Organised Religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

you pray and do it the best you feel led to.. everyone is looking for the perfect church with the perfect pastor run the perfect way.

i am a pastor full responsibility falls to ME . one i dont do religion . i preach the word yes there had better be some structure /organization . i study the message out i then preach what GOD gives me. for those who left the Church i invite you to open up your own Church . i try to leave room for the holy Spirit to speak. for those who feel they know how it should be done.. i invite you to pastor a church . open the doors and hope and pray people show up. hope and pray there is enough offering to pay the bills. try it you will soon see just how easy it it

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the stuffiness of organised religion
what is stuffiness of org religion? i have no problem with catholics or apostolic . lets say the catholic taught preached catholic doctrine in the church . would it have been accepted as gospel ? how about apostolic oneness doctrine ? no trinity baptized into salvation speaking in tongues shows your saved and have the Holy Ghost. i am trying to get clarity of stuffiness of org religion and this fresh approach

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
as in what it does sound like you had a bad church experience. Once again clarity
I have been very blessed in the churches I have belonged to. First an Anglican church after I became a Christian and then the non-denominational church I described.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then the non-denominational church I described.
even non denoms have structure you cant have 30 different leaders teaching 30 different things . where is the stuffiness of org religion

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
what is stuffiness of org religion? i have no problem with catholics or apostolic . lets say the catholic taught preached catholic doctrine in the church . would it have been accepted as gospel ? how about apostolic oneness doctrine ? no trinity baptized into salvation speaking in tongues shows your saved and have the Holy Ghost. i am trying to get clarity of stuffiness of org religion and this fresh approach
Organised religion prevents the spontaneity of the Holy Spirit. By stuffiness I mean the repetitiveness of the order of service, every week the same. The attitudes of those who want to keep things the same and oppose any move towards the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Keturah and Nancy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As I was reading earlier this evening a phrase in my book caught my attention and caused me to think.

The phrase was ‘organised religion’ and I began to wonder if that, in fact, is what is wrong with today’s churches – too much organisation and not enough spontaneity as we let the Holy Spirit lead.

I think a lot of it has to do with churches have gotten away from what made the church n the first century. They can’t even get breaking bread correct. It has become more of a production rather than an ekklesia..

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure it can be very difficult leading a church, especially if you are are the only pastor. When the church I sort of belong to got started it was in peoples homes and made up of those fed up with 'organised religion'. It embraced Christians right across the board, from Brethren to Catholics and every denomination in between.

The vision was to live as the New Testament example of church, sharing and being a community - not living together but sharing and caring. There were originally four leaders with different responsibilities, A preacher, a pastor. a worship leader and an administrator. None of them formally trained but all of them men of faith. There were also a number of deacons with the care of designated smaller groups and then house group leaders with the care of the twelve or so people in their midweek groups.

The preaching and teaching was totally bible based and we were encouraged to check it out for ourselves during the week. We were also allowed to come to the front and share what God we were hearing from God with the church.

It was wonderful after the stuffiness of organised religion to have this fresh approach and to feel spiritually well fed but wanting more each week.

Then gradually things started to change as more people - mostly men - wanted more say in things. Men who were not preachers were allowed to preach, most of them I think satisfying their own egos. And the downward spiral had begun. Sad, the vision was lost but the same people carried on just doing the same old, same old. So I don't go anymore.

Reactions: Nancy

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think a lot of it has to do with churches have gotten away from what made the church n the first century. They can’t even get breaking bread correct. It has become more of a production rather than an ekklesia..
a good pastor friend of mine once said the Church had a better band than the rock bands did.. when we focus more on praise and worship than the preaching of the word. Churches lose focus. its hard time for churches they have not recovered from the shut down from covid

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a good pastor friend of mine once said the Church had a better band than the rock bands did.. when we focus more on praise and worship than the preaching of the word. Churches lose focus. its hard time for churches they have not recovered from the shut down from covid
They are trying to get people back at whatever means..

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
even non denoms have structure you cant have 30 different leaders teaching 30 different things . where is the stuffiness of org religion
Structure is not the same as organised religion, which in its various guises mainly prefers tradition over spontaneity.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is another issue. Jesus sent them out in two’s. Not ones/ Paul went out with people. Not himself

God never intended one person be in charge.. of a church. Or the church
there has to be a leader . the pastor is in charge of the preaching it is he who stands in greater judgment for what he teaches. it was peter who preached at Pentecost. paul started Churches then placed a leader. the cong has a say in the functions of the Church

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
there has to be a leader . the pastor is in charge of the preaching it is he who stands in greater judgment for what he teaches. it was peter who preached at Pentecost. paul started Churches then placed a leader. the cong has a say in the functions of the Church
The pastor should be the shepherd, caring for the flock, so that the preacher can concentrate on preaching.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were leaders. Not a leader

a leader is dangerous in the fact they can become tempted and has no checks and balances. I have been to many churches over this country where the pastors would make sure only yes men were nominated for deacons..

My church has multiple leaders. Even our home groups have 4 leaders (2 men and 2 women) who pastor the flock (the women pastor the women, the men the men).

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The pastor should be the shepherd, caring for the flock, so that the preacher can concentrate on preaching.
umm the pastor is the shepherd/preacher you are getting into the office of the Deacons

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but are they still making disciples? Some must but with the concentration on people pleasing it can't be good.
They all want huge churches.. A pastor can not pastor his flock when there are hundreds in his flock..

Jesus disciples 12 men, with a few who would walk with them. Yet we have pastors who think they can pastor 50 - 100 or even more..

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl