Our Soul

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
nope as usual a so called Christian would rather guess, and speculate, then seek the Truth of God from the Word of God:

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mar_12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

note that Jesus who is the Word of God that was in the beginning with God, describes the soul as a separate thing from the mind and heart.

I'd appreciate it if you would stay off my thread if you can't be civil ~ thanks o_O

Reactions: Dcopymope and Job

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

but animals have hearts, anyone who has a pet dog knows that, and animals have a mind, but they aren't made to occupy God's place in the earth are they? and I don't see in scripture where God breathed into any other living thing other than man.

Reactions: Armadillo

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but animals have hearts, anyone who has a pet dog knows that, and animals have a mind, but they aren't made to occupy God's place in the earth are they? and I don't see in scripture where God breathed into any other living thing other than man.

You don't see it but I do and I bet @prashanthd does too.

Genesis 7
15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.

Do you see it now?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does everyone think our souls come from? Do you think that our soul came into existence at birth? Beforehand? What do you think?

Origen got excommunicated for suggesting pre-existence of the soul.....i always liked Origen; brilliant theologian in the early church. I do reject his idea about pre-existence however....i just dont see any evidence for it. Fun to think about, however

Reactions: Helen and Angelina

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet, many 19th century post-reformation groups, specifically LDS, embrace pre-existence into their theology so it is on peoples minds

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet, many 19th century post-reformation groups, specifically LDS, embrace pre-existence into their theology so it is on peoples minds

Would it be any better or worse if these groups were from the 20th century? 21st century? 4th century? Does it really matter, or count as to its legitimacy?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would it be any better or worse if these groups were from the 20th century? 21st century? 4th century? Does it really matter, or count as to its legitimacy?

No. Just interesting to see a cluster.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Just interesting to see a cluster.

Yeah well, I don't see a need to point out the time period of when a group with plainly heretical beliefs reared its ugly head. This idea of "pre-existence" is almost one smack in the face away from claiming reincarnation. It might as well be the same damn thing when you really think about it. Reincarnation is technically pre-existence is it not? That alone should be reason enough to dismiss it for the heresy it really is.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah well, I don't see a need to point out the time period of when a group with plainly heretical beliefs reared its ugly head. This idea of "pre-existence" is almost one smack in the face away from claiming reincarnation. It might as well be the same damn thing when you really think about it. Reincarnation is technically pre-existence is it not? That alone should be reason enough to dismiss it for the heresy it really is.

It is a persistent heresy, for certain.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a persistent heresy, for certain.

Made even more persistent by the new age movement, which is nothing but eastern mysticism given a new coat of poop. There is nothing new under the sun.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Made even more persistent by the new age movement, which is nothing but eastern mysticism given a new coat of poop. There is nothing new under the sun.

Indeed.

Yet, not as insidious as dualism, which has deep roots in even otherwise, orthodox theology.

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I

Indeed.

Yet, not as insidious as dualism, which has deep roots in even otherwise, orthodox theology.

Well, I see new ageism to be just as dangerous as dualism, since it basically also claims that there are two opposing forces working within the universe and all living things, equal in power called 'yin and yang'. This concept permeates many sects of new age philosophy, and it goes way, way back to a religion called "Taoism", which is considered the oldest religion on the planet. Which begs the question, did the concept of dualism truly get its roots from orthodox theology, or did it actually get its start from the philosophy and vain deceit of Satan's various pantheistic religions?

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When we stand before God. What part of us gets judged?

Jesus has been judged in our place and passed with flying colors.

Romans 2:16, This will take place on the day when God judges people's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I see new ageism to be just as dangerous as dualism, since it basically also claims that there are two opposing forces working within the universe and all living things, equal in power called 'yin and yang'. This concept permeates many sects of new age philosophy, and it goes way, way back to a religion called "Taoism", which is considered the oldest religion on the planet. Which begs the question, did the concept of dualism truly get its roots from orthodox theology, or did it actually get its start from the philosophy and vain deceit of Satan's various pantheistic religions?

Oh yeah, dualism was around long before Christianity. Personally, i think it is part of the curse of the Fall.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe that our spirit is/was part of God Himself...but the soul at conception...because the spirt cant 'return' of it was never there in the first place! From God we came, and to God we will return.

The spiritual body lives on, our spirit, not our soul. The spirit and the soul are separate.

1 Corinthians 15:44, it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

The spirit and the soul are separate, it's our spirit that goes to be with the Lord when we die a physical death.

2 Corinthians 5:8, We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

If you don't differentiate between the soul and the spirit, then you must expect your natural body to be resurrected, and that isn't going to happen.

Our soul is our emotions.

Psalms 13:2, How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart?

Animals, of course, have a soul too but they aren't conscious of God. Christ came as a life-giving spirit for man, not animals and gives man, not animals eternal life by His Spirit. The Holy Spirit moves into and sets up house for all those who believe by faith.

1 Corinthians 15:45, So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam, (JESUS) a life-giving spirit.

I would be thrilled if my cat was playing in the tall grass in heaven, soaking up the sunshine, what a sweet soul he was but with the Bible interpreting the Bible, it hurts to say he isn't.

Reactions: Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More like the lie that caused the fall.

I totally agree!

And the drama of playing out the lie cast the dye, for our compulsion to label Gods good creation good and bad according to our own benefit.