Once saved, always saved is a myth.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When saved it’s obvious no one was saved. It’s like the end of what was very much believed to be happening. Because it actually wasn’t, it’s not really an end.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who heard the words of Jesus, after following: left him, @BlessedPeace.

John 6

Words to the Disciples

59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.

60 So then many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This statement is very [k]unpleasant; who can listen to it?” 61 But Jesus, aware that His disciples were complaining about this, said to them, “Is this [l]offensive to you? 62 What then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh provides no benefit; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit, and are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was who would [m]betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

Peter’s Confession of Faith

66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him. 67 So Jesus said to the twelve, “You do not want to leave also, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 And we have already believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.” 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.” 71 Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot; for he, one of the twelve, [n]was going to betray Him.
These disciples who set out to be followers of Jesus, yet no longer walked with Him after hearing words from Jesus that were unpleasant to hear demonstrated that they were not truly His disciples. John 8:31 - “If you continue in My word, then you are truly My disciples. They did not continue so they were not truly His disciples. As for Judas Iscariot, he was an unbelieving, unclean devil who betrayed Jesus. (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11) No loss of salvation here for these disciples or Judas Iscariot. Only a failure to receive it in the first place.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These disciples who set out to be followers of Jesus, yet no longer walked with Him after hearing words from Jesus that were unpleasant to hear demonstrated that they were not truly His disciples. John 8:31 - “If you continue in My word, then you are truly My disciples. They did not continue so they were not truly His disciples. As for Judas Iscariot, he was an unbelieving, unclean devil who betrayed Jesus. (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11) No loss of salvation here for these disciples or Judas Iscariot. Only a failure to receive it in the first place.
They could have converted within the 40 years of Jesus coming back.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They could?? Whose salvation plan is this anyway, God's or man's?

To God Be The Glory

Why couldn’t they?

Remember Jesus telling the council member, that he would end up seeing him coming in the clouds? That council’s member then sentenced him to death. Sometimes afterward he could have turned around and repented. Just like people who were under the plagues in their day, continued to curse God rather than repent.

Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus walked for 40 days after resurrection.

Repentance has no timeline correlation to that prophecy and generational span.
That’s not what I was talking about.

Everything Jesus is opening telling his disciples is true and would happen with in a generation. If you wanted to not be part of Gods wrath, it was best to one’s faith in Jesus and remove oneself from the worship of the Law.

There was a given time for repentance to them… otherwise Jesus is just lying here and nothing else he says prior matters.

This single passage has been seen by C. S. Lewis deeming it an “embarrassment.”

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s not what I was talking about.

Everything Jesus is opening telling his disciples is true and would happen with in a generation. If you wanted to not be part of Gods wrath, it was best to one’s faith in Jesus and remove oneself from the worship of the Law.

There was a given time for repentance to them… otherwise Jesus is just lying here and nothing else he says prior matters.

This single passage has been seen by C. S. Lewis deeming it an “embarrassment.”
How it was seen by Lewis or any others,isn't important.

Wrong is wrong.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How it was seen by Lewis or any others,isn't important.

Wrong is wrong.

So Jesus was lying about speaking about that generation?

Would you like to freely just address your own point, or opinion on the matter? For me generation is a period of 40 years. Therefore what Jesus said happened within 40 years and by 70Ad had come around, judgement had came.

Some may find what those old men said interesting. The line about the generation is looked at an embarrassment to some, but hell Jesus couldn’t have been lying.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If #40 has any kinds of spiritual meaning it means "testing!!"

We read in

Would you like to freely just address your own point, or opinion on the matter? For me generation is a period of 40 years. Therefore what Jesus said happened within 40 years and by 70Ad had come around, judgement had came.

Some may find what those old men said interesting. The line about the generation is looked at an embarrassment to some, but hell Jesus couldn’t have been lying.
It sounds plausible that 40 yrs. is a generation since Jesus lived on earth for forty yrs.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If #40 has any kinds of spiritual meaning it means "testing!!"

It sounds plausible that 40 yrs. is a generation since Jesus lived on earth for forty yrs.
I find these to be interesting statements. Where did you get them, please?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No

it is just you got the generation wrong.

That generation has not appeared on earth yet (that we know of. it could be this generation for all we know)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No

it is just you got the generation wrong.

That generation has not appeared on earth yet (that we know of. it could be this generation for all we know)
Then Jesus was lying to his disciples who he explained to openly. You suppose that Jesus is wrong, if that is the case.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then Jesus was lying to his disciples who he explained to openly. You suppose that Jesus is wrong, if that is the case.
No, it was true. There are other scriptures who we address to "this generation," in each case, He was speaking to the people present at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.