Pastor Sues over Bourbon Street Preaching Ban

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Street preachers in New Orleans are fighting a city ordinance banning "aggressive solicitation" on Bourbon Street.
The new rule restricts religious or political speech after dark on the popular street, known for being home to racy Mardi Gras celebrations.
Assembly of God Pastor Paul Gros said police asked him to leave or face arrest while he preached on Bourbon Street with his wife in May.
Although he left without being taken into custody, several other preachers were arrested about a month ago during a gay pride festival.
The American Center for Law and Justice is now representing Gros, in hopes of putting an end to the ordinance.
"A government body may not exclude or restrict the speech of private parties for the sole reason that the speech is religious or contains a religious perspective," ACLJ attorneys wrote in a letter to the city. "This is a fundamental proposition of constitutional law."
The city council adopted the ordinance in October 2011. Violating the ordinance can lead to up to six months in jail and a $500 fine.
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2012/September/Pastor-Sues-over-Bourbon-Street-Preaching-Ban/

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Good luck with that, and can't blame them for at least trying. With some areas of the world, one can only shake the dust from their feet and let God take care of the rest. Lot of good people in New Orleans. But there's also a lot of voodoo and witchcraft practice there too. Makes sense why some occult fraternities would choose that place to hold a world convention with occultists meeting from all over the world.

tgwprophet

Jul 9, 2011
Lehigh Acres, Florida
I wonder.....
are the police just as apt to arrest a voodoist, a mysitic, a pshchic, a pagan or a witch promoting their beliefs on bourbon street?
My gut feeling is.. nope.

Now, the really amazing aspect I see is; Why are these police even thinking about arresting a Christian teacher
let alone actually doing it? Pier pressure cannot be so great that police do no understand this is wrong to enforce, unless the police are so brainwashed by the government that they do not knoww right from wrong, Or they are so inclined to maintain there monetary status quo that they can care less about God.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I've been there for a wedding and saw the street preachers there. They were just standing there in the street holding a big white cross. Their presence was in stark contrast to the drunken debauchery elsewhere on the street.

This city ordinance needs to be repealed. There also needs to be a law making it treasonous to create unconstitutional city ordinances. Let it be a federal crime punishable by a jail sentence for a representative to vote in favor of such ordinances.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yet another example of American cultural bias against the gospel of Jesus Christ. The United States has sewn the wind and shall reap the whirlwind of divine judgment.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Jul 6, 2011
In the UK we have had a number of preachers arrested for criticising same-sex practice publically. Most have resulted in release and even compensation because it is lawful for publically criticise any sexual practice. So it is lawful even though some dont want it to be.

We have had a case where an employee was urging his colleagues to support one man/one woman marriage, which is the current law, and got suspended because it is against the company's diversity policy. And we had a case where the Law Society allowed a gay marriage debate but not a one man/woman debate because it is against their diversity policy. ie they didnt allow support for the currrent law; ie their diversity policy doesnt allow for the current law.

So we see that if some secular liberals dont like certain laws, the overule them with their diversity policies, which of course are no longer diversity as soon as they do so.

If people cant expect the law to be upheld... well.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Im rejoicing in this because of 2 things
1. Jesus is returning soon!
2. We are beginning to share in the persecution of Jesus for the advancement of the gospel
I say keep preaching borthers and sisters regardless or fines, beatings, death, etc. keep going!

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Im rejoicing in this because of 2 things
1. Jesus is returning soon!
2. We are beginning to share in the persecution of Jesus for the advancement of the gospel
I say keep preaching borthers and sisters regardless or fines, beatings, death, etc. keep going!

AMEN!!