Numbers 23:19: Big Problem

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"No man may see me and yet live" (Exodus 33:20)
Numbers 23:19: Big Problem

Not everything in the Bible is literal though.....Jesus spoke by the use of illustrations which may have had a literal application of some sort, but were not concerning literal things.....like the "wheat and the weeds" for example. Was this parable about literal "wheat and weeds"? Was the parable about the rich man and Lazarus about a real rich man and a beggar?
Were the beasts in Daniel and Revelation real creatures? Was the devil a real dragon or a snake?

Surely you must know the difference between something symbolic and something literal....?
The father dwells in unapproachable light, but Jesus, who is God who EMPTIED Himself to become a man, Philippians 2:6-7, is God by His nature, but set aside a His glory, and thus didn’t dwell in unapproachable light - so He can, and was seen, without it being fatal.

It’s not a hard concept to understand.

Why do you think He emptied Himself first, to be born a man?

Because His glory would kill anyone who saw Him.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I actually didn't receive notification about this thread, though I was obviously tagged. I just stumbled across it.

The answers to your questions are simple, though you do have some erroneous assumptions that lead to faulty conclusions.

Let's see if you may receive the help you need.

1. Numbers 23:19 KJB is in the immediate context of Numbers 23:13-26 KJB known as the 2nd oracle of Balaam the prophet of madness (2 Peter 2:16 KJB).

Consider that Numbers 23:19 KJB comes immediately after Balaam begins his prophetic "parable" (Numbers 23:18 KJB), which, by the way, uses proper names (so much for that myth that parables cannot or do not use or have proper names, ie Luke 16).

2. The text does not say, "God is not a man (full stop)" with period. To say so takes the phrase out of context which is what a devil would do (Matthew 4:6; Luke 4:10-11 KJB).

The text actually says in full:

Num 23:19 KJB: "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

This is in response to Balak's request to curse Israel (after the flesh) by Balaam. However, God told Balaam to bless Israel, because:

Num 23:21: "He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them."

So God promised to bless them as long as they obeyed Him. The people were, up to this point obedient. God, then, as Balaam says, cannot lie, or go back on his word as mankind often does.

The text does not say that God could not (or would not) become a man later, for that was promised since Genesis 3:15,21 KJB. Even mother Eve (Genesis 3:20 KJB) expected Cain to be the Messiah promised (Genesis 4:1 KJB). The people knew about the promise of "Shiloh" (Genesis 49:10 KJB). Abraham and Isaac was even a type enacted in life:

Gen 22:8: "And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together."

God (JEHOVAH, the Ancient of Days) did indeed "provide himself a lamb", giving up His own eternal Son.

God (JEHOVAH jr., Jesus) did indeed "provide himself", offering himself, being the "Lamb".

The eternal Father would sacrifice His own eternal Son. Moses knew of this, and even wrote of it by inspiration of the Holy Ghost.

The whole argument that the text says that "God is not a man (full stop)" originated in Arian heresy, such as Islamic dawah-ists, WTS/JW, etc. It's simply a lie, fabricated and disingenuous with the text.

3. The phrase "only begotten" (John 1:14,18, 3:16,18; Hebrews 11:17; 1 John 4:9 KJB), is basically monogene (μονογενῆ; John 3:16; Hebrews 11:17; 1 John 4:9) or monogenes (μονογενὴς; John 1:18) or monogenous (μονογενοῦς; John 1:14, 3:18) and in context refers to the Son's eternal nature as Deity, being the only one of the same nature as His Father (Philippians 2:5-7 KJB, "form of God" (nature of Deity) in contrast to "form of a servant" (nature of mankind); and Hebrews 1:3, "the express image" (of the eternal Father)). Mono means only, or singular, even one. Genes, refers to nature, not birth or coming into existence. Mono - Gene, simply means in context "the only one that shares the same nature as the Father". Jesus is the original Heir of the Father by nature (being eternal Deity in nature as His Father is). The other "sons", like the created heavenly angelic hosts (like Gabriel and 'herald', etc) are not of the same eternal nature as the Father and Son. Those angelic hosts have their own created flesh nature's (1 Corinthians 15:35-45; Hebrews 2:16; Jude 1:7 KJB) which differs from God's eternal flesh nature and mankind's flesh nature. They are "sons" by creation. Mankind, in a similar, though slightly differing fashion, are also "sons" by creation (at the first, in Adam), but now adopted by redemption (Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:6 KJB). They are all "sons", but Jesus is the only "son" by original eternal nature of the Father. This is why the Father is called "the only 'true' God" (means underived and original nature) and the Son is the "only begotten" (derives the eternal nature from or) of the Father. In other words the word 'true' simply means that the Father's eternal nature is original with Himself, while the Son derives that nature by the Father. This is what makes them eternal Father and eternal Son.

