Painted black

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Why is there a community of Christian's who are persuaded in tattooing their bodies for Jesus?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
From a pragmatic perspective, tattoos work effectively as conversation-starters. Nurses use theirs for this purpose all the time.

Heart2Soul said:
it is becoming a norm with health professionals.

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged
source: allnurses dot com

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. They are usually great conversation starters with old and young alike. If I have a patient with tattoos I always comment and then they want to see .. In the hospital that I work at you would be hard pressed to find employees without tattoos.. We even have significantly older nurses that .. have tattoos.
allnurses dot com

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
From a pragmatic perspective, tattoos work effectively as conversation-starters. Nurses use theirs for this purpose all the time.
Conversation starters could be anything from wearing a fish for a hat to the pimple on your nose.

The attempt to silence conscience as a Christian from the directive of not defacing the body made in God's image is its promotion.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Far enough. But what does the Bible say about tattooing your body?
In the OT it speaks in Leviticus about cutting for the dead and not printing marks next to a verse which seems to say about not trimming/marring beards. Most Christians would say that they are not bound to imitate OT Jews with bushy beards; being a New Testament believer under grace, pursing Gospel testimony opportunities is different drastically from being OT Jews in the land under the law. But if someone does indeed have a conscience against getting a tattoo, then this should be respected indeed also.

In the Bible, with the complete New Testament, saving faith in the Lord Jesus and His work at the Cross for sinners is a real key concept: John 3.16; Romans 5.1; Hebrews 11.1-12.2, etc.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
In the OT it speaks in Leviticus about cutting for the dead and not printing marks next to a verse which seems to say about not trimming/marring beards. Most Christians would say that they are not bound to imitate OT Jews with bushy beards; being a New Testament believer under grace, pursing Gospel testimony opportunities is different drastically from being OT Jews in the land under the law. But if someone does indeed have a conscience against getting a tattoo, then this should be respected indeed also.

In the Bible, with the complete New Testament, saving faith in the Lord Jesus and His work at the Cross for sinners is a real key concept: John 3.16; Romans 5.1; Hebrews 11.1-12.2, etc.
Do you know the reason behind the commandment in the Old Testament for not cutting/marking your body?