Our desire for Holiness comes in the presence of almighty God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so when I say you cannot see or do not want to see it that is what I am talking about. Your view is a rooted assumption that biases your views, and it is hard to see that assumption at work in your perception.
And in this you are wrong.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a snide remark that i will ignore, and shows your own immaturity.
I spent some time considering whether I should write that or not, but I'm telling you my perceptions, and what they mean to me. It's anything but snide. Take it as you will. My hope is that it would cause you to reflect.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people brought up in Protestant thinking have this so ingrained in their thinking that all believers are saints, that they have a hard time seeing this distinction between them.

This is a total cop out.

I can make the exact same statement about anyone I want, should I want to, though I don't.

"you only believe that because it's how you were taught". Empty and meaningless.

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to understand how the Greek works.

I Understand how the Greek works, You assume I do not. If the intent was to use "even" then the translators would have done so, but they did not, How come?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in this you are wrong.

Every protestant sect, with the exception of the church of England teaches that all believers are saints. that is a fact.

I spent some time considering whether I should write that or not, but I'm telling you my perceptions, and what they mean to me. It's anything but snide. Take it as you will. My hope is that it would cause you to reflect.

Again, I will not comment on this because it is a rude insult from you, and shows your arrogance.

This is a total cop out.

I can make the exact same statement about anyone I want, should I want to, though I don't.

"you only believe that because it's how you were taught". Empty and meaningless.

Most people do not think for themselves, and this again is a fact, they just repeat what they were taught.

You divide the church into castes. Or rather, you claim God does.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You divide the church into castes. Or rather, you claim God does.

A Baseball team is made up of diverse players doing different things on the field, yet they are united in purpose. This is not a Caste system but just how the Body is constructed. Read 1 Corinthians 12 again.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Understand how the Greek works, You assume I do not. If the intent was to use "even" then the translators would have done so, but they did not, How come?
The way you base your doctrine on this interpretation of this verse tells me you don't take that into account.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, so to be clear, you recognize the dual use of "Kai", correct? That it can equally mean either, depending on the context?

For me, and this is one of the reasons why I like the King James Version as much as I do, I like the simplicity of it's translation. When you see "kai", you will generally read "and". When I see that word, I can pretty much know it's 'kai' when I look at the Greek.

I want consistency in translation, because the English word is representing a Greek word, and using the same word to consistently translate is the clearest way to represent the Greek text.

@Wrangler

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every protestant sect, with the exception of the church of England teaches that all believers are saints. that is a fact.

NO. What you said was,

David H. said:

so when I say you cannot see or do not want to see it that is what I am talking about. Your view is a rooted assumption that biases your views, and it is hard to see that assumption at work in your perception.

And in THIS you are wrong.

So you change the playing field. Why do you feel you have to do that?

Address what was written, or else why do you bother? Unless you are just throwing empty arguments at me for whatever reason, maybe to feel better, or to get me to shut up. I don't know.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people do not think for themselves, and this again is a fact, they just repeat what they were taught.
An over generalization. Empty and meaningless. Vain.

Sounds good to you I suppose, but does nothing for me. That includes you then also, right? Or do you mean to say, OTHER people don't think for themselves, while you do?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Baseball team is made up of diverse players doing different things on the field, yet they are united in purpose. This is not a Caste system but just how the Body is constructed. Read 1 Corinthians 12 again.
Different roles for the saints. You divide the Christian into saints and non-saints, and that is your version of a caste system.

You cannot point to a description of variations in ministries as it that divided Christians into saints and non-saints. Yes we have different roles. But that does not mean we are not saints.

A saint is another way of saying set apart for God. 1 Corinthians 12 tells us more about His plans for us, and how they are individualized. And this is in the context that we are in fact set apart for Him, and that's why He gives us these different roles.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And they are all "the team".

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not calling anyone a false prophet. There is a time to look at how a person acts, how they speak, in order to have understanding.

Matthew 7:15-20 KJV
15) Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16) Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17) Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18) A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19) Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20) Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

2 Peter 2:1 KJV
1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

God has told us, we should be aware.

Those who would be teachers are held to a higher standard.

James 3:1-2 KJV
1) My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
2) For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO. What you said was,

David H. said:

So you change the playing field. Why do you feel you have to do that?

Address what was written, or else why do you bother? Unless you are just throwing empty arguments at me for whatever reason, maybe to feel better, or to get me to shut up. I don't know.

Have you ever debated an atheist with ingrained assumptions? That is very similar to what I am talking about with this doctrine of saints being all believers. You have to dig to the root of these assumptions for the atheist to even begin to see that there is another way to see things that is viable.

Different roles for the saints. You divide the Christian into saints and non-saints, and that is your version of a caste system.

You cannot point to a description of variations in ministries as it that divided Christians into saints and non-saints. Yes we have different roles. But that does not mean we are not saints.

A saint is another way of saying set apart for God. 1 Corinthians 12 tells us more about His plans for us, and how they are individualized. And this is in the context that we are in fact set apart for Him, and that's why He gives us these different roles.

And they are all "the team".

Catchers in Baseball are the gritty hard nosed members of any team, they are often marred by injuries, and have their career shortened due to them. But a a baseball team is lost without them or even a with just a rookie catcher who has not been through the bumps and bruises. The Catchers are like the saints of the church. The Pitchers on the other hand are coddled, they pitch once every five or six games, are not allowed to bat or if they are many times they go up to bunt the ball, if they get on base they Put on a jacket, and or are pinch run for, just so they do not get injured. They are just as indispensible for the team as well as the catchers are, But they are protected. They are like the faithful. That is Paul's point in 1 Corinthians 12, that all are part of the same body even those who appear less honorable are all the more honorable. It is just envy inside of man that makes one not like this structure in the church.

The way God set up the church is in three stages of faith, the children, the young men, and the fathers(Elders). (1 John 2) This is also seen in the beatitudes in which you have three sets of three beatitudes each applying to these three stages of our faith journey. The last of those is the elders who deal with the things saints deal with. We are all on that same journey, but few of us are called to make that saintly sacrifice and receive the reward of a saint.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever debated an atheist with ingrained assumptions? That is very similar to what I am talking about with this doctrine of saints being all believers. You have to dig to the root of these assumptions for the atheist to even begin to see that there is another way to see things that is viable.

Just the same . . .

David H. said:

But it's a lot easier for you to attack your opponent than to show a Scriptural response. Claims of bias based in assumptions are a way to avoid profible discussion.

Catchers in Baseball are the gritty hard nosed members of any team, they are often marred by injuries, and have their career shortened due to them. But a a baseball team is lost without them or even a with just a rookie catcher who has not been through the bumps and bruises. The Catchers are like the saints of the church. The Pitchers on the other hand are coddled, they pitch once every five or six games, are not allowed to bat or if they are many times they go up to bunt the ball, if they get on base they Put on a jacket, and or are pinch run for, just so they do not get injured. They are just as indispensible for the team as well as the catchers are, But they are protected. They are like the faithful. That is Paul's point in 1 Corinthians 12, that all are part of the same body even those who appear less honorable are all the more honorable. It is just envy inside of man that makes one not like this structure in the church.

The way God set up the church is in three stages of faith, the children, the young men, and the fathers(Elders). (1 John 2) This is also seen in the beatitudes in which you have three sets of three beatitudes each applying to these three stages of our faith journey. The last of those is the elders who deal with the things saints deal with. We are all on that same journey, but few of us are called to make that saintly sacrifice and receive the reward of a saint.
Baseball teams?

Lets stay with the Bible.

Yes we mature. Yes we grow. No we are not divided into castes. No we are not bereft of Godly help until some future day.

That is Paul's point in 1 Corinthians 12, that all are part of the same body

Yes! Though we have different roles, we are NOT divided into your supposed castes.

Christ unites us, men divide us.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to convince me of anything . . . first, I don't accept that you have much maturity in the Lord, given how you act. How you speak to me. About me. Not just me, others. I've seen you do the same to others. It's just the way it is. You bury people in accusations of whatever when they contradict your teaching. That says a lot!

It tells me the practical application of your beliefs.

And alongside that . . .

While you claim you've presented Scriptural evidence, it's been so very thin. If you want to convince me, you will need to show the things you believe exegetically from the passages of the Bible.

That there is a former and latter rain, for instance, does not state that there will be a former and latter Pentacost Holy Spirit Universal Baptism. It's just not there in the Words. And it contradicts other places. If you want to convince me, show it to me in the Word.

Don't just give that cop-out, You won't see it, you can't see it, that's meaningless.

You wrote:

You read this passage as; "Here is some candy for you and you, it is for you" To me this makes no sense literarily and grammatically.

I don't really follow what you are saying here, for you and you, it is for you. I don't see how you connect this to the passage.

The passage is,

Ephesians 1:1-2 KJV
1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2) Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

View attachment 17232

In the interlinear version, you can see how it reads, "to the holy ones the ones being in ephesus and to believing in Christ Jesus"

You assert that "holy ones" and "believers in Christ Jesus" are two different groups.

You apply this reasoning:

That analogy is how I read Ephesians 1:1-2.... It is just common sense to me, "Here is some candy for you and your sister" "It is for both of you".

Here again I fail to see how this matches up to the passage.

To the holy ones in ephesus and to the believers in Christ Jesus, grace and peace.

It's that "kai" there between saints and believers, is it explicative, or additive? Does it name two different things? Or the same in different words? Either is a valid use of "kai".

So that renders the passage ambiguous on it's face, and we require other passages to determine which should be the reading.

Is this "Saints, and believers", or "Saints, even believers". Both are valid readings.

Are you with me so far?

Much love!
If you want to convince me of anything . . . first, I don't accept that you have much maturity in the Lord, given how you act. How you speak to me. About me. Not just me, others. I've seen you do the same to others. It's just the way it is. You bury people in accusations of whatever when they contradict your teaching. That says a lot!
Tell that to BB . He treats folks who wont agree with him like the the spawn of satan . Try telling this line
where it might do some good . Truth is , i dont see how on earth some of you all can agree with SOME of the things BB even says .
Used to be most folks would have at least said , if one lived in sin or fell away they never KNEW CHRIST .
But not ol BB . HE says one can rush right back into UNBELIEF and still they are saved . CORRECT that man my friend .
HE is dangerous . As much as i love ol BB , HE is very dangerous . Cause HE can spout a part of the gospel that is SPOT ON RIGHT
yet what he adds to it , DEADLY DANGEROUS . BUT i guess that is okay for most folks .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell that to BB . He treats folks who wont agree with him like the the spawn of satan . Try telling this line
where it might do some good . Truth is , i dont see how on earth some of you all can agree with SOME of the things BB even says .
Used to be most folks would have at least said , if one lived in sin or fell away they never KNEW CHRIST .
But not ol BB . HE says one can rush right back into UNBELIEF and still they are saved . CORRECT that man my friend .
HE is dangerous . As much as i love ol BB , HE is very dangerous . Cause HE can spout a part of the gospel that is SPOT ON RIGHT
yet what he adds to it , DEADLY DANGEROUS . BUT i guess that is okay for most folks .
You are my friend and I love you.

@Blood Bought 1953 may not have the most palettable manner. He's not like me, I know that. And maybe that's good, and maybe not, I'm not the judge.

I find that telling the children of God that they still have to fear the possibility of coming spiritual death to be debilitating to the faith that allows us to live godly lives.

Hebrews 2:11-15 KJV
11) For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12) Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
13) And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.
14) Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15) And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Tell me . . . should we still fear that we could yet die?

Much love!