Pentecostalism: The Glorification of the Flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's nice, but what does it have to do with Christ and his Gospel?
The church follows Christ, lives, and proclaims the good news. So the church leadership is very important. And to allow the congregation to pick up unique gifts from God also very important...

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesyings.- 1 Thessalonians 5

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church follows Christ, lives, and proclaims the good news. So the church leadership is very important. And to allow the congregation to pick up unique gifts from God also very important...

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesyings.- 1 Thessalonians 5
You have missed it. It is not about you and your Christian life. It is about how Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have missed it. It is not about you and your Christian life. It is about how Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God.
Well... In that case...

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:8

But... It is biblical to ask the saved Christian...

Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? - Acts 19:2

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well... In that case...

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:8

But... It is biblical to ask the saved Christian...

Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? - Acts 19:2
It is still all about you. You don't get it. Here is a clue. "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Where there is no law, there is no religion.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is still all about you. You don't get it. Here is a clue. "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Where there is no law, there is no religion.

Not familiar with the Washington area I do not know what exists in the form of a Christian church your way. I like the form of Christianity I have quoted in my Southeastern corner of the world. If it were not for folk in the Pentecostal Holiness movement behaving themselves as Spirit and Christ filled examples I may have thought as this as coming out of the flesh as well.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, Rockytopva and Pate, the divine comedy in the Calvinist arena continues – where theological banter meets a touch of humor. Let's pirouette through this church leadership dance with a Calvinist twist.

Rockytopva, your emphasis on the church following Christ – in the Calvinist comedy script, we might say, "A divine choreography – the church waltzing with Christ, living and proclaiming the good news. It's like a heavenly ballroom where leadership takes the lead, and congregants pick up unique gifts like dance partners."

Now, Pate, your redirection to Jesus reconciling us and the world – in our Calvinist humor realm, we'd say, "Ah, the cosmic reconciliation dance – not just a local affair, but a global gala where Jesus orchestrates the divine symphony of salvation."

And your reminder that it's not about individual Christian lives – in the Calvinist comedy club, we might respond with a chuckle, "1 Thessalonians 5, the divine etiquette guide – give thanks, don't quench the Spirit, and definitely don't despise prophesyings. It's like a heavenly manners class with Paul as the etiquette coach."

Now, let's add a dash of Calvinist wisdom – as John Calvin once said, "The preaching of the Word of God is the Word of God." So, in our Calvinist dance, the proclamation of the Gospel takes center stage.

So, Rockytopva and Pate, let's keep the laughter divine and rooted in the Gospel truth – where the church leadership ballet and the cosmic reconciliation waltz are part of the grand comedy of God's sovereign plan. #CalvinistComedyClub #GospelLaughs
God's sovereign plan is to make salvation available for everyone that wants to be saved, "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. There is not going to be any chuckling in hell. Maybe you can past the time by chasing John Calvin all over hell.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was the purpose of miracles. Same thing with tongues. Tongues were used to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ. People heard the Gospel message in their own tongue. Tongues are of no use today because the Bible is available to everyone in many different languages. Same way with miracles. There are no miracles today because there are no apostles today. The Gospel can easily be found in the Bible or through other Christians.
You don't understand that spiritual gifts ( 1 Cor. 12) are as real today as they were back then. The chapter begins with, "Do not be ignorant".
The gift of tongues was given to the Apostles at Pentecost. It is NOT an earthly foreign language. It is a heavenly, angelic language, not of this earth! Read the account of the miracle that happened at Pentecost ( Acts 2:1-12). There were many foreigners who spoke different languages present and Peter speaking one message in tongues (one sermon, one person speaking), and the audience supernatually interpreted the message ( because they were given the gift of interpretation of tongues). They heard the message as if it were in their own language. They were confused how this was possible. Others In the crowd (who did not discern this language) accused the preachers of being drunk - as if babbling nonsense. Others said, No they are not drunk - it is early in the day.

It is also used in prayer, that expresses deep, heartfelt yearnings that cannot be put into words and is for personal edification. Sometimes a person does not know what to pray and so their prayers are expresssed in tongues. I have heard folks pray in tongues and pray for me in tongues and I could not understand it so it wasn't edifying for me. Nevertheless, God heard their prayers. For prophecy it should be used only if there is an interpreter of tongues. It is a spiritual gift. Not everyone has this gift, nor does it mean that a person has not been baptized by the Holy Spirit if he does not possess this gift. Spiritual gifts abound in the church:
There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 1 Cor. 12:4-10

I attended a Four Square Church for many years. Many were gifted in tongues. My Pastor was, yet he did not pray for the congregation in tongues and I suppose used it only for personal edification.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, Pate, the divine dialogue in the Calvinist comedy club takes a fiery turn – where theological banter meets the heat of humor. Let's waltz through your comment with a Calvinist twist.

