Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you love yourself if you ruin your lungs?
Is the body the temple of God?

Were there cigarettes back then?

I'm not saying it's a sin...just answering your question.

I DO believe it's advisable never to start.

There is not a command to love yourself?
Mathew 22:39

So as long as there's no fornication..I can do what I want with the temple of God?

Touch not, taste not.
Now YOU are taking a verse out of context....
or are you? Too tired to find out.

Thanks for your reply.

Huh?
I don't challenge people,
I talk to them.

Yeah, well, whatever. I guess we have different definitions of the word 'challenge'. LOL

Reactions: GodsGrace

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So what do ppl think?

1) I think it is covered under, "Everything is permitted but not everything is beneficial". We should take care of our bodies as well as we can--that we owe it, out of gratitude, to the One who created it. 2) I have often seen 1 Corinthians 3:17 quoted in regard to smoking but I really don't think that is the theme of 1 Cor. 3. I believe that passage is referring to the Body of Christ when it speaks of the "temple of the Holy Spirit". We have no need of the Jerusalem Temple now because the Church is still here for the people of God. 3) All that is to say that, while smoking is not very wise--knowing what we do about its disease-causing properties--it is still not something that we should get legalistic about. C.S. Lewis liked to smoke a pipe and sip a bit of brandy in the evening. We are saved by our faith not by our behavior. 4) We are ALL dying every day of our lives. Some things we do probably hasten our death. Eating too much and eating junk food is a "sin" that no one in the churches speaks much about--but may be as death-promoting as smoking--considering the Type II diabetes epidemic, which definitely shortens the lifespan. 5) Other health-promoting habits can possibly forestall death. But, since Paul told us that "to die is to gain" why should we worry like the health-obsessed crowd does? Believe me, I have seen people do bizarre things in order to live longer--or so they think. (Coffee enemas?? Gross.). A doughnut would never cross their lips, and they spend two hours at the gym every day. But, in the end, they will die too. We who are children of God have the assurance that we will be going on to something infinitely better than this life.

6)"It was for freedom that Christ set us free." Don't let anyone take your freedom away by trying to shame you. If you quit smoking, or eating junk food, do it to please Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The "you" there is plural. Know ye not that y'all are the temple of God?

I believe you have it right.

Much love!

Too bad that standard English doesn't include a singular and plural "you". "Y'all" and "You'uns" serve a definite linguistic purpose! ;) LOL

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad that standard English doesn't include a singular and plural "you". "Y'all" and "You'uns" serve a definite linguistic purpose! ;) LOL

And some don't like the King James! They knew how to write!

Much love!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not the real Marlboro man.
Could you post him please.
You know who I mean....
I'm on a phone...
8642915-old-man-smoking.jpg

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
1) I think it is covered under, "Everything is permitted but not everything is beneficial". We should take care of our bodies as well as we can--that we owe it, out of gratitude, to the One who created it. 2) I have often seen 1 Corinthians 3:17 quoted in regard to smoking but I really don't think that is the theme of 1 Cor. 3. I believe that passage is referring to the Body of Christ when it speaks of the "temple of the Holy Spirit". We have no need of the Jerusalem Temple now because the Church is still here for the people of God. 3) All that is to say that, while smoking is not very wise--knowing what we do about its disease-causing properties--it is still not something that we should get legalistic about. C.S. Lewis liked to smoke a pipe and sip a bit of brandy in the evening. We are saved by our faith not by our behavior. 4) We are ALL dying every day of our lives. Some things we do probably hasten our death. Eating too much and eating junk food is a "sin" that no one in the churches speaks much about--but may be as death-promoting as smoking--considering the Type II diabetes epidemic, which definitely shortens the lifespan. 5) Other health-promoting habits can possibly forestall death. But, since Paul told us that "to die is to gain" why should we worry like the health-obsessed crowd does? Believe me, I have seen people do bizarre things in order to live longer--or so they think. (Coffee enemas?? Gross.). A doughnut would never cross their lips, and they spend two hours at the gym every day. But, in the end, they will die too. We who are children of God have the assurance that we will be going on to something infinitely better than this life.

6)"It was for freedom that Christ set us free." Don't let anyone take your freedom away by trying to shame you. If you quit smoking, or eating junk food, do it to please Him.
Spurgeon used to smoke as well. (It apparently eased his gout...o_O)

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Spurgeon used to smoke as well. (It apparently eased his gout...o_O)

There is an emotional component to gout, apparently. Stress causes higher uric acid levels (the causative factor in gout). Smokers tell me that smoking eases their stress.:confused:

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There is an emotional component to gout, apparently. Stress causes higher uric acid levels (the causative factor in gout). Smokers tell me that smoking eases their stress.:confused:
A lot of teenaged girls smoke; with the many emotional roller-coasters that teenaged girls typically encounter, smoking can often be a part of growing up.

(I'm putting this as a statement of fact, and not necessarily saying this is either good or bad or indifferent.)

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Lady Crosstalk PS: Since you probably quit years ago (or maybe even never smoked) sometimes for us it can be more a distant thing to remember the emotional struggles of young ppl starting out in life.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Acolyte A while ago you said:
My parents and grandparents smoked, and my children smoke. My grandchildren do not smoke. A blessing I am very grateful for. 1 of them vapes, which I tried but my doctor told me if I had to smoke, smoke. Something about side effects for vaping wouldn't be known for a few decades. Either way its just not worth it...as i light a cig.

I guess your doctor knows what he is talking about if he says to you, Stick to cigarettes rather than vape; although it's not advice that is often publicized.

So quit if you can; but I don't believe in beating up on ppl who smoke. I don't believe in that sort of guilt-manipulation, of which there is too much.