you're entitled to bow out of the conversation if you wish.
Just know that I will expose you if I read any other falsehoods aimed at the Catholic Church.

You do NOT intimidate me in the least Sir.... I am aware of your methods... your beliefs... and your agenda.

Your threat is duly noted...It is part of your nature and countenance...to act in a constant aggressive and attacking manner...

I assure you that I have not copped-out... but rather purposely chosen to wisely exercise self-control...

AS I first stated... my reason for choosing NOT to engage with you is personal... and is found in the first paragraph of Post#55 which I will paste for your reference below.

In my opinion... you are NOT WORTHY of my attention or engagement. This will be the LAST time I speak to you.

Last edited: