Non-denominational Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church I belong to was formed as people who were dissatisfied with the restrictions of the traditional churches and of many denominations joined together to try to live as the early church is describer in Acts. We had people from almost every denomination you can think of.
Alot of non-denominational churches are like this

I have also been to a few which are purely say lie baptist. in everything they do. they just did not want the restrictions, or did not want the bias. But you can't tell the two apart.

we do not do communion at church, we do it in our local home churches.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I’ve never been in any other churches except Eastern Orthodox and Catholic,
You have led a sheltered life.

Luk 13:18-19 Then He said, "What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? (19) It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and put in his garden; and it grew and became a large tree, and the birds of the air nested in its branches."

"Going to church" is no substitute for "Being the Church".

Regardless of where an assembly and service is on the formal to informal spectrum, and regardless of whether they have the best coffee, best activities, best programs, and friendliest people, if the teaching is off and doesn't adhere to the messages of the Gospel it is falling short of the grace of God.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Alot of non-denominational churches are like this

I have also been to a few which are purely say lie baptist. in everything they do. they just did not want the restrictions, or did not want the bias. But you can't tell the two apart.

we do not do communion at church, we do it in our local home churches.
We do have communion which we call breaking bread but anybody can be called upon to participate. And we also used to do it in our small midweek house groups. And if somebody was sick it has been known that some of the bread and wine was sent home to them. I think this way of doing church is much more like the early Christians would have done it.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We do have communion which we call breaking bread but anybody can be called upon to participate. And we also used to do it in our small midweek house groups. And if somebody was sick it has been known that some of the bread and wine was sent home to them. I think this way of doing church is much more like the early Christians would have done it.
There is no perfect church.

I learned that awhile ago.

Reactions: Lambano

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
a non denomination church is just a church that gets rid of denominational type things.
What “denominational type things” do they get rid of?

The do not wish to be associated with any denomination because of denominational bias. they just wish to meet as a body and spread the word and fellowship.
So is that worship that has no restraint? Are people allowed to bring in whatever beliefs they wish?
Was that what the first Christians did? If you check the scriptures I’m sure you will find that Christians tolerated no inclusions from outside of what Christ and the apostles taught. Any who tried to introduce their own ideas were shown the door. (2 John 10-11)

As for bands. I played in a band, It was not exclusive. We had the words on the screen for all to see. those who wanted to sin could sing, those who did not did not have to.
IMO, Pop music has no place in worship. Music that praises God should be reverent, respectful and joyful. It isn’t meant to make people want to get up and gyrate....that sort of music has its place, but not in worship.

There is a line crossed by many I believe. It’s not what humans think of it...but how God views it that matters.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you check the scriptures I’m sure you will find that Christians tolerated no inclusions from outside of what Christ and the apostles taught.
Absolutely right. No religious trappings or traditions or false doctrines. Just Jesus.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine invited me into a non-denominational church. I’ve never been in any other churches except Eastern Orthodox and Catholic, so this is a first for me.
I checked out their website and they have music, like a band type of music, they have some theater-type plays and they dress in regular clothes with jeans and stuff.
It looks like they have no communion, no incense, no icons and who knows what else.
Any tips I should be aware of as a first-timer?

Thanks.
Usually sriptural teachings on daily life with ordinary people, and probably shaking your neighbors hand and saying hey, and a cool pamphlet on the daily reading.

Morning worship and prayer.

Nothing extravagant, really, the small churches are usually just a small gathering house of believers. No real customs. Just worship, prayer, gospel.

Did you end up going? If so, how was it?

Reactions: Lambano and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Pop music has no place in worship. Music that praises God should be reverent, respectful and joyful. It isn’t meant to make people want to get up and gyrate....that sort of music has its place, but not in worship.
Pop music is secular and as you say probably has no place in worship. But music to make us dance - not gyrate which is something different - before the Lord is scriptural and King David danced.
It’s not what humans think of it...but how God views it that matters.
Exactly, and as he sees our hearts he can tell if our joyful dancing and singing and even clapping, is respectful or not. There is plenty about dancing and joyful singing in the bible.

Reactions: Lambano and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would see the Lord's Supper more as a cherished symbol, but not directly an operative means of grace...
Really?
Then what does this mean?

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." John 6:53

Is there grace without Life?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Pop music is secular and as you say probably has no place in worship. But music to make us dance - not gyrate which is something different - before the Lord is scriptural and King David danced.

Exactly, and as he sees our hearts he can tell if our joyful dancing and singing and even clapping, is respectful or not. There is plenty about dancing and joyful singing in the bible.
As Solomon said “there is a time for every purpose under heaven”.....(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
David worshiped with no restraint and his wife despised him for it.
David’s joy was from his heart but it was in response to a victory that God had granted him....but his unbridled actions embarrassed his wife because he was the King and he showed no decorum. As the wife of a King that reflected badly on her...or so she imagined.
He was not skipping about in the Temple.

No, of course not. They follow the teachings of Jesus and not those of the established churches.
What teachings of Jesus do they follow? Just the ones they agree on? What happens when someone wants to bring in something that God’s word condemns, like SS marriage for example? Will the church marry them?....and accept their union, contrary to scripture?

Absolutely right. No religious trappings or traditions or false doctrines. Just Jesus.
How does one discern what are religious trappings and traditions? Do you all agree about what to include and what to exclude?

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Really?
Then what does this mean?

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." John 6:53

Is there grace without Life?
I don't see John 6 as referring directly to the Lord's Supper. The context is more of faith in the Lord Jesus in the light of His work at the Cross. The Lord Jesus does not seem to be saying, Unless you have or keep having the physical emblems, salvation will be denied to you.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Solomon said “there is a time for every purpose under heaven”.....(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)
Exactly, there is a time for singing and dancing in joyful worship.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
David’s joy was from his heart but it was in response to a victory that God had granted him
When we sing and dance in church gatherings or in worship at home it IS from the heart because of the great victory Jesus won for us

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see John 6 as referring directly to the Lord's Supper. The context is more of faith in the Lord Jesus in the light of His work at the Cross. The Lord Jesus does not seem to be saying, Unless you have or keep having the physical emblems, salvation will be denied to you.
It seems to me that you along many others... too often follow established traditions rather than simply reading the words as they are written and/or seek openly from God whatever He is willing to provide. Is that not the example we see in most of the Pharisees and other natural children of Jacob when Jesus walked planet Earth 2000 years ago?

If we do not have Life, we effectively according to God have nothing. We are dead! This is where Adam and Eve were after they chose to eat of the forbidden fruit. Why did God send His Son Jesus to us?

Jesus brought Life, and in the words, I quoted in John 6 he spells it out what we are to do to obtain that Life. How does one eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus?

And see then the result of his words to those physically present when he so spoke:

"The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" John 6:52

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." John 6:66

Lots of people also walking away today, because they cannot see and are really not interested in loving even the truth which they cannot understand. God has all of the answers anyone really needs, but too many really do not love Him enough to listen to or ask of Him.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What teachings of Jesus do they follow? Just the ones they agree on? What happens when someone wants to bring in something that God’s word condemns, like SS marriage for example? Will the church marry them?....and accept their union, contrary to scripture?
If a group of people have received Jesus as Lord and Saviour then they will do their best to follow all his teachings and not pick and choose. So far I have never hear anybody disagree with the teachings of Jesus in our church. And our leaders wouldn't 'marry' a same sex couple