Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I use the vaporizers. I still use nicotine in them and know I could cut them out as well BUT...from my years of research on these things, I find nothing bad about them...
So you're still getting along with your vaping?

Some ppl are aiming at nicotine-free vaping; others who probably really want the inhales are okay with it for now.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the problem goes deeper, into a certain judgmentalism, where one person dictates to another what behavior, other that what is specified in Scripture, is acceptable and not acceptable to God.

Much love!
It's important, what you say, yes.

I think you said you quit smoking, which is great that you managed it; but I guess now that you don't go about "moralizing" against those who haven't yet managed to quit.

(I guess the matter of whether to get a faith tattoo is similar; some Christians will do it, and some won't but either way, giving ppl a hard time about won't achieve much because it's they that will have to learn to live with it, even if they should change their minds.)

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's important, what you say, yes.

I think you said you quit smoking, which is great that you managed it; but I guess now that you don't go about "moralizing" against those who haven't yet managed to quit.

(I guess the matter of whether to get a faith tattoo is similar; some Christians will do it, and some won't but either way, giving ppl a hard time about won't achieve much because it's they that will have to learn to live with it, even if they should change their minds.)

Yes, I smoked for many years, and quit many years ago. And you are correct, if someone smokes, that's their business between them and God. I don't even assume that they should quit.

I always liked what my little sister used to say. If she ever finds out she's terminal, a year to live, she said she's going to start smoking and get a tatoo.

I think it was Harry Blamires, Highway to Heaven, wrote something about the difference between the man who smokes for the sheer love of tobacco, compared to the man who smokes for the effect of the tobacco, IE, as a drug.

The one uses tobacco to reach an end, in the storyline, as an aid to study. The other uses tobacco for the pleasure of the tobacco itself.

I always enjoyed smoking cigarettes, pipes, cigars, but after a year of cough cough, I quit purely for health reasons.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, I smoked for many years, and quit many years ago. And you are correct, if someone smokes, that's their business between them and God. I don't even assume that they should quit.

I always liked what my little sister used to say. If she ever finds out she's terminal, a year to live, she said she's going to start smoking and get a tatoo.

I think it was Harry Blamires, Highway to Heaven, wrote something about the difference between the man who smokes for the sheer love of tobacco, compared to the man who smokes for the effect of the tobacco, IE, as a drug.

The one uses tobacco to reach an end, in the storyline, as an aid to study. The other uses tobacco for the pleasure of the tobacco itself.

I always enjoyed smoking cigarettes, pipes, cigars, but after a year of cough cough, I quit purely for health reasons.

Much love!
Interesting thoughts there! :) Thank-you.

NB: Does your younger sister smoke? (maybe you implied she didn't) and in any case, does she like the idea of getting inked?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting thoughts there! :) Thank-you.

NB: Does your younger sister smoke? (maybe you implied she didn't) and in any case, does she like the idea of getting inked?
She doesn't smoke. And I think she avoids tatoos thinking that she could change her mind later. She actually hasn't mentioned it for years, just that I've always remembered what she said.

Much love!

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Not that I "approve" of it, but it's interesting historically that preachers such as C H Spurgeon smoked; in the days before effective medication for gout - from which he suffered - it is supposed to have given him some relief.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not that I "approve" of it, but it's interesting historically that preachers such as C H Spurgeon smoked; in the days before effective medication for gout - from which he suffered - it is supposed to have given him some relief.
There ya' go!

And it is a tranquilizer. Smokers, I think, are either Enjoying, Self Medicating, or Abusing.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ya' go!

And it is a tranquilizer. Smokers, I think, are either Enjoying, Self Medicating, or Abusing.
I just sent up a burnt offering, and I would say all three of these apply.
I do believe it’s time for me to quit though, because it’s not very healthy.
As for the OP it’s only a sin for those who seek to save their lives.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I just sent up a burnt offering, and I would say all three of these apply.
I do believe it’s time for me to quit though, because it’s not very healthy.
As for the OP it’s only a sin for those who seek to save their lives.
Does Mrs. Waiting on Him smoke as well?

(Often quitting is easier if one's spouse has already quit, etc.)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does Mrs. Waiting on Him smoke as well?

(Often quitting is easier if one's spouse has already quit, etc.)
Yes, she does. I can see how this can be a stumbling block. For the religiously elite, and for those coming to Christ.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, she does. I can see how this can be a stumbling block. For the religiously elite, and for those coming to Christ.
Well it's possible to be a smoker, and stay away from certain people when it's done (children, and others, etc.).

While a mother or father's own children may know that the parent in question is a smoker, it doesn't have to be 'in their faces', so to speak.

You wife probably just feels she needs the inhales from time to time, anyway.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@VictoryinJesus Back a while, you said:
I have smoked since I was sixteen years old.
If I were you, I would not beat yourself up. If it bothers certain ppl, you might find ways of not doing it in front of them. But beating yourself up doesn't achieve anything; since you've done it for so long, your system probably thinks it needs some inhales from time to time. If you can cut down, and even quit, fine; but don't beat yourself up about it, one way or another.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, she does.
Although spouses smoke as individuals, spousal smoking can be a collective, household situation, ranging from husbands and wives who can smoke together if they wish, to coordinating attempts to quit. I guess you guys will long ago have found your own level, together, as far as smoking is concerned.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus Back a while, you said: If I were you, I would not beat yourself up. If it bothers certain ppl, you might find ways of not doing it in front of them. But beating yourself up doesn't achieve anything; since you've done it for so long, your system probably thinks it needs some inhales from time to time. If you can cut down, and even quit, fine; but don't beat yourself up about it, one way or another.

Farouk, you have an excellent memory. :oops:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She doesn't smoke. And I think she avoids tatoos thinking that she could change her mind later. She actually hasn't mentioned it for years, just that I've always remembered what she said.

Much love!
Sounds like she really wouldn't mind doing both...