Open Source And Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many of you can say that open source is used at your church or in a ministry you know of/are involved with?I'm curious about this, because I see churches and folks buying Microsoft Office, for instance, when Open Office can be downloaded and installed for free.

LanceEh

Feb 23, 2009
I've used Wordpress, but I don't know if you would call would I do a personal ministry.God bless.

Gregory Eugene

Jan 22, 2011
Wayne County, MI
I completely see where you're coming from. We should be very conscious of how the money in the church is spent. I think sometimes we forget that it's God's money and just look at it as the churches revenue stream.

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
I completely see where you're coming from. We should be very conscious of how the money in the church is spent. I think sometimes we forget that it's God's money and just look at it as the churches revenue stream.

I've been running Ubuntu/Linux on both my computers since early '08 and I do all my ministry on open source. I'm busy converting all I can but inside the church building, it gets tough because we have HP employees.

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
Open office is good stuff, but lacks the cooperate features that MS office does, so a large church may benefit from office. But for simply handling office documents you can't bet open office for free.

If the church is using MS office they should inform members about open office to avoid the cost of buying MS office to utilize power point, word and excel documents.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
I agree, I hate the abuse of money. Some of it is just ignorance, they'll buy Word, Excel, etc... Brand recognition.

But sometimes you need the corporate features in it (like bigger churches could use). Fact is nothing beats Office from a corporate as well as interface standpoint (Open Office is the old 90's interface).

Office 2007 and 2010 have been proven to save much cost and time simply because of their easier interface, and if you're working with volunteers, etc, sometimes it's better to spend money for something easier for them than something free but hard to use.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I think people in general have to realize there's something out there more than just Microsoft and Mac's just as there are more places that sell burgers than McDonalds and Burger King.

I have two small android "computers" and Live Linux CD all 3 that I use when I want to avoid viruses as it is impossible to get one especially in the last case. The old Microsoft computers here in the house days are numbered. When mine breaks down, I'm going to build anther computer with Ubuntu on it.

I agree with the OP. I think Microsoft has been giving us overpriced crap for too long now and there is some wonderful open source stuff out there. I think people are reluctant to change, but Linux for example has gotten really GUI friendly (much like Windows). You don't have to be intimidated any longer or be a "geek" to operate it.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I think people in general have to realize there's something out there more than just Microsoft and Mac's just as there are more places that sell burgers than McDonalds and Burger King.

I have two small android "computers" and Live Linux CD all 3 that I use when I want to avoid viruses as it is impossible to get one especially in the last case. The old Microsoft computers here in the house days are numbered. When mine breaks down, I'm going to build anther computer with Ubuntu on it.

I agree with the OP. I think Microsoft has been giving us overpriced crap for too long now and there is some wonderful open source stuff out there. I think people are reluctant to change, but Linux for example has gotten really GUI friendly (much like Windows). You don't have to be intimidated any longer or be a "geek" to operate it.

Where did you get a stable version of Ubuntu Lynux? Every time I've tried it I get video problems.

I'm disgusted with Windows Vista and now 7. My wife bought an apple and she loves it. It may be my turn to buy an apple next time.