other bible jws use.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
If you want me to clarify things in that regard, I'd be happy to.
If not, that's cool too. (But default I guess people aren't interested).

I'm not here to be proselytized at or to proselytize at anyone. I joined this board because I honestly greatly enjoy talking from people with all sorts of different views. I try to regularly attend churches beside my own for this reason as well, but lately scheduling has limited my IRL ability to visit people. Hence more trying to get out digitally. I find seeing these different views to greatly increase my own reflections, my understanding of other people, my love for other people, and just honestly.... *Jane struggles to find the right word here*.... watching diverse people's sing "Joy to the World" and celebrate God brings a huge smile to my face.
:)

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Probably because if they knew he was posting here for his own reasons, and not to spread watchtower dogma, he would be disfellowshiped.

He doesn't need to mention he's posting here. All he needs to ask is:

'I notice in the introduction to The New World Translation that it states the NWT was translated by the "New World Bible Translation Committee". I'd like to know, for my own interest, who was on this Committee. Did they know Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek languages of the Bible?'​

This will assist him to know if the NWT committee consists of people who knew the biblical languages and were able to translate accurately.

Oz

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I would like to know their names and their qualifications in biblical languages to understand if they were capable of providing an accurate translation, using the original languages.

Isn't that a reasonable request?
i am sorry i don't have the names.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i don't question my watchtower i trust it.

Michael,

I'd like to encourage you to question whether the Watchtower can be trusted in giving the names of translators of the NWT and their qualifications in linguistics.

Could the Watchtower be trusted as an organisation, or does it need to be questioned?

This is what the NWT encourages you to do with any and all teaching:

10 Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roeʹa. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so (Acts 17:10-11 NWT, emphasis added).​

Here the Beroeans/Bereans accepted the word preached by Paul and Silas but they were 'carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so'.

The Bereans did not blindly accept what Paul and Silas preached. They compared the teaching with the Scriptures to see whether P & S were preaching the truth of the Word.

That's what I need to do and your own Bible encourages you to do the same.

Since you can trust the Watchtower, why don't you trust it to provide you with the names and linguistic qualifications of the translators of the NWT?

Oz

Last edited:

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i am sorry i don't have the names.

Michael,

However, you could obtain the names by asking the organisation to provide them to you, along with qualifications in the biblical languages.

This is important because if translators don't know the grammar and syntax of a language, they can lead us astray with translations that are not true to the original languages.

I've checked JW.org online and I can't locate the members of the Translation Committee. Your organisation would know their names.

Why don't you ask them and share the names with us?

Oz

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
He doesn't need to mention he's posting here. All he needs to ask is:

'I notice in the introduction to The New World Translation that it states the NWT was translated by the "New World Bible Translation Committee". I'd like to know, for my own interest, who was on this Committee. Did they know Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek languages of the Bible?'​

This will assist him to know if the NWT committee consists of people who knew the biblical languages and were able to translate accurately.

Oz
Did the founder know greek or hebrew?

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Michael,

I'd like to encourage you to question whether the Watchtower can be trusted in giving the names of translators of the NWT and their qualifications in linguistics.

Could the Watchtower be trusted as an organisation, or does it need to be questioned?

This is what the NWT encourages you to do with any and all teaching:

10 Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roeʹa. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so (Acts 17:10-11 NWT, emphasis added).​

Here the Beroeans/Bereans accepted the word preached by Paul and Silas but they 'carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so'.

The Bereans did not blindly accept what Paul and Silas preached. They compared the teaching with the Scriptures to see whether P & S were preaching the truth of the Word.

That's what I need to do and your own Bible encourages you to do the same.

Oz
Its bad to ask questions

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Itself, John 10:35, among other places, as already cited, and further.

This is what John 10:35 states: 'If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken)....'

There is not a word in this verse that says the KJV is 'the perfectly preserved word of God'. You have imposed that meaning on the text.

Do you know what that action is called?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did the founder know greek or hebrew?

Michael,

My question did not relate to the founder of the JWs knowing Greek or Hebrew. However, since the JW organisation has translated a Bible, the translators need to have had an in-depth understanding of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Why can't you obtain their names to share here?

Oz

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
This is what John 10:35 states: 'If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken)....'

There is not a word in this verse that says the KJV is 'the perfectly preserved word of God'. You have imposed that meaning on the text.

no i don't

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Michael,

My question did not relate to the founder of the JWs knowing Greek or Hebrew. However, since the JW organisation has translated a Bible, the translators need to have had an in-depth understanding of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Oz

Hey do you fully understand and speak and write in all original bible languages

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Michael,

Oz

Lets say i did ask. What if they say to me "those names are classified"

You seem really eager to dig up dirt on jws

Are you part of some anti jw website.

You just want "evidence" to support your anti jw front

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. This is what the scripture (KJB) states:

Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Whatever you quoted, added to God's word, a parenthetical brackets, which if you understood why that is done, then you would understand John 10:35.

Real scripture, "cannot be broken". It self identified itself.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hey do you fully understand and speak and write in all original bible languages

Michael,

That is not what I asked, so your response is a red herring logical fallacy.

A red herring also is called changing the subject, clouding the issue.

Those who use it (and it's what you did with your response) make an attempt to redirect the argument to another issue with which they are more comfortable in responding. It's a deliberate diversion from the topic being pursued.

I urge you not to do that because it makes it impossible to have a logical discussion on the topic being pursued.

Please ask your organisation for the names and linguistic qualifications of the translation committee of the NWT.

Oz

Last edited: