One and Triune God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come to the light.
Any comment on John's stated purpose for writing his Gospel?

John 20:31,

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Why do you suppose John didn't say, "that ye might believe that Jesus is God" if that's what he meant? Is John playing word games? I don't think so, but I guess a lot of folks do. I just think it means Jesus was anointed by God. Hmmm...I wonder where I got that idea. Oh, wait, I do know; John told me so.

Acts 10:38,

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Why didn't Luke say Jesus was God instead of saying God was with him? I mean, God was with God? That's kind of weird. In any other communication, someone being with someone is clearly talking about two people. I don't understand why so many Christians abandon the normal meaning of words when it comes to the scriptures. Maybe God's not sure what words mean? He doesn't even know that a son can in nowise be his own father? And I'm the one who disrespects God's word! I'm thinking something is rotten in Bibleville.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The New World Translation (NWT) is produced by the Watch Tower Society, the parent organization of the Jehovah’s Witnesses (JWs). The New Testament (or “Christian Greek Scriptures,” as they call it) was first produced in 1950, followed by the Old Testament (“Hebrew Scriptures”), produced progressively in five volumes from 1953-1960. Modern versions of the NWT contain the entire Bible in one volume.

The NWT is a travesty of the Scriptures for two main reasons:

First, of the five men who comprised the translation committee–Nathan Knorr, Fred Franz, Albert Schroeder, George Gangas, and Milton Henschel–Franz is the only one who had any knowledge at all of the biblical languages. Franz studied Greek for only two years (not biblical Greek, though), and he was allegedly self-taught in Hebrew. The other four men completely lack any credentials that would qualify them as competent biblical scholars.

Second, the text of the NWT is distorted and twisted in a manner to suit the erroneous beliefs of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Numerous examples could be cited. For instance, John 1:1, in the NWT, reads that the Word was ” a god” (rather than “God”) because JWs deny the divinity of Christ. Similarly, in Colossians 1:15-20, the NWT inserts the word “other” into the text four times because JWs believe that Christ was created. Also, in Matthew 26:26, the NWT reads “this means my body” (rather than “this is my body”) because JWs deny the Real Presence.

Reputable Catholic and Protestant biblical scholars alike reject the NWT as being biased, unreliable, and unscholarly. People who open their doors to the JWs ought to be warned that the NWT is not a safe or reliable translation of God’s Word.

further reading

Reactions: michaelvpardo

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go for it! It's not as though nobody else has ever tried to shut me down, and yet I'm still here. :)
I'm not trying to "shut you down".
I am merely exposing your anti-Biblical nonsense.

I have NO doubt that you will be here again spewing your falsehoods - and I will be right there to expose them . . .

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe we can talk face to face with our new bodies (Phil 3;21) in paradise! I'll look for you. :)

That would be wonderful to get to know you but alas! the former things are passed away and remembered no more, even our loved ones will have been forgotten and erased from our memories when we get to heaven, especially if they didn't make it would be very, very sad indeed, but I thank God took care of it!

You portray yourself as if not knowing Scripture nor about the things of God..

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any comment on John's stated purpose for writing his Gospel?

John 20:31,

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Why do you suppose John didn't say, "that ye might believe that Jesus is God" if that's what he meant? Is John playing word games? I don't think so, but I guess a lot of folks do. I just think it means Jesus was anointed by God. Hmmm...I wonder where I got that idea. Oh, wait, I do know; John told me so.

Acts 10:38,

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Why didn't Luke say Jesus was God instead of saying God was with him? I mean, God was with God? That's kind of weird. In any other communication, someone being with someone is clearly talking about two people. I don't understand why so many Christians abandon the normal meaning of words when it comes to the scriptures. Maybe God's not sure what words mean? He doesn't even know that a son can in nowise be his own father? And I'm the one who disrespects God's word! I'm thinking something is rotten in Bibleville.
Come to the light, Jesus is LORD, God of gods, King of kings, the incarnation of the invisible immortal God, and Creator of all things.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be wonderful to get to know you but alas! the former things are passed away and remembered no more, even our loved ones will have been forgotten and erased from our minds when we get to heaven, especially if they didn't make it would be very, very sad indeed, but I thank God took care of it!

You display yourself as if not knowing Scripture and about the things of God..

To God Be The Glory
Rev 21:4,

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
This tells us exactly what the former things are, i.e., no more tears, death, sorrow, crying, or pain.

The Apostles knew who Jesus was in his new body. Why wouldn't I know you in your new body?

You are at least partially right about my knowledge of the scriptures. I don't know it all. However, I can tell the difference between a father and a son. I also know that one is not three and visa versa. I also understand the difference between "Son of God" and "God the Son," the former found about 35 times, the latter 0 times.

I suspect you've not given more than 10 seconds in consideration of all I've written. So you really don't have any idea of the scope of my scriptural knowledge. That's OK though, I still love you as a brother! :)

God bless.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come to the light, Jesus is LORD, God of gods, King of kings, the incarnation of the invisible immortal God, and Creator of all things.
Well, I see that Jesus is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. That's in Rev 17:14.

I also see all things created THROUGH Jesus.

Eph 3:9,

And to make all [men] see what [is] the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
"by" is Greek "dia" and indicates agency or something going through something else, in this case, God going through Jesus to accomplish His will. Jesus was God's perfect agent on the earth, but as 1 Cor 8:6 says, "...to us there is but ONE God, the FATHER..." Could that be why the scriptures never mention a "God the Son?" I think so.

Here's Strong's Concordance's listing for "dia:"

G1223 διά dia (d̮iy-a') prep.
δι- di- (d̮iy-) [shortened prefix]
1. through.
2. throughout.
3. on account of (that thing).
4. (of time) after (i.e. through the fullness of or completion of).
5. (as a prefix) thorough, thoroughly.
Suffice it to say, it would be odd indeed to say God went through God to do anything. That's a mental disconnect.

In 2 Timothy 2:15 we are told to study the scriptures. I don't see any exhortation to study anything else. There's nothing to tell us to study the Church Fathers or the Catechism. Both of those very often contradict the scriptures. I know because I went to Catholic school for 12 years, one hour of religion, 5 days a week. I know their doctrine (well, I probably forgot most to be honest) and it's not the same as the scriptures. I find it noteworthy that during all those hours of religion we never once went to the Bible. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a Bible in the classroom.

But no matter what, I thank God for your life and your love for Him. This world needs all the Christians we can get.

God bless

Last edited:
Reactions: tigger 2

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I see that Jesus is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. That's in Rev 17:14.

I also see all things created THROUGH Jesus.

Eph 3:9,

And to make all [men] see what [is] the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
"by" is Greek "dia" and indicates agency or something going through something else, in this case, God going through Jesus to accomplish His will. Jesus was God's perfect agent on the earth, but as 1 Cor 8:6 says, "...to us there is but ONE God, the FATHER..." Could that be why the scriptures never mention a "God the Son?" I think so.

Here's Strong's Concordance's listing for "dia:"

G1223 διά dia (d̮iy-a') prep.
δι- di- (d̮iy-) [shortened prefix]
1. through.
2. throughout.
3. on account of (that thing).
4. (of time) after (i.e. through the fullness of or completion of).
5. (as a prefix) thorough, thoroughly.
Suffice it to say, it would be odd indeed to say God went through God to do anything. That's a mental disconnect.

In 2 Timothy 2:15 we are told to study the scriptures. I don't see any exhortation to study anything else. There's nothing to tell us to study the Church Fathers or the Catechism. Both of those very often contradict the scriptures. I know because I went to Catholic school for 12 years, one hour of religion, 5 days a week. I know their doctrine (well, I probably forgot most to be honest) and it's not the same as the scriptures. I find it noteworthy that during all those hours of religion we never once went to the Bible. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a Bible in the classroom.

