Obedience

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Paul, an isrealite by birth, was aware that the promise was made to the 'house of Isreal' and he spoke to gentile christians about this in Romans chpt 9.

However, in Romans 9:6,7,8 he stresses the fact that "not all who spring from Isreal are trully Isreal" but the 'seed' are the 'children of the promise'
He clarifies who the 'children of the promise' are in Galatians 4:28 He was speaking to Gentile christians for in Gal 5:2 he discusses cirmucision and says "if YOU become circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to YOU" So he wasnt speaking to Jews here but rather uncircumcised believers.

Now, if you want to hold to the belief that the 'house of Isreal' only applies to a natural born Jews you are welcome to do that, but I will stick to the bible in this regard and to the writings of Paul who was inspired by holy spirit to write:

Galatians 3:29 "Moreover, if YOU belong to Christ, YOU are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with reference to a promise."

Paul is speaking these things in a figure, not a physical reality. Isaac was truly born of promise, of faith, not of flesh. Such is what makes us heirs. However, to dismiss the truths and the prophetic utterances pertaining to the fleshly promises given to Israel, and their fulfillment to come is to deny the word of God, and to make His words fit our beliefs instead of the other way around. This is a common practice in those who do not understand how to correctly divide the word of truth. It is for the purpose of supporting theology instead of upholding the truth of the Scriptures. It will certainly aid in retaining opinion, but such opinions result in the denial of God's declarations.

fivesense

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

Like Jacob, we become Israelites by a change in our character.

Logabe

Yes thats quite right, you've got the idea.

Jacob had his name changed because of the incident where he wrestled with an angel all night long Genesis 32:26,27,28
It was due to Jacobs persistence in trying to obtain Gods blessing that God eventually did bless him because Jacob showed to God how much he wanted Gods approval.

Christians need to be the same in that regard. We need to prove to God that we will do anything in order to obtain his approval and we show that by our obedience to him and our willingness to put aside our own will in order to do his will. We dont have to wrestle with angels but we do have to wrestle with ourselves and our own selfish desires though.

If we do that, then we can become Abrahams seed 'heirs with reference to a promise' :)

Grat

Feb 18, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I was listening to a sermon on the radio the other day & got annoyed with it and i was going to turn it off. I decided in the end not to, because I wanted to learn WHY I was so disturbed by it.
He started off by retelling an incident that happened while travelling in a car with some friends to a sporting event. They ended up talking about all of the things that they thought were disadvantages in being a Christian.
All of the things were about the “disciplines” like turning the other check, being nice to the not nice, holding your tongue, etc.
He then went on to a discussion about the 10 commandments, etc. About our duty of obedience.
This crystallised in me what I didn’t like about the sermon. I’ve come to the conclusions that there are no disadvantages. I’ve also come to realise that there is only 1 acceptable motivation. Love.
I do “the right thing” not because i have to, not because of fear of retribution or judgement, but because I love my Father too much to do something else. Do I always succeed? Hell no.
But my motivation is love.
As Kris Valotton (Bethel Church, Reeding California) said “If you’re in love, it’s not a sacrifice”, it’s a pleasure.