ON THE FENCE ABOUT REPENTANCE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I honour <fify> the son because of what He did, and so therefore <fify> Honour God, you just keep adding.

Joh_8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

Jhn 5:22, For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
Jhn 5:23, That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Therefore God became flesh; since the Word was God; and the Word became flesh.

Who do you think God in the flesh is, if He isn't Jesus Christ?
Can I ask you one question, can God be separated form God, do you not know what death is, complete separation from God, if JEsus was God than eh lied when He said, My God My God why have you forasken me, can God deny God.

2Ti_2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I ask you one question, can God be separated form God, do you not know what death is, complete separation from God, if JEsus was God than eh lied when He said, My God My God why have you forasken me, can God deny God.

2Ti_2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

The human soul of Jesus became a sin offering for us (Isaiah 53:10)...the humanity of Jesus, in the crucifixion, was separated from His Deity.

So God needs to give Himself things He already has???

"Committing" judgment to the Son, is not giving the Son anything that He did not already have. The Father simply delegated authority to the Son to commence judgment...He already was the perfect judge.

1Pe 1:17, And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Wait a minute...I thought that the Father judgeth no man but has committed all judgment to the Son...!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The human soul of Jesus became a sin offering for us (Isaiah 53:10)...the humanity of Jesus, in the crucifixion, was separated from His Deity.

"Committing" judgment to the Son, is not giving the Son anything that He did not already have. The Father simply delegated authority to the Son to commence judgment...He already was the perfect judge.

Wait a minute...I thought that the Father judgeth no man but has committed all judgment to the Son...!

Joh 8:15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
Joh 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

Oh so Jesus isnt God, for God to give Him that than He didnt already have it. or is God beside Himself..

Waiting to see how deep you will dig this hole seems to be the bain of your existence. I wonder how you will xplain it when you se the Son standing next to the father.

Dan 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
Dan 7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So once everyone has given their personal 'opinion', what does God's Word actually teach about continued repentance after having come to Christ? That's easy, it is covered in 1 John 1, and in Luke 11 with how Jesus showed us how to pray, which includes a passage for us to ask The Father forgiveness of our sins.

Which one really matters, our opinion, or what God's Word says on the matter?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh 8:15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
Joh 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

Oh so Jesus isnt God, for God to give Him that than He didnt already have it. or is God beside Himself..

Waiting to see how deep you will dig this hole seems to be the bain of your existence. I wonder how you will xplain it when you se the Son standing next to the father.

Dan 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
Dan 7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.
The Son is distinct from the Father in my view.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He would never have been able to bear the weight of the sin of the World on human power alone. Rabbit hole, JBF. Sophisticated theories based on mounds of disjointed prooftexts will never suffice to plumb the depths of the Almighty.

Job 11
7Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?

8It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?

9The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea

The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. (Deuteronomy 29:29)

If the nature of God Himself is not one of "the secret things," what is?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He would never have been able to bear the weight of the sin of the World on human power alone.
You may be right about that. I do think that it was Jesus' finite human soul that was made an offering for sin (Isaiah 53:10).

While it may be that because Jesus was God in His own right, His human soul may have been infinite.

Thus it may be that His infinite human soul was separated from His Spirit (who was indeed the Father); while His soul may have been just as much the God who created us; because the spirit and soul and body that was Jesus Christ developed from a union with the egg in the womb of the virgin Mary and the Holy Ghost. Thus the zygote that developed was 100% Man and 100% God.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may be right about that. I do think that it was Jesus' finite human soul that was made an offering for sin (Isaiah 53:10).

While it may be that because Jesus was God in His own right, His human soul may have been infinite.

