Partial Cessationism: What is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
This is from a thread that was immolated because users were beginning to run amok with wild accusations, but the crux of the matter bears some continued discussion.

I know I am in the minority here at CyB with a view of Partial Cessationism, but before everyone goes off half cocked on a witch hunt with pitchfork and torch, continue reading (I pick up from my post from the thread that was lost):

Paul told us (you know, the Paul from the Bible) that tongues would cease, and they have. But rather than snowjob the forum with a lengthy cut and paste I will provide a link for those interested to follow that explains quite reasonable, simply, and scripturally, why we must come to the conclusion the author does.

http://new.bereanbib...-tongues-cease/

rand

Sep 10, 2012
Everyone, no matter what their point of view, or what their belief, or what their theology is, they always say, 'that's what the bible teaches.'
Everyone who has a theology believes their theology is the right one.

I grew up not believing in tongues (nor other spiritual gifts), but one day it happened to me. It was not out of the blue, though. I prayed for it. If it was real, I wanted it and I wanted everything that went with it. after praying for a couple of months--only half heartedly--I woke up speaking in tongues. I don't know what I was saying but something inside of me that i didn't understand at the time, was telling me I was quoting the book of Habakkuk. I didn't even know there was a book of habakkuk.

The people who don't believe in these gifts are for today, also don't believe that's exactly what God said He would pour out in the last days. They also don't believe that these signs are to accompany the gospel, and give witness to the gospel. They don't have the gift, so it must not be true. Not that they are greeving the Holy Spirit or quenching the Spirit, no, they are way too wise for that. They think they teach the same gospel that paul taught, but when Paul gave the gospel, people had faith for healing--they don't believe that kind of gospel.

The same verse they use to teach those gifts haved stoped, also say the knowledge will stop, prophecy will stop. More and more Jews are coming to Christ because of prophecy, and we all know knowledge is not ceased either, not yet.

They say they believe they are ambassadors of Christ but don't believe they are from the King's Domain (kingdom), they believe that's where they will go one day. They say the believe they can do all things through Christ, but they can't prophecy. They say they believe all Christ's teaching but they can't move mountians in Jesus' name--that's not what He meant when He said we could mountains in Jesus' name. Basically, they believe that Christ taught the apostles things that were not meant for us.

Anyway, You can't argue them in to spirituality, they have to open themselves up to the Holy Spirit so He can show Himself to them. Until then, they will continue to walk in the flesh and have to be satisfied knowing that if the Holy Spirit was to leave all of the sudden, nothing in their church would change--things would go on like normal. It's sad, but it is what it is.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
As a monergist, I know simply that I can not open anyone up to the Holy Spirit. That is the exclusive work of the Father. He draws someone to Christ and through Christ the Holy Spirit is received. You appear to have it the other way around with the Holy Spirit first.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Anyway, You can't argue them in to spirituality, they have to open themselves up to the Holy Spirit so He can show Himself to them. Until then, they will continue to walk in the flesh and have to be satisfied knowing that if the Holy Spirit was to leave all of the sudden, nothing in their church would change--things would go on like normal. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Never heard it put that way. You are right, that is very sad.

God's Word is meant to be believed on and then experienced until objective truth becomes subjective.

Act_19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Axehead

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
As a monergist, I know simply that I can not open anyone up to the Holy Spirit. That is the exclusive work of the Father. He draws someone to Christ and through Christ the Holy Spirit is received. You appear to have it the other way around with the Holy Spirit first.

Hey BA...I agree with you here....I believe the bible supports the position that one cannot come to to the Father, unless drawn. The whole idea about the gospel of grace is that all glory goes to God...if we could claim we came to God ourselves, knowing our need for him, that is something we could glory in ourselves.

As far as your earlier post, that 1 Cor 13:8 supports that at a time 'tongues' and 'prophecy' will cease, can I ask how you then understand the verses that come next?

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
(1 Corinthians 13:8-12 ESV)

To me, this seems to suggest that when these things 'cease' that it will because the perfect has come to replace the tongues and prophecies that only give us 'glimpses' of all. What do you think?

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
“whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away” (1 Cor. 13:8). [sup]1[/sup]

They took this verse right out of context right away. The prophecies failed because they were false. The tongues will cease when everyone is speaking the same language (in Christ's Kingdom). The Knowledge that vanishes away was false.

The darkness of divisive men will flee at the return of Christ our Lord.

10But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Otherwise it doesn't.

You have to walk in the Light. It is a walk. It is work. It requires continuing to talk to God all the time. You mus keep asking Him to fill you with His Spirit.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I agree SoM, they have taken this verse out of context but not because prophecy, tongues or knowledge were false...but because this entire verse is about fruit that lasts rather than the gifts used to fulfill a purpose - which are temporary...

One of the key elements that I believe they [per the article] have forgotten... is that all these gifts are from the Holy Spirit who resides in those who believe by faith and they were executed as the Lord wills. However, 1 Corinthians 13:8-10, speaks of those who are being perfected in love. Growing up from childhood, to adulthood. 1 Corinthians 13:11-12

Tongues, prophecy and the gift of knowledge were used to bring many to Christ as a sign but as we mature, we know longer need these things to convince us because the love of Jesus is being perfected in our hearts.

That does not mean that these gifts have ceased, in a sense, but rather that we have matured... :)

"13. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

PS: I also agree with your line of thinking Rach because Jesus is perfect already...

Hebrews 5
[sup]8 [/sup]though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. [sup]9 [/sup]And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

Hebrews 9
[sup]27 [/sup]Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, [sup]28 [/sup]so Christ was sacrificed once[sup] [/sup]to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time,[sup] [/sup]not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Shalom!!!