Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, I've never seen it as a sin more of a bad habit that turns into an addiction. Some groups though, like JWs and Mormons won't allow it in their membership.
Yes, some turn the grace of God into licentiousness, but most like the above turn God's grace into works righteousness.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There was a time not too long ago when doctors were prescribing tobacco for tuberculosis. Today, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone not to be fully aware of the harmful effects of tobacco, and the fully documented evidence that smoking does kill. Such killing is deliberate, slow, purposeful, unnecessary,...it is slow suicide. There are no mitigating circumstances as with some suicides...mental issues such as depression etc...smoking is nothing but a pernicious killer. Of course it's a sin. That doesn't mean God doesn't love the smoker and will bless him/her even while smoking...but don't try to convince me that He approves or 'winks' at it ...He cares that we be healthy if for no other reason than as a witness to His power. Smoking is one of the worst testimonies a Christian can display. People lighting up outside of church...(not new Christians)...elders, deacons and mature members, is a sure sign to the unbeliever that our words of "victory" are just hollow nonsense.
Spurgeon smoked. (It helped his gout, apparently.)

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I see it this way;

Heaven will be free of all sin. I don’t believe there will be smoking in Heaven. So therefore yes, I believe smoking is a sin.

But like I testified to in my prior post. It’s up to what and when God is working in a life.

Anyways, I went and voted.

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me
I appreciate your experience and conviction in this.

What do you make of the fact that Spurgeon smoked?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see smoking as a sin but I know that certain organisations like JWs and Mormons do. But then to them drinking alcohol is also a sin and I wonder if eating chocolate or cake is also sinful to some people. But we shouldn't judge people. My husband smoked for years but gave it up seven years ago and on the doctor's advice started vaping instead. He is now using nil nicotine liquids. He used to feel guilty sometimes about smoking but it helped him connect with other men who did. And if anybody challenged him he would tell them that it was between him and God.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't see smoking as a sin but I know that certain organisations like JWs and Mormons do. But then to them drinking alcohol is also a sin and I wonder if eating chocolate or cake is also sinful to some people. But we shouldn't judge people. My husband smoked for years but gave it up seven years ago and on the doctor's advice started vaping instead. He is now using nil nicotine liquids. He used to feel guilty sometimes about smoking but it helped him connect with other men who did. And if anybody challenged him he would tell them that it was between him and God.
Great he managed to switch to vaping; but in any case, like you say, it's his business.

Interesting he said "it helped him connect with other men who did". I guess this is a very similar argument among Christian young ppl who get tattooed; it's a huge connection with others who are inked and a very effective conversation-starter.

Reactions: Pearl

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate your experience and conviction in this.

What do you make of the fact that Spurgeon smoked?

Nothing at all.

I can only put forth how God has worked in my life.

Like I said in my other post. God works in a persons life, at His time and His way. As long as one’s heart stay soft and open before God. Let God do His thing. We are to be obedient when He does move. For it is one’s personal relationship with Christ that is the issue. If it is alive a growing, God will perfect that which concerns the believer.

So to righteousness let our hearts cry after. Knowing He loves righteousness.

Blessings,

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nothing at all.

I can only put forth how God has worked in my life.

Like I said in my other post. God works in a persons life, at His time and His way. As long as one’s heart stay soft and open before God. Let God do His thing. We are to be obedient when He does move. For it is one’s personal relationship with Christ that is the issue. If it is alive a growing, God will perfect that which concerns the believer.

So to righteousness let our hearts cry after. Knowing He loves righteousness.

Blessings,

Great answer! thank-you! :)

Reactions: Not me

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When news reports speak sometimes of smoke inhalation, it's really about extreme heat in the lungs, so often.

Glad you made it safely in the end.
One of the pastors at my church had that happen, the extreme heat. He was an apartment manager, changing a stove, and the line was live, and ignited. He inhaled the hot air, and now has COPD. Of course, he could no longer be an apartment manager, so that what when he became a full time pastor.

I wonder . . . why is it so many pastors suffer such afflictions?

Much love!
Mark

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the pastors at my church had that happen, the extreme heat. He was an apartment manager, changing a stove, and the line was live, and ignited. He inhaled the hot air, and now has COPD. Of course, he could no longer be an apartment manager, so that what when he became a full time pastor.

I wonder . . . why is it so many pastors suffer such afflictions?

Much love!
Mark
Perhaps it's a sort of Jonah thing and they need a bit of a push.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Heart2Soul I know you said the cold weather helped you quit; I hope the warm weather now isn't proving problematic.

As regards the 'Is is a sin?' idea, I do struggle with the idea that smoking is always a sin.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul I know you said the cold weather helped you quit; I hope the warm weather now isn't proving problematic.

As regards the 'Is is a sin?' idea, I do struggle with the idea that smoking is always a sin.
Hi farouk,

I'm wondering, what is it about smoking that makes it sinful?

Much love!

Reactions: Helen