New, Reluctant Agnostic, hope it's okay to post here

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LookingForGod

Apr 11, 2022
USA-Southeast
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Edit: There are two similar threads because I posted in the wrong place and it got moved here. :) The smilie is to say that I understand why.

Hi... I'm an odd bird, neither an atheist nor a believer, and I'd rather be a believer.

I don't know if I'm supposed to post here, not being a Christian. I will understand if this post is removed. But I'd like to talk to some Christians who can accept a person like me. I've had lots of sermons, though. :) I just want some person-to-person honest, low-key talk.

There are details down in the non-religious forum, which by the way I think is a very nice and understanding thing for a board like this to have, so I have hopes of some useful conversation.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi... I'm an odd bird, neither an atheist nor a believer, and I'd rather be a believer.

I don't know if I'm supposed to post here, not being a Christian. I will understand if this post is removed. But I'd like to talk to some Christians who can accept a person like me. I've had lots of sermons, though. :) I just want some person-to-person honest, low-key talk.

There are details down in the non-religious forum, which by the way I think is a very nice and understanding thing for a board like this to have, so I have hopes of some useful conversation.
Hi @LookingForGod If you read chapter 11 of the Epistle to the Hebrews, you will see a key to what you are asking about, I think...

Reactions: LookingForGod

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You will receive some good advice here, but likely some may say things to you that are not so good. Try not to be offended. Not everyone bearing the label Christian is mature and some may be in error in their beliefs and their ways.

May God richly bless you with understanding as you walk through here in your search!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just want some person-to-person honest, low-key talk.
Before I was born again I knew that God was real because sin was real. And I knew that God and the gospel was real through being convicted of the guilt of my sin and my separation from him. An undeniable conviction of your guilt is the fundamental way that God shows the reality of himself to a person.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just want some person-to-person honest, low-key talk.
I agree with Amadeus. With some this is possible... There are some good folk here. But all here are people. I pray you may have the wisdom to discern between the good and the not so good. Welcome.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If anybody here messes with you, they're messin' with me, see? I'm the deputy sheriff. And I've got a loaded goat.

All seriousness aside, we've got some jerks here (I can be caught laying it on kinda thick, myself, at times). But that's only because the moderators/admins are pretty laid back (patience of the saints, they have), which is why you should find you'll be quite comfortable here. If you need any help with anything, I think I can safely speak for the others by saying you can contact us privately by clicking on our avatars and then on "Start a Conversation" or if you want really good information and help you can contact an admin here or verify the site rules here.

And, of course:

emot-sotw.gif
WELCOME,
emot-sotw.gif
WELCOME,
emot-sotw.gif
WELCOME!!!
emot-sotw.gif

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

@LookingForGod you are more than welcome here Lol!
Don't jump to the non-Christian forum, get your feet whet first
Shalom
Johann

Reactions: LookingForGod

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was agnostic a long time ago, LFG. One day, the Lord changed everything in the blink of an eye, and nothing was the same again. You're in good company here.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Welcome! Your attempt to seek God is in order, yet I do recommend finding a good church. A good Spirit-filled Pastor who teaches from the Bible has spiritual gifts. The Holy Spirit speaks through them and to the congregation and He will speak directly to your heart as if the sermon was written for you. My Pastor used to say, come seven times and we will grow on you. You'll meet people, loving brothers and sisters who will come alongside you and lay their hands on you and pray for you. You need this. We can't lay our hands on you online and really get to know you.
Until then, as you said in your profile, you pray to God for Him to reveal Himself to you. Faith comes by the Word of God.
God came in the form of a bondservant, a man and revealed Himself to us. Jesus is God. So if you want to realize something that just seems intangible, unknowable, realize that Jesus is God. Read the Gospel of John, this is a good place to start for unbelievers. Pray first for God to reveal Himself to you. It's okay, you have doubts and hundreds of questions, we all did. He will answer them. But much of the knowledge you are looking for is in the scriptures already.
God is drawing you to Himself. He has prepared your heart, orchestrated your life, kept you alive, brought you through experiences that you needed to go through to learn. He has prepared certain individuals for you to meet. Soon He will lift the veil of blindness. But don't remain isolated and just in a room by yourself and your computer. You need to go to a church. Try a few. I started by looking in the yellow pages - back then that's how we found things. I tried a half dozen ones until I found one.
This process of lifting the veil can happen fast or take a few months.
I met someone who intrigued me and she invited me to Church. I was ready and open. It was great. The Pastor related things in the Bible that were relevant today and I couldn't get enough. It made sense. Then I got myself a Bible and started reading and just believed what I read. Enough for now. Get ready!

