Paul, the Stoic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, sorry about that, that's just bad communication i guess. i almost never get asked what do i mean by some phrase, and when i ask others that i usually don't get a reply; i don't get it! so, a blind spot.
I may not always answer and sometimes when I do the answer may be wrong, but it is usually based on scripture, at least, as I have understood it. If I had to I am sure I could use another English translation, but it would be an uncomfortable thing for me after so many years.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009
Amadeus said: One man on an Internet forum caught my testimony and insisted that no one could backslide for 10 years.

bbyrd009 said: this strikes me as dangerously ignorant of the plight of the Wanderers, at least. I srsly doubt "backslid" is even a relevant perception there, after a seeker has been recruited in fear (ignorance) of hell, the way we define it; "learning curve" seems more apt to me? "Backslid" just sounds like pure judgement, imo-
Backslid is one of those words everyone where I have attended services uses. They had and have a fixed idea of what they meant, which may often have little connection with what I have at times understood in scripture. But, this is the way many people understand [misunderstand?] and serve God. Perhaps in some cases I should write god [no capitalization].

What happened to me when I "backslid" is a very long story which I won't retell presently.

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009
Amadeus said: I did and still do disagree as I disagree with the ones who stand so firmly on OSAS.

bbyrd009 said: :rolleyes: why bother, may as well try to convince a little kid there is no santa claus the day before Xmas lol. yes, Xmas. :)
You ask a very good question. My answer could be simple or a long book. I bother to answer because sometimes I really think that someone might benefit, although often it is not the person to whom I am directly responding. If I believe God has given me an answer and I do not share, might it not be like the man in scripture posted as a watchman who doesn't bother to warn anyone when he sees that enemy on the approach?

You mention santa claus. I remember clearly always wanting to believe even after deep down inside I knew it was not a real thing. I got in trouble early as well as late in my own life because I liked the stories that had good guys who always won. They don't write many books like that anymore, or if they do they seldom make them into movies. I would guess it is because no one would like them enough to spend their money on them. So the investors would lose money. People don't usually purposely invest in sure losers, do they? I did, at least in my mind, and even when I really knew better I resisted leaving that attitude behind. In other words, because a person superficially acted trustworthy, surely he was... How many times burned, but still so stubborn in this. I guess my wife kept me from complete financial disaster.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm, imo the second actually drives the first, as strange as that seems. We seek oracles and miracles, thunder and lightning, not whispers i guess. Who would pay for classes on How to Hate Your Life lol
Yes, the bad pastors may draw the bad congregations, but the opposite is also true. The question comes back to which came first, the chicken or the egg.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, moreover, how many ppl have distorted definitions for one of these?
Fasting you quoted out of Isaiah yesterday, right; fasting to make a deal with God. Alms have been folded into the Tithes Boondoggle, i guess. And i am convinced that Wishes--perfectly acceptable vehicles for real change--have been turned into Prayers--pointless requests for specific things that God does not even hear, usually.

Not sure how i might illuminate this, but "God, please take John's cancer away" is simply not praying in Christ's Name imo.
Of course who wants to contemplate that God sent the cancer, right
It's like most of the funeral services I have attended where so many lies are told or, at least inferred, to tickle someone's ears or to apparently not add to the pain of losing someone close.

The three fold cord is strong when used correctly as the written scripture is the truth when it is understood correctly. People see the thousands of denominations based on written scriptures and are even of part of them and still fail to understand where they went wrong or even that they have gone wrong.

Why is it that God wouldn't let us just live in a place like Eden without all of the pain, suffering and death? No answer expected!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i guess when you take them by the hand instead of trying to gouge their eyes out and replace them, that clears up :)
but i have no idea what that means though lol
I see two possible good endings for those proclaiming the OSAS doctrines. One is the person who really does trust God and works with all that he has to do things as God wants to do them including asking God for help. He is doing it right, but doesn't realize it and could not explain to someone.

The second one is the one who gets into so trouble in his personal life because his 'devil may care' belief that he finally realizes his error and really does repent.

I am not considering the possible bad endings.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, i guess if, say, the benefits of quitting _______, smoking or whatever, are not reward enough, then quitting will be perceived as an affliction lol, ya. Point being perception has a lot to do with how one defines "affliction" i guess.

