Only baptism by immersion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I view baptism as a symbol of sins being washed away. But I'm sure we all agree that it is a symbol and the water isn't actually physically washing anything away. The Bible never specifically commands it be done one specific way. So being immersed or just having water poured over your head they both have the same symbolic significance. I don't think it matters in God's eyes as long as the heart is converted and you are finding meaning in the baptism act whichever way you have it done.
Spit mixed with dirt made mud. The mud didn’t heal the blind leper. The mud was symbolic but He still used it to heal. Sick people clamored to have the shadow of Peter fall upon them. So, yes, God can and has used symbolism to heal. Why is His 2,000 year teaching to use water to heal ones heart (wash away sins) such a far stretch? After all, he used mud!! He led by example. He used symbols.....why can’t we?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Noah’s ark a symbol?

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

Hope you can swim? Cos outside the ark of salvation all drown!
In 1 Peter 3:21, Peter tells us that baptism now saves you, yet when Peter uses this phrase he continues in the same sentence to explain exactly what he means by it. He said that baptism now saves you-not the removal of dirt from the flesh (that is, not as an outward, physical act which washes dirt from the body--that is not what saves you), "but an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (that is, as an inward, spiritual transaction between God and the individual, a transaction that is symbolized by the outward ceremony of water baptism).

*Just as the eight people in the ark were "saved THROUGH water" as they were IN THE ARK. They were not literally saved "by" the water. Hebrews 11:7 is clear on this point (..built an ARK for the SAVING of his household). *The context reveals that ONLY the righteous (Noah and his family) were DRY and therefore SAFE. In contrast, only the wicked in Noah's day came in contract with the water and they all perished.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith and baptism is the initiation into the new covenant church not faith alone

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Ez is about Israel

the other two passage are baptism if the Holy Spirit not water. There is no water in this verses

repent
My friend. Place your faith in Christ not the one who baptized you in water

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ez is about Israel

the other two passage are baptism if the Holy Spirit not water. There is no water in this verses

repent
My friend. Place your faith in Christ not the one who baptized you in water

israel does not get the HS

and God both Baptizes and commanded baptism ez 36 matt 28:19

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya know immersion isn't always the best way to go. Especially with people like this.