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of us remember where we were, and who we were, before we were called by the Son of God. I'm one of these, @LookingForGod , so you have my word about sermonizing. It never had any effect on me in those days when I was an agnostic like you are now.

It's better that we discuss agnosticism --- what it is, and what it isn't --- and I will offer an honest report seasoned by who am I now: a servant of Jesus Christ, who is the Lord Almighty.

We weren't sure nor confident in our conception of God, LFG. Is God real? We strongly suspected He was, but who's to say that it's possible to know God, let alone understand Him? If He is God, then He is so far beyond what our minds can reasonably handle that steadfast belief in Him seems like a futile affair. But then God might not be real, for we have never heard from Him. If God is real He would make Himself known to us... right?

We never denied that God exists --- this is what distinguished us from the atheist who goes to such a length --- because we weren't entirely sure one way or the other. If we were paying attention to those around us in the social circles we frequented, we would have caught more than one atheist admitting that they were somewhat like us in our agnosticism, only they suspected that God wasn't real.

It's important to remember that "agnostic" is not a label some people adhere to. Based upon what I have read from you so far, you're much like I was before God the Father drew me to His only begotten Son a very long time ago. You strongly suspect that not only is God real, but that it is possible to both know and be known by God. Drawing upon my experience with the Lord, LFG, the following is in the process of happening to you:

God the Father is drawing you to His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

This doesn't always happen overnight. That it happened to me in an instant was only my perspective! Yep, the Lord is calling to you. I recognize it. :)

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Welcome! Your attempt to seek God is in order, yet I do recommend finding a good church. A good Spirit-filled Pastor who teaches from the Bible has spiritual gifts. The Holy Spirit speaks through them and to the congregation and He will speak directly to your heart as if the sermon was written for you. My Pastor used to say, come seven times and we will grow on you. You'll meet people, loving brothers and sisters who will come alongside you and lay their hands on you and pray for you. You need this. We can't lay our hands on you online and really get to know you.
Until then, as you said in your profile, you pray to God for Him to reveal Himself to you. Faith comes by the Word of God.
God came in the form of a bondservant, a man and revealed Himself to us. Jesus is God. So if you want to realize something that just seems intangible, unknowable, realize that Jesus is God. Read the Gospel of John, this is a good place to start for unbelievers. Pray first for God to reveal Himself to you. It's okay, you have doubts and hundreds of questions, we all did. He will answer them. But much of the knowledge you are looking for is in the scriptures already.
God is drawing you to Himself. He has prepared your heart, orchestrated your life, kept you alive, brought you through experiences that you needed to go through to learn. He has prepared certain individuals for you to meet. Soon He will lift the veil of blindness. But don't remain isolated and just in a room by yourself and your computer. You need to go to a church. Try a few. I started by looking in the yellow pages - back then that's how we found things. I tried a half dozen ones until I found one.
This process of lifting the veil can happen fast or take a few months.
I met someone who intrigued me and she invited me to Church. I was ready and open. It was great. The Pastor related things in the Bible that were relevant today and I couldn't get enough. It made sense. Then I got myself a Bible and started reading and just believed what I read. Enough for now. Get ready!
Where is he going to find an ekklesia with a "good" Spirit filled pastor?
Just asking, not being argumentative here.
Blessings
J.

“That religion which costs a man nothing is
usually worth nothing.”
― Charles H. Spurgeon

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is he going to find an ekklesia with a "good" Spirit filled pastor?
Just asking, not being argumentative here.
Blessings
J.

