Poll Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should i Read the bible for myself

• Yes (give me a book to start on)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No (reason please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
From your multiple posts, I was getting the impression that you wanted to leave this misguided group. Therefore you should be aware of their false beliefs. They wish to believe that Jesus is a creature, not the Creator. Hence they made him "a god".
i don't want to leave it maybe when i get done reading the bible that could happen.

but right now i am staying until i find problems.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the New World Translation that identifies Jesus as a god in John 1:1, thus we say it is a belief of the jw's, since they hold that translation authoritative above those translations that are true and of the ultimate authority.

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Very frankly and honestly, THAT IS A DANGEROUS STATEMENT.

There are any number of ailments and/or conditions for which fasting could prove highly detrimental to a person's health
It was a joke, a gag, one thing that annoys me about a great deal of believers is they are too serious. We can't have a laugh, maybe today Jesus will return and we'll all have to pay attention.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is sobering to realize that the very first statement Jesus made about fasting dealt with the question of motive (Matt. 6:16–18). To use good things to our own ends is always the sign of false religion. How easy it is to take something like fasting and try to use it to get God to do what we want. At times there is such stress upon the blessings and benefits of fasting that we would be tempted to believe that with a little fast we could have the world, including God, eating out of our hands.

See Isaiah 58:4-7.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you say that like a derogatory term

Michael,

That's what happens when you cherry pick 2 words, 'a JW', from a sentence I wrote.

The entire sentence at #13 was: 'John's Gospel has some challenging theology in it, especially for the JW, e.g. John 1:1; John 5:17-18; John 8:58; John 10:30-33.'

My sentence was not derogatory towards JWs but those verses represent 'challenging theology' because they promote the Jesus who is rejected by the JWs, e.g. Jesus is God.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is the New World Translation that identifies Jesus as a god in John 1:1, thus we say it is a belief of the jw's, since they hold that translation authoritative above those translations that are true and of the ultimate authority.

jbf,

That's why I wanted to know from the JW who the translators were of the NWT and their knowledge of the biblical languages.

Oz

Reactions: Willie T

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

jbf,

One of the finest biblical Greek linguists of the 20th century was the late Bruce Metzger. He wrote an assessment of the New World Translation in, 'The Jehovah’s Witnesses and Jesus Christ: A Biblical and Theological Appraisal'.

Even though he wrote this article in 1953, I find its exegetical examination of the NWT and the Russelites / JWs doctrines to be a penetrating assessment.

Oz

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
jbf,

That's why I wanted to know from the JW who the translators were of the NWT and their knowledge of the biblical languages.

Oz
He is only seventeen and would have no knowledge at his age of who those translators were. But if you have the information, perhaps you should let us know who they were and why they weren't worthy to translate that bible into existence.

Because I recall in studying this, while I don't remember the names, that the particular scholars who translated the NeWT weren't qualified enough to do so in their understanding of the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic languages.

Reactions: Mister Michael

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
He is only seventeen and would have no knowledge at his age of who those translators were. But if you have the information, perhaps you should let us know who they were and why they weren't worthy to translate that bible into existence.

Because I recall in studying this, while I don't remember the names, that the particular scholars who translated the NeWT weren't qualified enough to do so in their understanding of the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic languages.
thank you just i don't know anything behind the watchtower.

i only know jw meetings watch tower study.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Michael,

That's what happens when you cherry pick 2 words, 'a JW', from a sentence I wrote.

The entire sentence at #13 was: 'John's Gospel has some challenging theology in it, especially for the JW, e.g. John 1:1; John 5:17-18; John 8:58; John 10:30-33.'

My sentence was not derogatory towards JWs but those verses represent 'challenging theology' because they promote the Jesus who is rejected by the JWs, e.g. Jesus is God.

Oz
wrong you said "the jw" like a propagandist

i have no interest in this debate.

Reactions: amadeus

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Well, I used to also believe (because I was told this) that Revelation was written in AD 94. I have since read enough evidence to believe it was, instead, written about 66 or 67.
Yes, I know that current biblical scholars have changed their belief about different matters. I was more interested in where John died. Has that changed or don't I remember correctly? I thought it was Patmos where he had been banished after boiling him in hot oil didn't work!

I'll google it; although I don't really like learning from Google.
But it IS the modern way, isn't it?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GodsGrace,

John's Gospel has some challenging theology in it, especially for the JW, e.g. John 1:1; John 5:17-18; John 8:58; John 10:30-33.

I'd recommend starting with what is considered to be the first Gospel, the Gospel of Mark, and then go to the Book of Acts which describes the preaching of the Gospel and the spread of the early church.

Oz
I agree with you, I did consider this. I doubt a 17 year old would pick up on the difficult theology...

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Yes, I know that current biblical scholars have changed their belief about different matters. I was more interested in where John died. Has that changed or don't I remember correctly? I thought it was Patmos where he had been banished after boiling him in hot oil didn't work!

I'll google it; although I don't really like learning from Google.
But it IS the modern way, isn't it?
John was a insurgent, that's why he was banned and sent away. It was the Church that decided that he must live alone on Patmos.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
John was a insurgent, that's why he was banned and sent away. It was the Church that decided that he must live alone on Patmos.
Right. But another poster here is saying that John died in Ephesus.
Do you know if John died in Ephesus or on the island of Patmos?