This does not mean that the Father is, or ever was 'human'. The Son, in Philippians 2 took on an additional nature (mankind's flesh nature) to the original eternal nature He always had (Deity's nature).

4. The phrases found in Malachi 3:6; Psalms 102:12,24-27; Hebrews 1:8-12, 13:6-8, etc, is speaking about the eternal and unchanging character of Deity. The heart of Deity.

Mal 3:6: "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed."

In other words, the texts are not saying that Deity could not become clothed with the nature of mankind, as the Son mysteriously did. They are stating, in context (the name of God - JEHOVAH, see Exodus 33:12-23, 34:1-9, 20:5-7 KJB, as his name is, so is he), that God's heart, the eternal character of love does not ever change and that is the reason that the "sons of Jacob (supplanters, decievers, fallen by iniquity)" are therefore "not consumed" because of the unchanging and eternal character of mercy, compassion, forgiveness, justice, etc.

While the Son (eternally in the "form of God"), when taking upon Himself the "form of a servant" (nature of mankind in flesh) chose not to utilize the powers of Deity, did not lay aside, did not change, His eternal character of self-sacrificing love.

The same arguments that were presented in the OP, are a misuse of the texts, and again stem from Arian heresies, such as Islamic Dawahists, WTS/JW, etc. I understand that the OP is simply asking about these failed and silly arguments and do not place any blame upon them for these ridiculous arguments. They simply do not know the scriptures, neither the power of God, for they deny what is written:

1Tim 3:16: "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

Real scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35 KJB).

Ps. The ESV, NKJV, NLT are all terribly bad with mistakes in them and are broken in places. They may contain parts of the word of God, in and of themselves are not the whole word of God, demonstrable upon request.

God is not a man, (at that time God had not taken the form of man, and when he did, he remained 'God with us.') that he should lie; neither the son of man, (Jesus was the Son of God) that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? (Numbers 23:19 KJV)

(This was said in response to Balak. Even the heathen would not allow their false god to be a liar.) There is no need to take the sayings of these people seriously.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he "wheat and the weeds" for example. Was this parable about literal "wheat and weeds"? Was the parable about the rich man and Lazarus about a real rich man and a beggar?
Were the beasts in Daniel and Revelation real creatures? Was the devil a real dragon or a snake?

Surely you must know the difference between something symbolic and something literal....?
To be clear, Jesus explained exactly what the Wheat and Tares doctrine meant in literal terms. It was not just a symbolic parable spoken to teach an abstract lesson.

It is a specific Truth.
Matthew 13:36-43

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are in error. The Bible says that God is a spirit, which means God is a spirit Being.

The Father is not a perfume, not an aethereal essence pervading the universe. That is pantheism, or panentheism, both of which are gross heresies and destroys the Gospel itself.

Mat_6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Luk_11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

He, the Father, is a "Person", even His person (Job 13:8; Hebrews 1:3), of which Jesus (the Son) is the "express image" of.

As for the rest, see "His person" (Job 13:8); "form of God" (Philippians 2:6), "shape" (John 5:37), "image" (Genesis 1:26,27; Hebrews 1:3), "likeness" (Genesis 1:26,27), "being" (Acts 17:28), has a very real movable "Throne" on which He sits (Daniel 7:9-10; Revelation 4-5, &c), has "the hair of his head like the pure wool" (Daniel 7:9), "whose garment was white as snow" (Daniel 7:9), has a "right hand" (Revelation 5:1; Acts 7:55-56), able to be looked upon, "to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone" (Revelation 4:2), having His own "nature" (Galatians 4:8).

God has hairs on His head, Daniel 7:9; and has hands, Exodus 33:22; and has feet, Exodus 24:10; and loins [H4975; waist to upper thighs, see 1 Kings 18:46, etc], Ezekiel 1:27; a face, Matthew 18:10; a heart, Genesis 6:6; parts, Exodus 22:32; a form, Philippians 2:6; shape, John 5:37; is a Person, Hebrews 1:3; is a Soul, Jeremiah 5:9; and is a Spirit, thus has a mind, Matthew 12:28.

See also "back parts" (Exodus 33:23), and even a "divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4), see also "under his feet" (Exodus 24:10).

The angels are also called 'spirits' and "persons" ("fellows"; Hebrews 1:9), "young man" (Mark 16:5; Daniel 9:21; &c), and yet have real celestial (Heavenly) "bodies" with unfallen angelic "flesh" (1 Corinthians 15:35-58; Jude 1:7, Genesis 17-19, &c) an unfallen heavenly "nature" (Hebrews 2:16), where as we have bodies terrestrial (dust).

The Son is also a "person" (Hebrews 1:3; 2 Corinthians 2:10; Matthew 27:24; Deuteronomy 27:25; &c).

So is the Holy Ghost (John 14:16; &c)

Mankind are also called 'spirits' (1 Peter 3:19; Hebrews 12:23) and yet are real tangible beings, with bodies (made of dust).

Philippians 2:6; Daniel 3:25; Genesis 18:4, 19:2; Exodus 24:10-11; Psalms 18:9; John 5:37; Exodus 33:23,20,22; Daniel 7:9-10,13; Ezekiel 1:1,8,26-28; Acts 7:55-56; Psalms 24:1-10; John 20:17; 1 Peter 3:22; Matthew 18:10; Revelation 1:13-20, 2:1, 4:1-11, 5:1-14; Hebrews 1:13; Colossians 1:3-6; Numbers 12:8; Isaiah 45:23, 48:3; Revelation 3:16; Psalms 89:34; Psalms 104:33, 146:2; Acts 17:28; Genesis 1:26-27; Colossians 1:15; &c.
No, Jesus said quite plainly that God is Spirit and scripture teaches quite plainly that He entered creation in the person of His Son.

23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:23-24

5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:
“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
Hebrews 20:5-6

20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body.
John 2:20-21

Bodies are material and part of creation. Every verse that speaks to the observation of God in a human form is talking about a form that He took , including those in heaven.
Heaven and it's inhabitants are part of creation.

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.Genesis 1:1-2

6 Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” 7 Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. 8 And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day. Genesis 1:6-8

God is not part of creation, but created all things and entered into creation, taking form, but not having form.

God is omnipresent, which means that He is in all places at the same time. That which has form is limited by spacial dimension, but such a concept applied to God denies the whole body of scripture from Genesis to Revelation. Do you think that He moves constantly from one believer to another very very fast? Isn't that just a wee bit silly?

17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him. John 1:17-18

12 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 1 John 4:12-13

You'll notice that the scripture says "no one has seen
God at any time", not once, but twice. These don't say no man has seen God, but no one. God is Spirit and immaterial. He is self existent and eternal, without beginning and without end. He is not part of creation, all creation has a beginning. Even the heavenly host has not seen God but a form that He has taken for He dwells in unapproachable light.

15 which He will manifest in His own time, He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen. 1 Timothy 6:15-17
In 1 Timothy, Paul wrote "whom no man has seen or can see", but this passage doesn't contradict John, but helps us to understand John. Our concept of God is limited to what we and the angels can apprehend, but even they observe us to learn more about God.
12 To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into. 1 Peter 1:12

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
Colossians 1:15
"Jesus is the image of the invisible God" and the only image, because God has no form but that which He's taken in His Son.

It is the corrupt mind of man that assigns the creator an image (other than His Son).
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Romans 1:22-23

You may not understand these things in the limitations of your comprehension, but that doesn't make them less than true or "error". God is perceived as "glory" and His glory is witnessed in His Son.

Last edited:

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Num. 23:19 doesn't say God can never become a man or that He would never become man. It says that He doesn't need to repent like men need to because He never sins and always keeps His promises.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why quote a scripture like satan (Matthew 4; Luke 4) does, and cite Exodus 33:20 out of its proper context and leave out the appropriate text which would correct your error? It speaks of the Son's (not the Father who remained in Heaven) "face":

Exodus 33:20 - And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

Exodus 33:23 - And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Exodus 24:10 - And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.

