Only baptism by immersion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, agreed! Jesus died for us before the foundations of the world. Revelation 13:8 tells us so. :)

Yes, @theefaith , water baptism is unto repentance. When we receive Christ as Lord and Savoir, we are then sealed with the Holy Spirit. Far as I am concerned, this IS the baptism with fire and The Holy Spirit.
I have had no tongues of fire alight above my head, have you, or anyone who thinks there is some special "baptism"? We already have ALL of His Spirit, why does one look, still for "more" of what we already fully have, forever?

Christian baptism jn 3:5
1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The fire is the love of God!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptized is not a native English word, it is a transliteration of the Ancient Greek word Baptizo, which means to be immersed or plunged into something, it was also used of a person who dyed garments (a baptizer) and the dying or coloring process

it is a derivative af the Greek word bapto which means to dip, (we see this word in revelation where Jesus will return with his robed dipped (bapto) in blood.

in scripture there are different types of baptisms

1. ceremonial cleaning of the utensils used in the temple, as they were baptized

2. christian baptism, where John and other disciples baptized new believers as a testimony of faith

3. spirit baptism, where we are baptized into Christ, his death, and his body.

what is important for us to do is look at context and what is really happening to determine which form is being used

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...
Because someone mentioned baptism in the Jordan River...

They have the spot picked out very carefully where this occurred.

And it is a great spot for baptizing people.... except for one thing.

The water is only shin deep.

See the Jordan has two levels. It floods in the spring/winter as the snow melts and rain comes off the mountains.
Otherwise it's just the springs that feed it.

And the water is slow moving and only just above your ankles...they have hollowed out/deepened one spot for people today... installed concrete steps and a guard rail.

But these things are modern...

The only way Jesus got dunked is if He lained down and rolled around in the River.

Otherwise he got a pour over just like April did.

It's a pretty spot in Israel.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptized is not a native English word, it is a transliteration of the Ancient Greek word Baptizo, which means to be immersed or plunged into something, it was also used of a person who dyed garments (a baptizer) and the dying or coloring process

it is a derivative af the Greek word bapto which means to dip, (we see this word in revelation where Jesus will return with his robed dipped (bapto) in blood.

in scripture there are different types of baptisms

1. ceremonial cleaning of the utensils used in the temple, as they were baptized

2. christian baptism, where John and other disciples baptized new believers as a testimony of faith

3. spirit baptism, where we are baptized into Christ, his death, and his body.

what is important for us to do is look at context and what is really happening to determine which form is being used

and scripture says there is only one baptism now eph 4:5
Christian baptism by water and the spirit

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Reactions: Nancy

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...
Because someone mentioned baptism in the Jordan River...

They have the spot picked out very carefully where this occurred.

And it is a great spot for baptizing people.... except for one thing.

The water is only shin deep.

See the Jordan has two levels. It floods in the spring/winter as the snow melts and rain comes off the mountains.
Otherwise it's just the springs that feed it.

And the water is slow moving and only just above your ankles...they have hollowed out/deepened one spot for people today... installed concrete steps and a guard rail.

But these things are modern...

The only way Jesus got dunked is if He lained down and rolled around in the River.

Otherwise he got a pour over just like April did.

It's a pretty spot in Israel.

And this is coming from a Baptist ya'all so it just goes to show that not all of them think that immersion is the only way. Of course John still never fails to surprise me. :D (Btw, some nice trivia there, I didn't know that Jordan was so shallow.)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I just thought of something. I've heard these ideas being tossed around before but since John Da Baptist brought it up (a long descendant of John The Baptist :p) what do you think was the true reason for Christ's baptisim?

1. He wanted to set a good example for those who followed Him and it was the start of His ministry.

2. He found His baptism made Him completely righteous and holy.

3. He wanted to identify with those that followed Him.

4. All of the above.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I just thought of something. I've heard these ideas being tossed around before but since John Da Baptist brought it up (a long descendant of John The Baptist :p) what do you think was the true reason for Christ's baptisim?

1. He wanted to set a good example for those who followed Him and it was the start of His ministry.

4. All of the above.

to fulfill all righteousness

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and scripture says there is only one baptism now eph 4:5
Christian baptism by water and the spirit

Actually, I think it means the one baptism which saved

scripture teaches multiple baptisms, including as we are told, the people of a Israel being baptized into Moses.

not all of these baptisms save

the two passages you gave would be spirit baptism, no water was involved in either of those two ex pet maybe spiritual water,. Those passages along with Romans 6 and col 2 is the baptism of God, not the baptism by man in water,

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

4. All of the above.
John gave us the answer himself

John 1: 31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”
32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

he explained why he came baptizing and why Christ was to be baptized, as Jesus said to fulfill all righteousness, joy was able to testify of Christ, and Christ was able to testify he was Gods son.

To me this is the meaning of water baptism, a place to give a testimony of your faith in God, to proclaim you are a child of God and as a witness and teaching tool to those who witness your baptism,

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John gave us the answer himself

John 1: 31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”
32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

he explained why he came baptizing and why Christ was to be baptized, as Jesus said to fulfill all righteousness, joy was able to testify of Christ, and Christ was able to testify he was Gods son.

To me this is the meaning of water baptism, a place to give a testimony of your faith in God, to proclaim you are a child of God and as a witness and teaching tool to those who witness your baptism,

So then looks like number two is the true answer here. :)

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

4. All of the above.

I'd say #1 :)

Reactions: April_Rose

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I think it means the one baptism which saved

scripture teaches multiple baptisms, including as we are told, the people of a Israel being baptized into Moses.

not all of these baptisms save

the two passages you gave would be spirit baptism, no water was involved in either of those two ex pet maybe spiritual water,. Those passages along with Romans 6 and col 2 is the baptism of God, not the baptism by man in water,

Jn 3:5 by water AND the spirit

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Only God can judge that since only He knows hearts. But there is a deep spiritual significance to baptism by immersion which may or may not have been explained to you. See Romans 6.

Its not a good idea to judge someone's "heart" based on if they were dunked or not.

See, you can be water baptized and go to hell.
But you can can't be born again and go to hell.
So which actually matters, in the end?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not a good idea to judge someone's "heart" based on if they were dunked or not.

Or you don't even have to be baptized at all (example the thief on the cross) and still go to Heaven. Baptism though a commandment is not a requirement to be saved.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Baptism is necessary for salvation Jn 3:5