But no matter what, I thank God for your life and your love for Him. This world needs all the Christians we can get.

God bless
Come out of the kingdom of darkness. Believe the LORD, Jesus the Christ and know eternal life.

Reactions: JunChosen

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come out of the kingdom of darkness. Believe the LORD, Jesus the Christ and know eternal life.
Yes, I understand, but any comment on the actual material in the post?

Does Ephesians 3:19 say God worked through Jesus, or does it say God did the work Himself?

Does 2 Timothy 2:15 tell us to study the Church Fathers and Catechism, or does it say to study the scriptures?

Just telling me to come out of the darkness does not address those two scriptures, thus not increasing my understanding. But showing me where I'm misquoting scriptures would be most helpful. I would think God would inspire you to make any corrections to my quotations if they are wrong. That way, I'd actually benefit from your post.

God bless

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
W

In 2 Timothy 2:15 we are told to study the scriptures. I don't see any exhortation to study anything else.
Do you at least read the news and the weather forecast??? How about traffic signs???
There's nothing to tell us to study the Church Fathers or the Catechism.
This is nothing more than intellectual suicide.
Both of those very often contradict the scriptures.
Always asserted but never proven.
I know because I went to Catholic school for 12 years, one hour of religion, 5 days a week. I know their doctrine (well, I probably forgot most to be honest) and it's not the same as the scriptures.
There is nothing in the scriptures that says all authentic beliefs and practices must be explicitly found in scripture. That is a man made tradition that is nowhere to be found in the scriptures. The scriptures are the fruit of the Church, not the other way around. That's why "Bible-based-church" is so silly.
is-your-church-to-ma-based-on-the-bible-my-1568468.png

Private study of the scriptures is good, but that doesn't mean PUBLIC LITURGY is worthless.
I find it noteworthy that during all those hours of religion we never once went to the Bible. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a Bible in the classroom.
You never went to Mass? There is more "Bible" in one Mass than there is in a month of Protestant services. You exhibit evidence that you were a Catholic by default, and not by practice. You didn't fall in love. Don't blame schools and catechisms for your lack of faith. You probably left the Church as a teenager when you knew everything. It's time to grow up. You sold a rich heritage for a bowl of soup. Genesis 25:34

The FAMILY is the PRIMARY educator in matters of faith. Schools and catechisms are SECONDARY. When parents are weak in their faith, the children often leave.

There are indeed plenty of people who call themselves Catholic, but who refuse to believe the Church’s teachings, refuse to obey its precepts, and refuse to live the life it calls them to live. Not surprisingly, these people aren’t magically converted into living saints just by walking through the Church door. So, if you want to look for fruit, be sure you look on the tree. You can’t expect to find fruit on the dried-up branches that have severed themselves from the tree, and that are strewn all about it. I’ll be the first to admit that the Catholic faith doesn’t work if you don’t practice it. It doesn’t work by osmosis, or by genetics, or by proximity. You actually have to believe it, and live it. You have to have a living relationship with the Lord Jesus in order to bear fruit, and many “Catholics” have rejected that relationship, despite being given every opportunity to embrace it.
For Catholics: How Can Catholicism Be True When Catholics Are So Dead?

