Paul didn't write Hebrews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John the Baptists was a fetus at the time...
SO
If he lept,,,,was he DEAD?
Do dead things move and leap?
Do dead things suck their thumb/fingers?
Do dead things have a heart that beats?

Were YOU dead UNTIL you were BORN?

Do dead things move and leap?? My bowels move, but they are not a living being.

It is the general understanding within our language, that one becomes a living being at the moment of birth, and that's why we all base our birthday upon the date we were born.

I first became a living being when I born. Before that I was just an incomplete collection of body parts being assembled so that I could become a living being when the assembly was complete.

If you buy a new car, and they delivered to you a mere box of car parts, would you be content with your contract being delivered in such manner?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as a matter of interest for "29.95" lol You can have the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance that will verify everything I am saying. A close pronunciation is e'Yes-shua. A "Y" with an e tang as I describe it. Sorry I edited this...Keep in mind that there is no J sounds or alphabet until 1400 years after Christ. The only way Mary the mother could have heard a word like Jesus, is if someone sneezed.
My Greek teacher told us there were essentially 3 main schools of thought on how to pronounce the Greek, since no one actually really knows, but his advice? Roll the R's, and make it sound foreign. Because that's what people expect. I think he was half tongue in cheek on that one, but only half. That advice has served me well!

Interesting that the English language changed so that we no longer pronounce the Name of our Savior correctly!

But yes, I know what you are saying, as far as I know you are correct.

Much love!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
These assertions always seem to arise from Job and Ecclesiastes. No, we're clearly still made from dirt, but not the same process.

Since we're talking about interpretations of Poetic genre Scripture, I'd like to ask you this.

After babies are born, and before they breathe, are they dirt? Or are they flesh? If you look inside a womb at a growing baby, do you see dirt, or do you see flesh?

much love!

You forgot to mention Genesis, where God describes the process. God starts out by building His new creation from dirt. But God doesn't breath in this new entity the breath of life until all the parts have been assembled, most of which are essential to sustain life after it becomes a living being.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My Greek teacher told us there were essentially 3 main schools of thought on how to pronounce the Greek, since no one actually really knows, but his advice? Roll the R's, and make it sound foreign. Because that's what people expect. I think he was half tongue in cheek on that one, but only half. That advice has served me well!

Interesting that the English language changed so that we no longer pronounce the Name of our Savior correctly!

Much love!

I don't know anything about Greek, so am not in a position to discuss it intelligently. However, God presented His message to me in English, and I have enough trouble with that!! :) Nevertheless I am fully content to read His message in English, which has already kept me occupied for a full lifetime. :)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

The explanations are many....but none that make sense. Most of the time everyone acknowledges that it is best to translate from the original language. On this topic they try to take it through the "fussy filter" because you can read a lot of things into the Latin, more or less a dead language. But unlike the Latin, Greek is still a language and the differences between modern Greek and Koine Greek are not that far off. I debated this one time with a good friend of mine and as you have heard, he said that some people say that we really do not know for sure about Koine Greek and Latin and maybe things were pronounce differently and meant different things. So I smiled and looked at him and said, So you are saying we cannot have confidence in anything the Bible says. lol He smiled and through his notes down.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You forgot to mention Genesis, where God describes the process. God starts out by building His new creation from dirt. But God doesn't breath in this new entity the breath of life until all the parts have been assembled, most of which are essential to sustain life after it becomes a living being.
Yes, but God's process with Adam has not been duplicated since.

And I've noticed you didn't answer my question. Of course the answer is obvious. An unborn baby is not unliving dirt, it is living flesh.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The explanations are many....but none that make sense.

I guess I don't have an issue with it.

I believe we should always go to the original language.

I just note certain peculiarities in pronunciation.

:)

Sets down notes . . .

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am good with that. o_O
Don't mind me. Generally speaking, If you find I've posted something that makes absolutely no sense, then it's likely my attempt to amuse, something I never seem to do well!

Much love!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't mind me. Generally speaking, If you find I've posted something that makes absolutely no sense, then it's likely my attempt to amuse, something I never seem to do well!

Much love!

I am a big fan of humor and amusement. :) Now riddle me this; Over the centuries it appear there has been an effort to remove God's name,
from the Old and New Testaments (tetragrammanton in the Old Testament) They have reduced His name to the generic positional name of God. What happens to the Bible when you take their names out? The bumper sticker...In God We Trust....who is that to. In society it is almost to the point that it is impolite to mention their names, because you could offend someone. Who would want all that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a big fan of humor and amusement. :) Now riddle me this; Over the centuries it appear there has been an effort to remove God's name,
from the Old and New Testaments (tetragrammanton in the Old Testament) They have reduced His name to the generic positional name of God. What happens to the Bible when you take their names out? The bumper sticker...In God We Trust....who is that to. In society it is almost to the point that it is impolite to mention their names, because you could offend someone. Who would want all that?
You know what I like is to put God's Name back into the Bible! Suddenly it's so personal!

Much love in YHWH!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Do dead things move and leap?? My bowels move, but they are not a living being.

It is the general understanding within our language, that one becomes a living being at the moment of birth, and that's why we all base our birthday upon the date we were born.

I first became a living being when I born. Before that I was just an incomplete collection of body parts being assembled so that I could become a living being when the assembly was complete.

If you buy a new car, and they delivered to you a mere box of car parts, would you be content with your contract being delivered in such manner?
Your bowels are not a human being...they are PART of a human being.

It is NOT A GENERAL understanding that one is human when they are born.
An incomplete collection of body parts that had to be assembled?

Did that image I posted look like a mass of body parts?

You compare a human to a car?
A car is dead.

A fetus is alive.

I'm through speaking to you.
You're a disgrace to the Christian faith.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm realizing how long ago my schooling was . . . sigh!

Not Nicea, I think that was early, it was later in the 300's, I think. Was it Hippo? I'm sorry, I forget.

Much love!
I reckon that my point was that for Scripture to be Scripture, it did not have to wait for whatever council to say as much.

Reactions: Stan B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reckon that my point was that for Scripture to be Scripture, it did not have to wait for whatever council to say as much.
Agreed!

:)

My understanding is that is was well understood what was and wasn't Scripture before it was set down on paper.

much love!

Reactions: Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, but God's process with Adam has not been duplicated since.

And I've noticed you didn't answer my question. Of course the answer is obvious. An unborn baby is not unliving dirt, it is living flesh.

Much love!

>> "Yes, but God's process with Adam has not been duplicated since."

I don't know where you ever got the idea that God stopped making people from dirt. He was still doing it that way when Job was created:

“Behold, I belong to God like you;
I too have been formed out of the clay."
“The Spirit of God has made me,
And the breath of the Almighty gives me life." Job 33

And it seems that the same process was continuing in Solomon's day:

Man's body returns to the dust from whence it came; Ecclesiastes 12:7

So when did God stop doing it this way?

Look up the elements found in the human body. It is made entirely of dirt!! Every element the human body can be found in the soil!!

>> "And I've noticed you didn't answer my question. Of course the answer is obvious. An unborn baby is not unliving dirt, it is living flesh."

It is merely an accumulation of fetal parts which are being assembled in an effort to make into a being which can sustain life.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your bowels are not a human being...they are PART of a human being.

It is NOT A GENERAL understanding that one is human when they are born.
An incomplete collection of body parts that had to be assembled?

Did that image I posted look like a mass of body parts?

You compare a human to a car?
A car is dead.

A fetus is alive.

I'm through speaking to you.
You're a disgrace to the Christian faith.

Godsgrace sez >> "I'm through speaking to you.
You're a disgrace to the Christian faith."

That's fine, but what you are saying has nothing to do with the Christian faith. You manufacture an entire non-Biblical ideology, as cults are prone to do. Unlike you, my faith and ethics come SOLEY from Scripture. But ultimately, you are merely expressing anger with the Holy Spirit, because He is too dumb to support your cult, because He did not include in Scripture something as simple as "Thou shalt not have an abortion". He seems to be far more concerned with how you prepare your food and what you are permitted to eat.

You and I believe in an entirely different God. I believe in the God of the Bible. You believe in some sort of extra-Biblical cult. You are attempting to teach an extra-Biblical religion. That might work for you,

But God's final word to mankind was a stern warning:

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll." Rev 22

Of false teachers who do such things, Paul says "For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women" 2 Timothy 3:6

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Godsgrace sez >> "I'm through speaking to you.
You're a disgrace to the Christian faith."

That's fine, but what you are saying has nothing to do with the Christian faith. You manufacture an entire non-Biblical ideology, as cults are prone to do. Unlike you, my faith and ethics come SOLEY from Scripture. But ultimately, you are merely expressing anger with the Holy Spirit, because He is too dumb to support your cult, because He did not include in Scripture something as simple as "Thou shalt not have an abortion". He seems to be far more concerned with how you prepare your food and what you are permitted to eat.

You and I believe in an entirely different God. I believe in the God of the Bible. You believe in some sort of extra-Biblical cult. You are attempting to teach an extra-Biblical religion. That might work for you,

But God's final word to mankind was a stern warning:

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll." Rev 22

Of false teachers who do such things, Paul says "For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women" 2 Timothy 3:6
Is
THOU SHALT NOT KILL
or
DO NOT KILL

a stern warning?

And that was a pretty funny statement of yours....
Do you think modern bibles say doctrine different from older bibles?
God's word remains the same.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is
THOU SHALT NOT KILL
or
DO NOT KILL

a stern warning?

And that was a pretty funny statement of yours....
Do you think modern bibles say doctrine different from older bibles?
God's word remains the same.

GodsGrace>>"THOU SHALT NOT KILL"

Are you serious?? Are you a vegetarian?

Anyway, I am sure you know better, and are just playing games. The proper translation is "Thou shalt not murder", i.e. the unlawful taking of life.

Anyway the subject was 'abortion'. Under which civil or Biblical law is abortion unlawful?