Poll and thread: Is smoking always a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is smoking always a sin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your comment. Don't beat yourself up.

Did you vote in the poll? :)

Yes I voted. As I cannot judge others, maybe not even myself, I chose #3.

Hope we all realize the entry to old cities was quite narrow.. when people arrived at the gates if the camel was laden with a full load, it could not get through, but if his load be removed he could. Maybe we need to get rid of our worldly baggage, not just possessions, but the guilt we carry, the judgement we say we don't but do. (maybe just me and mine)

Blessings

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I voted. As I cannot judge others, maybe not even myself, I chose #3.

Hope we all realize the entry to old cities was quite narrow.. when people arrived at the gates if the camel was laden with a full load, it could not get through, but if his load be removed he could. Maybe we need to get rid of our worldly baggage, not just possessions, but the guilt we carry, the judgement we say we don't but do. (maybe just me and mine)

Blessings
Thanks for your comment!

I see what you are saying.

The preacher Spurgeon smoked, actually. (He lived 1836-1892.) I do think the whole subject is more complex than a simple no-no.

Reactions: Acolyte

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? You asked for a commandment, and now that you saw one that would be violated it suddenly became "legalism"? To me that is a denial of plain Bible truth on your part.
Sorry, yours was not a Commandment not to smoke but your deduction from Scripture. Mine to you was a clear principle of love, not to judge one another in these type of matters.

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
(Rom 14:1-4 KJV)

Reactions: Acolyte

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sorry, yours was not a Commandment not to smoke but your deduction from Scripture. Mine to you was a clear principle of love, not to judge one another in these type of matters.

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
(Rom 14:1-4 KJV)
Good passage there.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what do ppl think?

I can only say what I know and have learned by experience. Whether you believe or not, is totally up to you.

I was a 30 plus year smoker. Knew I knew God and He knew me. Try as I might I couldn’t quit. When I got my eyes on the fact I was smoking I would lose my peace. As long as a kept my eyes on Christ regardless of my smoking the peace of Christ I could, would, and did experience.

God had and was opening up the truth of us having, “died in Christ”, to me to a degree, but I still smoked.

One morning as I got out of bed in “knew” today was the day. God spoke to my heart and said. “If you reckon yourself dead to smoking you will never smoke another cigarette as long as you live. If you choose to smoke, I will still love and bless you but there will be as it were smoke between us.”

I said I wanted nothing at all between Him and me so I reckoned myself dead to smoking and 15 or so years later have never smoked another.

Faith comes by hearing the word of God. And acting on that word that comes from His mouth is the word that never returns void.

Whether smoking is a sin, you decide, all I know is what my life has experienced.

Blessings as we all pursue Christ with all our hearts.

Much love in Christ, Not me

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Former smoker of 20 years (I smoked cigars)... I beat it! But it is not a sin directly. It is harmful to your health and potentially those around you ( even pets), it is a terrible waste of money and it stinks... Literally. I never knew how bad it smelled until I quit.

To those of you who want to bring up 1 Cor 6:19... You are missing the entire point! The flesh is not the temple! If nothing else, this same chapter says all things are lawful, but not expedient. Smoking is lawful. It's not expedient.

Reactions: Acolyte and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Former smoker of 20 years (I smoked cigars)... I beat it! But it is not a sin directly. It is harmful to your health and potentially those around you ( even pets), it is a terrible waste of money and it stinks... Literally. I never knew how bad it smelled until I quit.

To those of you who want to bring up 1 Cor 6:19... You are missing the entire point! The flesh is not the temple! If nothing else, this same chapter says all things are lawful, but not expedient. Smoking is lawful. It's not expedient.
Sensible sounding comments; thank-you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can only say what I know and have learned by experience. Whether you believe or not, is totally up to you.

I was a 30 plus year smoker. Knew I knew God and He knew me. Try as I might I couldn’t quit. When I got my eyes on the fact I was smoking I would lose my peace. As long as a kept my eyes on Christ regardless of my smoking the peace of Christ I could, would, and did experience.

God had and was opening up the truth of us having, “died in Christ”, to me to a degree, but I still smoked.

One morning as I got out of bed in “knew” today was the day. God spoke to my heart and said. “If you reckon yourself dead to smoking you will never smoke another cigarette as long as you live. If you choose to smoke, I will still love and bless you but there will be as it were smoke between us.”

I said I wanted nothing at all between Him and me so I reckoned myself dead to smoking and 15 or so years later have never smoked another.

Faith comes by hearing the word of God. And acting on that word that comes from His mouth is the word that never returns void.

Whether smoking is a sin, you decide, all I know is what my life has experienced.

Blessings as we all pursue Christ with all our hearts.

Thank-you for your comments! good to know your particular testimony in this regard.

Reactions: Not me

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have no wish to promote smoking. It just seems to me that sometimes arguments against it are used which are of such an unusual nature that if such styles of argument were adopted in other, directly doctrinal areas they would soon undermine sound thinking.

Reactions: Nancy

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like you might have chosen option 1) if you had voted...

I see it this way;

Heaven will be free of all sin. I don’t believe there will be smoking in Heaven. So therefore yes, I believe smoking is a sin.

But like I testified to in my prior post. It’s up to what and when God is working in a life.

Anyways, I went and voted.

Blessings,

Reactions: Acolyte and farouk
B

brakelite

There was a time not too long ago when doctors were prescribing tobacco for tuberculosis. Today, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone not to be fully aware of the harmful effects of tobacco, and the fully documented evidence that smoking does kill. Such killing is deliberate, slow, purposeful, unnecessary,...it is slow suicide. There are no mitigating circumstances as with some suicides...mental issues such as depression etc...smoking is nothing but a pernicious killer. Of course it's a sin. That doesn't mean God doesn't love the smoker and will bless him/her even while smoking...but don't try to convince me that He approves or 'winks' at it ...He cares that we be healthy if for no other reason than as a witness to His power. Smoking is one of the worst testimonies a Christian can display. People lighting up outside of church...(not new Christians)...elders, deacons and mature members, is a sure sign to the unbeliever that our words of "victory" are just hollow nonsense.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It was never a sin. Which commandment did it break?
Pushing it on someone or blowing smoke in their face may be sinning, as it is not loving others as yourself.
I agree, I've never seen it as a sin more of a bad habit that turns into an addiction. Some groups though, like JWs and Mormons won't allow it in their membership.