POlgamy is in the Bible is it okay to Marry Many wifes?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Polgamy is in the bible, is it okay to have mulitple wives?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
images.jpeg

but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy @dev553344

I thought if I married many women, I would get many women to have in heaven?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The person who wrote ECC, had 1,000 concubines. Is it not okay?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess it does cause issuses,

When you look at the story of Hagar and sarah.

Purchased in Egypt, she served as a maid to Abraham's childless wife, Sarah, who gave her to Abraham to conceive an heir. When Hagar became pregnant, her meek manner changed to arrogance; with Abraham's reluctant permission, Sarah treated her so harshly that she fled into the wilderness.

God comes to Hagar and hears her cries.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It’s okay to have many wives.

It’s just not wise to have them in this depraved wicked society we’re living in these days (or legal I think).

And just one wife is troublesome enough… why add more weight to the heavy burdens in this life?

It’s also not inducing of effective non distracting service to God to have many wives and concubines (girlfriends).

OR EVEN ONE WIFE!

“…I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.” (1 Corinthians 7:32-33)

Reactions: ChristisGod

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It’s just not wise to have them in this depraved wicked society we’re living in these days (or legal I think).

And just one wife is troublesome enough… why add more weight to the heavy burdens in this life?

It’s also not inducing of effective non distracting service to God to have many wives and concubines (girlfriends).

OR EVEN ONE WIFE!

“…I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.” (1 Corinthians 7:32-33)
It's probably not OK to have many wives if it wasn't OK for Bishops and Deacons in the NT.

Reactions: Cassandra

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the deal on polygamy and concubinage and marriage.
The Bible never put a moratorium on polygamy or concubinage and the Jews and Christians practiced both for some time after the biblical era. A concubine is more or less a slave and Christ and the Apostles did not denounce slavery, or polygamy or concubinage.
Concubines more or less fell out of favor in Christianity pretty quickly, but as it was the Jews that had multiple wives and concubines did not have to get rid of them to convert to Christianity. This is why Paul had to stipulate to be a leader in a church you had to be husband of one wife....now understand this meant both married and one wife. Even in early Protestantism Martin Luther did not denounce polygamy.

Also the custom of the ladies' father picking her husband and receiving a bride price continued on until the Catholic Church ruled against it around the turn of the millennium. (if memory serves correctly) Catholic Priests were calling their wives concubines and hiding them because the Catholic Church turned against them.....that was when the Church shifted to the celibacy thing for the clergy. But they were really not concubines or slaves.

The Bible does not ever require a wedding ceremony to be married. The union consummated the marriage Old and New Testament and still does today. If you have a wedding and do not have sex, in most places you can get the marriage annulled both civilly or according to the Church because .....the union still consummates the marriage.

The driving force for change in Christianity is probably the Holy Spirit teaching us what is right. I say probably because the changes are not biblical and it is my option that the Holy Spirit is responsible.

Polygamy and concubinage was based on the belief that women were property and treated as such.....Christianity learned over time that this is wrong. They learned that slavery is wrong.
Wedding ceremonies and receptions come from Pagan sources going back several thousand years. When the Gentile Christians took over the helm of Christianity some of their customs followed them in....wedding ceremonies were one of them.....probably the best of the bunch.

Early on during the Protestant reform, they made wedding ceremonies a requirement to be married and the Catholic Church shortly followed suite. Now I want to make something clear, wedding ceremonies are a good custom, if you are in love you should have a wedding ceremony. But if you have sex before the wedding ceremony it is not a sin. Your marriage is not tainted because you had sex before the ceremony. Christianity has made the wedding ceremony a moment to remember and cherish, that is a wonderful thing.

So the bottom line is that in modern Christianity, polygamy and concubinage and slavery is wrong and wedding ceremonies are right.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. You said there was no marriage in heaven? Just wondered where you got
It from? And if you could help show me @dev553344.
Oh OK, I thought everyone was familiar with Christ's teaching on that subject.

Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.

Reactions: MatthewG

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above verse makes me think God can work with people that have sexual problems, as I don't believe we have sexual desires in heaven. Something I have experienced when God has blessed me with heavenly measure of the Holy Spirit, no desires sexually.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh OK, I thought everyone was familiar with Christ's teaching on that subject.

Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.
That gives me something to think about, Dev. Thank you for your help. You also said something about how it deacons or bishops should pertain to one wife, would you consider the case of Hagar and Sarah a good example of what happens when another woman is brought into a relationship?

Cause if God made Adam and Eve, wouldnt his set up? Of one way be dominate?

It wasnt Adam, eve, and sarah and bonnie, and rachel, it doesnt seem like. God would see that as to much for ol Adam.

Reactions: dev553344

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the deal on polygamy and concubinage and marriage.
The Bible never put a moratorium on polygamy or concubinage and the Jews and Christians practiced both for some time after the biblical era. A concubine is more or less a slave and Christ and the Apostles did not denounce slavery, or polygamy or concubinage.
Concubines more or less fell out of favor in Christianity pretty quickly, but as it was the Jews that had multiple wives and concubines did not have to get rid of them to convert to Christianity. This is why Paul had to stipulate to be a leader in a church you had to be husband of one wife....now understand this meant both married and one wife. Even in early Protestantism Martin Luther did not denounce polygamy.

Also the custom of the ladies' father picking her husband and receiving a bride price continued on until the Catholic Church ruled against it around the turn of the millennium. (if memory serves correctly) Catholic Priests were calling their wives concubines and hiding them because the Catholic Church turned against them.....that was when the Church shifted to the celibacy thing for the clergy. But they were really not concubines or slaves.

The Bible does not ever require a wedding ceremony to be married. The union consummated the marriage Old and New Testament and still does today. If you have a wedding and do not have sex, in most places you can get the marriage annulled both civilly or according to the Church because .....the union still consummates the marriage.

The driving force for change in Christianity is probably the Holy Spirit teaching us what is right. I say probably because the changes are not biblical and it is my option that the Holy Spirit is responsible.

Polygamy and concubinage is based on the belief that women were property and treated as such.....Christianity learned over time that this is wrong. They learned that slavery is wrong.
Wedding ceremonies and receptions come from Pagan sources going back several thousand years. When the Gentile Christians took over the helm of Christianity some of their customs followed them in....wedding ceremonies were one of them.....probably the best of the bunch.

Early on during the Protestant reform, they made wedding ceremonies a requirement to be married and the Catholic Church shortly followed suite. Now I want to make something clear, wedding ceremonies are a good custom, if you are in love you should have a wedding ceremony. But if you have sex before the wedding ceremony it is not a sin. Your marriage is not tainted because you had sex before the ceremony. Christianity has made the wedding ceremony a moment to remember and cherish, that is a wonderful thing.

So the bottom line is that in modern Christianity, polygamy and concubinage and slavery is wrong and wedding ceremonies are right.
Hmm, some intetesting insights here grailhunter thank you, for writing.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The person who wrote ECC, had 1,000 concubines. Is it not okay?
Yeah and it took his heart away from GOD . Just like GOD had warned .
Its simply better to be single . However marriage is not a sin . But one wife is plenty .
ONLY IN THE LORD . Dont go marrying buddists , muslims or whateverisms . marry a christain lady or be single .
Gotta say being single has worked out great . Paul was right .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

OR EVEN ONE WIFE!

Hmm, some interesting insights here. Though i cant judge people who wanna enjoy themselves with then pleasures of others, it seems Gods template from the start of Adam and eve would be the best way to go. Thank you for writing Micah.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla