Only baptism by immersion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Faith alone” means that salvation is from god apart from any works of man. I believe that. “Faith Alone” does not mean “intellectual ascent with no evidence of a changed life”.

The saying is ... “We are saved byFaith alone, but the faith that saves is never found alone.” In other words, our “good works” are the FRIUT that grows from our SALVATION and not the ROOT that leads to our SALVATION.

you don’t have a personal covenant with God!

Baptismal regeneration!
The initiation into the new covenant!
The only means of grace and salvation!

Old Testament pre-figures of baptism.

Psalm 36:9
For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.

Song of Solomon 4:15
A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.

Isaiah 41:18
I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.

OT pre-figured baptism

Isaiah 52:15 So shall he sprinkle many nations;

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

New Testament

Matt 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

( Disciples by baptism not faith alone)

Mk 1:4
John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 16:16
he who believes and is baptized shall be saved!

Jn 1: 11
He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (Baptism)

John 1:26
John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6
And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)

John3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22
After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4
When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Act 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(Baptism)

Acts 8:36
And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Philip preached Jesus and the result is justification by baptism!

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Rom 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ephesians 1:13
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 4:5 
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Gal 4:19
My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (baptism)

Heb 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 1:22
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: see Ez 36

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, (baptism rom 6:3-4)

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

Hope you can swim? Cos outside the ark of salvation all drown!

Feb 13, 2021
Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the church yes
The bride
The new or heavenly Jerusalem
We enter by Christian baptism
Eph 4:5

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The church is not the Bride, the Overcomers are the Bride -
the church is in the Wide Gate to Death- Matthew 7:13

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church is not the Bride, the Overcomers are the Bride -
the church is in the Wide Gate to Death- Matthew 7:13

the church is the bride of Christ
The New Jerusalem
The kingdom kingdom of God
The vineyard
The household of faith
The pillar and foundation of truth
The body of Christ!
All the above

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
baptism means both and water and the spirit
Jn 3:5 both
Good Day sir

I pray you find Gods truth before you meet him.

I gave you the Greek definition. You ignored it

I showed you how it would have to be interpreted using your definition and how foolish it sounds in the two passages. Not to mention. How they fit the greek definition not yours

3. I asked you to show where Jesus told Nicodemus used the word Baptize when he told Nicodemus HOW we are born again. (by faith) and you could not

There is a time we have to wipe the dust off of our feet. and I think this is this time.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am dumfounded how a person can think we can add anything to the blood of Christ to wash our sins and make us white as snow.
Hi EG,

It sounds like some man taught you that we can only choose one or the other? The blood of Christ takes away our sins OR baptism washes away our sins! Scripture says both so why can't both be true?

Acts 22:16 has dumbfounded a lot of men since the 16th century but it didn't dumbfound the men who lived during the lives of the Apostles!

THE LETTER OF BARNABAS
“Regarding [baptism], we have the evidence of Scripture that Israel would refuse to accept the washing which confers the remission of sins and would set up a substitution of their own instead [Ps. 1:3–6]. Observe there how he describes both the water and the cross in the same figure. His meaning is, ‘Blessed are those who go down into the water with their hopes set on the cross.’ Here he is saying that after we have stepped down into the water, burdened with sin and defilement, we come up out of it bearing fruit, with reverence in our hearts and the hope of Jesus in our souls” (Letter of Barnabas 11:1–10 [A.D. 74]).

HERMAS
“‘I have heard, sir,’ said I, ‘from some teacher, that there is no other repentance except that which took place when we went down into the water and obtained the remission of our former sins.’ He said to me, ‘You have heard rightly, for so it is’” (The Shepherd 4:3:1–2 [A.D. 80]).

So do you choose the interpretation of men who taught you that you have to choose one or the other or do you choose the interpretation of men who walked and talked with the Apostles?

Curious Mary

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No - that is Scriptural acrobatics.
Allow ME to paraphrase for YOU:
John 3:3-3
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born oagain he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.Jesus answered him, "I tell you truly that unless a person is born AGAIN, they cannot see the Kingdom of God."
Nicodemus replies, "How is a person born again when he is old? Can he he be physically born from his mother

Thank you for nearly quoting my entire post to you..

So, let me try again to show you how to see "born again", without water..

Think now..

A question... Have you anyone in your family that is in the Army or in the "armed services"?
Have you ever been out and noticed someone wearing a uniform that classifies them as being in the "armed services"..?

Ok, why are they wearing that uniform?
A.) its because they are IN the armed services. = its what you do if you are IN.

So, because they are joined, joined up, and accepted by the Armed services they wear a uniform, as this is symbolic.
Its symbolic of being IN.... ..... so... do you follow me so far?

Now, can you wear a uniform, and not be in the armed services?
Yes.

So, now, just compare being "in Christ" with being joined to God, and then the water baptism, is the uniform you wear, after you are IN. = You wear the uniform.

