Oneness with God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But I don't believe in leaving the Bible behind once we've met the Author.

I think you are not seeing the argument correctly. I may spend more time in the word than almost anybody...reading in 3 languages...learning to be biblically conversant in these. Most people only learn the bible in their own mother tongue.

So I am a great respecter of the words from God. It's just that the actual Person of God is even bigger than that. So then to limit God to a book is doing God a great disservice (I'm sure you don't really read my posts...but just react against them)

When the Lord is there...do I tell Him I'm too busy reading the bible so go away?

But we are talking about a situation where people have raised the bible to an idolatry...having no contact whatsoever with the God of the bible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are not seeing the argument correctly. I may spend more time in the word than almost anybody...reading in 3 languages...learning to be biblically conversant in these. Most people only learn the bible in their own mother tongue.

Hi Episkopos,

You may and you may not, but that is not so important to me. The Pharisees of Jesus' day, I feel certain, knew their Bible backwards and forwards while failing to see the most important things. I'm not comparing you to them, just making the example.

It may be that I am misunderstanding your statements. It seems to me that you have been expressing that if something seems to counter Scripture, that I should accept your statements "as is", even to the point that I should not even question. And that to do so puts me as one of these Biblicists, a "Bible idolator", what have you. I'm not even comfortable typing those words!

I'm painfully away of our differences, but I hope you are happily aware of the commonality to what each of us teach. I appreciate that you discussing this with me.

I believe we both very strongly believe, and for good reason, that God has made available to His children the power to live holy lives, that He calls us to live those lives, and that anything else simply falls short. I'm sure you can add more to this.

I do hold tightly to the teaching of the Bible. I believe firmly that truth is simple, and that when understood, can be simply stated. I say that to show you my way.

So I am a great respecter of the words from God. It's just that the actual Person of God is even bigger than that. So then to limit God to a book is doing God a great disservice (I'm sure you don't really read my posts...but just react against them)

Then you would be surprised at the reality.

I think that saying, "limit God to the Bible" does disservice to God, considering that God gave us that Book to reveal Himself to us.

When the Lord is there...do I tell Him I'm too busy reading the bible so go away?

Serious? Don't we receive from God in Scripture? My hope for each of us is that in reading the Bible, that we are being sanctified by it, transformed into the likeness of Jesus. The Lord is always here, is He not?

This is the message I teach to all His children, He will never ever leave us, not for moment, He always loves us, always, and He will never ever forsake us, not in any case.

But we are talking about a situation where people have raised the bible to an idolatry...having no contact whatsoever with the God of the bible.

Do you really feel that this applies to so many on this board?

How do we attain unity? (serious question)

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely!

Nothing that comes from the Spirit of God will ever contradict scripture in any way.

As far as knowing what’s of God and what is not. Scripture says;

Colossians 3:15 (NASB)
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.

“Let the Peace of Christ rule in our hearts”

That word “rule” can also be translated “arbitrate.”

So it can read “let the peace of Christ arbitrate in your heart. “

Or let it be the decider, let it weigh all things. If something upsets the peace of Christ in your heart, doesn’t matter what it is, do something else.

Follow what the peace of Christ in your heart says about all things for the peace of Christ in your heart is Christ in you your hope of glory.

Blessings as you go to God for a confirmation or not.

Much love in Christ, Not me

Hi Not me,

I love the fact that you have an end in mind! Not everyone does you know.

Sounds like we're on the same page here. We take what we know from the Bible and live it, and what we don't yet know, we try to learn, and all the way, we trust God to keep us on the right way, or to get us back to it if we get off into the weeds.

One of the beauties of affliction is that it pushes the envelope on this.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Not me

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will relate one more case...a selected experience that shows God's authority and how the Spirit can speak through a person...not as a gift but as a direct visitation from the Lord.

At that time we had experienced a small revival in our fellowship with people visiting us from all over the world...very international. It was the Lord sending them ...but never at the same time...it was like clockwork...one after the other.

In those days I was the overseer with a brother from Africa helping me as an elder.

We had a young brother staying with us at that time. One night he came knocking at my bedroom door (actually he just knocked and came straight in) It was about 1:30 am. So I got my housecoat on and went to see him in the living room. Now I was still half-asleep...and the brother was relating to me that he couldn't sleep because he had disobeyed the Spirit and needed to talk to me. Just then a huge weight descended on me...crushing me with so much weight I couldn't breathe. It felt like I was under a great weight of water...floating...and yet crushed under what felt like a ton of water. Then a voice came out of me that was NOT my own. A HUGE voice. Like a voice speaking through water....but loud. Meanwhile I couldn't even breathe. There were 4 of us there. My wife was sitting next to me on the carpet.

I can't go into particulars...but there was a rebuke from the Lord to that brother telling him what he needed to do. The brother was on his face but putting up an argument in his defense. We couldn't believe that. A few minutes later the weight lifted from me as if it had never been there. In spite of the distress I was in..I wanted that presence back!!

Later my wife said that as she touched my leg during that episode she felt an electric current go through her entire body. When she let go the electricity would slowly peter out. Then when she placed a hand on me the current would flow again.

I am relating this story to show how I believe the Lord guides His church. Like when the Holy Spirit said...separate for Me Paul and Barnabas. This wasn't a case of a spiritual gift at work....but the Holy Spirit speaking directly in real time.

I pray that this direct authority and guidance would be re-established in the church that is called by His name.

I will not speak of the exercise of the spiritual gifts which are too numerous to name. But I would like to speak of the ongoing presence of God in the light that accompanies a walk in Zion. :)

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Not me,

I love the fact that you have an end in mind! Not everyone does you know.

Sounds like we're on the same page here. We take what we know from the Bible and live it, and what we don't yet know, we try to learn, and all the way, we trust God to keep us on the right way, or to get us back to it if we get off into the weeds.

One of the beauties of affliction is that it pushes the envelope on this.

Much love!
Mark

Such a joy Mark.

May God grant you an increase of Himself in your innermost being.

That today you might know Him a little more than yesterday and tomorrow more still.

Blessings,

Reactions: Helen

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will relate one more case...a selected experience that shows God's authority and how the Spirit can speak through a person...not as a gift but as a direct visitation from the Lord.

At that time we had experienced a small revival in our fellowship with people visiting us from all over the world...very international. It was the Lord sending them ...but never at the same time...it was like clockwork...one after the other.

In those days I was the overseer with a brother from Africa helping me as an elder.

We had a young brother staying with us at that time. One night he came knocking at my bedroom door (actually he just knocked and came straight in) It was about 1:30 am. So I got my housecoat on and went to see him in the living room. Now I was still half-asleep...and the brother was relating to me that he couldn't sleep because he had disobeyed the Spirit and needed to talk to me. Just then a huge weight descended on me...crushing me with so much weight I couldn't breathe. It felt like I was under a great weight of water...floating...and yet crushed under what felt like a ton of water. Then a voice came out of me that was NOT my own. A HUGE voice. Like a voice speaking through water....but loud. Meanwhile I couldn't even breathe. There were 4 of us there. My wife was sitting next to me on the carpet.

I can't go into particulars...but there was a rebuke from the Lord to that brother telling him what he needed to do. The brother was on his face but putting up an argument in his defense. We couldn't believe that. A few minutes later the weight lifted from me as if it had never been there. In spite of the distress I was in..I wanted that presence back!!

Later my wife said that as she touched my leg during that episode she felt an electric current go through her entire body. When she let go the electricity would slowly peter out. Then when she placed a hand on me the current would flow again.

I am relating this story to show how I believe the Lord guides His church. Like when the Holy Spirit said...separate for Me Paul and Barnabas. This wasn't a case of a spiritual gift at work....but the Holy Spirit speaking directly in real time.

I pray that this direct authority and guidance would be re-established in the church that is called by His name.

I will not speak of the exercise of the spiritual gifts which are too numerous to name. But I would like to speak of the ongoing presence of God in the light that accompanies a walk in Zion. :)

I do not think these visitations were from GOD nor one of His angels.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can speak neither good or bad concerning your visions/visitations. Only if they don’t upset the peace of Christ in your heart, I wish you well and all good things in Christ.

Blessings,

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul warns of False Apostles
2 Cor 11:14 "13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ.
14 And No Wonder, for Satan himself-masquerades as an angel of light.

15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness.
Their end will correspond to their actions.…

People need to use spiritual discernment and not look for spiritual experiences or spiritual answers from anywhere, otherwise they might get tricked by a spirit pretending it is the Holy Spirit. We are taught as followers of Lord Jesus Christ to know the authority of the scriptures & compare any spiritual talk by any one or any being against the SCRIPTURES.
We certainly pray as born again Christians, washed in the precious blood of Jesus, that our LORD God & heavenly Father through Jesus Christ our Lord , would grant us heavenly protection always, and that the power, protection, love & blessings of the Lord Jesus Christ to be over us at all times , that we are protected from deceiving spirits or false teachings. In the blessed name of Yeshua, our Lord Jesus. Amen

What does it mean to test the spirits?

Question: "What does it mean to test the spirits?"

Answer:
“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1).

In this verse believers are commanded to “test the spirits to see whether they are from God.” This same command is echoed in other parts of Scripture as well. For example, in 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 we find Paul exhorting the Christians to not “despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.”

These two passages are just a few of the many that warn Christians to test the message that people or spirits proclaim. This is true in all situations but most importantly when a person or spirit is claiming to speak for God. Christians are to be discerning hearers and readers of all messages. The reason for the admonition to “test the spirits” or “test all things” is that there are “many false prophets” or “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that try to lead Christians astray. Sadly, there are many people who claim to speak for God who are presenting a false gospel that is powerless to save. Such errant teaching leaves people with a false hope of salvation and, in a way, inoculates them from the true message. People who are deceived into thinking everything is fine will be more resistant to the truth.

Second Corinthians 11:13-15 warns us that “such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.” So the reason for testing the spirits, for testing all religious teaching, is to see if it is truly from God or if it is a lie from Satan and his servants.

The test is to compare what is being taught with the clear teaching of the Bible. The Bible alone is the Word of God; it alone is inspired and inerrant. Therefore, the way to test the spirits is to see if what is being taught is in line with the clear teaching of Scripture. In Acts 17:10-11 the Berean Jews were commended because, after they heard the teachings of Paul and Silas, they “examined the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.” The Bereans were called “noble” for doing so.

Testing the spirits means that one must know how to “examine the Scriptures.” Rather than accept every teaching, discerning Christians diligently study the Scriptures. Then they know what the Bible says and therefore can “test all things and hold fast to what is true.” In order to do this, a Christian must “be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). The Word of God is to be “a lamp” and “a light” to our path (Psalm 119:105). We must let its light shine on the teachings and doctrines of the day; the Bible alone is the standard by which all truth must be judged.

Recommended Resource: The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare by Chip Ingram

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul warns of False Apostles
2 Cor 11:14 "13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ.
14 And No Wonder, for Satan himself-masquerades as an angel of light.

15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness.
Their end will correspond to their actions.…

People need to use spiritual discernment and not look for spiritual experiences or spiritual answers from anywhere, otherwise they might get tricked by a spirit pretending it is the Holy Spirit. We are taught as followers of Lord Jesus Christ to know the authority of the scriptures & compare any spiritual talk by any one or any being against the SCRIPTURES.
We certainly pray as born again Christians, washed in the precious blood of Jesus, that our LORD God & heavenly Father through Jesus Christ our Lord , would grant us heavenly protection always, and that the power, protection, love & blessings of the Lord Jesus Christ to be over us at all times , that we are protected from deceiving spirits or false teachings. In the blessed name of Yeshua, our Lord Jesus. Amen

Question: "What does it mean to test the spirits?"

Answer:
“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1).

In this verse believers are commanded to “test the spirits to see whether they are from God.” This same command is echoed in other parts of Scripture as well. For example, in 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 we find Paul exhorting the Christians to not “despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.”

These two passages are just a few of the many that warn Christians to test the message that people or spirits proclaim. This is true in all situations but most importantly when a person or spirit is claiming to speak for God. Christians are to be discerning hearers and readers of all messages. The reason for the admonition to “test the spirits” or “test all things” is that there are “many false prophets” or “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that try to lead Christians astray. Sadly, there are many people who claim to speak for God who are presenting a false gospel that is powerless to save. Such errant teaching leaves people with a false hope of salvation and, in a way, inoculates them from the true message. People who are deceived into thinking everything is fine will be more resistant to the truth.

Second Corinthians 11:13-15 warns us that “such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.” So the reason for testing the spirits, for testing all religious teaching, is to see if it is truly from God or if it is a lie from Satan and his servants.

The test is to compare what is being taught with the clear teaching of the Bible. The Bible alone is the Word of God; it alone is inspired and inerrant. Therefore, the way to test the spirits is to see if what is being taught is in line with the clear teaching of Scripture. In Acts 17:10-11 the Berean Jews were commended because, after they heard the teachings of Paul and Silas, they “examined the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.” The Bereans were called “noble” for doing so.

Testing the spirits means that one must know how to “examine the Scriptures.” Rather than accept every teaching, discerning Christians diligently study the Scriptures. Then they know what the Bible says and therefore can “test all things and hold fast to what is true.” In order to do this, a Christian must “be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). The Word of God is to be “a lamp” and “a light” to our path (Psalm 119:105). We must let its light shine on the teachings and doctrines of the day; the Bible alone is the standard by which all truth must be judged.

Recommended Resource: The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare by Chip Ingram

You need some balance in your approach. Fear will dampen love. But love dampens fear. :) I don't have any tirade for you in response since I like a short message.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One time, I was doubting that something I heard was actually God speaking. I told Him unless He showed me it was definitely from Him, I would not tell the person. (I was not really doubting I had heard from God but was rather scared I would look like a fool or be ridiculed). Right after I said I would not tell the person unless He absolutely let me know it was Him, rush hour traffic stopped and the license plate in front of me said: HVN SNT. When I tell the story people scoff at me.

Another time I heard Locutions. Very strange, even felt breath on my ear. That time, there was no doubt, no fear it might not be Him. In fact, it felt and seemed so natural. You would think I'd be scared out of my mind to hear words from outside my ear in a car I was the only one in, but there was no fear and great peace.

I don't seek things like that...they just happen. I think they will happen more often when we trust more radically. Both of those happened right after I met God.

We don't realize that our trust is always being tested, in big ways sometimes but often in very small seeming ways. But when we face these tests and come through them with greater trust, I think we will begin to walk in more power. After all, it says He could not do many miracles there because of their unbelief.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This isn't going to go over well, but since epi has been so brave, I will be too.

God took even my bible from me at one point. Every time I picked it up, I could not understand a thing and it was just a heavy weight to me.

It was very distressing to me. And at the same time He seemed to take the books written by dead saints that I had gotten so much from away from me too. AND at the same time I could no longer sense His presence.

It felt like being thrown into complete darkness and confusion. After a few years of constantly reading my bible and sensing His presence, to have it taken from me was very...distressing. But no matter how many times I tried to pick it up and read again, it was like a closed book to me.

I think this was many faceted. First, I had begun to read the bible to the detriment of an ACTUAL and growing intimacy and relationship with God. And it was the same with the other books I had come to depend on.

Secondly, I was experiencing God in a very base way, a physical way, goosebumps and a feeling of waves washing over me. I took that as meaning my time of reading and communing was fruitful and if I didn't experience His presence in this way, I thought it was all unfruitful.

I still, years later, have a hard time reading my bible a lot of the time. Trying to force the issue does not work. This is why most of the time, I refer to a verse I have read that He recalls to my mind but do not say what book or chapter it is.

Even yesterday, I wanted to compare the gospels and try to see why two of them seem to have a timeline discrepancy as to what happens first or later surrounding..."and after this the heavens will be shaken." I tried to look it up, but it was all a confused gobbledygook, as it often still is when I try to pick it up.

I am used to people not understanding. I mean, I barely understand it. And I'm used to just saying to people, you don't understand - it is GOD doing this. His hand is very heavy on me and I can NOT do what you counsel me to do, it doesn't work to try to force against His hand. In fact, it is impossible to force against what He is doing.

And through all of this, I have come to trust Him MORE, not less. I have come to lean on Him MORE, not less.

All I know is I am waiting for Him. He seems to move so slowly to a person stuck in time. And it seems sometimes it will go on forever this way. And yet, my trust continues to grow and my peace grows more and more. But mostly, when I talk about verses, its because He recalls them to me, not because I look them up.I've learned not to force against whatever it is He's doing to me and just wait.

And even now, when people will come here and tell me its not Gods hand heavy on me but is rather Satan preventing me, I know it isn't so. If it were Satan doing this, such good as has come to my soul would be impossible. I've been through all of the worries - this is spiritual sloth, you are being punished for some sin, you're just being lazy and don't want to read your bible, etc, etc. And now, I just keep waiting and trusting.

Sorry that was so long. It might not be at all relevant to your thread except that I really understood you when you said you could, with great effort, keep moving at your work, but then God was behind. It would be as if Dot had tried to force you to back that truck up by yourself rather than help you. Or it would have been as if you still tried to go to work that day despite the flat tire and the workmen. It would have been kicking against the goads. Or letting other men convince you to keep trying to do so. And now I fear this entire post will sound like utter nonsense to everyone, but there it is.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This isn't going to go over well, but since epi has been so brave, I will be too.

God took even my bible from me at one point. Every time I picked it up, I could not understand a thing and it was just a heavy weight to me.

It was very distressing to me. And at the same time He seemed to take the books written by dead saints that I had gotten so much from away from me too. AND at the same time I could no longer sense His presence.

It felt like being thrown into complete darkness and confusion. After a few years of constantly reading my bible and sensing His presence, to have it taken from me was very...distressing. But no matter how many times I tried to pick it up and read again, it was like a closed book to me.

I think this was many faceted. First, I had begun to read the bible to the detriment of an ACTUAL and growing intimacy and relationship with God. And it was the same with the other books I had come to depend on.

Secondly, I was experiencing God in a very base way, a physical way, goosebumps and a feeling of waves washing over me. I took that as meaning my time of reading and communing was fruitful and if I didn't experience His presence in this way, I thought it was all unfruitful.

I still, years later, have a hard time reading my bible a lot of the time. Trying to force the issue does not work. This is why most of the time, I refer to a verse I have read that He recalls to my mind but do not say what book or chapter it is.

Even yesterday, I wanted to compare the gospels and try to see why two of them seem to have a timeline discrepancy as to what happens first or later surrounding..."and after this the heavens will be shaken." I tried to look it up, but it was all a confused gobbledygook, as it often still is when I try to pick it up.

I am used to people not understanding. I mean, I barely understand it. And I'm used to just saying to people, you don't understand - it is GOD doing this. His hand is very heavy on me and I can NOT do what you counsel me to do, it doesn't work to try to force against His hand. In fact, it is impossible to force against what He is doing.

And through all of this, I have come to trust Him MORE, not less. I have come to lean on Him MORE, not less.

All I know is I am waiting for Him. He seems to move so slowly to a person stuck in time. And it seems sometimes it will go on forever this way. And yet, my trust continues to grow and my peace grows more and more. But mostly, when I talk about verses, its because He recalls them to me, not because I look them up.I've learned not to force against whatever it is He's doing to me and just wait.

And even now, when people will come here and tell me its not Gods hand heavy on me but is rather Satan preventing me, I know it isn't so. If it were Satan doing this, such good as has come to my soul would be impossible. I've been through all of the worries - this is spiritual sloth, you are being punished for some sin, you're just being lazy and don't want to read your bible, etc, etc. And now, I just keep waiting and trusting.

Sorry that was so long. It might not be at all relevant to your thread except that I really understood you when you said you could, with great effort, keep moving at your work, but then God was behind. It would be as if Dot had tried to force you to back that truck up by yourself rather than help you. Or it would have been as if you still tried to go to work that day despite the flat tire and the workmen. It would have been kicking against the goads. Or letting other men convince you to keep trying to do so. And now I fear this entire post will sound like utter nonsense to everyone, but there it is.

Thanks for this. You are so right about not forcing the issue. We can come at the things of God all wrong...and reading the bible can for some be very unproductive....or worse. It depends on our attitude. Many people feed the wrong part...their over-active mind. It never gets to the heart. And then there is peer pressure as you say....as in...you MUST do this or that.

really?

A relationship is alive and explores more than one facet. It is all over the place. I think a calm stability takes time...and it can't be forced. Until then there is going to be turmoil. There will be times when we need to take a break or fast....even from bible reading. (that will get the Biblicists in a snit for sure)

But the one thing we never take a break from is allowing the love of God penetrate deeply into our soul. Who cares what form that takes. It's about keeping the main thing the main thing. And that takes courage at times. The devil uses people to discourage us so often...especially "believers."....But believers who don't know themselves. They think they know something...but they don't. I never trust men over God's inner impulse. His ways are peaceful and loving. The ways of men are judgmental, fearful, and unsettled.

Continue to be courageous in your walk and let that love shine through! :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I never trust men over God's inner impulse.

Actually I did once...and I got into the deepest trouble for it. It opened up the gateway that led the devil in.

There was a certain brother who tried convincing me that my own inner impulse was wrong. We stayed up all night...until finally I let go of my own convictions. He was a good arguer...saying..how can you always be right? So it was a reverse pride kind of thing. Yes, how could I be always right.

But I forgot that the inner impulse is NOT me. It is the Spirit of God directing me. And I let a smooth tongued salesman (that's what he was) wear me down with false arguments.

Well I paid dearly for it. I was like that young prophet who was not supposed to eat or drink but was seduced into doing so by a false prophet so that he was eaten by a lion. (1 Kings 13).

I was THAT foolish.

The devil tries to make things about us...instead of about Him and HIS faithfulness. He wants us to get our eyes on ourselves...and is very clever in doing so. He uses people..believers....to do his work so often.

