Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between "we can come up with all kinds of laws" and plain commandments of God which are to be obeyed without question. It is God who says that you are to glorify God IN YOUR BODY.

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (1 Cor 6:19,20)

So how does poisoning your body with nicotine, smoke, drugs, or hallucinogens glorify God??? How does applying pagan/criminal/gangsterish tattoos on your body glorify God??? How does immodest dressing glorify God??? Christians want to become Antinomians simply because of God's grace. And that is not what grace is all about. Just as no unclean thing could ever be allowed into the ts,abernacle and temple, the same applies to the temple of the Holy Spirit (the Christian's body).

"It is God who says that you are to glorify God IN YOUR BODY."
Yes, and I agree! That is why I am now so much healthier, I no longer eat like I did for DECADES! I self induced Type 2 diabetes. After doing what I needed to do...in HIS time. It isn't cookie cutter Enoch. Some have a much tougher time and ALL have come from somewhere you have never been. But, are we willing and praying to rid ourselves of these vices? I think we are...at least Christ followers, anyhow. They know the things that are not good for their physical bodies and will come to deliverance int their time; God only knows it took me a very, very, very long time to submit every single thing to Him...AND, am still working on it. ♥
BTW-have been off of Metformin for going on two years now ♥

Reactions: prism and Enoch111

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smoking violates this commandment:
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (1 Cor 6:19,20)

1. There is not a single sane person who will deny that cigarette smoke contains harmful pollutants, and also contains some poisonous components.

'Cigarette smoke is a concentrated aerosol of liquid particles suspended in an atmosphere consisting mainly of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. While the precise chemical composition of the particulate and gaseous phases is dependent on the characteristics of the cigarette and the manner in which it is smoked, both phases contain tens of hundreds of individual constitutents. Notable among potentially hazardous constituents of smoke are tar, nicotine, carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, hydrogen cyanide, acrolein, benzo(a)pyrene, and N-nitrosamines.'
ww.osti.gov/biblio/5761374

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

• Acetone—found in nail polish remover
    • Acetic acid—an ingredient in hair dye
    • Ammonia—a common household cleaner
    • Arsenic—used in rat poison
    • Benzene—found in rubber cement and gasoline
    • Butane—used in lighter fluid
    • Cadmium—active component in battery acid
    • Carbon monoxide—released in car exhaust fumes
    • Formaldehyde—embalming fluid
    • Hexamine—found in barbecue lighter fluid
    • Lead—used in batteries
    • Naphthalene—an ingredient in mothballs
    • Methanol—a main component in rocket fuel
    • Nicotine—used as an insecticide
    • Tar—material for paving roads
    • Toluene—used to manufacture paint
What's In a Cigarette?

2. There is not a single Christian who could say in good conscience that smoking glorifies God.

CASE CLOSED.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"It is God who says that you are to glorify God IN YOUR BODY."
Yes, and I agree! That is why I am now so much healthier, I no longer eat like I did for DECADES! I self induced Type 2 diabetes. After doing what I needed to do...in HIS time. It isn't cookie cutter Enoch. Some have a much tougher time and ALL have come from somewhere you have never been. But, are we willing and praying to rid ourselves of these vices? I think we are...at least Christ followers, anyhow. They know the things that are not good for their physical bodies and will come to deliverance int their time; God only knows it took me a very, very, very long time to submit every single thing to Him...AND, am still working on it. ♥
BTW-have been off of Metformin for going on two years now ♥
Yeah, and don't forget to drink a little wine for your health, yeah.....

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That says 'as yourself' meaning it's assumed already you love yourself. No Commandment needed. Notice in vs. 40, Jesus said 'on these two'. Which two? 1.Love God. 2 Love neighbor. There is no third to 'love self'.

The moral law is summed up in the 10 Commandments. There is no 11th, "Thou shalt not smoke" or every Christian living in a smog polluted city is sinning.

I just woke up from a nap. LOL
I'm not going to argue this P,,,it's not important enough.
Jesus said to love yourself.
Our body is a temple.
I never said there was an 11th commandment.
All summed up in the 2 as you've stated.
I NEVER said it's a sin for everyone.

That's about it.
Not much more to say.
:)

Reactions: Grailhunter

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our body is a temple.

That's about it.
Not much more to say.
Someone said you were a New York City chain smoker, but I don't believe it.

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Interesting that proportionately so many ppl have responded that smoking is not necessarily a sin. (Maybe the question is poorly phrased, but there have been many sensible and thoughtful comments.)

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our body is a temple.

That's about it.
Not much more to say.
Funny, many want to argue the body=Temple verse but overlook this one in their strife to be right...

Romans 14:1-4 NASBS
[1] Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. [2] One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. [3] The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. [4] Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Funny, many want to argue the body=Temple verse but overlook this one in their strife to be right...

[1] Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. [2] One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. [3] The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. [4] Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
Good reference.

It's good to keep one's thinking Godward.

Reactions: prism and Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

And this means?

Reactions: Grailhunter