Not faith alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:28 - Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” :)
Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Reactions: mailmandan

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Jennifera198337,

It should not escape your notice as an avid Bible student that we are not justified through law-keeping (Romans 3:20, Galatians 2:16) .

However, it is also true, to cut to the chase, that if we walk after the Spirit and not after the flesh, the righteousness of the law shall be fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Our salvation (our receiving of the Holy Spirit) comes solely through our faith in Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14, Ephesians 1:13-14).

We then have the love of the Lord shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5); which love is not impractical (1 John 3:17-18); and which love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

My point being that we do not want to put the cart before the horse.

We do not obtain righteousness through keeping the law (Romans 9:30-10:4).

It is not by seeking to obey a set of do's and don'ts that we obtain this righteousness.

We obtain it by believing in Jesus, receiving the Spirit through that faith (Galatians 3:14); and then because we have the Spirit we bear the fruit of the Spirit; against which there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23).

Thus, we have a righteousness of God apart from the law (Romans 3:21) that is nevertheless attested to by the law and the prophets (Romans 3:21) that it is righteousness indeed.
Those Christ died for, His Elect, are dead to the Law at birth, by His death Rom 7:4
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

The body of Christ here simply means His Death !

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would usually be best if a person did not declare himself to be sinless, but simply keep his belief to himself. Similarly it may be best for any who doubt that a person is sinless to remain silent rather than pressing or accusing the person. If we are flawed, who are we to stand in judgment of another? I certainly am flawed so much of the time I find that silence really is golden! I wish at times I would learn to keep my own mouth shut.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." Prov 17:28
Those who believe they don't sin are only fooling themselves.

Luke 11:2-4 (NKJV)
2 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven. 3 Give us day by day our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one keeps the law (Galatians 6:13).
Then why do Christians preach the Law? We have the New Covenant in Jesus' Blood.
The law is given as a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24), showing mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20); thus converting his soul (Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).
The Law was ONLY given to Israel. Christians have the New Covenant.

Psalm 147:19-20 (NKJV)
19 He declares His word to Jacob, His statutes and His judgments to Israel. 20 He has not dealt thus with any nation; And as for His judgments, they have not known them.
What half verse did I quote?
You left off:
"not of works"

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul says I must love! It never says anywhere “faith alone” faith yes!
It's not about must or else. Love is not forced or legalistic for those who are born of God and know God. 1 John 4:7 - Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

The Bible clearly states in many passages of scripture that man is saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (Luke 7:50; 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:22-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8.9; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..). Now you don't need to add the word "alone" in these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation. Do these many passages of scripture say faith plus something else? Plus works? NO. So then it's faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone.

Faith and hope and love!
If we have faith, then we have hope. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for.. (Hebrews 11:1) If we have been saved through faith and have received the Holy Spirit, then we have the love of God in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5) Those who teach salvation by works try to turn attributes of those who are born of God into a legalistic prescription for salvation.

Faith and baptism! Mk 16:16
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the one requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

faith and patience (suffering)
All who are born of God will suffer for Christ's sake. Some just more than others.

1 Thessalonians 1:3 - Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;
Notice the words "work of" faith, "labor of" love and "patience of" hope in 1 Thessalonians 1:3. These are the practical outworking of the Thessalonians' conversion. The "work" the Thessalonians do is a result or consequence of their faith. So too their "labor" flows from love and their "endurance" comes from hope. Work "of" faith does not mean that faith in essence is the work accomplished or that we are saved by works that are produced out of faith. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Their work is a result or consequence "of" their faith. The work done is "of" faith or done "out of" faith. Faith was already established at conversion and then the work followed as a result or consequence "of" faith. I've heard works-salvationists try to turn work "of" faith into this work "is" faith and end up making no distinction between faith and works that follow as a result of faith.

2 Thessalonians 1:4
  • Hebrews 6:12
    That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
Works salvationists typically turn exhortations into legalistic prescriptions and confuse descriptive passages of scripture with prescriptive passages of scripture and the end result is perverted gospel of works salvation.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not about must or else. Love is not forced or legalistic for those who are born of God and know God. 1 John 4:7 - Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

The Bible clearly states in many passages of scripture that man is saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (Luke 7:50; 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:22-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8.9; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..). Now you don't need to add the word "alone" in these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation. Do these many passages of scripture say faith plus something else? Plus works? NO. So then it's faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone.

If we have faith, then we have hope. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for.. (Hebrews 11:1) If we have been saved through faith and have received the Holy Spirit, then we have the love of God in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5) Those who teach salvation by works try to turn attributes of those who are born of God into a legalistic prescription for salvation.

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the one requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

All who are born of God will suffer for Christ's sake. Some just more than others.

Notice the words "work of" faith, "labor of" love and "patience of" hope in 1 Thessalonians 1:3. These are the practical outworking of the Thessalonians' conversion. The "work" the Thessalonians do is a result or consequence of their faith. So too their "labor" flows from love and their "endurance" comes from hope. Work "of" faith does not mean that faith in essence is the work accomplished or that we are saved by works that are produced out of faith. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Their work is a result or consequence "of" their faith. The work done is "of" faith or done "out of" faith. Faith was already established at conversion and then the work followed as a result or consequence "of" faith. I've heard works-salvationists try to turn work "of" faith into this work "is" faith and end up making no distinction between faith and works that follow as a result of faith.

