Paul's Mention Of Christ In You??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
In Colossians 1:27: (quoted above - #55), the words, 'Christ in you,' is, 'Christ among you,' ('en' with the plural = among). That being the case: in this context, it is a corporate application and not personal, isn't it? Salvation had been sent to the Gentile (ie., the nations - see Acts 28:28): therefore Christ was among them; God desired that the Gentile saints should know, that He (Christ) was their hope of (the) glory.

* This 'mystery' was not revealed until after Galatians was written: having been 'hid in God' until divinely made known to Paul, as it's Administrator, following Acts 28, and the laying aside (temporarily) of Israel in blindness and unbelief. Paul administered the fellowship of this mystery in his later epistles, (Eph. Phil, Col. 1&2 Timothy and Titus).

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Chris, I think I understand what you are saying, could you elaborate some please. Also, can you give your understanding of the other 146 times (that I have counted, summed up in one answer) Paul places the believer in Christ? Thanks
Hello @soul man,

Christ being 'among' the Gentiles was a new concept. During the Acts period Gentiles were grafted into the Olive Tree of Israel, for salvation was of the Jew (John 4:22), and they had prior place. However, with the laying aside of Israel (temporarily) at the end of the Acts period, in unbelief, salvation was sent to the Gentiles (Acts 28:28), for, said Paul, 'they would receive it'. It was now, Christ (in) or, 'among' them, that was the Gentile saint's hope of the glory, and not their association with Israel as the source of their blessing, as in the Olive Tree.

During the Acts period, Gentiles were brought in with the hope that Israel as a nation would emulate them, believe and repent, so that the times of refreshing could come from God, with the return of Christ (Acts 3:19). That was no longer a possibility, and awaited a yet future day, so Christ was now, 'among' the Gentile believers as their hope of the glory, independent of Israel as a nation. For as members of the Church which is the Body of Christ individual believers, regardless of race, were united with Christ their Head, and members one of another, 'in Him'.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is true but you must not ignore Paul's words about the temporal aspects of the charismatic gifts, which many do.
Very temporal

Luk_16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

God didnt need them any more, Christians have His Holy Spirit,

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Heb_3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

but God cant help it men dont believe...

Reactions: Acolyte and Dave L

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'But we preach Christ crucified,
.. unto the Jews a stumblingblock,
.... and unto the Greeks foolishness;
...... But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks,
........ Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men;
.. and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
.... For ye see your calling, brethren,
...... how that not many wise men after the flesh,
........ not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise;
.. and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
.... And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen,
...... yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
........ 'That no flesh should glory in His presence.
But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus,
Who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
That, according as it is written, "He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." '

(1 Corinthians 1:23-31)

Yes, @soul man,

* God places the believer, 'in Christ'. I need to look up the 146 occurrences that you refer to, 'soul man', in order to comment, but I have no doubt that Paul does refer to the believer as being, 'in Christ', as the verses quoted above show.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Yes, thank you; I was referring to the language Paul uses "in whom, by whom, in the Lord ect." That is what I have counted, others have told me they have counted as much as two hundred times.
My point really is in the important of the believer having knowledge of the "Christ in you" for spiritual growth.
As you know a single verse in scripture has so much weight in scripture I don't think we get the full impact sometimes, at least not for a while in understanding.
If mentioned twice or three times you can not pay attention to it and have growth. The in Christ message is so powerful in the written word it goes beyond mentioning and should be taught as a number one theme of every bible study so the believer can get it fixed in them by the HolySpirit, Paul said when this happens you will know it. He called it "the revelation of Jesus Christ." Gal. 1:11-12.
We judge everything based on the knowledge of good and evil, not knowing there is another knowledge that exists.
That knowledge is the only knowledge that fits this world because it is beyond this world, it is spiritual knowledge.
So we have a lot of accusation that fly around as to what is wrong with the church, nothing wrong with the church, the body of Christ, they just need to know the wisdom of God, which is "Christ in you the hope of glory."

Reactions: charity and Acolyte