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you at least read the news and the weather forecast??? How about traffic signs??? This is nothing more than intellectual suicide. Always asserted but never proven. There is nothing in the scriptures that says all authentic beliefs and practices must be explicitly found in scripture.That is a man made tradition that is nowhere to be found in the scriptures. The scriptures are the fruit of the Church, not the other way around. That's why "Bible-based-church" is so silly. You never went to Mass? There is more "Bible" in one Mass than there is in a month of Protestant services. You exhibit evidence that you were a Catholic by default, and not by practice. You didn't fall in love.
The FAMILY is the PRIMARY educator in matters of faith. Schools and catechisms are SECONDARY. When parents are weak in their faith, the children don't stay.
There are indeed plenty of people who call themselves Catholic, but who refuse to believe the Church’s teachings, refuse to obey its precepts, and refuse to live the life it calls them to live. Not surprisingly, these people aren’t magically converted into living saints just by walking through the Church door. So, if you want to look for fruit, be sure you look on the tree. You can’t expect to find fruit on the dried-up branches that have severed themselves from the tree, and that are strewn all about it. I’ll be the first to admit that the Catholic faith doesn’t work if you don’t practice it. It doesn’t work by osmosis, or by genetics, or by proximity. You actually have to believe it, and live it. You have to have a living relationship with the Lord Jesus in order to bear fruit, and many “Catholics” have rejected that relationship, despite being given every opportunity to embrace it.
For Catholics: How Can Catholicism Be True When Catholics Are So Dead?
First of all, I do not mean to disparage Roman Catholics. I wouldn't dare guess who is God's child and who is not. That is up to God. I love all Christians, regardless of denomination. Nobody, Catholic or Protestant, can go beyond what they are taught. That much I understand. An institution is one thing and the members of that institution is another thing. It is the institution I find to be in error. In any case, if I've offended you, please accept my apology and forgive me as Jesus has forgiven both of us.

If Jesus had said to search the Church Fathers or the Catechism to find out who Jesus is I would most certainly do so. However, he said to search the scriptures (John 5:39). I'll take his word for it and refrain from searching anywhere else. I won't search the the Church Fathers nor the Cataclysm any more than I'll search the Koran, the Baghavad Gita, or the Tibetan Book of the Dead to learn about my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

You mention fruit and a living relationship with Jesus. I may be wrong, but you seem to suggest I have neither. Not knowing me or how I live, how would you know anything about my fruit or my relationship status with Jesus? I know nothing of yours, but instead of assuming you have none, I assume you do and I will do that until I'm proven wrong. Not that that makes me better than you. We are all nothing without Jesus and everything with him. Jesus is the great equalizer in that regard.

God bless.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First of all, I do not mean to disparage Roman Catholics. I wouldn't dare guess who is God's child and who is not. That is up to God. I love all Christians, regardless of denomination. Nobody, Catholic or Protestant, can go beyond what they are taught. That much I understand. An institution is one thing and the members of that institution is another thing. It is the institution I find to be in error. In any case, if I've offended you, please accept my apology and forgive me as Jesus has forgiven both of us.
Apology accepted. But the anti-institution mentality the predominates this forum is unbiblical. The Seat of Moses was an institution (Magisterium) The Council of Jerusalem (Magisterium) was an institution. The canonization of the books of the Bible was done by an institution. (Magisterium) The Nicene Creed, an accepted standard for this forum, was ratified and made binding to all Christians, by an institution. No institution, no Bible; it's really that simple.

If Jesus had said to search the Church Fathers or the Catechism to find out who Jesus is I would most certainly do so.
Here's why this statement is so annoying. There were no Church Fathers when Jesus walked the earth, and no catechisms either. The oldest catechism is Didache, going back to 90 A.D. but even that is dismissed or ignored because there is nothing "Protestant" about it.
However, he said to search the scriptures (John 5:39). I'll take his word for it and refrain from searching anywhere else. I won't search the the Church Fathers nor the Cataclysm any more than I'll search the Koran, the Baghavad Gita, or the Tibetan Book of the Dead to learn about my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Again, you are being ridiculous. This is a cheap dig.

