Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Always"?

Im not sure it ever is...who has defined it as sin.
"Anything that is not 'of faith' is sin..."

IMHO it is a stupid , money wasting , foolish thing to do.
But sin? I do not think so.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was never a sin. Which commandment did it break?
Smoking violates this commandment:
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (1 Cor 6:19,20)

1. There is not a single sane person who will deny that cigarette smoke contains harmful pollutants, and also contains some poisonous components.

'Cigarette smoke is a concentrated aerosol of liquid particles suspended in an atmosphere consisting mainly of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. While the precise chemical composition of the particulate and gaseous phases is dependent on the characteristics of the cigarette and the manner in which it is smoked, both phases contain tens of hundreds of individual constitutents. Notable among potentially hazardous constituents of smoke are tar, nicotine, carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, hydrogen cyanide, acrolein, benzo(a)pyrene, and N-nitrosamines.'
ww.osti.gov/biblio/5761374

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:
  • Acetone—found in nail polish remover
  • Acetic acid—an ingredient in hair dye
  • Ammonia—a common household cleaner
  • Arsenic—used in rat poison
  • Benzene—found in rubber cement and gasoline
  • Butane—used in lighter fluid
  • Cadmium—active component in battery acid
  • Carbon monoxide—released in car exhaust fumes
  • Formaldehyde—embalming fluid
  • Hexamine—found in barbecue lighter fluid
  • Lead—used in batteries
  • Naphthalene—an ingredient in mothballs
  • Methanol—a main component in rocket fuel
  • Nicotine—used as an insecticide
  • Tar—material for paving roads
  • Toluene—used to manufacture paint
What's In a Cigarette?

2. There is not a single Christian who could say in good conscience that smoking glorifies God.

CASE CLOSED.

Reactions: brakelite

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (1 Cor 6:19,20)

1. There is not a single sane person who will deny that cigarette smoke contains harmful pollutants, and also contains some poisonous components.

'Cigarette smoke is a concentrated aerosol of liquid particles suspended in an atmosphere consisting mainly of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. While the precise chemical composition of the particulate and gaseous phases is dependent on the characteristics of the cigarette and the manner in which it is smoked, both phases contain tens of hundreds of individual constitutents. Notable among potentially hazardous constituents of smoke are tar, nicotine, carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, hydrogen cyanide, acrolein, benzo(a)pyrene, and N-nitrosamines.'

2. There is not a single Christian who could say in good conscience that smoking glorifies God.

CASE CLOSED.
Spurgeon smoked. (It gave relief to his gout.)

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

• Acetone—found in nail polish remover
    • Acetic acid—an ingredient in hair dye
    • Ammonia—a common household cleaner
    • Arsenic—used in rat poison
    • Benzene—found in rubber cement and gasoline
    • Butane—used in lighter fluid
    • Cadmium—active component in battery acid
    • Carbon monoxide—released in car exhaust fumes
    • Formaldehyde—embalming fluid
    • Hexamine—found in barbecue lighter fluid
    • Lead—used in batteries
    • Naphthalene—an ingredient in mothballs
    • Methanol—a main component in rocket fuel
    • Nicotine—used as an insecticide
    • Tar—material for paving roads
    • Toluene—used to manufacture paint
What's In a Cigarette?

CASE CLOSED.
I'm just not into the walk of legalism...

Colossians 2:20-22 NASBS
[20] If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, [21] "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" [22] (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)-in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?

...unless it will cause my weaker brother to stumble.
(BTW, I don't smoke)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Colossians 2:20-22 NASBS
[20] If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, [21] "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" [22] (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)-in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?

...unless it will cause my weaker brother to stumble.
(BTW, I don't smoke)
It's probably something to do with fundamentalist culture that makes ppl say it's a sin (as opposed to whatever else).

Reactions: Pearl

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's probably something to do with fundamentalist culture that makes ppl say it's a sin (as opposed to whatever else).
I'm a fundamentalist in my doctrine, but not a legalist in my practice. But smoking is a matter of conscience and I believe falls into the admonitions of Romans 14...

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Rom 14:1-3 KJV) etc.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm a fundamentalist in my doctrine, but not a legalist in my practice. But smoking is a matter of conscience and I believe falls into the admonitions of Romans 14...

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Rom 14:1-3 KJV) etc.
Sounds like a good self-definition, if I may say so...

So many ppl seem to think along the lines of: If I am to defend my preferences with confidence, I need to beat up on other people about them...

Reactions: prism and Acolyte

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I'm weak. But I am sober and not wanting of anything. Just can't seem to shake it.

(My phone is in need of a charge, will be back)

Blessings.

Reactions: Pearl and farouk

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Really? You asked for a commandment, and now that you saw one that would be violated it suddenly became "legalism"? To me that is a denial of plain Bible truth on your part.

Reactions: brakelite