“That religion which costs a man nothing is
usually worth nothing.”
― Charles H. Spurgeon
I found several 31 years ago and I presume all Christians on this forum have in the beginning found one that was sufficient. God will lead her where she should go.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

It must be difficult to be in a place where you know that there is a God but you need to be fully convinced in your heart before taking that next step. I am assuming that you have not got a bible nor have you ever been to an actual church service but I am encouraged that you have listened to lot's of sermons. This itself must have bought you more questions than answers. Please feel free to ask what ever you like and I'm sure there are members here [including myself] who are more than willing to help and support you in your endeavours to come to know that God is real and he exists. Blessings and Peace! xox

LookingForGod

Apr 11, 2022
USA-Southeast
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Thank you so very much! I don't know about finding the right church, but I'm pretty sure I've found the right forum. You guys give Christians a good name. I've encountered people, well, never mind that. I think at least one of you have encountered some similar people, very discouraging and judgemental.
I'll reread your thoughtful posts, maybe many times. You all deserve individual thanks.

LookingForGod

Apr 11, 2022
USA-Southeast
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I have a Bible, actually 3, so that by reading several versions I can get a better idea what was really said, cancelling out some possible mistranslations or other errors. Anything that looks unclear, or anything that's especially important, I read in all 3 versions. Mostly, there's not much difference.
I was raised in a family that went to church, but it was only as a social convention. Since then some things have happened that actually turned my skeptical mind into a Christian one, but over time my skeptical mind comes back with alternative explanations. I've also had a Christian tell me that those things were not from God. Aren't you supposed to "know them by their fruits"? Isn't anything that makes me love God either from God, or at least allowed by God?
The times that I've been a Christian were the most rewarding times of my life. The skeptical mind wants proof, but of course even I believe, or at least live, some things without proof. And there's more to me than the skeptical mind. There's the part that wants a fuller life.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have a Bible, actually 3, so that by reading several versions I can get a better idea what was really said, cancelling out some possible mistranslations or other errors. Anything that looks unclear, or anything that's especially important, I read in all 3 versions. Mostly, there's not much difference.
I was raised in a family that went to church, but it was only as a social convention. Since then some things have happened that actually turned my skeptical mind into a Christian one, but over time my skeptical mind comes back with alternative explanations. I've also had a Christian tell me that those things were not from God. Aren't you supposed to "know them by their fruits"? Isn't anything that makes me love God either from God, or at least allowed by God?
The times that I've been a Christian were the most rewarding times of my life. The skeptical mind wants proof, but of course even I believe, or at least live, some things without proof. And there's more to me than the skeptical mind. There's the part that wants a fuller life.

That is awesome that you have bibles and that you have been raised in a family who went to church even though it may have been just a social thing. I am thinking that some things have happened to have turned you back to being a skeptic again, as your posts reveal.

If it is helpful, perhaps you could share some of those things and we may be able too bring some light into it. Blessings and Peace!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edit: There are two similar threads because I posted in the wrong place and it got moved here. :) The smilie is to say that I understand why.

Welcome!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you so very much! I don't know about finding the right church, but I'm pretty sure I've found the right forum. You guys give Christians a good name. I've encountered people, well, never mind that. I think at least one of you have encountered some similar people, very discouraging and judgemental.
I'll reread your thoughtful posts, maybe many times. You all deserve individual thanks.
Hi and welcome.....if you really are looking for God, then be assured that He is looking for you.....

The ones that God is not looking for are those with pre-conceived ideas.....the ones that want God to conform to what they want to believe He is, rather than have Him show them who he really is. This is why scripture must be the measuring line for all things. Always go straight to the scriptures and if you need help, just ask.

You will find conflicting ideas and doctrines here, but if you are hungry for the truth and disillusioned with the churches, you have come to the right place. All is openly exposed on these forums and we have our bullies and the judgmental ones who insist that theirs is the only truth even when you prove from the scriptures that their ideas are flawed. Jesus never bullied people, nor did he judge them as unworthy of his time and attention.
The "lost" sheep are the ones he was sent to rescue.

The scriptures themselves will teach you the truth....as Jesus said when you hear the truth, you will "know" it, and it will "set you free". Its a liberation that allows your heart to settle on that truth with no doubts.

James 1:5-8...
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.." (ESV)

Just ask your questions and ponder prayerfully over the answers that will come from all directions....clear your head of all pre-conceived ideas and start with a clean slate......start at the beginning and ask why God put us here on this carefully prepared earth....when you have a handle on that, everything else will fall into place......God will guide you.

All the best.