Only baptism by immersion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I was baptized into a Methodist church by having water poured on me and in my heart I was baptized so I really don't care if other people think or try to tell me otherwise.

Reactions: JohnDB and Nancy

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every verse which includes "baptism" is a verse on baptism by immersion, unless it is about Spirit baptism (which is metaphorical immersion).

So does that make me less baptized since I did it differently in your eyes?

Reactions: Nancy

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every verse which includes "baptism" is a verse on baptism by immersion, unless it is about Spirit baptism (which is metaphorical immersion).
Immersion is preferable but not necessary
I suppose you also require being baptized in the Jordan by John the Baptist?

Reactions: April_Rose

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So does that make me less baptized since I did it differently in your eyes?
Only God can judge that since only He knows hearts. But there is a deep spiritual significance to baptism by immersion which may or may not have been explained to you. See Romans 6.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every verse no!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Heb 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only God can judge that since only He knows hearts.

Stop right here! What does this have to do with baptism immersion then? As long as you have Christ in your heart I don't really think it matters how you're baptized,.. pouring water onto your head is just how my church does it. It means exactly the same thing, the ceremony is just performed differently. The ceremony or "magic water" has nothing to do with it.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop right here! What does this have to do with baptism immersion then? As long as you have Christ in your heart I don't really think it matters how you're baptized,.. pouring water onto your head is just how my church does it. It means exactly the same thing, the ceremony is just performed differently. The ceremony or "magic water" has nothing to do with it.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hey April Rose,
I'm kind of thinking that the thief on the cross had no water at all. I see it as an outward confession of Christ, sprinkled or immersed. God does not stand on men's ceremony. I've always seen adult baptism as a confession of faith in Christ and at the same time...repentance. You're good girl!!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

So then what do those verses mean?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey April Rose,
I'm kind of thinking that the thief on the cross had no water at all. I see it as an outward confession of Christ, sprinkled or immersed. God does not stand on men's ceremony. I've always seen adult baptism as a confession of faith in Christ and at the same time...repentance. You're good girl!!

the requirement for baptism Jn 3:5 does not effect until the death of the savior

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the church and her sacraments are necessary
Christ and His church are one, acts 9
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 acts 9 eph 2:20

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, then I suppose all those who JTB baptized must have had to repeat it then, since it hadn't taken effect yet.
Yes and his was only a baptism of repentance not Christian baptism with fire and the HS

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry but I don't understand. If they had still believed that Jesus was the promised Messiah and He had come to die for them (if they had been told) wouldn't it still have been the exact same thing as to when we get baptized even though Christ hadn't died for us yet?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry but I don't understand. If they had still believed that Jesus was the promised Messiah and He had come to die for them (if they had been told) wouldn't it still have been the exact same thing as to when we get baptized even though Christ hadn't died for us yet?

Yes, agreed! Jesus died for us before the foundations of the world. Revelation 13:8 tells us so. :)

Yes, @theefaith , water baptism is unto repentance. When we receive Christ as Lord and Savoir, we are then sealed with the Holy Spirit. Far as I am concerned, this IS the baptism with fire and The Holy Spirit.
I have had no tongues of fire alight above my head, have you, or anyone who thinks there is some special "baptism"? We already have ALL of His Spirit, why does one look, still for "more" of what we already fully have, forever?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. This verse is about being baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ. Notice the word "drink" in 1 Corinthians 12:13 and in John 4:10,14; 7:37. The Holy Spirit baptizes believers into one body/the body of Christ (not to be confused with water baptism) and the Holy Spirit is also the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. Spirit baptism is the reality and water baptism is the picture of the reality.

In regards to Galatians 3:27 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have "put on/clothed yourself" with Christ. The Greek word for "put on" is "enduo" and means to enclose oneself in, as when one "puts on" clothes or armor or some other item. Involved in this is the idea of "imitation" and "identification." Just as 1 Corinthians 10:2 says that all (the Israelites) were "baptized into Moses" in the cloud and in the sea, but this does not mean they were literally water baptized into the body of Moses.

We are baptized by one Spirit into the body of Christ when we believe the gospel (Ephesians 1:13) yet in what sense would we be (water) baptized "into" Christ? In the same sense that the Israelites baptized "into" Moses. (1 Corinthians 10:2) Not literally water baptized into the body of Moses here and there is little dispute that being "baptized into Moses" signified the open allegiance and public identification of the Israelites with Moses. Moses was formally recognized as the leader of the covenant people, just as water baptism signifies our allegiance and public identification with Christ as our Savior through His death, burial and resurrection.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

johns was a preparation for Christ
Matt 3:11