See, you wear a uniform because you are IN THE ARMY, or whatever branch.
But you can wear one and not be IN.....=not accepted.

So, you can be water baptized and on your way to hell because you are not IN God. = Not born again.
Understand?

See, that water can't put you into the Spirit of God, and if you have been taught the lie that it did, or can, by a water cult, then you are deceived.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
And that spiritual birth is accomplished how? If not by Christian baptism by water and the spirit?

Baptismal regeneration!

Water Cults teach "Baptismal regeneration", which is the lie that water saves you.

This teaching denies the Cross, offends the Grace of God, and is a literal cursed of God, theology, as are those cults, cursed. Galatians 1:8

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
God says so

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you,
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body,

Listen.

filthiness found in the heart, as sin or Christ rejection, can't be cleansed by taking a shower, or being immersed in water or sprinkled by the city water system.
See, inner dirt, the filth of the soul and of the mind, can't be cleansed by water that wets your body.
Can you understand this ??

So...Instead, you have to be cleansed from WITHIN.
= Born AGAIN.
ANd only God's Holy Spirit can deal with your dead spirit and your sin nature.
Water, need not apply.
Works need not apply.
Self Righteousness need not apply.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Not so
Only “faith alone”!
Mk 16:16

There is more to the NT, then that one verse.
So, dont make the mistake, that heretics make, of trying to ignore the rest of the NT that Paul wrote.
He is your "gentile apostile", and we are in the "time of the Gentiles".
So, find out what Paul teaches that Christ told him to teach, in this Dispensation.
Its not "water baptism".
Its "justification by Faith"..."the Gift of righteousness".

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi EG,

It sounds like some man taught you that we can only choose one or the other? The blood of Christ takes away our sins OR baptism washes away our sins! Scripture says both so why can't both be true?

Acts 22:16 has dumbfounded a lot of men since the 16th century but it didn't dumbfound the men who lived during the lives of the Apostles!

THE LETTER OF BARNABAS
“Regarding [baptism], we have the evidence of Scripture that Israel would refuse to accept the washing which confers the remission of sins and would set up a substitution of their own instead [Ps. 1:3–6]. Observe there how he describes both the water and the cross in the same figure. His meaning is, ‘Blessed are those who go down into the water with their hopes set on the cross.’ Here he is saying that after we have stepped down into the water, burdened with sin and defilement, we come up out of it bearing fruit, with reverence in our hearts and the hope of Jesus in our souls” (Letter of Barnabas 11:1–10 [A.D. 74]).

HERMAS
“‘I have heard, sir,’ said I, ‘from some teacher, that there is no other repentance except that which took place when we went down into the water and obtained the remission of our former sins.’ He said to me, ‘You have heard rightly, for so it is’” (The Shepherd 4:3:1–2 [A.D. 80]).

So do you choose the interpretation of men who taught you that you have to choose one or the other or do you choose the interpretation of men who walked and talked with the Apostles?

Curious Mary

hello again Mary. Long time no see

we been down this path before. I made my case and you failed to agree which is your choice. I have no desire to go through that again

I disagree with everything you said here. And you will not agree with anything I say. So let’s just agree to disagree

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is more to the NT, then that one verse.
So, dont make the mistake, that heretics make, of trying to ignore the rest of the NT that Paul wrote.
He is your "gentile apostile", and we are in the "time of the Gentiles".
So, find out what Paul teaches that Christ told him to teach, in this Dispensation.
Its not "water baptism".
Its "justification by Faith"..."the Gift of righteousness".
Salvation has been by grace not works since Adam

it saddens me people want to add works to the gospel. Basically saying the death of our lord is not enough

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hello again Mary. Long time no see

we been down this path before. I made my case and you failed to agree which is your choice. I have no desire to go through that again

I disagree with everything you said here. And you will not agree with anything I say. So let’s just agree to disagree
Yes, long time no see. How are you???

Lets be clear. You didn't make your case. What you did is throw out passages of Scripture that don't fit your beliefs (or what was taught to you by another man) and accept those that do fit your belief. It's a common Protestant practice. Scripture says baptism washes away sins....You say it doesn't. Your 16th century men say it doesn't....My 1st century men says it does soooooo lets be very clear...You did not make your case! You gave your opinion.

It seems like you are saying to me when you when you feel like you have made your case and if I fail to agree with you I am making the wrong choice???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Hmmmmm......fascinating

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, long time no see. How are you???

Lets be clear. You didn't make your case. What you did is throw out passages of Scripture that don't fit your beliefs (or what was taught to you by another man) and accept those that do fit your belief. It's a common Protestant practice. Scripture says baptism washes away sins....You say it doesn't. Your 16th century men say it doesn't....My 1st century men says it does soooooo lets be very clear...You did not make your case! You gave your opinion.