Works salvationists typically turn exhortations into legalistic prescriptions and confuse descriptive passages of scripture with prescriptive passages of scripture and the end result is salvation by works.

not by works but by grace with faith WORKING thru love

Mark 16:16 The requirements for those who are being saved cannot be undone by the requirements for those not being saved! He who believes and is baptized is still required for salvation? Heaven and earth may pass away but my words shall not pass away!

how can you be a disciple without baptism???? Matt 28:19 Jn 1,2,3,4

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why do Christians preach the Law? We have the New Covenant in Jesus' Blood.

I answered that in my very next statement.

The law is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24), in that it shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20, Matthew 1:21); thus converting his soul (Psalms 19:7 (kjv))

The Law was ONLY given to Israel. Christians have the New Covenant.

It is the church that is not under the law (Romans 6:14, Romans 3:9, 1 Corinthians 10:32);

And unbelieving Gentiles don't fit in that category.

You left off:
"not of works"

I'm sorry, what post was that in?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
jbf

No. However, lets consider what you said. According to Rom 5:19 how were they made righteous and Christ lived in them ? What was the cause ?
1) the blood of Jesus sanctifies

2) Christ comes into the heart and lives a righteous life in you and through you (if you are born again of His Spirit).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
The nkjv is somewhat watered-down there.

In the kjv, it says,

"For by grace are ye saved (?) through faith..."

Notice that I placed the ... there to indicate that there is more in the verse. I suppose I got lazy there and did not quote the whole verse...but I did not pretend that it was the whole verse that I was quoting. Notice also that the whole of the verse is quoted elsewhere in the same post.

And "not of works" is in verse 9, so I was not quoting half a verse to leave that out.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not what Jesus said Mk 16:16
*See post #387.

faith and baptism jn 3:5 water and the spirit
To automatically read "baptism" into John 3:5 simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted. Have you cosidered "living water" in John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39? In John 4:10, Jesus said, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." In John 4:14, Jesus said, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life. *Jesus connects this living water here with everlasting life. *Living water is not water baptism. In 1 Corinthians 12:13, we also read - ..drink into one Spirit. *Perfect harmony*

In John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit.. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.

There are still others who would point out that "water" is used in the Bible as an emblem of the Word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, divine life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit is the Agent who accomplishes the miracle of regeneration.

and it’s what the church has taught for 2000 yrs
CYRIL OF JERUSALEM
“If any man does not receive baptism, he does not have salvation.

St. AUGUSTINE
“There are three ways in which sins are forgiven: in baptism, in prayer, and in the greater humility of penance; yet God does not forgive sins except to the baptized” (Sermons to Catechumens on the Creed 7:15 [A.D. 395]).
I really don't care about what certain fallible men taught for almost 2,000 years. The church fathers were not infallible and did not always agree with each other in all matters of doctrine. I find it strange that in these early writings we find men teaching salvation by water baptism and also salvation through faith alone.

Clement of Rome: "We also, being called through God's will in Christ Jesus, are not justified through ourselves, neither through our own wisdom or understanding, or piety, or works which we have done in holiness or heart, but through faith" (Epistle to Corinthians).

Jerome: "When an ungodly man is converted, God justified him through faith alone, not on account of good works which he possessed not."

Basil: "This is the true and perfect glorying in God, when a man is not lifted up on account of his own righteousness, but has known himself to be wanting in true righteousness and to be justified by faith alone in Christ."

Chrysostom: "Again, they said that he who adhered to faith alone was cursed, but he shows that he who adhered to faith alone, is blessed."

Augustine: "Grace is give to you, not wages paid to you...it is called grace because it is given gratuitously. By no precedent merits did you buy what you have received. The sinner therefore received this grace first, that his sins should be forgiven him...good works follow after a justified person; they do not go before in order that he may be justified...good works, following after justification, show what a man has received."

Augustine: "Now, having duly considered and weighed all these circumstances and testimonies, we conclude that a man is not justified by the precepts of a holy life, but by faith in Jesus Christ,--in a word, not by the law of works, but by the law of faith; not by the letter, but by the spirit; not by the merits of deeds, but by free grace."

Bernard of Clairvaux: "Shall not all our righteousness turn out to be mere unrighteousness and deficiency? What, then, shall it be concerning our sins, when not even our righteousness can answer for itself? Wherefore...let us flee, with all humility to Mercy which alone can save our souls...whoever hungers and thirsts after righteousness, let him believe in thee, who "justified the ungodly"; and thus, being justified by faith alone, he shall have peace with God."

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered that in my very next statement.

