Perception

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep...it's all in the eyes. :)

I was just being light hearted.
Willie has a good thread here, but only a few hours sleep last night. Feeling "jet-lagged"...and my brain is mush right now. I don't have a sensible post in my reach right now...I'd better quit for the day.lol
It was my turn to get a pretty good night's sleep!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's very perceptive. (No play on words intended.) Although we may "see" or sense something, the reason or source may not be what we might assume. Nor, might the "target" be what we suppose.

Now, THAT is extremely, perceptively perceptive :)

Reactions: Mayflower

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What I'm interested in is spiritual influences upon perception. Be they for good or ill.

But before we get to the spiritual, one I neglected to mention was indoctrination. This seems to be the tool by which spiritual influences affect perception. Although by itself I don't consider indoctrination to be spiritual.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly, many of our perceptions come from preceptions. (n. 1610s, from Latin praeceptionem.) Yes, it is whence comes our present word, 'preconception'. (And, "No", the word 'whence' is not used in conjunction with 'from', ie the mistaken, "from whence.")

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I'm interested in is spiritual influences upon perception. Be they for good or ill.

But before we get to the spiritual, one I neglected to mention was indoctrination. This seems to be the tool by which spiritual influences affect perception. Although by itself I don't consider indoctrination to be spiritual.
In actuality, my original intent was not necessarily any 'spiritual' application — since my classes were court-mandated, and we were thus legally denied the use of any spiritual application. (As if that ever kept most of us from finding a way to bring the concept of God into almost every class.)

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we are still in English lessons:
Indoctrinate simply means "brainwash" to many people. But its meaning isn't always so negative. When this verb first appeared in English in the 17th century, it simply meant "to teach" — a meaning that followed logically from its Latin root. The "doc" in the middle of indoctrinate derives from the Latin verb docēre, which also means "to teach." Other offspring of "docēre" include "docent" (referring to a college professor or a museum guide), "docile," "doctor," "doctrine," and "document." It was not until the 19th century that "indoctrinate" began to see regular use in the sense of causing someone to absorb and take on certain opinions or principles.
(from M&W)

Ivor

Dec 9, 2018
Barnsley
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our perceptions come from our personal experience and our nature as a person - our logical view of events is quite directional from where we come from. However gut feeling is best acted upon because its a perception that may keep us from harm... it's like a sixth sense maybe all our senses working in harmony for our benefit to either take flight or fight.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Indoctrinate simply means "brainwash" to many people. But its meaning isn't always so negative. When this verb first appeared in English in the 17th century, it simply meant "to teach" — a meaning that followed logically from its Latin root. The "doc" in the middle of indoctrinate derives from the Latin verb docēre, which also means "to teach." Other offspring of "docēre" include "docent" (referring to a college professor or a museum guide), "docile," "doctor," "doctrine," and "document." It was not until the 19th century that "indoctrinate" began to see regular use in the sense of causing someone to absorb and take on certain opinions or principles.
(from M&W)
I think this is a reference to indoctrination, that is done by the Holy Spirit. While other may tell us the words, only the Spirit enables us to take them to heart.

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord . “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Jeremiah 31:33 NIV

D

Dave L

I think perception is one of the reasons we should not judge one another's motives. Do we reveal our own corruption, assuming the other guy's motives are the same as ours if we were to do the same? Example: Joe is doing this or that. He must be doing it for the same reasons I would, if I did the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about some of the rest of you who read this, but haven't answered? Do you weigh out unseen possibilities and alternative scenarios when things happen in your life?
God being the great architect of the universe that He is, "Why?" might be the first question of circumstances, but "Why me?" usually gets in the way.

I like to think that we don't really have a perspective...like not sitting in the best seats only to be told to go to the back row. And then the world does what it will, while God moves the road underneath those who think it's actually themselves doing the driving. Sometimes I feel like I'm just getting on a bus God is driving, and I want to say, "Surprise me." And He does.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
(from M&W)

There is a difference from learning doctrines....and learning doctrine. It's all about perception. :rolleyes:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that gut reactions should be used only to determine whether WE should participate in a certain thing...rather than judge it wrong for everyone. Who are we to judge the deeper issues on our own? A person who is on the wrong track might get a "bad taste" about something that is actually good....just as much as it works the other way around. In that way the imperfect runs away from the perfect just as the perfect avoids the imperfect.

So then a tree is known of it's fruit, and birds of a feather flock together. :)

It is for people to be convinced in themselves they are living on the proper level to be able to join into what God is doing...or to flee from it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perception test.

If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Okay, what did you think of that?

^

^

^

And, by the way, on your answer to the abortion question:
If you said YES, you just killed Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it?
Makes a person think before judging someone.
Wait till you see the end of this note! Keep reading..

Now, the above may or may not be true...maybe just "making a point" but, the test on us and our perceptions still stands.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Another one..while we are on that track.

It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts.
Here are the facts about the three candidates Who would you vote for?

Candidate A
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologist
He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day

Candidate B
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in
college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an
occasional beer and never cheated on his wife.

Which of these candidates would be our choice?

Decide first... no peeking, then scroll down for the response.

+

+

+

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

==

D

Dave L

Candidate A

Candidate B

Candidate C

+

+

+

==
Wow!!!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Candidate A

Candidate B

Candidate C

+

+

+

==

And we think we know each other on here? Ha I say! Lot's of information out there for seekers of truth... :)