Paul And The Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Well for harmony's the maybe the Mexicans will come over to U.S. side to build while the Americans go over to the Mexican side to build. Is this what you mean by working both ways?:D
Hegelian dialectic... Opposing sides rubbing up against one another... Thesis-antithesis and the result...a wall.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hegelian dialectic... Opposing sides rubbing up against one another... Thesis-antithesis and the result...a wall.
And all of this of little or no consequence as far as spiritual and eternal matters are concerned. Philosophy -- according to Paul -- is vanity.

B

brakelite

And all of this of little or no consequence as far as spiritual and eternal matters are concerned. Philosophy -- according to Paul -- is vanity.
Except that is how the world is run these days. And to understand it, means we can make sense of much of what is going on and making sense of what is going on removes the confusion that so many experience when they observe all that is taking place around them. That is why we have radical groups on the left and right seemingly aimlessly punching the air... Even less radical like Democrat and Republican... Why cannot either side actually produce something lasting and beneficial? They are not meant to. They are merely thesis/antithesis. The NWO will be the synthesis. That is why I it is useless to vote.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well for harmony's the maybe the Mexicans will come over to U.S. side to build while the Americans go over to the Mexican side to build. Is this what you mean by working both ways?:D
A bit like how the Chinese flock to Australia to live while we send all the Australian jobs to China... go figure

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Does that offend your sense of self sufficiency?
not at all bl, i just mean it really isn't saying anything but invoking an ideal apropos of nothing? Iow Hitler prolly said the same thing?
As far as spiritual empowerment is concerned, if we have faith, we can do anything. Want to remove a mountain? Just ask Jesus.
well, wadr imo you just made an oxymoron in two sentences is all you did there. But if Jesus ever moves any mountains for you, or btw picks up your cross and follows Himself for you too, lemme know ok. Mountains were moved contemporary with that statement by Jesus btw; and His ref would have been understood by everyone then fwiw. The mountain was even cast into the sea and everything

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Your cynicism of the modern church I can understand to some extent.
really my chief complaint there is in our varying defs of "Church" bl
Doesn't mean though that we dont need a saviour.
i would never disagree bl, and if it seems like i have i have almost surely been misunderstood ok. One can light candles and burn incense to Nehushtan or partake in Christ though ok, and Jesus obv IDed Himself with both. You goto doctors, right; you might look at that little gizmo on their lapel if you haven't already, and understand how clearly your exact position is declared by your deeds, bl

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A bit like how the Chinese flock to Australia to live while we send all the Australian jobs to China... go figure
Before men can really find the right solution, I would guess they would have to know what the problem is. That is man's world.
The solution that God provides is to all problems, but even Christians try to work it out for themselves instead of going always to Him.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya, sure, we can cooperate on building a wall, right?
narf
You slap on some mortar and I'll place the bricks. We'll be done before we know it. If the Mexicans help the work will progress twice as fast.

Last edited:

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You reference the idea of salvation very often. Why is that? Are you assuming that I am saying that we are saved through law keeping? When have I said that?
All my posts on this thread speak of obedience. The question is, are we obliged to obey God's commandments, or not?

So keeping the law is not a commandment, or is it? Sound like double talk to me.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
this has absolute zero to do with philosophy, wadr; you currently function on the Hegelian dialectic, ergo it might be useful for you to understand what the term means, and that's all there is to that. A way to see yourself in a more truthful light

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So keeping the law is not a commandment, or is it? Sound like double talk to me.
You can't answer the simple question I've also asked you a few times.

NO ONE on this forum is saying that we are saved by works.
We are saved by grace THROUGH faith....

Here's @brakelite 's question again:
The question is, are we obliged to obey God's commandments, or not?

It's a simple question requiring a simple yes or no.
No double talk here that I could see...

Here's my answer: YES.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't answer the simple question I've also asked you a few times.

NO ONE on this forum is saying that we are saved by works.
We are saved by grace THROUGH faith....

Here's @brakelite 's question again:
The question is, are we obliged to obey God's commandments, or not?

It's a simple question requiring a simple yes or no.
No double talk here that I could see...

Here's my answer: YES.

If you say a person has to have works (obedience to commandments) then you are saying it is a requirement But you too want to dance around it.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If you say a person has to have works (obedience to commandments) then you are saying it is a requirement But you too want to dance around it.
How does a YES answer dance around it?
Why can't you just answer YES?
It is, after all, a commitment.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It has all to do with this,,

Rom 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
Rom 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Rom 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

They say that Salvation in Grace by faith, but than they add works to it, so no longer is it a free gift, because they are now paying for it. For one to keep the "law" one must work at it, Jesus was the only one that ever completed fulfilled, kept the law, so by "trying" to do what He has already done, they are mocking all the good works He did.

beacause

Luk_16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

as it says

Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

and again

Mat_9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

mixing the old and the new. the law, works, flesh with Grace spirit, rest

and again

Luk 5:38 But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.
Luk 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

Ie prefer the law to grace

it has all to do with the water into wine,

Joh 2:10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

confirmed at pentecost

Act_2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

for Christ has become our rest

Heb 3:7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
Heb 3:8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
Heb 3:9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
Heb 3:10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
Heb 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

as was spoken at His baptism

Mat_17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

as Christ put it

Joh_5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

and again

Rev_3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

still no one is listening.

and just as God closed the door to Noahs ark after he had being warning the people for years, and they laughed and mocked Him to scorn, so shall it be even today, than the door will be closed and those who have not entered in will be left out.

1Pe_3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Reactions: H. Richard
B

brakelite

Oh, a commandment is a Commandment!!! It isn't a suggestion. So when God says thou shalt not commit adultery, who are we to muddy the waters by calling it a "third" marriage??? Or taking more interest in the feats of our local football team than in our God? Is that not idolatry? But according to many, it seems not. At least for the Christian. He is"dead to the law". So obedience to the great Almighty become nothing more than an optional extra.
Ironically, it isn't me who mentions salvation. It is you guys who are linking obedience to salvation. Are you aware of something but afraid to admit it?

Reactions: GodsGrace

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, a commandment is a Commandment!!! It isn't a suggestion. So when God says thou shalt not commit adultery, who are we to muddy the waters by calling it a "third" marriage??? Or taking more interest in the feats of our local football team than in our God? Is that not idolatry? But according to many, it seems not. At least for the Christian. He is"dead to the law". So obedience to the great Almighty become nothing more than an optional extra.
Ironically, it isn't me who mentions salvation. It is you guys who are linking obedience to salvation. Are you aware of something but afraid to admit it?

Are you asking me personally? We are not here to ask personal questions. It is a forum where people post their opinions about scriptures..

B

brakelite

Are you asking me personally? We are not here to ask personal questions. It is a forum where people post their opinions about scriptures..
No, nothing personal. All hypothetical. My point is simply this. Many Christians today seem to believe that the law of God, His basic fundamental ten commandments, need not be obeyed. That there is therefore no real obligation to obey God at all, just believe in His love, and everything will be hunky dory. And tbh, I cannot fit the life of me reconcile how a Christian can justify any second, third, marriage while the previous partner still lives. Nor can I accept that a Christian who spends more time idolizing Netflix, ESPN , or attending the local football stadium instead of fellowship with His Lord through prayer, Bible study, or mission work for example, is not fraternising with the enemy.
I gotta confess, I have my own issues with the allurements of this world. I think we all do. I love rugby. Surfing. But I must bear in mind always that God MUST take precedence in all things. What he commands, is not a suggestion. Idolatry is still a sin. Adultery is still a sin. Theft is still a sin. Lying is still a sin. Not remembering to keep holy the Sabbath day is still a sin.
KJV Acts 17
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Many Christians today seem to believe that the law of God, His basic fundamental ten commandments, need not be obeyed. That there is therefore no real obligation to obey God at all, just believe in His love, and everything will be hunky dory.

No, we don't believe that. Just add it your list of whatever you believe. How does one understand his sanctification, anointing, godly sorrow and discipline without actually experiencing it, you should pray on it

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ca only put it as

Act_15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

but of course we also have

Jas_2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

which is why we have so many "guilty" christians around trying to save themselves. For when your "religion" demands " you keep the law, i guess one must, to save face before men, and we know what God thinks of that.

And why would Christ insist we do something that only He could ever do, knowing that we cannot do it, since He has already done it. Seem we have some really troubled individuals out there....

Reactions: H. Richard