Non-denominational Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When we sing and dance in church gatherings or in worship at home it IS from the heart because of the great victory Jesus won for us
David did not sing and dance in the Temple though, did he? There is a time and place for all things.

If a group of people have received Jesus as Lord and Saviour then they will do their best to follow all his teachings and not pick and choose. So far I have never hear anybody disagree with the teachings of Jesus in our church. And our leaders wouldn't 'marry' a same sex couple
So no one will bring up things that they know will cause controversy or dissension? And if they do....then what?

On the SS marriage issue, some denominational Christians will welcome gay couples and even marry them with God's blessing....
That is why I asked.....

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What “denominational type things” do they get rid of?

So is that worship that has no restraint? Are people allowed to bring in whatever beliefs they wish?
Was that what the first Christians did? If you check the scriptures I’m sure you will find that Christians tolerated no inclusions from outside of what Christ and the apostles taught. Any who tried to introduce their own ideas were shown the door. (2 John 10-11)

IMO, Pop music has no place in worship. Music that praises God should be reverent, respectful and joyful. It isn’t meant to make people want to get up and gyrate....that sort of music has its place, but not in worship.

There is a line crossed by many I believe. It’s not what humans think of it...but how God views it that matters.
This post does not even make sense,

even in a non denominational church they have specific beliefs, people who do not agree don’t go there.

pop music has every place in worship how else are you going to draw the younger Gen in then by praising god with their instruments

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

even in a non denominational church they have specific beliefs, people who do not agree don’t go there.

pop music has every place in worship how else are you going to draw the younger Gen in then by praising god with their instruments

I would hope the Holy Spirit would draw them in. And I don't recall folk playing rock music to get kids from the 70s and 80s. We were singing regular hymns back then. Worship music has changed.
Some pop music may be OK. But we have to be careful.

What I would caution is to remember that Satan was the minister of music in the heavenly courts. He still controls it.We need to be very careful with what we listen to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would hope the Holy Spirit would draw them in. And I don't recall folk playing rock music to get kids from the 70s and 80s. We were singing regular hymns back then. Worship music has changed.
Some pop music may be OK. But we have to be careful.

What I would caution is to remember that Satan was the minister of music in the heavenly courts. He still controls it.We need to be very careful with what we listen to.
I am not sure how praising God for all he has done, is satanic, just because electric guitars are used. (my father used to say the electric guitar was a took of satan, Its amazing he was perfectly fine with an electric organ, there was a time in the church when that was said to be satanic)

That is exactly the reason why non denom’s are growing. Paul said he was all things to all people. I did not mind hymns, I loved singing, but then again, I like that kind of music, and love when many people sing. Although I do remember when our organ player left and all we had was piano. I did not like it as much.

I also like and love to play christian music that we hear on he radio. Its not satanic. It is all about praising God. In fact one song (right here from jeremy camp) God me home as I was 3 hours away from home at work when my mother passed away. I praise God for that.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure how praising God for all he has done, is satanic, just because electric guitars are used. (my father used to say the electric guitar was a took of satan, Its amazing he was perfectly fine with an electric organ, there was a time in the church when that was said to be satanic)

That is exactly the reason why non denom’s are growing. Paul said he was all things to all people. I did not mind hymns, I loved singing, but then again, I like that kind of music, and love when many people sing. Although I do remember when our organ player left and all we had was piano. I did not like it as much.

I also like and love to play christian music that we hear on he radio. Its not satanic. It is all about praising God. In fact one song (right here from jeremy camp) God me home as I was 3 hours away from home at work when my mother passed away. I praise God for that.

"..in a non denominational church they have specific beliefs.."
- Good point.
---
I was involved in several churches..
- Denominational & Non Denominational.
During my spiritual journey..from 1970's.
---
Interesting to note:
When the 'non denominational' becomes established/get recognition (status)..
- It becomes another denomination/establishment.
- Even though they say..'we are not (denominations)!'

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- Good point.
---
---
Interesting to note:

To EG:
My mistake..
Post #45 was the response to #42.. not #44.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
David did not sing and dance in the Temple though, did he? There is a time and place for all things.
Perhaps not, but then we are the Church and we are the house of God - not buidings.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- Good point.
---
---
Interesting to note:
yes I have seen this also. I think of "the rock" church. They have basically become a denomination of their own.

My church is located in columbus Ohio. We have 4 meeting areas all around the city, and are comprised of a bunch of house churches. I would not call it a denomination because it is local.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Didn't say it was all satanic did I? I just said to be careful. There are false forms of worship, that mimic the true.
When the music becomes more of tunes we are dancing to, because the beat is good, it has lost its effectiveness in worship.

Last edited:

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The bolded is why Orthodox Christianity drifts further away from the Bible every decade. Its adherents think they're going to win the world over by looking and sounding like it, and the reality is that they're actually looking more like the world. God's prophets and apostles didn't attach worldly gimmicks to what they taught in order to make the truth more attractive to unbelievers. The truth of God is powerful enough to reach unbelievers by itself, assuming they're actually hearing it.

Reactions: Cassandra

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The biggest 'dissension' in my church was about what colour to paint the brew room.
Had it been a U.S. church, the ones who wanted Dover White would've left and formed their own church because the brew room was painted Eggshell.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bolded is why Orthodox Christianity drifts further away from the Bible every decade. Its adherents think they're going to win the world over by looking and sounding like it, and the reality is that they're actually looking more like the world. God's prophets and apostles didn't attach worldly gimmicks to what they taught in order to make the truth more attractive to unbelievers. The truth of God is powerful enough to reach unbelievers by itself, assuming they're actually hearing it.
Actually it is the opposite.

Instead of being all things to all people. The orthodox christianity is stagnant. Trying to force people to do things their way.

I hate rap music, I do not even call it music, But it makes me cringe

There are some that feel that way about the slower classic music of the church. And they feel they are forced to sing a song they do not even like

So some people have used the same words and changed the music to make it more modern. And what do you get? Orthodoxy yelling and screaming they are turning into the world.

Thats the true defenition of legalism, and one of the biggest reasons people are fleeing the traditional church in groves and fall the need to start these non denomination churches.. Not all of them are good. There are some bad ones out there. And many are all about money. But there are some really good ones out there who are winning people to christ in mass.

Reactions: Lambano and Pearl

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry but cultural orientation is not a gimmick. Said differently, why make music, language or dress an obstacle to bringing people to Christ?
I remember growing up as a kid and a visitor coming to church in Jeans, he was harassed by the deacons, and finally told to leave by the pastor.

It saddens me to think that person may not come to Christ because of the legalism of the church.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember growing up as a kid and a visitor coming to church in Jeans, he was harassed by the deacons, and finally told to leave by the pastor.

It saddens me to think that person may not come to Christ because of the legalism of the church.
There's an old Curtis cartoon in which a church lady comes to the pastor complaining about the kids coming to church in jeans and insisting he implement a dress code. The pastor responds, "I'm sorry, I must've missed that day in Theology class".

"What day?"

"The day that they taught I must alienate all the youth and condemn my church to a slow death by stagnation."

Billingsly (the author) doesn't often portray the pastor character in the best light, but I thought this response was brilliant.
If I can find that cartoon, I'll post it.