Oneness with God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
With all the talk about spiritual gifts and salvation and doctrines...etc....what I find is missing is speaking of the intimate walk in the power and presence of God. In the Eastern churches this is known as THEOSIS...union with God....Oneness with God. This is not in the sense of being God or being at His level of being....as some mistakenly think. It is about partaking of His life...His holiness. It is about the intimacy of Christ in us AND entering into His world of the Spirit. For some, this is unheard of even as they read about it in their bibles. But these don't make the connection. For them they might as well be reading a fable where the cow jumps over the moon. I suppose I would have great difficulty too if I had not experienced so much of this intimacy.

So this thread is to encourage seekers of God. There will be carnal reactions, doubts, and downright hostility I would think at God's ways as He seeks to bring us into His life and His love.

If you are a Biblicist...one who believes only in a paper god...IOW that God is limited to a book and His only manifestation to us is a book...this thread is not for you. You have not realized that a book did not create the universe. The bible is indeed a god for many...but not the true God. The bible only testifies of the truth...it is NOT the truth meant to be interpreted and manipulated by men.

What poverty to have God bound up in a book that we can control. But that's the point of it. People want to put God in a box...or in this case...a book. Are we to be reconciled to a book? Or to God?

My testimony here will show that it is the height of poverty to keep God ....the living God out of our equations. How much time do we spend seeking His face as opposed to trying to do things for Him? How much say does God have in the church? Where are the prophets?

So I think it is important to go into some description of my experience with his intimacy with God.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was around the year 2000...and I was maybe 41 years old. Now I had been walking in a personal revival for a year and half or so...walking in the Spirit, experiencing His presence always...even in my sleep and dreams. So much so that my wife and friends would ask me on a daily basis what the Lord had shown me either in my sleep or upon waking. I often woke up with a new revelation of the Lord.

One day in my room I began to weep...but not just weep...to wail. We had guests in the house so these became disturbed at my crying. Then it stopped. I went into the shower...and the wailing continued for another minute or so. (I'm trying to explain this in the accuracy I can). My wife was to give me a haircut...so we went out on the deck as it was summer. A third time I wailed...thinking it was for sins I had committed...or something. But I felt no conviction...just the wailing.

I went into the washroom to wash off my hair when a voice from within spoke very clearly to me...."the countenance of God is passing over you". I knew it was an angel but I could see nothing.

I went to sit on the couch. That's when I felt a hand pushing me down on the couch so I couldn't move. A point or blade of some kind went into my heart. It was very painful...so real that I was amazed that nothing was visible. Now my wife and another lady were also being held down. There were kids playing in front of us. They were unaffected.

The knife (as I call it) had penetrated a slight way and then stopped...so I said...do it Lord, go ahead...and then the knife plunged in deeper so that I screamed out in pain. This really hurt! My wife thought I was having a heart attack. (she is right beside me right now and reminded me of that....and also that she had decided to trust God.)

We felt powerless in this event.

When the hand lifted I tried getting up and I was SO weak...so wobbly. I could walk but I was hunched over as if I was over 100 years old.

But I needed to go to work...so I got my lunch and slowly went out to get into the van. But there was a flat tire. I tried changing the flat but hadn't the strength...so my wife came out to help me. I then went in to wash my hands. As I got in the van to leave...a city truck arrived in all haste and blocked my exit. It was a sewer truck and the workmen looked like Keystone Kops working so fast (they never do that) and removing a manhole cover and sticking a big tube of some kind inside. So I was blocked. I took that to mean that I wasn't to go into work that day....with both the flat AND the driveway blockage.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For the next week or so I walked like a dead man. People at work asked me if I was sick...but I said I was just fine...just tired. Now working in this slowed down condition was hard...but I found that as I sped up...the "anointing" would lag behind. It was slower than I was. I could outpace the slowness of the dead walk...until I slowed down and it would catch up to me again. That's how I got through the week at work...by going faster than normal so that my dead walk was always a little behind.

I learned many things in that week. Coming home I felt that it wasn't me doing anything. I remember smelling flowers on the side of the road...which I never do. It was not me enjoying that...but I did.

When I got home I tried backing up the truck as usual by looking in the mirror. But try as I might I couldn't do it. For that whole week, my wife Dot would have to come out and back the van up.

What God showed me was the true condition of my inner man and how much I depended on my natural self to get me through the day. When God took away all my personal strength it revealed a shell of a man. An empty vessel.

So then we can outrun God....get ahead of Him...by not walking at His speed...God's speed. :)

Without God's filling we are just full of ourselves so we need to learn more about who we are IN Christ....and learn what is for edification inwardly. Also just how self-willed we can be and lacking knowledge of ourselves.

The spiritual walk is slower than we often live. We need to slow down to hear His voice. Be STILL and know that He is God.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are a Biblicist...one who believes only in a paper god...IOW that God is limited to a book and His only manifestation to us is a book...this thread is not for you. You have not realized that a book did not create the universe. The bible is indeed a god for many...but not the true God. The bible only testifies of the truth...it is NOT the truth meant to be interpreted and manipulated by men.