The law is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24), in that it shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20, Matthew 1:21); thus converting his soul (Psalms 19:7 (kjv))
You can preach the Law if you want to but I think you're in trouble. Do yourself a BIG favor. Preach the NT, not the Law of Moses that you have never kept yourself.
Galatians 5:3-4 (NKJV)
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
It is the church that is not under the law (Romans 6:14, Romans 3:9, 1 Corinthians 10:32);

And unbelieving Gentiles don't fit in that category.
And neither do Gentiles "fit" the Law of Moses. It was ONLY for Israel. Gentiles are not under the Law. You're drastically confused!
Psalm 147:19-20 (NKJV)
19 He declares His word to Jacob, His statutes and His judgments to Israel. 20 He has not dealt thus with any nation; And as for His judgments, they have not known them.
I'm sorry, what post was that in?
The one where you left this out:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you become a disciple by faith alone?

Matt 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
In Matthew 28:19-20, we have a command here by Jesus to go and make disciples of all nations, and baptize them. However, it does not say here that baptism is absolutely necessary for salvation. The same command also includes the clause "teaching them to observe all things" that Christ has commanded them. Makes disciples first, then baptize them and teach them to observe everything He has commanded. Faith in Christ alone is what saves and is a heart decision which causes us to become disciples of Jesus.

Reactions: kcnalp

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The nkjv is somewhat watered-down there.

In the kjv, it says,

"For by grace are ye saved (?) through faith..."

Notice that I placed the ... there to indicate that there is more in the verse. I suppose I got lazy there and did not quote the whole verse...but I did not pretend that it was the whole verse that I was quoting. Notice also that the whole of the verse is quoted elsewhere in the same post.

And "not of works" is in verse 9, so I was not quoting half a verse to leave that out.
You didn't cite "not of works" because it says you're wrong.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can preach the Law if you want to but I think you're in trouble.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

I certainly do not believe that I am justified through law-keeping. Even if the righteousness of the law is perfectly fulfilled in me through walking not after the flesh but after the Spirit, I am justified wholly by the faith of Christ: because my trust is not in my performance to save me but in His shed blood on the Cross. And because of this my performance is nearly impeccable.

And neither do Gentiles "fit" the Law of Moses. It was ONLY for Israel. Gentiles are not under the Law. You're drastically confused!

Before we came to faith, we were kept under the law (Galatians 3:23). Are we not Gentiles?

And also, Jew and Gentile alike will be judged by the law and will be counted as guilty before God because of it (Romans 3:19-20).

Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4). And men will be counted worthy of the lake off fire because they are workers of iniquity (committers of sin)...see Matthew 13:41-42.

Therefore, it is their violation of the law that will make them guilty on their day of judgment. In violating the law, they have sinned; and in sinning, they have made themselves worthy of condemnation. Therefore they will be condemned over their violation of the law. And this means that they must, therefore, be under the law; in order for the law to be their judge in and on that day.

The one where you left this out:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

I answered this in post #391 (Not faith alone?).

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly do not believe that I am justified through law-keeping. Even if the righteousness of the law is perfectly fulfilled in me through walking not after the flesh but after the Spirit, I am justified wholly by the faith of Christ: because my trust is not in my performance to save me but in His shed blood on the Cross. And because of this my performance is nearly impeccable.
You're telling Gentiles to obey the Law of Moses?
Before we came to faith, we were kept under the law (Galatians 3:23). Are we not Gentiles?
I'm a Gentile. I've never been under the Law. The Law did not lead me to Jesus!
And also, Jew and Gentile alike will be judged by the law and will be counted as guilty before God because of it (Romans 3:19-20).
You may be judged by the Law because you are preaching parts of the Law. And you carefully avoid much of the Law. I don't preach the Law. I preach the New Covenant in Jesus' Blood.
Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4). And men will be counted worthy of the lake off fire because they are workers of iniquity (committers of sin)...see Matthew 13:41-42.
You're living in sin because you don't keep the Law of Moses? And don't say you keep the Law of Moses because you do not!
Therefore, it is their violation of the law that will make them guilty on their day of judgment. In violating the law, they have sinned; and in sinning, they have made themselves worthy of condemnation. Therefore they will be condemned over their violation of the law. And this means that they must, therefore, be under the law; in order for the law to be their judge ion that day.
You're preaching the Law of Moses! You're a debtor to keep the entire Law! And you do not.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As soon as you quote 1 John 3:6, or 1 John 3:9, or 1 John 5:18 to some folks, instead of standing convicted by the word, they dote about the question, “do you sin?” What is the big deal with sinlessness? The Bible is a condemnation against sinners with very detailed accounts of the consequences of sin.

Christ came to take sin away! Not to provide a vehicle for it!

Look, Jesus told at least two people point blank, sin no more (John 5:14, John 8:11).

And the scripture is clear what we should think of those who would teach contrary to what Jesus taught:

1 Timothy 6:3-5 KJV
[3] If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; [4] He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, [5] Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
There is certainly a difference between actually being sinless and in declaring oneself to be sinless. Often the problem with a person declaring his own sinlessness is that if he had actually been there, he then moves into the sin again with his prideful announcement of having moved away from it.

Sometimes God may want a person to make such a declaration, but usually, I believe, He does not. That He wants us all to be without sin and that He has provided the means for a person to attain it should not be a subject of argument between believers, but... like perhaps a few other things it most certainly is...

Help us dear Lord!

Last edited: