One and Triune God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason Christian baptism is by immersion is that it fully identifies the believer symbolically with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

"Baptism" means "wash" or "wash away." Jesus commanded the eleven disciples in verse 16, "to go therefore and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

As disciples of Jesus we are also given this commission, but how can we accomplish this, did God also have given us the power as He gave to Jesus?

Of course not! As we teach all nations and someone becomes saved it's as if we have washed away the sins of that person as "faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

And, baptizing them by means in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

And Jesus said He will be with His disciples till the end of the world! Amen.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how do you think the 3000 were Baptized at Pentecost in Jerusalem?
The Temple pools would have been OFF LIMITS to Christian Baptisms - especially in the wake of the crucifixion of the "criminal" Jesus.

Sorry but you have the wrong interpretation of the event of Pentecost! This must be read in light of Acts 1:8. If you still don't get it let me know and I'll expound why the event of Pentecost must occur.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife and @Enoch111,

The water could have been ankle deep or knee deep and that's the reason Philip and the eunuch were able to both get down into the water and both up out of the water.

Read Acts 8:36 for it does Not describe that it is a river but "a certain water."

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry but you have the wrong interpretation of the event of Pentecost! This must be read in light of Acts 1:8. If you still don't get it let me know and I'll expound why the event of Pentecost must occur.

To God Be The Glory
Then, please enlighten me as to whay I have "wrong" about what happened in Jerusalem on Pentecost in Acts 2.

Were 3000 people NOT Baptized?
If they were - as the text clearly implies - then they were Baptized with WATER and the SPIRIT, as per John 3:5, Acts 2:38, Acts 8:36-38, Acts 10:47, Pet. 3:21.

If you have a different version of the events - please show me, Chapter and Verse.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife and @Enoch111,

The water could have been ankle deep or knee deep and that's the reason Philip and the eunuch were able to both get down into the water and both up out of the water.

Read Acts 8:36 for it does Not describe that it is a river but "a certain water."

To God Be The Glory
And I never said that the water was deep in ANY of the accounts in the NT.

My entire poit is that full imersion was NOT the "only" method of Christian Baptism - as I clearly stated in my last post.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus doesn't lie. Before you can understand those verses, you need to accept in Matt. 28:19 the apostles were instructed to baptize in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit, and that at the same time those three are considered singular:

"πορευθέντες οὖν μαθητεύσατε πάντα τὰ ἔθνη, βαπτίζοντες (baptize) αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸ ὄνομα (in the name [singular]) τοῦ πατρὸς (of the father) καὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ (and of the son) καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος (of the holy spirit)..." (Matt. 28:19)

What is the name of the holy spirit?

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before you can understand later writings about baptism, you have to accept this basic fact first. If/when you do, we can then continue our discussion.

When you say baptism, are you talking about water.. I believe that is the way I'm reading it. If so do you have anything on -

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? - Romans 6:3.

And are you saying this comes by water?

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"πορευθέντες οὖν μαθητεύσατε πάντα τὰ ἔθνη, βαπτίζοντες (baptize) αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸ ὄνομα (in the name) τοῦ πατρὸς (of the father) καὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ (of the son) καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος (of the holy spirit)..." (Matt. 28:19)

As we read, the apostles were instructed to invoke in the name (singular) of the following three (plural): the father, the son, and the holy spirit, each separate being serving a particular role, yet they all are the one God, and thus are called "God."

To better help you understand, consider there exists three separate states of water: solid, liquid, and gas, each serving a particular role, yet they all are water, and thus are called ''water."

How is the "state" of the Father different than the Holy Spirit? Isn't the Father also a spirit? If the Father is not Spirit and not flesh, then what is this third state?

If the Holy Spirit is a third person, it would be rude of Paul to ignore him:

1 Cor
Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Cor
Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans
To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Galatians
Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

Ephesians
Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Colossians
To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians
Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thess
Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thess
Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Timothy
Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

2 Timothy
To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

Titus
To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

Philemon
Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews
God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Other writers:
James
James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

1 Peter
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

2 Peter
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

1 John
That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

2 John
Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.

Jude
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.

No NT writer mentions him as a third person.

God is holy:
Psalm 99:9
Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.

God is a Spirit:
John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

The Father is the Holy Spirit. His manifestation in the flesh is Yeshua.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It boggles the rational mind how trinitarians can read Jhn 1:1 and research the origins of the trinity doctrine, and still believe this fallacious doctrine is biblical, even though this verse never describes the existence of a triune god as existing before anything else did. If the trinity doctrine was biblical and God wanted absolutely no confusion that He was a triune Being, then surely He would've inspired John to write that such was the case.

Better yet, if the trinity was biblical, trintarians wouldn't have to resort to using philosophical arguments or twist passages that they clearly don't understand out of their proper context in order to argue in support of this belief.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It boggles the rational mind how trinitarians can read Jhn 1:1 and research the origins of the trinity doctrine, and still believe this fallacious doctrine is biblical, even though this verse never describes the existence of a triune god as existing before anything else did. If the trinity doctrine was biblical and God wanted absolutely no confusion that He was a triune Being, then surely He would've inspired John to write that such was the case.

Better yet, if the trinity was biblical, trintarians wouldn't have to resort to using philosophical arguments or twist passages that they clearly don't understand out of their proper context in order to argue in support of this belief.

All pagan deities are triune:

Nimrod, Samaramis, Horus (Father, mother, son.) Babylon
Isis, Osiris, Horus - Egypt
Ninus, Ishtar, Tammuz - Babylon
Jupiter, Minerva, Juno - Rome
Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva (creator, sustainer, destroyer) Hindu.
EL, Asherah & Baal - Canaan

The Roman sun god cult that hijacked Christianity had to shape the image of the new god into the image of the old gods.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did ACTS 1:8! But you did not respond to it. You must first deal with it then we can reason together.

To God Be The Glory
You are confused.

Acts 1:8
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

This verse is about the promise that the Holy Spirit descend upon His disciples - which it DID on the day of Pentecost.
This is NOT a text about Baptism - in whihc Peter told the crowd to partake in Acts 2:38.
This inc;luded WATER and the Holy spirit.

Now - please explain what I got "wrong" about the 3000 people being Baptized on Pentecost, per Acts 2:41, whioch states explicitly:
Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All pagan deities are triune:

Nimrod, Samaramis, Horus (Father, mother, son.) Babylon
Isis, Osiris, Horus - Egypt
Ninus, Ishtar, Tammuz - Babylon
Jupiter, Minerva, Juno - Rome
Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva (creator, sustainer, destroyer) Hindu.
EL, Asherah & Baal - Canaan

The Roman sun god cult that hijacked Christianity had to shape the image of the new god into the image of the old gods.
Nonsense.
First of all - the god YOU names are all INDIVIDUAL gods - not Triune godheads.

Secondly - the Bible teaches that God is a Trinity - THREE Persons, ONE God:
Genesis 1:26
Then God said, "Let US make mankind in OUR image, in OUR likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Matt. 28:19
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,"

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Fatherthe Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

1 Cor. 12:4-6
"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons."

2 Cor. 13:14,
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these THREE are ONE.

The Father is God
Eph. 4:6

One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Psalm 68:5
Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.

Mal. 2:10
Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us? Why then are we faithless to one another, profaning the covenant of our fathers?

Isa, 63:16
For you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us, and Israel does not acknowledge us; you, O Lord, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name.

2 Cor. 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 8:41
You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.”

1 Thess. 3:13
So that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus.

Jesus is God

Isa. 7:14
All right then, the Lord himself will give you the sign. Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means 'God is with us').

Isa. 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Matt. 4:7
Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the word was God.

John 1:3
ALL things were made by HIM (Jesus); and without him was not ANY thing made that was made.

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.”

John 10:30
“I and the Father are one."

John 15:9
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him [Jesus], “My Lord and my God!”

Acts 5:3-4
Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to GOD.

2 Corinthians 4:4
...lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Phil. 2:6
...Who [Jesus], being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Col. 2:9
...For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

1 Tim. 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Heb. 1:8
But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Tit. 2:13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cont'd . . .

The Holy Spirit is God
John 14:16-18
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you *ANOTHER Helper, that He may abide with you forever -- the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

*This word in Greek means, “another of the SAME kind.”

Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

2 Cor. 3:17
Now the Lord IS the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2 Cor. 13:5
Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that JESUS CHRIST IS IN YOU?

John 14:23
Jesus replied: "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him and WE will come to him and make OUR home with him.

But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? "While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to GOD."

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are confused.

Acts 1:8
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

This verse is about the promise that the Holy Spirit descend upon His disciples - which it DID on the day of Pentecost.
This is NOT a text about Baptism - in whihc Peter told the crowd to partake in Acts 2:38.
This inc;luded WATER and the Holy spirit.

Now - please explain what I got "wrong" about the 3000 people being Baptized on Pentecost, per Acts 2:41, whioch states explicitly:
Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
I wouldn't say you are "wrong" about what you have said. However, it must be pointed out that the reason those 3,000 and the 5,000 added in chapter 4 were all Jews who had traveled to Jerusalem for the feast of Shavu'ot.
Nonsense.
First of all - the god YOU names are all INDIVIDUAL gods - not Triune godheads.

Secondly - the Bible teaches that God is a Trinity - THREE Persons, ONE God:
Genesis 1:26
Then God said, "Let US make mankind in OUR image, in OUR likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,"

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Fatherthe Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

1 Cor. 12:4-6
"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons."

2 Cor. 13:14,
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these THREE are ONE.

The Father is God
Eph. 4:6

One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Psalm 68:5
Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.

Mal. 2:10
Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us? Why then are we faithless to one another, profaning the covenant of our fathers?

Isa, 63:16
For you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us, and Israel does not acknowledge us; you, O Lord, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name.

2 Cor. 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 8:41
You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.”

1 Thess. 3:13
So that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus.

Jesus is God

Isa. 7:14
All right then, the Lord himself will give you the sign. Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means 'God is with us').

Isa. 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Matt. 4:7
Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the word was God.

John 1:3
ALL things were made by HIM (Jesus); and without him was not ANY thing made that was made.

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.”

John 10:30
“I and the Father are one."

John 15:9
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him [Jesus], “My Lord and my God!”

Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to GOD.

2 Corinthians 4:4
...lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Phil. 2:6
...Who [Jesus], being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Col. 2:9
...For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

1 Tim. 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Heb. 1:8
But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Tit. 2:13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ
Genesis 1:26 Two is just as much "us" as 3.

1 John 5:7 made its first appearance in the Septuagint. It ONLY appears in Greek texts, not at all in Semitic texts.

Matthew 28:19 suffers from the same problem. Semitic texts have a different wording.

Nothing else you reference demands a third person. In fact, most bolster my position.

And, isn't your claim that "God is 3 persons?" That defeats your own argument about pagan deities.

You neglected to include what this "third state" of God is. The Holy Spirit is a Spirit, Jesus is flesh and the Father is...what?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't say you are "wrong" about what you have said. However, it must be pointed out that the reason those 3,000 and the 5,000 added in chapter 4 were all Jews who had traveled to Jerusalem for the feast of Shavu'ot.

Genesis 1:26 Two is just as much "us" as 3.

1 John 5:7 made its first appearance in the Septuagint. It ONLY appears in Greek texts, not at all in Semitic texts.

Matthew 28:19 suffers from the same problem. Semitic texts have a different wording.

Nothing else you reference demands a third person. In fact, most bolster my position.

And, isn't your claim that "God is 3 persons?" That defeats your own argument about pagan deities.

You neglected to include what this "third state" of God is. The Holy Spirit is a Spirit, Jesus is flesh and the Father is...what?
The chastiser...lol
He is the essence of all things...the seed that was planted in Mary came from His essence.
Edit: He is the Covenant maker, the Law maker....I guess you could say He establishes how man should live and by what means to do it

Reactions: marks

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name [singular in the Greek] of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." - RSV.

(The fact that Matt. 28:19 is considered to be spurious by many scholars - because of both good external and internal evidence - is not the issue here.)

Bible phrases beginning "in the name of..." indicate that the secondary meaning of "authority" or "power" was intended by the Bible writer. - p. 772, W.E. Vine, An Expository Dictionary of the New Testament, 1983. Therefore, Matt. 28:19 actually means: "baptizing them in recognition of the power [or the authority] of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy spirit."

That W. E. Vine specifically includes Matt. 28:19 in this category can be further shown by his statement on p. 772 of his reference work. When discussing the secondary meaning of "name" ("authority," "power") he says that it is used

"in recognition of the authority of (sometimes combined with the thought of relying on or resting on), Matt. 18:20; cp. 28:19; Acts 8:16...."

A.T. Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol. 1, p. 245, makes the same admission when discussing Matt. 28:19.

The fact that "name" is singular at Matt. 28:19 is only further proof that "authority" or "power" was meant and not a personal name. If more than one person is involved, then the plural "names" would be used (compare Rev. 21:12). Even trinitarians admit that their God is composed of 3 separate persons. And each one of those "persons" has his own personal name (except, as we have seen, the holy spirit really does not)! Therefore, if personal names were intended here for these three different "persons," the plural "names" would have been used in this scripture.

Since it clearly means "in recognition of the power, or authority of," it is perfectly correct to use "name" in the singular. In fact, it must be used that way. We even recognize this in our own language today. We say, for example, "I did it in the name [singular] of love, humanity, and justice."

There is a famous statement in United States history that perfectly illustrates this use of the singular "name" when it is being used to mean "in recognition of power or authority." Ethan Allen, writing about his capture of Fort Ticonderoga in 1775, quoted the words he spoke when the British commander of that fort asked him by what authority Allen had captured it.
Ethan Allen replied:

"In the name [singular] of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress." - p. 100, A Book About American History, Stimpson, Fawcett Publ., 1962 printing. (Also see Rebels and Redcoats, p. 54, Scheer and Rankin, Mentor Books, 1959 printing; and p. 167, Vol. 1, Universal Standard Encyclopedia, the 1955 abridgment of the New Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia.)

How ludicrous it would be to conclude that Allen really meant that Jehovah and the Continental Congress had the same personal name and were both equally God!

If Jesus were really saying that Jehovah, Jesus, and the holy spirit had personal names and these names must be used during baptism, he would have used the plural word "names" at Matt. 28:19. And we would see the Father's personal name ("Jehovah" - Is. 63:16; 64:8 - Ps. 83:18 and Luke 1:32 - Exodus 3:15 and Acts 3:13) and the Son's personal name ("Jesus" - Luke 1:31, 32) and the holy spirit's personal name ("?") all being used in Christian baptism ceremonies for the past 1900 years.

Honestly now, how many religions actually use the personal names "Jehovah," "Jesus," and "(??)" when baptizing? - ("We baptize you in the names of 'Jehovah,' 'Jesus,' and '???'.") Or, since a few anti-Watchtower trinitarians even claim that the singular "name" at Matt. 28:19 is really "Jehovah," how many religions really use the personal name "Jehovah" (or "Yehowah" or "Yahweh") when baptizing? ("We baptize you in Jehovah's name.") Any church that does not do so, must be admitting, in effect, that "name" in this scripture does not mean personal name!

In spite of the extreme weakness of the trinitarian "evidence" for Matt. 28:19, it is nearly always cited by trinitarians because, incredibly poor as it is, it is one of their very best trinitarian "proofs"! And it is generally hailed by trinitarians as the best evidence for the deity of the holy spirit! This certainly shows how extremely weak the scriptural evidence is for a trinity!

Reactions: DavidB

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name [singular in the Greek] of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." - RSV.

(The fact that Matt. 28:19 is considered to be spurious by many scholars - because of both good external and internal evidence - is not the issue here.)

Bible phrases beginning "in the name of..." indicate that the secondary meaning of "authority" or "power" was intended by the Bible writer. - p. 772, W.E. Vine, An Expository Dictionary of the New Testament, 1983. Therefore, Matt. 28:19 actually means: "baptizing them in recognition of the power [or the authority] of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy spirit."

That W. E. Vine specifically includes Matt. 28:19 in this category can be further shown by his statement on p. 772 of his reference work. When discussing the secondary meaning of "name" ("authority," "power") he says that it is used

"in recognition of the authority of (sometimes combined with the thought of relying on or resting on), Matt. 18:20; cp. 28:19; Acts 8:16...."

A.T. Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol. 1, p. 245, makes the same admission when discussing Matt. 28:19.

