Origins, Objectives and Understandings.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Every culture has its story of beginnings....some mythological, some based on perceived recorded history, some on 'scientific discoveries' etc etc.
One thing is certain; whatever our view, it effects how we join the dots ie, how we see objectives and how we understand.

In my view, Jesus, the big divider of human history like no other gives me perspective.

Do I have the courage and self honesty to question my assumptions? Does asking questions re my assumptions qualify them as anything, true or untrue?

We have all built our house of cards and know instinctively that if a base card fails, the rest will topple with it.

Is it any wonder we battle tooth and nail to support even the most fragile positions?
Our constructions are connected with our ego's and Jesus knows this; he says in Luke 20:18 'Everyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed'

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every culture has its story of beginnings....some mythological, some based on perceived recorded history, some on 'scientific discoveries' etc etc.
One thing is certain; whatever our view, it effects how we join the dots ie, how we see objectives and how we understand.

In my view, Jesus, the big divider of human history like no other gives me perspective.

Do I have the courage and self honesty to question my assumptions? Does asking questions re my assumptions qualify them as anything, true or untrue?

We have all built our house of cards and know instinctively that if a base card fails, the rest will topple with it.

Is it any wonder we battle tooth and nail to support even the most fragile positions?
Our constructions are connected with our ego's and Jesus knows this; he says in Luke 20:18 'Everyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed'

Egoes can always be transformed by dying to the flesh. This is the encouragement there. We all have let our egoes get the best of us at times. The good news is we are forgiven in Christ Jesus and can guard our thoughts and actions. We can build our house on a rock like a wise man and carefully place each piece in Christ for a firm foundation.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Indeed, all the more reason to submit ourselves to the correction of our brethren from throughout the last 2000 years..

Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ

Pax et Bonum!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Indeed, all the more reason to submit ourselves to the correction of our brethren from throughout the last 2000 years..

Pax et Bonum!
would you submit yourself to somebody you didn't agree with Phillip?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Pax et Bonum!
Are not those "brethren" of the last 2000 years just as prone to error as we? Are they not equally reliant on the holy Spirit as we? Can not the holy Spirit speak with us as well as they? But ultimately one must ask, are our brethren the final arbiter of truth, or the word of God?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
would you submit yourself to somebody you didn't agree with Phillip?

Hello quietthinker,

If i disagree with what my brothers and sisters have held as true for 2000 years, then yes, it is I who must conform my thinking to what the Holy Spirit has spoken through them, for 'we have the mind of Christ' .

For example, for 2000 years the Church has recognized the celebration of the Eucharist as the fulfillment of Malachi 1:11.
It would surely be hubris for me to contradict that based on my own understanding..

Pax et Bonum!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are not those "brethren" of the last 2000 years just as prone to error as we?

Individually yes, but 'we have the mind of Christ' is a communal we..

The Holy Spirit does not contradict Himself!

Pax et Bonum!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pax et Bonum!
"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." Phil 2:3

Reactions: Philip James

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello quietthinker,

If i disagree with what my brothers and sisters have held as true for 2000 years, then yes, it is I who must conform my thinking to what the Holy Spirit has spoken through them, for 'we have the mind of Christ' .

For example, for 2000 years the Church has recognized the celebration of the Eucharist as the fulfillment of Malachi 1:11.
It would surely be hubris for me to contradict that based on my own understanding..

Pax et Bonum!
so you would violate your conscience in order to fall in line with the consensus of the majority....in this case your church?

Reactions: bbyrd009

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The human mind and the human belief system, church can be shaken, philosophy can be shaken whatever else you can think of, that can be shaken can be.

Can be shaken down to the ground, like you suggest to the house of Cards.

“This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of things that are shaken—that is, things that have been made—in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭ESV‬‬

The only thing that stands is the things that can not be shaken.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello @quietthinker , what exactly are you asking here?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Egoes can always be transformed by dying to the flesh. This is the encouragement there. We all have let our egoes get the best of us at times. The good news is we are forgiven in Christ Jesus and can guard our thoughts and actions. We can build our house on a rock like a wise man and carefully place each piece in Christ for a firm foundation.
@Mayflower: Reminds me also of: "...I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2.20).

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so you would violate your conscience in order to fall in line with the consensus of the majority....in this case your church?

Violate my concience?

No, rather properly inform my concience by submitting to the correction of my brothers and sisters..

Pax et Bonum!