As in...did the Lord REALLY say that? And this man was a friend of mine....hence my willingness to hear him out and bend to him.

Never go against your own heart, especially if the Holy Spirit is within you. Why lose your soul?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know...it's almost like...God telling pharoah to let His people go so they could worship Him. And pharoahs response was to load them down even more and to say, you are just lazy and don't want to work, you're lazy and that's why you want to go and worship your God. He thought to take their minds off wanting to go worship God by keeping them too busy to want to. Like...we will distract them from this desire by increasing their distractions...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I did once...and I got into the deepest trouble for it. It opened up the gateway that led the devil in.

There was a certain brother who tried convincing me that my own inner impulse was wrong. We stayed up all night...until finally I let go of my own convictions. He was a good arguer...saying..how can you always be right? So it was a reverse pride kind of thing. Yes, how could I be always right.

But I forgot that the inner impulse is NOT me. It is the Spirit of God directing me. And I let a smooth tongued salesman (that's what he was) wear me down with false arguments.

Well I paid dearly for it. I was like that young prophet who was not supposed to eat or drink but was seduced into doing so by a false prophet so that he was eaten by a lion. (1 Kings 13).

I was THAT foolish.

The devil tries to make things about us...instead of about Him and HIS faithfulness. He wants us to get our eyes on ourselves...and is very clever in doing so. He uses people..believers....to do his work so often.

As in...did the Lord REALLY say that? And this man was a friend of mine....hence my willingness to hear him out and bend to him.

Never go against your own heart, especially if the Holy Spirit is within you. Why lose your soul?

Not knowing the particulars about what he tried to convince you of, I will say that sometimes people try to make everyone else's experience and walk match theirs exactly. I'm not sure they have it in their hearts to harm others but rather don't see that God leads each of us seperately to get us to the same place...a unity of trust, in the Spirit.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why I think it's important to together choose the one who might be of most help to someone as far as spiritual counsel.

For instance, some poor souls have a great trial with all sorts of awful suggestions in their minds and they have a great fear of blaspheming. I do not understand this trial. I am not the one to help them or counsel them. A better person for this would be someone who understands that trial, either because they went through it, or because...they dealt with it enough that they know what counsel would help from past experience of helping others through it. I think my trying to counsel a man spiritually when I don't understand his trial is not good. But I think referring him to someone who I think might understand him is good.

Other people seem to have had such a horrible upbringing that they cannot be dealt with the same as someone who didn't. They need to focus on Gods love for them and not be rushed into mortifications or talk about how He cuts off branches that don't produce fruit. Having been abused or rejected by their earthly parents, carefulness must be around them and the right spiritual helper must be chosen for them, or if not, it is better to leave them alone with God rather than to distress them and cause them to turn away.

Reactions: Acolyte

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now I fear this entire post will sound like utter nonsense to everyone, but there it is.

Not nonesense at all!

No one can judge another man's relationship with God, imho. There are depths to each of us that only our Creator understands, but understand He does. And He sympathizes.

I like to try to stay with the OP theme when I can bring myself to do so, :oops:, this to me is key towards our oneness with God and with each other. God sympathizes with our weakness against temptation, and we should sympathize with each other, as a part of helping each other in meekness.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Other people seem to have had such a horrible upbringing that they cannot be dealt with the same as someone who didn't. They need to focus on Gods love for them and not be rushed into mortifications or talk about how He cuts off branches that don't produce fruit. Having been abused or rejected by their earthly parents, carefulness must be around them and the right spiritual helper must be chosen for them, or if not, it is better to leave them alone with God rather than to distress them and cause them to turn away.

Very well said, imho.

God sanctifies us, and these things have to happen in His time. Am I the judge of God's work in my? Do I know ways that are better than God's?

I think that having a shared experience or common background can be useful in counseling, but to be sure the Holy Spirit can work through us even though we are not qualified, but humility and love qualify us.

Much love!

Reactions: Acolyte

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not nonesense at all!

No one can judge another man's relationship with God, imho. There are depths to each of us that only our Creator understands, but understand He does. And He sympathizes.

I like to try to stay with the OP theme when I can bring myself to do so, :oops:, this to me is key towards our oneness with God and with each other. God sympathizes with our weakness against temptation, and we should sympathize with each other, as a part of helping each other in meekness.

Much love!
Mark

Yeah, on the one hand I didn't know if I was sticking to the theme of oneness with God and experiencing God. On the other hand, I thought I was but that no one would think I was. :)

Reactions: Acolyte and marks