Thus it may be that His infinite human soul was separated from His Spirit (who was indeed the Father); while His soul may have been just as much the God who created us; because the spirit and soul and body that was Jesus Christ developed from a union with the egg in the womb of the virgin Mary and the Holy Ghost. Thus the zygote that developed was 100% Man and 100% God.
Rabbit hole, JBF. I've thought about this stuff probably more thoroughly and intently than anything else I've studied and, for me, It led to more uncertainty, the deeper I dug. Many Theologians have driven themselves to skepticism dwelling upon this point. Holy ground; please be careful to remove your sandals, my friend. :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rabbit hole, JBF. I've thought about this stuff probably more thoroughly and intently than anything else I've studied and, for me, It led to more uncertainty, the deeper I dug. Many Theologians have driven themselves to skepticism dwelling upon this point. Holy ground; please be careful to remove your sandals, my friend. :)
Maybe it's better not to dig into that subject, then.

But I don't think that it is too complicated to understand; and I don't think that I have presented to you a "rabbit hole".

It is not clear as to whether Jesus' soul was finite or infinite; what is clear is that it was His soul that was offered up as a sin offering (Isaiah 53:10).

If you think that a finite soul would not be able to bear the sins of the world, then in order to accommodate that belief you would have to adjust by believing that His soul is infinite. And I think that this is also the more viable conclusion.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it's better not to dig into that subject, then.

But I don't think that it is too complicated to understand; and I don't think that I have presented to you a "rabbit hole".

It is not clear as to whether Jesus' soul was finite or infinite; what is clear is that it was His soul that was offered up as a sin offering (Isaiah 53:10).

If you think that a finite soul would not be able to bear the sins of the world, then in order to accommodate that belief you would have to adjust by believing that His soul is infinite. And I think that this is also the more viable conclusion.
What is a soul and what makes a soul finite or infinite?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an opinion…discussion…comment thread…about repentance concepts and how it all fits into salvation and our Christian life….have a blast. Starting with some basic questions….

1. Define repentance?

2. Can you repent sins you do not remember? Repentance when becoming a Christian? And Repentance during your life as a Christian?

3. Is repentance a one time thing?

4. Do we repent first before asking Christ to forgive our sins?

5. Do we need to ask Christ to forgive our sins? Is forgiveness automatic for Christians?

6. Can you repent a habitual sin? In other words can an alcoholic or drug user become a Christian in good standing while he or she fights the addiction, desire, or lifestyle? Or does he or she have to wait until they have entirely kicked the habit or activity? If so, how long?

concerning repentance ...lots of threads on it. Consider 2 Corinthians 12:19-21 Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. [20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

‘bewail’ sounds heavy and painful as does the ‘I fear’ ‘my God will humble me among you’ ‘and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not’

also consider the Revelation of Jesus Christ...why is there so much of and for all this: STILL they curse Him and rebel and refuse to give God the glory? Revelation 16:11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

their own deeds, the cause and source of “their pain and their sores”

stubborn, rebellious, hard hearted, relentless unbelief, and a strong refusal to yield or break forth for deliverance. (Repentance? A turning with a strong cry to the One who is able to save from death) Hebrews 5:7-11 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; [8] Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; [9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; [10] Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec. [11] Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
hard to be uttered why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
concerning repentance ...lots of threads on it. Consider 2 Corinthians 12:19-21 Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. [20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

‘bewail’ sounds heavy and painful as does the ‘I fear’ ‘my God will humble me among you’ ‘and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not’

also consider the Revelation of Jesus Christ...why is there so much of and for all this: STILL they curse Him and rebel and refuse to giveGod the glory? Revelation 16:11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.
their own deeds, the cause and source of “their pain and their sores”

stubborn, rebellious, hard hearted, relentless unbelief, and a strong refusal to yield or break forth for deliverance. (Repentance? A turning with a strong cry to the One who is able to save from death) Hebrews 5:7-11 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; [8] Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; [9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; [10] Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchizdec. [11] Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
hard to be uttered why?

That is very good...particularly from the biblical and theological perspective.
Some ponder how that fits into the process of discovery...belief...and walking with Christ.
Sorrow...change...commitment...
People look at others and judge their repentance....
Some believe that repentance is a one time thing....
Some believe that repentance is required anytime we come to Christ and ask forgiveness...
Some believe that we do not have to ask for forgiveness, just confess our sins....
Some believe that forgiveness is automatic....
It is an interesting topic because you can pull scriptures to support different beliefs.