Exodus 24:11 - And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

You deny scripture to suit your known error. You deny reality to justify your imagination. The heart is deceitfully wicked ...
Crumbs, you make me smile.....you think that because God portrays himself in human terms that he actually has human body parts?
palm
God is a spirit so he has no visible form. If he did not describe his activities in human terms, to human beings, who would understand?

And you think these people who said that they "saw God" actually did? He said "no man can see me and live" and John told us that "no man has ever seen God"....do the math.
headslap
Somebody is not listening.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about Exodus 33:11? God surely has a face. What kind of an odd being would he be if he had not a face?
Seek His face!

"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation." Psalm 27:8-9

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

"Beloved, now are we children of God, and it is not yet made manifest what we shall be. We know that, if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even as he is." I John 3:2

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seek His face!

"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation." Psalm 27:8-9

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

"Beloved, now are we children of God, and it is not yet made manifest what we shall be. We know that, if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even as he is." I John 3:2
You might enjoy this, if you are able to view powerpoint studies - New Sermon Study up, you might enjoy - Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29,36 KJB) - John 1 Vs 29 And 36 Behold The Lamb Of God Which Taketh Away The Sin Of The World - Sermon study by brother Aaron Earnest : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Reactions: amadeus

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, if you've seen a real Christian, you've seen someone being renewed in the image of God and joined to His Son by His Spirit.
Jesus is the "express image" (Hebrews 1:3 KJB), and thus to be 'renewed in the image of God' is to look like Jesus in character, and thus to see a true Christian is to see Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18 KJB), even as Jesus came in the Father's name and represented His character, and thus to see Jesus, was to see the character of the Father.

Last edited:

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Numbers 23:19
New Living Translation
God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?

First, Num 23:19 says God is not man. But Jesus Christ is both man and God. Why would God say He is not man? Jesus Himself was called "the Son of Man" during His earthly ministry. So why would this verse say that God is not a "Son of Man?
First, Jesus was not "a man" prior to His incarnation.
Second, Jesus carefully distinguishes Himself from "God (Mark 10:17)." Rather, He claims to be "the Son of God," not God (= the Father).

Third, to become fully human, Jesus "emptied Himself." Emptied Himself of what? His divinity? No, His divine prerogatives--omniscient, omnipotence, etc. So Jesus could do no miracles prior to receiving the Holy Spirit at His baptism.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might enjoy this, if you are able to view powerpoint studies - New Sermon Study up, you might enjoy - Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29,36 KJB) - John 1 Vs 29 And 36 Behold The Lamb Of God Which Taketh Away The Sin Of The World - Sermon study by brother Aaron Earnest : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Thanks! I am hopeful I'll be able to view it. I do not have Microsoft Office, but I have Softmaker Office which works in lieu of Excel and Word. It has the Presentations which is supposed to work for Powerpoint. I have never used it, but I will give it a try... Thanks again!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the "express image" (Hebrews 1:3 KJB), and thus to be 'renewed in the image of God' is to look like Jesus in character, and thus to see a true Christian is to see Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18 KJB), even as Jesus came in the Father's name and represented His character, and thus to see Jesus, was to see the character of the Father.
I don't disagree with this, but by this definition you won't see a single "true Christian " until the resurrection. We have not yet recieved the redemption of our bodies without sin.

It sounds like you're back on the right track now. Keep reading scripture, praying for understanding, and believing the Lord Jesus Christ.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't disagree with this, but by this definition you won't see a single "true Christian " until the resurrection. We have not yet recieved the redemption of our bodies without sin.

It sounds like you're back on the right track now. Keep reading scripture, praying for understanding, and believing the Lord Jesus Christ.
That is a failure to understand Christianity. Born again as a 'babe', then growing up ...

Mark 4:28 KJB - "For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear."

Perfection is at various stages all along the way, not merely the end at adulthood.

Reactions: Cassandra

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a failure to understand Christianity. Born again as a 'babe', then growing up ...

Mark 4:28 KJB - "For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear."

