Only Two Times of Resurrection, Not Three

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that men's doctrines wrongly teach 3 resurrection periods in God's Word? Check it out.

The 1st one was when Jesus resurrected, and many of the saints resurrected... which He pointed to in the John 5:25 verse:

Matt 27:50-53
50 Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
KJV

Lord Jesus Christ represented the 'firstfruits' of the resurrection. In 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4, Peter said Jesus at His resurrection went to the "spirits in prison" and preached The Gospel to them. And per the Isaiah 42:7 prophecy He would lead the prisoners in darkness out of the prison houses, i.e., the heavenly prison house.

The 2nd example is to happen on the last day of this present world when Jesus returns, on the "day of the Lord" per Apostles Paul and Peter (1 Thessalonians 5:1-5 and 2 Peter 3:10 in association with Revelation 16:15 where Jesus said He comes "as a thief")...

John 5:28-29
28 Marvel not at this:
for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
KJV

It's obvious that above resurrection example HAS NOT happened yet today, for that is set for the end of this world at His future return on the "day of the Lord".

The 3rd example...

There is NO THIRD RESURRECTION EXAMPLE written in God's Word.
But some preach a false teaching that there will be a 2nd resurrection only about the 'wicked' at the very end of Christ's future "thousand years" reign of Revelation 20. That presents a problem against God's Word, because Jesus showed in John 5:28-29 that BOTH the "resurrection of life" AND... the "resurrection of damnation" happen at that same 'hour' of His future coming.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that men's doctrines wrongly teach 3 resurrection periods in God's Word? Check it out.

The 1st one was when Jesus resurrected, and many of the saints resurrected... which He pointed to in the John 5:25 verse:

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
53 And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
KJV

Lord Jesus Christ represented the 'firstfruits' of the resurrection. In 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4, Peter said Jesus at His resurrection went to the "spirits in prison" and preached The Gospel to them. And per the Isaiah 42:7 prophecy He would lead the prisoners in darkness out of the prison houses, i.e., the heavenly prison house.

The 2nd example is to happen on the last day of this present world when Jesus returns, on the "day of the Lord" per Apostles Paul and Peter (1 Thessalonians 5:1-5 and 2 Peter 3:10 in association with Revelation 16:15 where Jesus said He comes "as a thief")...

28 Marvel not at this:
for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
KJV

It's obvious that above resurrection example HAS NOT happened yet today, for that is set for the end of this world at His future return on the "day of the Lord".

The 3rd example...

But some preach a false teaching that there will be a 2nd resurrection only about the 'wicked' at the very end of Christ's future "thousand years" reign of Revelation 20. That presents a problem against God's Word, because Jesus showed in John 5:28-29 that BOTH the "resurrection of life" AND... the "resurrection of damnation" happen at that same 'hour' of His future coming.
The saints of Mat 27 were not resurrected sir, they were shaken from the graves from the earthquake. There are basically two resurrections which are permanent, the first resurrection Rev 20:6, and then the resurrection of everyone else in God's memory Jn 5:28,29 during the millennial reign of Christ.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The saints of Mat 27 were not resurrected sir, they were shaken from the graves from the earthquake. There are basically two resurrections which are permanent, the first resurrection Rev 20:6, and then the resurrection of everyone else in God's memory Jn 5:28,29 during the millennial reign of Christ.
A resurrection of saints is exactly... what the Matthew 27:52-53 Scripture is declaring. It even says they WENT INTO THE HOLY CITY, AND APPEARED TO MANY.

So why... would you want to DENY that Scripture as written?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A resurrection of saints is exactly... what the Matthew 27:52-53 Scripture is declaring. It even says they WENT INTO THE HOLY CITY, AND APPEARED TO MANY.

Because it would basically nullify the need for Jesus' sacrifice sir, he had not yet appeared before the person of God to present his sacrifice to Him.
(Hebrews 9:24) . . .For Christ entered, not into a holy place made with hands, which is a copy of the reality, but into heaven itself, now to appear before the person of God for us.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it would basically nullify the need for Jesus' sacrifice sir, he had not yet appeared before the person of God to present his sacrifice to Him.
(Hebrews 9:24) . . .For Christ entered, not into a holy place made with hands, which is a copy of the reality, but into heaven itself, now to appear before the person of God for us.
Uh, WHAT?

Have you not understood what Jesus did at His resurrection per the 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4 preaching The Gospel to the "spirits in prison"?

You are adding... to God's Word with your idea. The Hebrews 9:24 verse does not say anything about your requirement for Him to appear in Heaven to The Father to start His Salvation.

While He was yet alive He was offering that Salvation, and even foretold of His death and resurrection. So all He had to do was to be raised from the dead by The Father.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, WHAT?

Have you not understood what Jesus did at His resurrection per the 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4 preaching The Gospel to the "spirits in prison"?

You are adding... to God's Word with your idea. The Hebrews 9:24 verse does not say anything about your requirement for Him to appear in Heaven to The Father to start His Salvation.

While He was yet alive He was offering that Salvation, and even foretold of His death and resurrection. So all He had to do was to be raised from the dead by The Father.
We say those dead bodies were shaken out of their graves and not resurrected. I fully understand why you think they were, and I assume you believe they were like the other nine resurrections that were done prior to Jesus' sacrifice and they died again. If you believe they were part of the first resurrection in which they have been granted eternal life, where are they Davy? We believe the first resurrection did not occur until after Jesus was enthroned as King. At one time I believed they were resurrected as well, but I no longer believe that Davy.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We say those dead bodies were shaken out of their graves and not resurrected. I fully understand why you think they were, and I assume you believe they were like the other nine resurrections that were done prior to Jesus' sacrifice and they died again. If you believe they were part of the first resurrection in which they have been granted eternal life, where are they Davy? We believe the first resurrection did not occur until after Jesus was enthroned as King. At one time I believed they were resurrected as well, but I no longer believe that Davy.
But oh yes they were resurrected, and appeared in Jerusalem to many to prove the resurrection is real.

Did that mean they lived on earth and died again? I'll almost bet... that's what you are thinking, since you can't seem to understand this because of your 'fleshy' mind getting in the way.

The resurrection is to a "spiritual body", a body like the angels have, which is the "image of the heavenly" Paul spoke of. So if you're not here on earth in a flesh body, then you are in the heavenly dimension with a spirit body. The idea of being asleep is a metaphor for those in Christ who have died; it does not mean they are actually sleeping in a casket out in the backyard.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hmmm. There are numerous stories of resurrections in Scripture. I think it was Elijah or Elisha who raised someone from the dead. God raised the prophet Jeremiah. And of course, Jesus raised Lazarus. Obviously, none of these examples require the sacrifice of Christ.

However, I think the focus of this thread is differentiating merely coming back from the dead to being raised in a glorified body, which does not decay. This does require the sacrifice of Christ.

Reactions: BeyondET

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth be known, there is only One resurrection (but two or three accounts told regarding all who are included). Just as it is also written, "that our old man was crucified with Him."

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJV

28 Marvel not at this:
KJV

The 3rd example...

Good News Translation
28 Do not be surprised at this; the time is coming when all the dead will hear his voice 29 and come out of their graves: those who have done good will rise and live, and those who have done evil will rise and be condemned.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm. There are numerous stories of resurrections in Scripture. I think it was Elijah or Elisha who raised someone from the dead. God raised the prophet Jeremiah. And of course, Jesus raised Lazarus. Obviously, none of these examples require the sacrifice of Christ.

However, I think the focus of this thread is differentiating merely coming back from the dead to being raised in a glorified body, which does not decay. This does require the sacrifice of Christ.
And the widow's son, the daughter of a prominent figure. The bible also says physical death is once.

Hebrews 9:27
Just as man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment,

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would it be known they died again, for example the widow's son, is there any clues in the bible

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But oh yes they were resurrected, and appeared in Jerusalem to many to prove the resurrection is real.

Did that mean they lived on earth and died again? I'll almost bet... that's what you are thinking, since you can't seem to understand this because of your 'fleshy' mind getting in the way.

The resurrection is to a "spiritual body", a body like the angels have, which is the "image of the heavenly" Paul spoke of. So if you're not here on earth in a flesh body, then you are in the heavenly dimension with a spirit body. The idea of being asleep is a metaphor for those in Christ who have died; it does not mean they are actually sleeping in a casket out in the backyard.
We disagree on this Davy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Answers I give Wrangler are in response to what was said by the one I am replying to, not necessarily the topic of the thread if it has evolved.

You are quite correct sir, there were nine recorded resurrections in the Bible, of course these had nothing to do with the first or following resurrection spoken of in Revelation, especially since Revelation was penned long after the fact, and their resurrection was only temporary, as they all died again Wrangler.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answers I give Wrangler are in response to what was said by the one I am replying to, not necessarily the topic of the thread if it has evolved.
... their resurrection was only temporary, as they all died again Wrangler.
I suspect that is the source of the confusion.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJV

28 Marvel not at this:
KJV

The 3rd example...

I believe in 3 resurrections, but not as pointed out here.

1) The "better resurrection" of those in Christ who will rule and reign with Christ -- this is a spiritual body. These are his Kings and Priests (Revelation 1:6) who will teach the rest of the world during the millennium the way of God. A greater salvation will result.

2) The general resurrection after the millennium. These are people never saved nor lost, and yet never heard the true gospel. For example, these may be people before the time of Christ or maybe babies that died before they could make a decision. The result will be the "Great White Throne judgement" where books (of the Bible) will be opened and people will have their FIRST CHANCE at salvation they never knew. It's a mini millennium after the 1000 years where people are raised physically for this trial and judgement period
3) Then there is the resurrection of the unjust (like Hitler) who made their choice very clearly to be evil and their fate is to perish in the Lake of Fire. I believe that the fire is none other than God's Spirit in which no physical man can stand but be burnt up. I have no problem if God's Spirit would cause other conflagration such as the heavens and Earth to make a new one, but the fire of the Earth to come is that lake of fire by God's Spirit to destroy all evil. For those facing this fate, it's a terribly fearful and agonizing time for them. As for God's Spirit, it reminds me of what John the Baptist said he will Baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. And again, our God is an all-consuming fire. So evil will be annihilated and the New heaven and Earth will be pure. Outside are the unbelievers, the adulterers, and other evil people who perished in eternal fire. This is truly eternal punishment as such people are destroyed completely without any hope of any resurrection and they will be as if they have never been.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

DLNT
And having come out from the tombs after His resurrection, they entered into the holy city and appeared to many.

EXB
They came out of the graves after ·Jesus was raised from the dead [L his resurrection] and went into the holy city [C Jerusalem], where they appeared to many people.
GNV
And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
GW
They came out of the tombs after he had come back to life, and they went into the holy city where they appeared to many people.

MSG
At that moment, the Temple curtain was ripped in two, top to bottom. There was an earthquake, and rocks were split in pieces. What’s more, tombs were opened up, and many bodies of believers asleep in their graves were raised. (After Jesus’ resurrection, they left the tombs, entered the holy city, and appeared to many.)

NLV
After Jesus was raised from the grave, these arose from their graves and went into Jerusalem, the Holy City. These were seen by many people.

Matthew 27:50-53

J.B. Phillips New Testament

47-50 Some of those who were standing there heard these words which Jesus spoke in Aramaic—Eli (or Eloi), Eli lama sabachthani?, and said, “This man is calling for Elijah!” And one of them ran off and fetched a sponge, soaked it in vinegar and put it on a long stick and held it up for him to drink. But the others said, “Let him alone! Let’s see if Elijah will come and save him.” But Jesus gave one more great cry, and died.
51-53 And the sanctuary curtain in the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The ground shook, rocks split and graves were opened. (A number of bodies of holy men who were asleep in death rose again. They left their graves after Jesus’ resurrection and entered the holy city and appeared to many people.)
Read full chapter

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If those in their graves were not resurrected that proves that the dead are alive in hades.

Now the rest of the story, He took the O.T. Saints to heaven with him.

CEB
That’s why scripture says, When he climbed up to the heights, he captured prisoners, and he gave gifts to people.

CEV
As the Scriptures say, “When he went up to the highest place, he led away many prisoners and gave gifts to people.”

EXB
That is why it says in the Scriptures, “When he ·went up [ascended] to the heights, he ·led a parade of captives [or took captives into captivity], and he gave gifts to people [Ps. 68:18].”

NLV
The Holy Writings say, “When Christ went up to heaven, He took those who were held with Him. He gave gifts to men.”

RSV
Therefore it is said, “When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men.”

WE
So then, the holy writings say, `When Christ went up to heaven he took those he had won with him. And he gave gifts to men.'

Ephesians 4:8-10
King James Version
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Part 2

Matthew 27:52
The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised,

1 Thessalonians 3:13
so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.

Revelation 1:8
English Standard Version
8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”