You mention fruit and a living relationship with Jesus. I may be wrong, but you seem to suggest I have neither.
No, I am suggesting that that is what Catholics are supposed to have, contrary to false caricatures so popular in this forum.
Not knowing me or how I live, how would you know anything about my fruit or my relationship status with Jesus? I know nothing of yours, but instead of assuming you have none, I assume you do and I will do that until I'm proven wrong. Not that that makes me better than you. We are all nothing without Jesus and everything with him. Jesus is the great equalizer in that regard.
Agreed. I apologize if I have offended you. But your distain for the Early Church Fathers is self contradictory because it was some the Early Church Fathers that proved inspiration and canonization of the Holy Books, and defended the Trinity from attacks by heretics. The Bible doesn't give a list of books that belong in it, one must honestly examine how they got there. FACTS, not Bible origin fantasies. I notice you never name any particular Church Father as allegedly violating Scripture, which is a dishonest generalization.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Ancient Baptists" and Other Myths
Fr. Hugh Barbour, O.Praem.

Nicea, August 24, A.D. 325, 7:41 p.m. "That was powerful preaching, Brother Athanasius. Powerful! Amen! I want to invite any of you folks in the back to approach the altar here and receive the Lord into your hearts. Just come on up. We've got brothers and sisters up here who can lead you through the Sinner's Prayer. Amen! And as this Council of Nicea comes to an end, I want to remind Brother Eusebius to bring the grape juice for tomorrow's closing communion service . . ."

Ah yes, the Baptists at the Council of Nicea. Sound rather silly? It certainly does. And yet, there are those who claim the Church of Nicea was more Protestant in belief and practice than Catholic. I recently read an article in The Christian Research Journal, written by a Reformed Baptist apologist, who argued this very point. No, I'm not making this up. The article, "What Really Happened at Nicea?" actually claimed the Fathers of the Council were essentially Evangelical Protestants.

As a trained patristics scholar, I always feel a great deal of sadness and frustration when I encounter shoddy historical "scholarship," whether it be in the pages of The Watchtower, a digest of Mormon "archaeology," or a popular and usually well-produced Evangelical Protestant apologetics journal. But this article was so error-laden, so amateurishly "researched," and so filled with historical and theological fallacies, that I simply couldn't let it stand without response.

Read more: https://www.catholicfidelity.com/apologetics-topics/other-religions/protestanism/baptists-at-nicea-by-fr-hugh-barbour-o-praem/

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are at least partially right about my knowledge of the scriptures. I don't know it all. However, I can tell the difference between a father and a son. I also know that one is not three and visa versa. I also understand the difference between "Son of God" and "God the Son," the former found about 35 times, the latter 0 times.
Actually - you don't.
Otherwise - you'd be able to give me a clear answer to the following - which you failed to do in our last debate . . .

The Bible CLEARLY says that GOD ius speaking here:
Rev. 1:8
I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

A few chappters later - the Bible CLEARLY says that JESUS is speaking in the following verse:
Rev. 22:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

2 distinct persons - each calling themselves, "The Alpha and the Omega."
How
is this possible if they are NOT both God?

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually - you don't.
Otherwise - you'd be able to give me a clear answer to the following - which you failed to do in our last debate . . .

I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

A few chappters later - the Bible CLEARLY says that JESUS is speaking in the following verse:
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

How

Alpha and Omega and the speaker confusion trick

To use the “speaker confusion trick” to “prove” that John is the Lord Almighty we would point to the fact that John was definitely speaking at Rev. 1:7, and then (by using our own punctuation or the KJV’s lack of quotation marks) we merely say that John continued speaking in Rev. 1:8 and identified himself as “the Lord,” “Alpha and Omega,” and “the Almighty”!! Finally we would point to Rev. 1:9 and say that John continues speaking and positively identifies himself as “John, also” or, in other words, “John, in addition to [his titles of Rev. 1:8]”!!

So if modern Bible translators belonged to (or at least worked for) churches that taught that John was equally God (“Johnitarians”?), they would simply have punctuated this scripture in a way that showed that. For example they might put quotation marks starting at verse 8 and ending after verse 9.