It seems like you are saying to me when you when you feel like you have made your case and if I fail to agree with you I am making the wrong choice???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Hmmmmm......fascinating

Hiya Mary, I am great thank you

Actually what I was saying is I made my case you made yours and we did not agree. You gave me your opinion I gave you mine. Its as simple as that.

This is the second time you made an accusation that I did something with is just your OPINION. I did not throw any passsage out. I actually interpreted them differently than you. For you to say I throw them out is accusatory and false. Thats why I did not want to get into this discussion with you.

Baptism does take away son. Just not water baptism.

Your trying to replace the work of God with the work of man IN MY VIEW, But again, I will not judge you for this. But I will ask that if you want to discuss to stop from the accusatory and false information you are sharing.

I am not a protestant. I am a member of the body of Christ the true universal body (church) of Christ. To call me protestant is in reality an insult.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Faith alone” means that salvation is from god apart from any works of man. I believe that. “Faith Alone” does not mean “intellectual ascent with no evidence of a changed life”.

The saying is ... “We are saved byFaith alone, but the faith that saves is never found alone.” In other words, our “good works” are the FRIUT that grows from our SALVATION and not the ROOT that leads to our SALVATION.
Hello,

It seems to me you are saying that by having faith in Him you will have a changed life and that changed life leads to good works?

I can't find that teaching in Scripture. Would you quote it please??

Thank you in advance!

Mary

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

Please look up your comment above and show where is says born again means baptismal regeneration...
Hebrew Roots‎ | The original foundation

THE ORDINANCE OF WATER BAPTISMEdit

The word "Baptism" is a transliteration of the Greek word BAPTIZO which means to immerse. In Hebrew it is referred to as a MIKVEH - an immersion. Basically it is an immersion into another substance, for the purpose of being saturated by it, such as water in this instance.The new covenant also presents the immersion of a believer "in the Spirit of God" and also "with Fire". Matthew 3:11

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Hi EG,
OR baptism washes away our sins!

Sin is an issue of the heart., of the inner man.
Sin is an issue that God has to deal with, inside you, using the Blood of Jesus that was shed 2000 yrs ago.

Water, can't touch what is inside you that is wrong, which is Why God had to die on THE Cross to deal with it for you.

You are not your body.
Its not your body that is born again.
Water can only touch FLESH, skin.
The BLood of Jesus, does not touch your flesh, it solves your sin.

Water can't do any of this..
And if you are told it can, then get away from this man made religious Cross Denying situation.

Its like i told a water cult follower a few mins ago.

If water can "regenerate you"....if we are "born again by and of the water"........ then why did Jesus have to die?

Or this..
Take Jesus off the Cross, and put Him back into heaven.
He never died.
Now, water baptize yourself 500 times.....
Are you born again by water?
Really?

Some water cults will shout = YES !!!!

Dont ever believe them.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin is an issue of the heart., of the inner man.
Sin is an issue that God has to deal with, inside you, using the Blood of Jesus that was shed 2000 yrs ago.

Water, can't touch what is inside you that is wrong, which is Why God had to die on THE Cross to deal with it for you.

You are not your body.
Its not your body that is born again.
Water can only touch FLESH, skin.
The BLood of Jesus, does not touch your flesh, it solves your sin.

Water can't do any of this..
And if you are told it can, then get away from this man made religious Cross Denying situation.

Its like i told a water cult follower a few mins ago.

If water can "regenerate you"....if we are "born again by and of the water"........ then why did Jesus have to die?

Or this..
Take Jesus off the Cross, and put Him back into heaven.
He never died.
Now, water baptize yourself 500 times.....
Are you born again by water?
Really?

Some water cults will shout = YES !!!!

Dont ever believe them.
You are correct...only the blood of Jesus can take away our sins.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hiya Mary, I am great thank you

Actually what I was saying is I made my case you made yours and we did not agree. You gave me your opinion I gave you mine. Its as simple as that.

This is the second time you made an accusation that I did something with is just your OPINION. I did not throw any passsage out. I actually interpreted them differently than you. For you to say I throw them out is accusatory and false. Thats why I did not want to get into this discussion with you.

Baptism does take away son. Just not water baptism.

Your trying to replace the work of God with the work of man IN MY VIEW, But again, I will not judge you for this. But I will ask that if you want to discuss to stop from the accusatory and false information you are sharing.

I am not a protestant. I am a member of the body of Christ the true universal body (church) of Christ. To call me protestant is in reality an insult.
I better understand what you mean now about it being our opinions.

The men who taught you say baptism doesn't take away sin...I gave 1st century writings from men who say different and scripture says it does! I choose my men and their interpretation of scripture over your men.
Thank you for your time.

Mary

Protestant defined: a member of any of several church denominations denying the universal authority of the Pope and affirming the Reformation principles of justification by faith alone, the priesthood of all believers, and the primacy of the Bible as the only source of revealed truth.

That is you...