Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know if she's trying to quit? and I'm wondering if hypothetically it's ever disrespectful to pressurize one's wife to quit smoking?
I don’t know, I believe at the moment there are greater issues with us both that need to be resolved.

Reactions: farouk

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There ya' go!

And it is a tranquilizer. Smokers, I think, are either Enjoying, Self Medicating, or Abusing.

Indeed. Just like alcohol, i'm sure for some it is not an addiction but a pleasure (and/or a medicine).

But , just like alcohol, for those of us with an addiction, it is a monster.

Lord Jesus have mercy on us!

B

Butterfly

I think many people start smoking before they are really able to make wise decision, it's usually to show off, peer pressure ect. I tried one as a teenager but hated it -and felt no pressure to conform.
All four of my children have smoked, my ex husband and his family were all smokers. They all came to dislike it as different stages of adult life.
Some smoked because they were addicted, some because it helped them cope.
My daughter and youngest son read a book by ' Alan Carr ' On giving up - it worked instantly with my daughter ( I believe it helps you to understand the mental addiction to smoking ) She has never smoked again. My youngest , it failed the first time because he had been told to give up because of health issues ( he was only 18years old ) it wasn't his choice, so the book didn't work. However when he was ready to make the decision himself, the book help and he quit smoking. My eldest gave up about five years ago. My middle son smokes tobacco from time to time.
I don't think it is a sin, but I equally don't think it is wise- but I find that many you claim the moral high road with drink and smoking often eat many things that are unwise. In the western world we have a lot of food products that equally damage our bodies - I have yet to hear a sermon of ' diet '!!
When we become Christians we are not instantly transformed in to perfect people- coming to faith is when the process of change begins. God deals with the things In our lives in different ways, and at different times.........
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think many people start smoking before they are really able to make wise decision, it's usually to show off, peer pressure ect. I tried one as a teenager but hated it -and felt no pressure to conform.
All four of my children have smoked, my ex husband and his family were all smokers. They all came to dislike it as different stages of adult life.
Some smoked because they were addicted, some because it helped them cope.
My daughter and youngest son read a book by ' Alan Carr ' On giving up - it worked instantly with my daughter ( I believe it helps you to understand the mental addiction to smoking ) She has never smoked again. My youngest , it failed the first time because he had been told to give up because of health issues ( he was only 18years old ) it wasn't his choice, so the book didn't work. However when he was ready to make the decision himself, the book help and he quit smoking. My eldest gave up about five years ago. My middle son smokes tobacco from time to time.
I don't think it is a sin, but I equally don't think it is wise- but I find that many you claim the moral high road with drink and smoking often eat many things that are unwise. In the western world we have a lot of food products that equally damage our bodies - I have yet to hear a sermon of ' diet '!!
When we become Christians we are not instantly transformed in to perfect people- coming to faith is when the process of change begins. God deals with the things In our lives in different ways, and at different times.........
Rita
@Butterfly
Thanks for your thoughtful comments; and I hope that for their own sakes — rather than for the sake of "moralizing", so to speak — all your family members can manage to remain smoke free. You are absolutely right about the way in which in the past some things and practices have been arbitrarily turned into supposed taboos, while others with similar or comparable effects have been ignored. The way in which language is used — or note used — in relation to some things and practices which have sometimes been supposedly turned into taboos is also significant, if at times illogical. For example, people have in the past "moralized" against certain things deemed "addictive", such as cigarettes; and there may been some truth and accuracy to this usage. But if someone eats too many cream cakes, because of a compelling "sweet tooth", the effects may not be healthy but it seems that people can thus indulge even as they criticize other people's behaviour which they call "addictive" such as smoking. Sometimes the word "addictive" and derivatives are also used in a rather informal and not very accurate way, but with a certain vehemence if the person evidently wants to "moralize" against something. For example, if someone is tattooed and likes the artwork and indicates that more such artwork might be obtained, it's possible that certain people eager to voice disapproval and to "moralize" against them will accuse the wearer directly, or say about them behind their backs to others, that he or she is "addicted". The terminology which people use and its contexts can thus sometimes have hidden agendas — sometimes not too hidden, either — lurking not far away, even though from a scientific perspective the terminology is not necessarily warranted. (If this makes sense?)

Again, thanks for your comments, which were thoughtful.

Last edited: