Peter the Rock?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a previous discussion by @Taken and @Mr E about Peter being a rock or THE rock. Searching for threads concerning this I could not find any, so I am starting one.

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” 14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

In post #666 of that discussion Taken didn't look at the full context of the discussion between Peter and Jesus. Taken said, "The Whole HIGHLIGHT of THAT conversation WAS expressly….WHO IS JESUS!". That is such an odd thing to say when Taken did NOT give the whole highlight of that conversation. Taken left out the entire conversation. What about the rest of the conversation and the mentioning of the key? Taken seems to have eluded to the keys when he said, “IS” the KEY that opens the DOOR FOR “the ROCK”. Ie. The SPIRIT of God, The TRUTH of God, TO physically ENTER INTO A MANS HEART." None of that makes any sense to me, but to others it may.

No, Taken, the key that opens the door is not FOR the rock i.e. the spirit of God the truth of God to physically enter into a man's heart. What man taught you that?

The key refers back to Isaiah 22:15-22! The first century Jews knew what Jesus was referring to when he said keys.

Also, Jesus said that YOU are Peter and on this rock I will build my church and I will give YOU the keys and whatever YOU bind on earth and whatever YOU loosen on earth......IMO Taken changes YOU YOU YOU YOU into, Jesus didn't really mean YOU, he meant Peter figured out who Jesus is.

One more tidbit to think about; The name Cephas is an anglicized form of the Aramaic Kepha, which means simply “rock.” There would have been no “small rock” to be found in Jesus’ original statement to Peter.

Thoughts?

Mary

[edited]

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A new thread to mock someone? I guess you haven't had your fill.

Much love!
Yes, a 'new' thread since no one has started a thread (that I can find) in regard to this.

Mock? I will read what I wrote and take out any mocking.

Had my fill of what? Debunking Bizarre teachings.....:watching and waiting:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning the OP in general,

1 Corinthians 3:11 KJV
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Much love!
1 Corinthians 3:11, in context, speaks of Paul laying a foundation with someone else building on it. He further says that each builder must choose with care how to build on it and that no one can lay any foundation other than the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus Christ. Soooo I guess that Paul is adding to the foundation of The Church that Jesus started? Was Peter the 1st rock of the foundation? Is that what you are suggesting Marks?

Much more love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Peter the 1st rock of the foundation? Is that what you are suggesting Marks?
No, that's not what I'm suggesting.

1 Corinthians 3:12 KJV
Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

We're not building on Peter. The foundation is Christ. If any man build . . . on Peter . . . or . . . on this foundation . . . the only foundation is Christ. So no. And therefore "upon this rock will I build" is NOT referring to Peter, lest the Bible contradict itself, which is the necessary result of your teaching.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that's not what I'm suggesting.

1 Corinthians 3:12 KJV
Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

We're not building on Peter. The foundation is Christ. If any man build . . . on Peter . . . or . . . on this foundation . . . the only foundation is Christ. So no. And therefore "upon this rock will I build" is NOT referring to Peter, lest the Bible contradict itself, which is the necessary result of your teaching.

Much love!
Oh goodness marks....I know this is a waste of time but here we go......

A cornerstone is PART of a foundation. Jesus IS the cornerstone for THE Church. In 1 Corinthians Paul said, HE laid a foundation (at the church in Corinth), and someone else is building on it. Paul laid the foundation for the church in Corinth and Christ is the cornerstone of THE Church.

If all you have is a cornerstone THEN THERE IS NO FOUNDATION.

Like Jesus said. Peter is the rock that He will build his Church upon. Not a (singular) church but THE Church. Paul was responsible for a single church in this instance.

goodness gracious.....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or not. I'm quoting to you Scripture, take it or leave it. Jesus is the foundation.

Much love!
You are MISquoting Scripture and not taking it into context........Paul said, HE laid the foundation in Corinth. So how is Jesus the foundation at the church in Corinth?

Goodness gracious........Like I said....a waste of time

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A new thread to mock someone? I guess you haven't had your fill.

Much love!

Remember…for centuries generations of men have been rewarded by men for believing made up lies…@marymog is no different, and when confronted they have a pocket full of negative retorts.

The Highlight in Matt 16: is who Jesus Is.
Peter didn’t “figure” it out.
God told “Simon barJona” who Jesus is.

And before THAT ^ it was Andrew (Peter’s brother) who told him (Simon barJona) that Jesus was the Messiah.

The knowledge is revealed, once Simon barJona, repeated what God told him…
Is Jesus calling Simon barJona, “by the surname Jesus gave Simon barJona” ie “Peter”, would be what Jesus would thereafter call him ie. “Peter”.

No Peter is not said to mean “rock”.

Mark 3:
[16] And Simon he surnamed Peter;

John 1:
[42] And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

Deut 34:
[4] He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

2. Sam 22:
[32] For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

The secondary highlight in Matt 16:
IS, the ROCK upon what Jesus would build HIS CHURCH…being…the VERY Words God told Simon barJona!
“Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God”.

The third highlight in
Matt 16: 19: bind - loose-

Matt 18: expounds

Matt 18:
IS, the Binding and Loosing, which applies to EVERY CONVERTED person’s “acts of forgiving others trespasses against them”…
If a person “forgives”, so shall they be “forgiven”…and thus the binding.
If a person “does not forgive”….so shall they not be “forgiven”….and thus the loosing.

Matt 18:3. Converted
Matt 18:7. Offensses
Matt 18:15. Trespassses
Matt 18:18 Bound/Looses
Matt 18:35 Trespassess

When the Lord Jesus said, He would destroy the Temple and not one STONE would be standing, (He was speaking of man-made brick ) and He would BUILD His Church…
Not a mystery, Chirst’s Church is as “stone upon stone” OF MEN, who become Converted IN Christ, “His Church”, build up the Rock, that Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God….

The knowledge in Scripture is Clear.
The Understanding of Gods Knowledge revealed, comes from God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Brakelite and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are MISquoting Scripture and not taking it into context........Paul said, HE laid the foundation in Corinth. So how is Jesus the foundation at the church in Corinth?

Goodness gracious........Like I said....a waste of time
Goodness is gracious! :)

1 Corinthians 3:10-12 LITV
10) According to God's grace given to me, as a wise master builder, I laid a foundation, but another builds on it. But let each one be careful how he builds.
11) For no one is able to lay any other foundation beside the One having been laid, who is Jesus Christ.
12) And if anyone builds on this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw,

No misquote here, just the LITV with a few underlines and bolded parts.

Paul, as all others, builds on the only foundation there is . . . Jesus Christ our Lord.

Much love!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone considered the possibility that Paul wrote First Corinthians in ignorance of the statement that Matthew records in Matt. 16?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness is gracious! :)

1 Corinthians 3:10-12 LITV
10) According to God's grace given to me, as a wise master builder, I laid a foundation, but another builds on it. But let each one be careful how he builds.
11) For no one is able to lay any other foundation beside the One having been laid, who is Jesus Christ.
12) And if anyone builds on this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw,

No misquote here, just the LITV with a few underlines and bolded parts.

Much love!
They deny, pervert & corrupt the very words of life, instead holding to their own appointed of men successions of this perverted doctrine.

It is seen in the failure to have a RIGHT DIVIDING OF THE WORD FOR THEMSELVES, yet their authorities will NOT stand with them in the judgment.

ALONE, EITHER WITH JESUS, (THE WORD) OR WITHOUT HIM. The devil won't be standing with them either.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone considered the possibility that Paul wrote First Corinthians in ignorance of the statement that Matthew records in Matt. 16?
Personally, I don't assume either way. Paul was taught by Jesus, so, He would have known what He told the disciples in Matthew.

Much love!

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I don't assume either way. Paul was taught by Jesus, so, He would have known what He told the disciples in Matthew.

Much love!
I can't quite bring myself to agree. Jesus likely told his disciples a thousand more things than are recorded in the four canonical gospels. Are you suggesting that Paul knew every one of them?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't quite bring myself to agree. Jesus likely told his disciples a thousand more things than are recorded in the four canonical gospels. Are you suggesting that Paul knew every one of them?
He being Jesus. Jesus taught Paul, and Jesus knew what He told the disciples.

Much love!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a previous discussion by @Taken and @Mr E about Peter being a rock or THE rock. Searching for threads concerning this I could not find any, so I am starting one.