There is another thing that helps show the intended meaning here. Although it is very common that the words of one speaker slide right into those of another speaker (e.g., Is. 10:4, 7), it also happens that sometimes the writer identifies the new speaker. As we see in Daniel, for example, Daniel nearly always identifies himself as the new speaker when he uses the words “I, Daniel” whenever it might be confusing to the reader (especially after a different person has been speaking) - Dan. 7:15, 28; 8:15, 27; 12:5. If we then examine Revelation (which is recognized as being similar to, patterned after, and frequently referring to, the Book of Daniel), we find that John also uses this technique. “I, John” identifies a new speaker in every instance John uses it: Rev. 1:9; 22:8. So Rev. 1:9 is merely the statement of a new speaker.

Is Jesus ‘Alpha and Omega’ in Rev. 22?

Now look again at Rev. 22:8-16. (The SC trick doesn’t work nearly as well here, but some trinitarians insist on using it anyway.) John is identified as the speaker in 22:8. The angel speaks in verse 9). The angel apparently continues speaking in 10). The angel may be still speaking in 11) --- or it could be John or even someone else (as implied in verse 10 in the NAB,1970 ed.).

Now is the angel still speaking in 12) or is it God, or is it Jesus, or even John? There is simply no way of telling who the speaker is from any of the early Bible manuscripts. It’s entirely a matter of translator’s choice. Some translators have decided it is the angel who continues to speak, and they punctuate it accordingly. So the JB, and NJB use quotation marks to show that these are all words spoken by the angel.

However, the RSV, NRSV, NASB, NEB, REB, NKJV, NAB (1991 ed.), ESV, ISV, NLT, 21st Century King James Version, Third Millenium Bible, and TEV show by their use of quotation marks that someone else is now speaking in verse 12. Most Bibles indicate that the person who spoke verse 12 (whether God, angel, Jesus, or John) also spoke verse 13 (“I am Alpha and Omega”).

Now the big question is: Is it clear that the speaker(s) of verses 12 and 13 continues to speak? Some Bibles indicate this. But other respected trinitarian translations do not!

The RSV, NRSV, NASB, NEB, REB, NKJV, NAB (1991 ed.), ESV, ISV, NLT, 21st Century King James Version, Third Millennium Bible, and TEV show (by quotation marks and indenting) that Rev. 22:14 and 15 are not the words of the speaker of verses 12 and 13 but are John’s words.

(The Jerusalem Bible and the NJB show us that the angel spoke all the words from verse 10 through verse 15.) Then they show Jesus as a new speaker beginning to speak in verse 16.

So, if you insist that the person speaking just before verse 16 is the same person who is speaking in verse 16, then, according to the trinitarian RSV, NRSV, NASB, NEB, REB, NKJV, NAB (1991 ed.), ESV, ISV, NLT, 21st Century King James Version, Third Millennium Bible, and TEV, you are saying John is Jesus!!! (According to the JB and NJB you would be insisting that the angel is Jesus!)

And, just as the use of “I, John” indicated a new speaker in Revelation, so does the only other such usage in that same book. Yes, Rev. 22:16 - “I, Jesus” also introduces a new speaker. This means, of course, that the previous statement (“I am the Alpha and Omega”) was made by someone else!

Even the KJV translators have shown by their use of the word “his” in verse 14 that they didn’t mean that Jesus was the same speaker as the Alpha and Omega. The speaker of verse 13 is Almighty God. The comment in verse 14 of these Bibles (as literally translated from the Received Text) explains the importance of doing “His Commandments” (not “My Commandments”)! Therefore the speaker of verse 14 is obviously not God as clearly stated by those Bibles which were translated from the Received Text, e.g., KJV; NKJV; KJIIV; MKJV; Young’s Literal Translation; Webster Bible (by Noah Webster); and Revised Webster Bible. Lamsa’s translation (Holy Bible From the Ancient Eastern Text) also uses “him.“

So we can easily see that there is no reason to say Jesus spoke the words recorded at Rev. 22:13 (or the above-named trinitarian Bibles would surely have so translated it!) and, in fact, the context really identifies the speaker as being the same person who spoke at Rev. 1:8, God Almighty, Jehovah, the Father.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidB

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually - you don't.