The fact that "name" is singular at Matt. 28:19 is only further proof that "authority" or "power" was meant and not a personal name. If more than one person is involved, then the plural "names" would be used (compare Rev. 21:12). Even trinitarians admit that their God is composed of 3 separate persons. And each one of those "persons" has his own personal name (except, as we have seen, the holy spirit really does not)! Therefore, if personal names were intended here for these three different "persons," the plural "names" would have been used in this scripture.

Since it clearly means "in recognition of the power, or authority of," it is perfectly correct to use "name" in the singular. In fact, it must be used that way. We even recognize this in our own language today. We say, for example, "I did it in the name [singular] of love, humanity, and justice."

There is a famous statement in United States history that perfectly illustrates this use of the singular "name" when it is being used to mean "in recognition of power or authority." Ethan Allen, writing about his capture of Fort Ticonderoga in 1775, quoted the words he spoke when the British commander of that fort asked him by what authority Allen had captured it.
Ethan Allen replied:

"In the name [singular] of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress." - p. 100, A Book About American History, Stimpson, Fawcett Publ., 1962 printing. (Also see Rebels and Redcoats, p. 54, Scheer and Rankin, Mentor Books, 1959 printing; and p. 167, Vol. 1, Universal Standard Encyclopedia, the 1955 abridgment of the New Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia.)

How ludicrous it would be to conclude that Allen really meant that Jehovah and the Continental Congress had the same personal name and were both equally God!

If Jesus were really saying that Jehovah, Jesus, and the holy spirit had personal names and these names must be used during baptism, he would have used the plural word "names" at Matt. 28:19. And we would see the Father's personal name ("Jehovah" - Is. 63:16; 64:8 - Ps. 83:18 and Luke 1:32 - Exodus 3:15 and Acts 3:13) and the Son's personal name ("Jesus" - Luke 1:31, 32) and the holy spirit's personal name ("?") all being used in Christian baptism ceremonies for the past 1900 years.

Honestly now, how many religions actually use the personal names "Jehovah," "Jesus," and "(??)" when baptizing? - ("We baptize you in the names of 'Jehovah,' 'Jesus,' and '???'.") Or, since a few anti-Watchtower trinitarians even claim that the singular "name" at Matt. 28:19 is really "Jehovah," how many religions really use the personal name "Jehovah" (or "Yehowah" or "Yahweh") when baptizing? ("We baptize you in Jehovah's name.") Any church that does not do so, must be admitting, in effect, that "name" in this scripture does not mean personal name!

In spite of the extreme weakness of the trinitarian "evidence" for Matt. 28:19, it is nearly always cited by trinitarians because, incredibly poor as it is, it is one of their very best trinitarian "proofs"! And it is generally hailed by trinitarians as the best evidence for the deity of the holy spirit! This certainly shows how extremely weak the scriptural evidence is for a trinity!
What is impossible with God? We are also triune beings...even the science of medicine has determined that in order to treat a person they must address the "whole" being....meaning to achieve ultimate health the treatment must include 1. The body..2. The mind...and 3. The spirit.
If you only treat the physical condition and the mental state is ill then the physical condition which you treated is just like putting a bandaid on the problem. Many health issues arise out of a person's mental condition....
Then the spiritual condition also must be resolved....when a person is in conflict with their beliefs they become affected mentally and emotionally which in turn affects the body.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The chastiser...lol
He is the essence of all things...the seed that was planted in Mary came from His essence.
Edit: He is the Covenant maker, the Law maker....I guess you could say He establishes how man should live and by what means to do it
"He is the essence of all things...the seed that was planted in Mary came from His essence," is just Christianese slogans. It has no real meaning. Is "essence" the third state?

You are right that the Law establishes how we are to live. It's too bad that Christianity does its best to ignore it.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Holy Spirit is a third person, it would be rude of Paul to ignore hi

Paul was NEVER rude at all! You just don't read all Scripture except those you want to post in post #28 [which are true] to suite your agenda and to prove the Holy Spirit is NOT the third person in the Godhead.

Well, read and believe!.... 2 Corinthians 13:14:
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen

Is the above Scripture true or false?

To God Be The Glory