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” 14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

In post #666 of that discussion Taken didn't look at the full context of the discussion between Peter and Jesus. Taken said, "The Whole HIGHLIGHT of THAT conversation WAS expressly….WHO IS JESUS!". That is such an odd thing to say when Taken did NOT give the whole highlight of that conversation. Taken left out the entire conversation. What about the rest of the conversation and the mentioning of the key? Taken seems to have eluded to the keys when he said, “IS” the KEY that opens the DOOR FOR “the ROCK”. Ie. The SPIRIT of God, The TRUTH of God, TO physically ENTER INTO A MANS HEART." None of that makes any sense to me, but to others it may.

No, Taken, the key that opens the door is not FOR the rock i.e. the spirit of God the truth of God to physically enter into a man's heart. What man taught you that?

The key refers back to Isaiah 22:15-22! The first century Jews knew what Jesus was referring to when he said keys.

Also, Jesus said that YOU are Peter and on this rock I will build my church and I will give YOU the keys and whatever YOU bind on earth and whatever YOU loosen on earth......IMO Taken changes YOU YOU YOU YOU into, Jesus didn't really mean YOU, he meant Peter figured out who Jesus is.

One more tidbit to think about; The name Cephas is an anglicized form of the Aramaic Kepha, which means simply “rock.” There would have been no “small rock” to be found in Jesus’ original statement to Peter.

Thoughts?

Mary

[edited]

Jesus' statement has escaped many.

Consider what was also going on (other than what you have believed): Jesus confirmed who He was and how Peter arrived at the answer to His question. Then he in turn confirmed who Peter was, saying "You are Peter." But what was Peter's name before? Not Peter...and where did he get the name Peter? Jesus gave him the name Peter. This is the overlooked framework of the conversation.

Jesus had just confirmed who He was...and then confirmed it again by showing that just as Peter's name was given to him by God (Jesus), God had likewise named Jesus as the Christ...now by Peter's confirmation. Meaning, that the conversation was not about Peter per se, but about the means by which Jesus would also build his church. Which He did by showing Peter just how he too had gotten his own name by God.

He then goes on to include Peter--not in giving him the power of God, but simply by stating of Peter what was thereafter to be true of everyone to be included in His church: "whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." It was not that Jesus was giving Peter a special office, but rather that all people would decide their own eternal fate by their own actions on earth. Thus, it is indeed a personal matter, but not just regarding Peter, but regarding everyone...as it is Jesus alone who holds the "keys of heaven", and He alone who has opened heaven to all who would enter in.

Jesus holds the keys to heaven--not Peter.

Reactions: Brakelite

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He being Jesus. Jesus taught Paul, and Jesus knew what He told the disciples.

Much love!
Sure, Jesus knew everything He told the disciples. The question is, did Paul know everything Jesus told His disciples? That Jesus was Paul's teacher (whatever that may mean) doesn't answer that question. (I've had many teachers. And I don't know even a small fraction of everything they have said to others.)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts?

Mary

[edited]
Where you have paid close attention to the text mostly...you have missed key elements.

Always with Hermeneutics you have to pay attention to anthropology....like Jesus sitting down....meaning that He is teaching an important lesson here for ALL the Apostles.

Secondly,
The information given is not new information....it's been proven and stated by Peter the whole time since his acceptance into the 12. Peter, according to Mark was given the leadership role in the Sending of the 12" account.

3rd.
The location is significant as the elements of the surrounding area are all mentioned by Jesus except for a couple of things.
What was the city named?
Why was it given the second name?
What new elements was it given during this period by the second name?
If a spring (one of the three) is said to be fed by the River Styx....what's it's origin?
The temple there is still being explored and archeologists have dug up many artifacts from the region....maybe discuss that.

4th,
When Jesus says that He will give "you" the keys....as in access to the store/treasure/power rooms of heaven...the "you" this time is a neuter but intended as a PLURAL for all the Apostles. Because the lesson is obviously for ALL the Apostles.

And truthfully it's for everyone today.

Later, in Romans when Paul says "There is therefore no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus" its one of the biggest understatements of all time.

Just saying....
Use Google, use any reputable secular archeology and reputable secular anthropology books you want...see If I'm telling the truth.
PLEASE! Do yourself the favor....figure out what I'm referring to. It's not new information...just regularly ignored because it's not Catholic doctrine.

Reactions: beyondyours11
Status
Not open for further replies.