Pleasing people

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“If you knew how quickly people will forget about you after your death, you will seek to please no one but God.” - John Chrysostom

Spot on or hyperbole?

Reactions: Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, so that they may be saved.”

(1 Corinthians 10:33, NRSV)

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“If you knew how quickly people will forget about you after your death, you will seek to please no one but God.” - John Chrysostom

Spot on or hyperbole?
I believe it's mostly true but there are certainly exceptions.

Ultimately, the meaning of life for each of us is to become close to God. If and when the whole world has abandoned us, we will always have God - and that's all that matters.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, so that they may be saved.”

(1 Corinthians 10:33, NRSV)
That's a great scripture!

I love sharing the word of God with others. I get excited to share the word! It's like "I have great news to share with you!".

• Love
Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I believe it's mostly true but there are certainly exceptions.

There is people pleasing which is good and acceptable to God and people pleasing which is bad and unacceptable to God.

Ultimately, the meaning of life for each of us is to become close to God. If and when the whole world has abandoned us, we will always have God - and that's all that matters.

It is appointed once for man to die. We will be forgotten quickly, even by family, within a couple of generations. God will not forget us.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Spot on or hyperbole?

People do tend to overestimate their importance to others. (looking at this from the other side of things).

There's a saying about a man who thinks himself indispensible, that relates to this-- a poem. We used to relate the idea to retiring fire chiefs, who thought the whole department revolved around them and depended upon them. Five minutes after they finished stirring the water in the bucket, all was still again.... All was as it was before.

It's the flip side of your musing, but making the same point.

Indispensable Man

Saxon White Kessinger

Sometime when you’re feeling important;
Sometime when your ego’s in bloom
Sometime when you take it for granted
You’re the best qualified in the room,
Sometime when you feel that your going
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow these simple instructions
And see how they humble your soul;
Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that’s remaining
Is a measure of how you’ll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop and you’ll find that in no time
It looks quite the same as before.
The moral of this quaint example
Is do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself but remember,
There’s no indispensable man.

Reactions: Matthias

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is people pleasing which is good and acceptable to God and people pleasing which is bad and unacceptable to God.

It is appointed once for man to die. We will be forgotten quickly, even by family, within a couple of generations. God will not forget us.
That's all true. Fortunately, God gave us the ability to mourn passed loved ones and then be able to continue on. Although some cannot, such as a parent that loses a child.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Many years ago I heard a mother say to her child, “Don’t be a people pleaser. God hates that.”

The child listened to his mother, took it to heart, and grew up to be self-centered.

Mother’s training, apparently, was either incomplete or not fully understood.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I usually ask for a verse when people make such proclamations.

In my mind, the child was around ten years old. I don’t know if the child ever asked mother for a verse or if mother ever offered a verse in support of her proclamation.

What verse(s) might she have used?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my mind, the child was around ten years old. I don’t know if the child ever asked mother for a verse or if mother ever offered a verse in support of her proclamation.

What verse(s) might she have used?

No, I wouldn't expect a child to ask for a verse. My point was that many Christians make claims regarding God that aren't necessarily consistent with scripture.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I just googled “God hates people-pleasing” and this was the first hit.

”… God hates people-pleasing.”

The article quotes multiple passages of scripture to support the assertion. Are they valid?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The same organization that published an article critical of people-pleasing (see post #12) published an article extolling people-pleasing, quoting scripture to support the assertion? Are they valid?

Motive is the key.