Nor DRUNKARDS, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 6:

10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Why will drunkards not inherit the kingdom of God? Is there anything inherently wrong with alcohol or getting drunk? Is there a commandment that explicitly prohibits drunkenness? Is it possible to get drunk in a "righteous way"?

Paul is not talking about occasional drinkers or people who get drunk occasionally. He speaks of habitual drunkards. They are unproductive people like the one in Proverbs 23:

35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt! They beat me, but I don't feel it! When will I wake up so I can find another drink?"
Romans 14:

17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Without God, these drunkards are irresponsible, useless, and sinful people. They use their drunken occasions to sin in many other ways. Paul was targeting these kinds of drunkards. It wasn't just that they were being drunk.

See also

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 6:

Why will drunkards not inherit the kingdom of God? Is there anything inherently wrong with alcohol or getting drunk? Is there a commandment that explicitly prohibits drunkenness? Is it possible to get drunk in a "righteous way"?

Paul is not talking about occasional drinkers or people who get drunk occasionally. He speaks of habitual drunkards. They are unproductive people like the one in Proverbs 23:

Romans 14:

Without God, these drunkards are irresponsible, useless, and sinful people. They use their drunken occasions to sin in many other ways. Paul was targeting these kinds of drunkards. It wasn't just that they were being drunk.

See also

But then, we'd rather drunkards, revilers, and swindlers not be in heaven, I would think.