But imo what Isaiah (Ezekiel?) was saying there is, "why are you punishing yourself (fasting) in an attempt to sway God to your pov?"
What you have said is precisely why God looks at the heart rather than simply at the superficial doctrines that a person holds. Believing some seemingly very good things can really be worthless if they are believed for the wrong reasons. Do we know anyone who does that? Do I do that even in a measure?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Does God Create Evil, or Not?" :)

do we punish little kids for sins committed in ignorance, or not?
What sins are not committed in ignorance?
The sins not committed in ignorance under OT law [Moses] were a basis for kicking a person out [cutting him off] of his tribe. Many [most?] people today do not even understand how ignorant they are of the things of God. Does He want them to learn and do better?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Why is it that God wouldn't let us just live in a place like Eden without all of the pain, suffering and death? No answer expected!
boy, i would be demanding an answer here myself, if the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it?

God will let you live there, imo; that is A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. to me anyway. i mean who knows, maybe i am confused, but i am not with this Christian fear, life is scary thing at all!
No answer expected!
ha maybe your are speaking TIC here?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Believing some seemingly very good things can really be worthless if they are believed for the wrong reasons.
i suggest that they are also worthless even if they are "believed" for the right reasons, once belief is turned into faith, which let's be honest most ppls faith is defined by their beliefs now. "i believe this, so that cannot be true."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
boy, i would be demanding an answer here myself, if the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it?

God will let you live there, imo; that is A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. to me anyway. i mean who knows, maybe i am confused, but i am not with this Christian fear, life is scary thing at all!

ha maybe your are speaking TIC here?
Yes, people often do expect an answer, and it may not be surprising how many varieties might be received. I liked yours.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(one of these things
is not like the other...)
lol
I was just answering off the top of my head. There are some who believe in it that I have seen as being quite close to God. They are saying it that way but... I won't say what I believe about most who grab hold of it and just hang on because they call it the irrevocable ticket home [to Eden?]

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i suggest that they are also worthless even if they are "believed" for the right reasons, once belief is turned into faith, which let's be honest most ppls faith is defined by their beliefs now. "i believe this, so that cannot be true."
I hear you loud and clear. Fortunately for all parties I am not the one who makes the judgement.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I was just answering off the top of my head. There are some who believe in it that I have seen as being quite close to God. They are saying it that way but... I won't say what I believe about most who grab hold of it and just hang on because they call it the irrevocable ticket home [to Eden?]
ya, nice. There is a sense in which i have to agree that once you are saved, you are always saved, but the application leaves more or less everything to be desired imo. When it gets turned into "i have completed the salvation checklist, therefore i am saved, and once-saved-always-saved," which is what i usually hear, then i mean yikes already

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya, nice. There is a sense in which i have to agree that once you are saved, you are always saved, but the application leaves more or less everything to be desired imo. When it gets turned into "i have completed the salvation checklist, therefore i am saved, and once-saved-always-saved," which is what i usually hear, then i mean yikes already
We, you and I, may well be finally saved, but we do not say it because we have understood a few problems in even confessing it too definitely without more definite knowledge. I know that in my own history I have moved both up toward and down away from God more than once. I will not presume that I will go down again. I may not and I certainly at this moment do not intend to... If I never stop trusting God then I will not. The question I might ask of myself is: will I never again have any serious doubts about the ways of God?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We, you and I, may well be finally saved, but we do not say it because we have understood a few problems in even confessing it too definitely without more definite knowledge. I know that in my own history I have moved both up toward and down away from God more than once. I will not presume that I will go down again. I may not and I certainly at this moment do not intend to... If I never stop trusting God then I will not. The question I might ask of myself is: will I never again have any serious doubts about the ways of God?

Is that not where the fear of the Lord comes in? Which in my case, is not really fear OF the Lord, but fear of me? Me, who cannot be trusted...which means me in my old man.
If we lock into what David said- " I have set the Lord always before my face, He is at my right hand I shall not be moved."
We cannot trust ourself. That is why salvation is not of us.
As long as we never shift away from the knowledge that He is always faithful..even when I am not...Then we are safe.
11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us. 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself."
... I am fast learning to always second guess myself...but never Him!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
once someone makes it through...a big stretch of desert, spiritually speaking, after having sought God, and then comes back to seeking afterward, the worst is kind of over, seems like? Now, you might figuratively or even literally get boiled in oil after that, but at that point it won't be the deal it would have been before.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
once someone makes it through...a big stretch of desert, spiritually speaking, after having sought God, and then comes back to seeking afterward, the worst is kind of over, seems like? Now, you might figuratively or even literally get boiled in oil after that, but at that point it won't be the deal it would have been before.
Amen to that! That is called growth and it is, I believe, absolutely essential for as long as God still has allowed us time in which to do it. How long did Job growing God prior to the time of the Book of Job so the opening line could call him perfect? But Job had time and God has something more in mind for Job and read on after Job 1:1.