How
Well, you yourself said, "2 distinct persons," which I've been saying all along.

"The Alpha and the Omega" are titles. The title "Lord" is also applied to both God and Jesus as well as several humans.

Then there is this: if you look carefully at Revelation 22 you will see that is was actually an angel who uttered the words, "I am the Alpha and the Omega." Look at verses 6 and 8.

"Jesus" is the Greek form for "Yeshuwa." There are no less than 10 different people called "Yeshuwa" in the Hebrew language. There is also a place called by that name (To be honest, I forget where, but it can be found if you look). I don't know your name, but undoubtedly there are other people called by that name. Still, none of them are actually you.

Besides that, have you seen any of my posts where I enumerated many verses that would make it quite impossible for Jesus to be God?
  • Jesus was tempted. God can not be tempted.
  • God knew things Jesus didn't know.
  • Jesus has the same God and Father as we have.
  • God is the head of Jesus.
  • Jesus will be subject to God in the end.
  • God is greater than Jesus.
  • God gave Jesus power. God just has power. Nobody gave it to Him.
There are many more I quoted, but 1 Corinthians says it like nothing else;

1Cor 8:6,

But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.​

So even if there was a God the Son in the scriptures, he still wouldn't be the one true God. Of course there is no such phrase as "God the Son" in the scriptures. There is however many places where Jesus is called "The Son of God." A son can in no wise be his own father. A son and his father are not the same person. At least not if words have any meaning. If words don't have meaning we are left with nothing. Anybody could make any claim they dreamed up. God could be a Martian which I think is pretty close to what the Urantia claims.

If both God and Jesus being called "The Alpha and Omega" makes them one and the same person, we need to make all the verses I quoted fit with that. I don't see how that could possibly be done.

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apology accepted. But the anti-institution mentality the predominates this forum is unbiblical. The Seat of Moses was an institution (Magisterium) The Council of Jerusalem (Magisterium) was an institution. The canonization of the books of the Bible was done by an institution. (Magisterium) The Nicene Creed, an accepted standard for this forum, was ratified and made binding to all Christians, by an institution. No institution, no Bible; it's really that simple
Just because something is an institution does not make it Biblical. We got God's word through various men who God inspired to write (2 Tim 3:16). God did not need an institution to communicate His words any more than your or I need am institution to communicate the words we speak.

Here's why this statement is so annoying. There were no Church Fathers when Jesus walked the earth, and no catechisms either. The oldest catechism is Didache, going back to 90 A.D. but even that is dismissed or ignored because there is nothing "Protestant" about it. Again, you are being ridiculous. This is a cheap dig.
The Koran didn't exist when Jesus walked the earth either. Are we therefore bound to include it in defining our rule of faith and practice? I would call that a fact, not a dig.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm not sure abut that. Obviously both John and Jesus had a mother. But I do know whatever it says, it can't contradict the many crystal clear verses that would make it quite impossible for Jesus to be God. It certainly does not say in clear cut terms that Jesus is God.
Hi Rich,
Jesus couldn't just tell them He is God. The Jews got upset about making Himself equal with God.

'born of woman ,is euphemism for being a child of Eve. Mother of all the living.

Jesus says John is the greatest man descended from Adam and Eve

That is Jesus revealing that Adam isn't His generator.

How is this resolved ?
A John is greater than Jesus.
B. Jesus did not descend from Adam.
There what say you Rich? A or B?'

Jesus is teaching about Adam's generation vs His.

Last edited:

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God did not need an institution to communicate His words any more than your or I believed need am institution to communicate the words we speak.
Without an institution how could they complete the process of collecting and authorizing the books that would be canonized? With Churches sprouting in cities all over how do you suppose the faithfuls needs would be taken care of? Another bad word ' institution '.