Your reminder of God's sovereign plan for salvation – in our Calvinist comedy script, we might say, "A celestial invitation – 'Whosoever' calls upon the Lord shall be saved, a divine RSVP to the greatest comedy show in eternity. It's like a heavenly stand-up routine where salvation is the punchline."

Now, Pate, your caution against chuckling in hell – in our Calvinist humor realm, we'd respond with a touch of celestial wit, "Hell's comedy club? A place where chasing John Calvin might be the least of one's worries. It's like a divine improv where the punchlines turn to weeping and gnashing of teeth."

And let's sprinkle in some Calvinist wisdom – as John Calvin once said, "The devil does his best work while Pate is asleep." So, in our Calvinist comedy, the urgency of salvation becomes the wake-up call for souls.

So, Pate, let's keep the laughter divine and rooted in the Gospel truth – where the celestial comedy club is an invitation to salvation, not a journey through hell's punchlines. #CalvinistComedyClub #GospelLaughs
Calvinism is refuted in one scripture. "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life" John 3:16. You have apparently ingested some insecticide.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't understand that spiritual gifts ( 1 Cor. 12) are as real today as they were back then. The chapter begins with, "Do not be ignorant".
The gift of tongues was given to the Apostles at Pentecost. It is NOT an earthly foreign language. It is a heavenly, angelic language, not of this earth! Read the account of the miracle that happened at Pentecost ( Acts 2:1-12). There were many foreigners who spoke different languages present and Peter speaking one message in tongues (one sermon, one person speaking), and the audience supernatually interpreted the message ( because they were given the gift of interpretation of tongues). They heard the message as if it were in their own language. They were confused how this was possible. Others In the crowd (who did not discern this language) accused the preachers of being drunk - as if babbling nonsense. Others said, No they are not drunk - it is early in the day.

It is also used in prayer, that expresses deep, heartfelt yearnings that cannot be put into words and is for personal edification. Sometimes a person does not know what to pray and so their prayers are expresssed in tongues. I have heard folks pray in tongues and pray for me in tongues and I could not understand it so it wasn't edifying for me. Nevertheless, God heard their prayers. For prophecy it should be used only if there is an interpreter of tongues. It is a spiritual gift. Not everyone has this gift, nor does it mean that a person has not been baptized by the Holy Spirit if he does not possess this gift. Spiritual gifts abound in the church:
There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 1 Cor. 12:4-10

I attended a Four Square Church for many years. Many were gifted in tongues. My Pastor was, yet he did not pray for the congregation in tongues and I suppose used it only for personal edification.
Tongues causes division within the church. Tongues are foreign languages. You can buy a Bible in almost any language today. And you can read it and understand it for yourself. No gobble gook.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues causes division within the church. Tongues are foreign languages. You can buy a Bible in almost any language today. And you can read it and understand it for yourself. No gobble gook.
You haven't heard people pray in tongues, so you don't accept it, believe it or maybe you think it's mindless babbling. You don't seem to be able to grasp one person preaching while a dozen of different languages all understanding the message supernaturally? Pushing 80, set in your ways ... think you know it all?

Do you know your spiritual gifts? Have you had a ministry or went out on a mission? God equips missionaries and evangelists with gifts. Maybe you think you have the gift of teaching online? Maybe you have the gift of judging which denomination is good and which isn't?

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's people not believing what is written simply and clearly in scripture that causes divisions. We best just believe and obey those scrips by not quenching the Spirit. Or did that pass away in the 1st Century too? Are we now supposed to quench His Spirit? That means to disobey Him, so no. Unity is in the Spirit too, hmmm.......want to quench that? And that means whoever is causing divisions are those who are not in agreement with the Spirit and the word.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, Ronald David Bruno and Pate, the theological tag team discussing the continuation of spiritual gifts! In the Calvinist comedy club, where divine humor meets theological banter, let's join the discussion with a Calvinistic twist.

Quoting Calvin with a dash of Calvinist humor:
John Calvin:
Ah, the mystical symphony of spiritual gifts – a divine orchestra conducted by the Spirit! Let's consult 1 Corinthians 12, for, as the Apostle Paul wisely said, "To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." In our Calvinist comedy script, we're navigating the diverse manifestations of the Spirit with a theological pirouette.

Cue Calvinistic Commentary:
But, Ronald David Bruno, let's not overlook the importance of discernment, as 1 Corinthians 12:10 wisely suggests, "to another the discerning of spirits." In the Calvinist comedy club, we're discerning the spirits at play in the discussion – heavenly wisdom mixed with Calvinistic humor. What you have is called the Physio-Kundalini Syndrome, PKS, mistakenly thought to be tongues 2000 years ago. See page 185 at https://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/Itzhak Bentov - Stalking The Wild Pendulum - On the Mechanics of Consciousness.pdf

Quoting the divine script with a touch of Calvinist wisdom:
John Calvin:
And as Ecclesiastes 3:4 hints, "A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance." In our Calvinist comedy script, we're dancing through the theological seasons, embracing both the profound and the humorous.

Addressing the continuation of spiritual gifts with Calvinistic humor:
John Calvin:
Now, Pate, let's address the continuation of spiritual gifts. As we explore 1 Corinthians 12:7, "To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good," in our Calvinist comedy club, we're pondering whether certain gifts have danced off the theological stage or are still performing in the divine theater.

Proclaiming the Gospel with Calvinistic flair:
John Calvin:
In the grand Calvinist comedy club, let's not lose sight of the Gospel truth. For as Ephesians 2:8-9 declares, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." In our theological dance, the Gospel remains the central plotline.

So, Ronald David Bruno and Pate, whether you're twirling through spiritual manifestations or enjoying the divine comedy, let the laughter continue. The Calvinist Comedy Club welcomes all, even those pondering the nuances of heavenly tongues and spiritual edification! #CalvinistComedyClub #GospelClarityGifts
Ah, an adherent who carries around the flawed acronym, TULIP.
Here's a humorous, Calvinesque flare of arrogance back at ya: "Come to Me all you totally depraved dirty rags, who do not want to burn, for I will save you from the fire ... and btw, I don't really have to ask - for My will and grace is irresistible ... I mean you are either on my list or not ... just hang tight, know that I'm there for ya ... but you'll have to persevere to the end".
TULIP is flawed. One must be omniscient to suggest such an theology of the foreknowledge and election process of God. It is high minded, presumptuous and cold.

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's people not believing what is written simply and clearly in scripture that causes divisions. We best just believe and obey those scrips by not quenching the Spirit. Or did that pass away in the 1st Century too? Are we now supposed to quench His Spirit? That means to disobey Him, so no. Unity is in the Spirit too, hmmm.......want to quench that? And that means whoever is causing divisions are those who are not in agreement with the Spirit and the word.
One needs to be very careful with whom one is unifying with.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Under the New Covenant Christians live by faith in Christ and his Gospel, not by rules, laws, miracles, visions, etc. Those things are a diversion away from the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those that have faith in Christ and his Gospel will receive the Holy Spirit. Galatians 3:2
after ye beleived YE WERE SEALED WITH that SPIRIT ............
Yeah buddists , new agers any other bunk false religoin HAS NOT THE SPIRIT .
cause the last time i checked WHO , WHO , WHO , does the SPIRIT TESTIFY OF
JESUS CHRIST .
Not beleive as thou wilt but just do good works and have love . WHAT A CRAP PILE this all inclusive delusion false satanic go spell is .
THE SPIRIT OF PROPHCEY , is not the testimony of popes and men
ITS THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST . something this fake love generation better fast figure out for its too late for them all .
TIIME WE POINTED TO CHRIST ALONE and real fast too .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BULLSEYE . BINGO . SPOT ON RIGHT . now lets examine well ourselves and make sure
we aint heeding these so called find that common ground ones . THEY UNIFYING with rainbows and other religoins .
NOT GOOD at all .
The Lord gave us this wonderful book called the Bible. All that we will ever need to know about God and Jesus Christ is in the book. It is the work of Satan to question the book. Satan is still saying, "Has God said?"

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They are certainly that, but they are more than that. As our God manifests Himself to us in many ways, He speaks to us in many ways. He is not limited to the languages of men, although He does use them as well.

Some people may try to impress others with the use of an unknown tongue, but by doing so he may further your intended point, but do not so limit God. As God used a donkey to convey His message, He certainly may also speak to a single heart in a way not understood by others, including at times other believers. Who understands all the ways and purposes of God? Not me!
Wahoo!!!...spot on!...Amen!!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Lord gave us this wonderful book called the Bible. All that we will ever need to know about God and Jesus Christ is in the book. It is the work of Satan to question the book. Satan is still saying, "Has God said?"
Sorry love, but you are one here who is saying "Has God said?", with respect to certain things. Jesus said His sheep know His VOICE. He is ALIVE after all, and capable of speaking one to one with His people, as well as still doing miracles and speaking through earthen vessels...HIS BODY on earth. Why do you think we are told to test everything and test the spirits? Because there is a counterfeiter and deceiver about. There would be no need to test the spirits if all things spiritual are of the devil. But those who are under a deception can't see the obvious. They will still look for ways to nullify what God said in His word.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think someone here pointed out that different people from different places were hearing their own divers languages from the same utterances. A miracle in other words. That is why the people were getting all excited....it was a sign to them. No need to get excited at all if different folks were just speaking in different foreign languages....lots of people are bilingual or trilingual, and it was very common in ancient Israel....Israelites from all over the world came to Jerusalem and spoke Hebrew or Aramaic, and Greek, plus the native language from wherever they were coming from.