Why do you denigrate the Bible so much? Of course we don't worship a book. But just the same that Book happens to be God's written revelation to man. And I think He wrote it for a reason, that we all have the same Book, if not the same approach to it.

My testimony here will show that it is the height of poverty to keep God ....the living God out of our equations. How much time do we spend seeking His face as opposed to trying to do things for Him? How much say does God have in the church? Where are the prophets?

You seek His face outside of Scripture, and I seek His face in Scripture.

But regardless,

What God showed me was the true condition of my inner man and how much I depended on my natural self to get me through the day. When God took away all my personal strength it revealed a shell of a man. An empty vessel.

I think this is what God does with all of us.

To those who will simply believe, He does it through the reading of His Word. For myself, I had a very difficult few years that convinced my of how much I was relying on myself, and to this date I don't feel I've ever made full recovery, still afflicted.

But when we accept the end of ourselves, then we become more able to live the life of Christ.

I think that God puts each of us through the particular program that will work for us, for what we need, and for what He wants to do with us.

Without God's filling we are just full of ourselves so we need to learn more about who we are IN Christ....and learn what is for edification inwardly. Also just how self-willed we can be and lacking knowledge of ourselves.

Agreement with every word.

I think that God uses the difficulties in our lives, from whatever source, to pry us away from our inaccurate worldviews and self-views. Again, I think some people seem more inclined to just trust, but others need more help to teach us to be able to trust with the reliance of a child.

I believe that I too had God's intervention in my life, rendering me weak to the point of death, I'm not kidding here, to learn that God will personally lead me through every day doing His will by the power of His Spirit.

I believe that God has given this life to all of us who believe, and that in actually believing this to be true, we walk in that life, we enjoy the blessing and goodness of God, regardless of what our circumstances are.

Much love!
Mark

PS . . . I appreciate your personal sharing! There's a lot to doing that, I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the next week or so I walked like a dead man. People at work asked me if I was sick...but I said I was just fine...just tired. Now working in this slowed down condition was hard...but I found that as I sped up...the "anointing" would lag behind. It was slower than I was. I could outpace the slowness of the dead walk...until I slowed down and it would catch up to me again. That's how I got through the week at work...by going faster than normal so that my dead walk was always a little behind.

I learned many things in that week. Coming home I felt that it wasn't me doing anything. I remember smelling flowers on the side of the road...which I never do. It was not me enjoying that...but I did.

When I got home I tried backing up the truck as usual by looking in the mirror. But try as I might I couldn't do it. For that whole week, my wife Dot would have to come out and back the van up.

So then we can outrun God....get ahead of Him...by not walking at His speed...God's speed. :)

The spiritual walk is slower than we often live. We need to slow down to hear His voice. Be STILL and know that He is God.

Thanks for sharing a testimony/experience with God you had, most interesting read.

I couldn’t agree more, it is our personal one and one relationship with Christ, that is that relationship that will teach us all things.

Blessings as that relationship becomes our all in all.

Much love in Christ, Not me

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all the talk about spiritual gifts and salvation and doctrines...etc....what I find is missing is speaking of the intimate walk in the power and presence of God. In the Eastern churches this is known as THEOSIS...union with God....Oneness with God. This is not in the sense of being God or being at His level of being....as some mistakenly think. It is about partaking of His life...His holiness. It is about the intimacy of Christ in us AND entering into His world of the Spirit. For some, this is unheard of even as they read about it in their bibles. But these don't make the connection. For them they might as well be reading a fable where the cow jumps over the moon. I suppose I would have great difficulty too if I had not experienced so much of this intimacy.

So this thread is to encourage seekers of God. There will be carnal reactions, doubts, and downright hostility I would think at God's ways as He seeks to bring us into His life and His love.

What poverty to have God bound up in a book that we can control. But that's the point of it. People want to put God in a box...or in this case...a book. Are we to be reconciled to a book? Or to God?

So I think it is important to go into some description of my experience with his intimacy with God.
Again the rejection of the Bible.

Again calling in the paper god.

Would God send this is were, given to us to inspire, educate and bring us closer to him, meaning sanctification.

And again you elevate yourself.

When born again we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. We are one with God.

Not perfect, but on the path to glorification.

What you teach is dangerous and not from God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Again the rejection of the Bible.

Again calling in the paper god.

Would God send this is were, given to us to inspire, educate and bring us closer to him, meaning sanctification.

And again you elevate yourself.

When born again we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. We are one with God.

Not perfect, but on the path to glorification.

What you teach is dangerous and not from God.

The opposite is true of course. It is God who intervenes in our lives. It is God who seeks to elevate us..into His presence. The key is to also grow downward in humility. Otherwise we are like a tree without roots. So that however high the Lord takes us...we remain grounded in the truth. We are but created beings. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels. :)

I worship a real God...one who visits men and empowers them to walk in His presence. For some of us...this is good news indeed. But for they who lack faith...it sounds like a threat.

But we all can draw near to God so that He then draws near to us. I pray that some would be encouraged here on this forum and not be dissuaded by fear mongering and the unbelief of some posters here. :)

God is near to us....

But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth, and in your heart." That is, the word of faith which we proclaim,

I do not reject the bible...but walk rather in the truth of it. But I do reject the assertions of people who limit God to being just a bible. These are idolators who are devoid of the Holy Spirit, the love of God and the life of His Son.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The opposite is true of course. It is God who intervenes in our lives. It is God who seeks to elevate us..into His presence. The key is to also grow downward in humility. Otherwise we are like a tree without roots. So that however high the Lord takes us...we remain grounded in the truth. We are but created beings. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels. :)

I worship a real God...one who visits men and empowers them to walk in His presence. For some of us...this is good news indeed. But for they who lack faith...it sounds like a threat.

But we all can draw near to God so that He then draws near to us. I pray that some would be encouraged here on this forum and not be dissuaded by fear mongering and the unbelief of some posters here. :)

God is near to us....

But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth, and in your heart." That is, the word of faith which we proclaim,

I do not reject the bible...but walk rather in the truth of it. But I do reject the assertions of people who limit God to being just a bible. These are idolators who are devoid of the Holy Spirit, the love of God and the life of His Son.

If I may be so bold as to interject ??

I see it as the difference between the Written Word of God and the Living Word of God.

The Written is to point us to the Living.

(my thinks)

Blessings,

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is near to us....

I stand behind what I said.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do you denigrate the Bible so much?

The remark I am sure was not made for the likes of you, but for certain ones who only preach the dead-letter of the Word, using it as a bludgeon that kills any inspired thread dead.

( plus the Cessationist's)

I could be wrong...but I am guessing I am right.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos
You are a brave man... there are many stories I could tell also of the Lords leadings. And the intimacies of the Spirit's voice in our life...but, I have seen others try it, and the pearls get trampled underfoot.

Where the Spirit is, there will soon be vultures come to snatch away the seed.
I am not as brave as you.... :)

Thank you for sharing such lovely posts .

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The remark I am sure was not made for the likes of you, but for certain ones who only preach the dead-letter of the Word, using it as a bludgeon that kills any inspired thread dead.

The Bible is not dead. It is the living word of God.

If it is dead don't read it.

Open your ears and mind to every demon that comes by to whisper to you.

Pretend and think you're hearing the Holy Spirit when you are not.

The Bible makes it clear everything the Bible teaches will endure until accomplished.

You are saying it now requires something else. Not good.

And you know I am not a Cessationist.

You are accepting far too many things as inspired that the Bible does not teach or accept.

There is no new Bible level revelation after the book of Revelation.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may be so bold as to interject ??

I see it as the difference between the Written Word of God and the Living Word of God.

The Written is to point us to the Living.

(my thinks)

Blessings,

Hi Not me,

I agree wholeheartedly that the Bible is intended to bring us to God. But I don't believe in leaving the Bible behind once we've met the Author.

I believe that we need to be able to take any experience, any imagination, any vision or dream or revelation, anything in life whatsoever, and bring it in submission the Written Word, and let that be the judge of me, not me the judge of it.

It certainly comes to a matter of conscience privately before God. There is also the matter of how others can verify our claims. If not by the Written Word, then by what?

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Not me

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll be happy to be wrong!

:)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos
You are a brave man... there are many stories I could tell also of the Lords leadings. And the intimacies of the Spirit's voice in our life...but, I have seen others try it, and the pearls get trampled underfoot.

Where the Spirit is, there will soon be vultures come to snatch away the seed.
I am not as brave as you.... :)

Thank you for sharing such lovely posts .

Thank you for your kind words Helen. I would love to hear of the Lord's leading in your life. I think it is encouraging to hear for all of us from the "elders"....as it once was ...whereby what the Lord did in one person was meant for the benefit thereby as an encouragement. I see eldership as being both male and female...there being no difference in Christ. Testimony is testimony.

We need to be courageous in the face of opposition...as sheep among wolves! :)

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Not me,

I agree wholeheartedly that the Bible is intended to bring us to God. But I don't believe in leaving the Bible behind once we've met the Author.

I believe that we need to be able to take any experience, any imagination, any vision or dream or revelation, anything in life whatsoever, and bring it in submission the Written Word, and let that be the judge of me, not me the judge of it.

It certainly comes to a matter of conscience privately before God. There is also the matter of how others can verify our claims. If not by the Written Word, then by what?

Much love!
Mark

Absolutely!

Nothing that comes from the Spirit of God will ever contradict scripture in any way.

As far as knowing what’s of God and what is not. Scripture says;

Colossians 3:15 (NASB)
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.

“Let the Peace of Christ rule in our hearts”

That word “rule” can also be translated “arbitrate.”

So it can read “let the peace of Christ arbitrate in your heart. “

Or let it be the decider, let it weigh all things. If something upsets the peace of Christ in your heart, doesn’t matter what it is, do something else.

Follow what the peace of Christ in your heart says about all things for the peace of Christ in your heart is Christ in you your hope of glory.

Blessings as you go to God for a confirmation or not.