Perfection is at various stages all along the way, not merely the end at adulthood.
Not really. A Christian is only perfected in the sense of "completion" by the Holy Spirit. God does through us what we are unable to do ourselves because of our old and base nature, but in the resurrection we shall know as we are known, for we shall be like Him and without sin.

Your interpretation of Christianity is just veiled self righteousness and such righteousness is no greater than that of the Pharisees who condemned the Lord and sent Him to be judged and crucified by Pilate. Believe the word of God and lean not on your own understanding.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
@Hidden In Him @marks @Enoch111 @Sabertooth @Nancy @GRACE ambassador @Ronald David Bruno @BARNEY BRIGHT @amadeus @FHII @michaelvpardo @ReChoired @Not me

Apologies if I've missed anyone. Feel free to invite. However, I do find this predicament to be troubling. .

Think of it like this..

The nature of God, is not "mankind".
Or the nature of mankind.

"God is not like the nature of Mankind", as all these are "all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God'.

What is the Glory of God?
its the nature of God, which is Righteousness and Truth and Life.

When you think...>"what is Man".

Well, 1st Adam is "man", and "mankind" is what Adam became after he became the nature of the fallen one.
Or as Jesus explains.>"YOU, (all who are not born again) are of YOUR Father the DEVIL, and the Lusts of your father you will do".

See that nature of LUST? That is "mankind"......and God is not of that "mankind" that He would tell lies, like those.

So, the verse isn't saying that Jesus who is God manifested in the FLESH is not a MAN.....but rather he is not OF MAN's SEED, which is to be OF ManKind....or what God is NOT because He is not of that NATURE = a LIAR like Mankind.

Jesus is GOD, the 2nd Adam...>He is not "mankind", like we are, as we are not of God's seed, or of God's Holy Spirit, LIKE ADAM THE 1st WAS, and then he fell, and became fallen mankind, of which we are, till we become Born again of a NEW Father, = GOD, and we then have become born again RESTORED SPIRITUALLY into the same spiritual condition as Adam the 1st, before he fell.

Last edited:

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him @marks @Enoch111 @Sabertooth @Nancy @GRACE ambassador @Ronald David Bruno @BARNEY BRIGHT @amadeus @FHII @michaelvpardo @ReChoired @Not me

Apologies if I've missed anyone. Feel free to invite.

Numbers 23:19

English Standard Version

God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

New King James Version

“God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

New Living Translation

God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?

First, Num 23:19 says God is not man. But Jesus Christ is both man and God. Why would God say He is not man? Jesus Himself was called "the Son of Man" during His earthly ministry. So why would this verse say that God is not a "Son of Man?

Second, Jesus, the begotten of God, is human. That which is begotten of, is of the same substance and nature as that which begets. Ergo, God the Father is also, and has eternally been, human Himself.

Third, there must never have been a time in the eternal existence of either God the Father or God the Son that they were not human, because if that were so, then that would mean Jesus changed in order to become something different. We know from scripture that God does not change: Malachi 3:6 , Hebrews 13:8 , Psalms 55:19 , Psalms 102:27.

I believe the truth of the holy scriptures are able to withstand any attacks on them, including this one, for they are the foundation of all truth and rightness. However, I do find this predicament to be troubling. Not game-breaking, just troubling. All help appreciated and God bless.

It seems to me that you are misunderstanding the verse. It is not sayoing that "God" is a man. It is saying/impling that "God" is not like a man for whom is a liar or lies. In other words, He is not a liar and is incapable of lying like human do.-Hebrews 6:18

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that you are misunderstanding the verse. It is not sayoing that "God" is a man. It is saying/impling that "God" is not like a man for whom is a liar or lies. In other words, He is not a liar and is incapable of lying like human do.-Hebrews 6:18

That is the correct answer. If God lied, He would be behaving like a person, i.e., dishonestly.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
First, Num 23:19 says God is not man. But Jesus Christ is both man and God. Why would God say He is not man?

When Numbers 23 was written, 1 Timothy 3:16 didnt exist.

God was not Jesus manifested in the Flesh, (was not born yet) when Numbers 23 was written.
He is now not only Virgin born but Risen from the Dead.
Jesus is ALIVE.

Reactions: Cooper